ADVERTISEMENT

The final tale of the 2023 season

I'm still processing my thoughts over the entirety of the season. Went to every home game and stayed until the games were over. I am a very big supporter of Jeff and I really wanted him back as a HC the first time. Yes if you told me we would go 10-4 in his first season, I probably would have doubted you. However, the way in which we ended up the season on a sour note was extremely frustrating. Looking back I think the most frustrating aspect of the season was Plummer.

I'm sure most have heard the story about when Plummer was at Purdue and Jeff would get in his face whenever he felt like he needed too. Jeff admitted that he probably made a mistake doing that resulting in Plummer leaving Purdue. Well, in hindsight whispering in his ear or seemingly not holding him accountable for his miscues might have cost us an ACC championship and/or a bowl game. After the fiasco in Charlotte, I was perfectly fine with playing the younger QB's especially Clarkson. I think in Jeff's mind he thought well we lost to UK, lets go win the ACC championship and then when we lost that, we need to end the season with a win.

If we can't win a game with a backup QB (like other teams have done to us) especially when Plummer hurt his right pinkie and couldn't hold on to the ball then first it makes me wonder about why we hadn't developed any other QB's but more importantly why Jeff seem to stay loyal to one player especially knowing this was it for Plummer. I think in my mind, Jeff really thought we could go and win against USC and end the season with a win. For me, I was already past that when we lost to UK and FSU. Next year we have a tougher schedule. Sorry for the novel. Did I mention I was frustrated...

We should try to win every game. The coaching staff needs to play the players who give us the best chance to do that. This year, it was Jack at QB. That’s why he played. He was the best we had.

It was a good season but I can already see Jeff Brohm doesn’t learn lessons. PITT should have never happened but since it did you would think it wouldn’t repeat itself.
I’m afraid Brohm has an issue with putting his stamp on things at the expense of what’s best to win certain games.
Gurrendo could have given us a shot to win Wednesday but not sitting out multiple series or Plummer throwing on first down only to fumble.
Plummer should have been the last resort in the offense because he was erratic.
Hopefully we have a reliable option at QB, only hoping we can replace Issac.

As bad as Plummer appears to be for many of our fans, he was clearly the best QB on the team. All I have to do is look at who the coaches played.

And I'm not sure why that's a huge surprise considering the last several years. The last starting QB was a Petrino holdover, and Satterfield apparently couldn't recruit a QB to save his life. Maybe we should be glad the QB position wasn't a total embarrassment.

I think I'll give the Brohms awhile to manage the QB situation, while I focus on other things in athletics...

Too many fans are simply taking their frustration out on Plummer. I agree, he's not great and he made his share of mistakes, but the dude started 39 football games in his college career. He's thrown over 3,000 yards in a season twice. There's been a whole lot worse QB's who has worn the Cardinals uniform.

Yes, it would have been good to see some backup QB get a shot this season but other than Clarkson, who would of really been better to see than Plummer? Domann or Conley? Satterfield's backups? Don't think so.

This was Brohms first season and he really was fortunate that Plummer didn't get injured and miss several games. No telling how many other losses with career backups running the offense.

Jack Plummer was what was needed for Brohm's first season and it played out like the coach suspected. Sure it would have been great had he been better but he was good enough for 10 wins.

Now we have Tyler Shough in year two and will he be another QB like Plummer? What if he is? What if he's worse? All I know is it's not easy having a top QB to fill in each season. We fans want a youngster like Clarkson to be the next big thing here at Louisville, but who says he will be that QB?

I thank Plummer for giving his best for this team and despite some of his mistakes, I appreciate him going out there each game trying to rectify those mistakes. A lot of players would have given up, especially after that FSU game.

Now it's on to the next guy and the hoards of fans who will be ready to persecute him when he makes mistakes.

Some changes need to be made.
First, a better QB. Jack had slow twitch muscles and the ball too often floated or came out (or was held) too late. We need a quicker decision maker with fast reflexes.

Second, the play calling seemed to be hampered by the lack of QB ability. A better QB can open up that “encyclopedic playbook”. Offensive schemes by L. Riley and L. Kiffen seem better than ours.

Third. The defense became a problem. I would love to see Mark Ivey take over at DC. That guy is a maniac. We need a maniac.

Lastly, depth all over the field needs to be improved.

I remain very optimistic about next year, but there definitely are questions.

It was a good season but I can already see Jeff Brohm doesn’t learn lessons. PITT should have never happened but since it did you would think it wouldn’t repeat itself.
I’m afraid Brohm has an issue with putting his stamp on things at the expense of what’s best to win certain games.
Gurrendo could have given us a shot to win Wednesday but not sitting out multiple series or Plummer throwing on first down only to fumble.
Plummer should have been the last resort in the offense because he was erratic.
Hopefully we have a reliable option at QB, only hoping we can replace Issac.
How many times / how many different threads can you post the exact same opinions?

Asking for a friend…

“Jack gets what we’re doing” heard that more than once. Make him a coach then.
So you’d like to see a QB play who doesn’t understand what the coaches wanna do?

It sounds like Plummer makes better decisions, not knows more plays. I have no problem with that being the determinant.

I’ve always considered that position to be at least 50% between the ears as well…

Aside from the unforced mistakes (admittedly there were a few that occurred at the worst possible time), Jack was pretty efficient at QB, and was not the reason that we lost to USC; that is totally on our defense.

If we want to place blame on the home loss to UK; I would start with our special teams giving up the KO return for the TD, or the Jordan fumble late in the game. It’s just too easy to blame Plummer.

QB takes way too much blame and credit for a teams success. We have been blessed with good-great QB. The reality this year was once Thrash and Jordan went down the offense was different.

The WR-TE room was not good enough. Prime example Jack throws a perfect ball to Bruce against USC he drops it. Calloway dropped multiple balls but against FSU perfect ball dropped it was 6 if he caught. Throws a perfect ball to TE drops it another 6.

Yes he was careless but he also was very good at times.

As bad as Plummer appears to be for many of our fans, he was clearly the best QB on the team. All I have to do is look at who the coaches played.

And I'm not sure why that's a huge surprise considering the last several years. The last starting QB was a Petrino holdover, and Satterfield apparently couldn't recruit a QB to save his life. Maybe we should be glad the QB position wasn't a total embarrassment.

I think I'll give the Brohms awhile to manage the QB situation, while I focus on other things in athletics...
I’m sure the Brohms are eternally grateful.

So you’d like to see a QB play who doesn’t understand what the coaches wanna do?

It sounds like Plummer makes better decisions, not knows more plays. I have no problem with that being the determinant.

I’ve always considered that position to be at least 50% between the ears as well…
No I would like to see a QB with confidence, poise, that settled into the game and made the easy passes. I mean it does come down to making plays, right?

I appreciate what Plummer did but he got rattled too easily. Glad he’s gone and hope we get better playmakers from now on at the QB position.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT