ADVERTISEMENT

Building a Culture

If the standards aren’t met, kick rocks. Sounds like a good culture to me. I don’t see how people can be so up in arms about the transfers… the team was awful… change needs to happen. I’d say KP has a fair amount of confidence in the players he thinks he can bring in this off-season. I’m here for it. It’s a shame it didn’t work out for everyone here, but they will get their chance elsewhere. Bring on 23-24.

If the standards aren’t met, kick rocks. Sounds like a good culture to me. I don’t see how people can be so up in arms about the transfers… the team was awful… change needs to happen. I’d say KP has a fair amount of confidence in the players he thinks he can bring in this off-season. I’m here for it. It’s a shame it didn’t work out for everyone here, but they will get their chance elsewhere. Bring on 23-24.

Losing all your youngest players isn’t necessarily the best way to build culture. Typically dysfunction is from upper class men. Oh well.

Reactions: OldhamCard335
Losing all your youngest players isn’t necessarily the best way to build culture. Typically dysfunction is from upper class men. Oh well.
I’m sure those are coming. This was day 1 lol. I really wouldn’t be surprised if we only retain like 3-4 players. TBH I wouldn’t even be upset with that.

Kept hearing KP talk about building a culture within the program. And then oddly our three true freshmen enter the transfer portal. Building g that culture seems to have been a waste of time.
Only culture he has built is that of losing.. it's ok to be a loser as long as we all love each other.. lol. And to your point if there was so much love and culture on the team why are guys hitting the portal..

K Pain sucks !!

Reactions: OldhamCard335
Only culture he has built is that of losing.. it's ok to be a loser as long as we all love each other.. lol. And to your point if there was so much love and culture on the team why are guys hitting the portal..

K Pain sucks !!
… Because they didn’t meet KP’s standards. Y’all need some Ted Lasso in your life. Onward. Forward.

• Haha
Reactions: Cardiac Red
So KP whiffed on just about every good player he went after, then the three freshmen he did get are now in the portal. Great culture that!

So like Ted Lasso, Payne was hired because of his inexperience to destroy the program?
Good one. Sure that’s true, but he also underperforms year one because he breaks the whole operation down to its bones and rebuilds it from a new foundation based on positivity, teamwork, and effort. Culture. Look- the guy is going to get another year. Why not root for him? It’s like y’all want him to fail… it’s gross. You sound like UK fans. Yes things need to improve, But he’s one of our own. Changes are happening, might as well be hopeful- otherwise, your misery for the next 8 months is on you. That’s where I’m at. Always a fan, ride or die.

People wanted KP to hold players accountable during the season but he choose to give them a chance to work through it. Now KP is holding them accountable after taking a years worth of actual practice and game data people are what the hell is he doing.

I am in the same boat I will never understand wanting a coach to fail. We are making that a bad habit in our 2 main sports. Making comments about 4-5 star kids wanting to come to Louisville implying they are stupid for coming. It is ridiculous.

Next year there is no ambiguity he will either turn it around or he won’t. The roster is 100 percent his decision. He wins then maybe they will start climbing out of this crater. He loses then we move on. Make no mistake him winning is the much better option.

Last edited:
Good one. Sure that’s true, but he also underperforms year one because he breaks the whole operation down to its bones and rebuilds it from a new foundation based on positivity, teamwork, and effort. Culture. Look- the guy is going to get another year. Why not root for him? It’s like y’all want him to fail… it’s gross. You sound like UK fans. Yes things need to improve, But he’s one of our own. Changes are happening, might as well be hopeful- otherwise, your misery for the next 8 months is on you. That’s where I’m at. Always a fan, ride or die.

Get out of here with that “y’all want him to fail”. I went to nearly every game this year and did plenty of cheering like always. I assume you did the same. Some wishing and hoping on a message board isn’t worth much.

Wanting a coach to fail and fully expecting a coach to fail based upon observation are two vastly different things. I would love to see Kenny grab thirteen 5*s out of the portal, but I would also expect to see him fail spectacularly with said players. I don’t see where he is going to develop coaching chops at this point in his career.

Last edited:
Such a passive aggressive and sophomoric take. Most of us were very apprehensive of his hire - a 56 year old guy with zero experience as a HC and who worked for a guy for 10 years who historically doesn’t get his assistants ready to make that jump. As a top 10 program of all time, we didn’t think UofL needed to take that much of a risk.

So what happens? He unleashes a HISTORICALLY bad season - breaking all the records you don’t want to break in the process. No one wanted him to fail but, fail he did and when fans point out that fact, people like you insinuate that we “want(ed) him to fail”. Yeah - that makes a ton of sense. Everyone here is invested in one way or another in UofL’s success but, somehow there are a bunch that are being disingenuous about that? You can only be a “good” fan if you stick your head in the sand or pump sunshine?

Kenny Payne will always be “one of us” but, that designation doesn’t mean that someone is qualified to lead the program. There are plenty of Cardinals for life that shouldn’t be the HC - Payne is just part of that group unfortunately.

What would KP have done with this Houston roster? Lol I would guess no more than 22 wins and they've looked like the best team in the country pretty much all year

Kept hearing KP talk about building a culture within the program. And then oddly our three true freshmen enter the transfer portal. Building g that culture seems to have been a waste of time.
Everyone all year was saying "rebuild this roster" or "time to get rid of these kids". I'm all for the KP hate - he deserves it. I think this doesn't workout for him or UofL. But all of a sudden everyone is saying these transfers aren't a good look... which one is it? Is it good he's restarting or is this bad because no one wants to play for him? Everyone makes me confused on where I should be with all of this lol

What would KP have done with this Houston roster? Lol I would guess no more than 22 wins and they've looked like the best team in the country pretty much all year
KP couldn't win 22 games with any roster in the country.

We won 4 damn games this year against a terrible schedule at that. There wasn't making the tournament talent on this team but there was 500 talent. I think if KP gets every player he's after we're looking at about a 12 win season next year..

One has to have a certain level of brainpower to be confident.

We won 4 damn games this year against a terrible schedule at that. There wasn't making the tournament talent on this team but there was 500 talent. I think if KP gets every player he's after we're looking at about a 12 win season next year..
You base .500 talent based off what exactly? Last year? 60 percent of the scoring left. All the good defensive players left.

I am really interested why you think that. I am not saying you are wrong just curious how you determine talent.

Everyone all year was saying "rebuild this roster" or "time to get rid of these kids". I'm all for the KP hate - he deserves it. I think this doesn't workout for him or UofL. But all of a sudden everyone is saying these transfers aren't a good look... which one is it? Is it good he's restarting or is this bad because no one wants to play for him? Everyone makes me confused on where I should be with all of this lol

His words, not mine, were that we were trying to build a culture. It is tough to do that if you turn over every true freshman. Maybe he should’ve just said that these guys aren’t good enough and it’s time to find some better players.

Reactions: rh62531
You base .500 talent based off what exactly? Last year? 60 percent of the scoring left. All the good defensive players left.

I am really interested why you think that. I am not saying you are wrong just curious how you determine talent.
Pretty easy to recognize talent when you've been watching basketball for 45 years.. All these guys had positive minutes they were just terribly inconsistent and very poorly coached. KP had what he had and instead of playing to our strengths he tried to coach the way he wanted to coach even though he didn't have the talent to play that way. He is used to ky where you have a heavy advantage in talent and all you do is sub them in and out and yell at them and clap for them.. He sucks !

Well you and I have a different opinion on talent. The actual game data and results for 2 years tells you clearly this team doesn’t have much talent. There weren’t .500 last year and they lost all their offense and defensive production. To say they should have been .500 seems like an optimistic view.

I have watched Withers not being able to dribble and drive for 2 years. Curry-Ellis haven’t guarded anyone for 2 years.

Even if there was a new coach none of us would want most of this roster back.

I am not arguing the merits of KP just that the talent is no where it needs to be.

It's just a different era with the portal I'm not reading too much into these transfers. Ree and Fabio were both extremely late adds one reclassified the other weighed about 50 pounds. Ree was probably never going to play a key role, and Fabio looks like a depth guy too.

Lands is a little more complicated due to the PT he got out of the gate, but he was pretty bad if we're being honest, a real brick layer FG%. FT% was nice though! Sure he figures to improve, but then again Sam didn't they don't always improve. I think his situation involved an honest conversation where KP told him he'd be in a fight for minutes next year. Glenn and Williams coming in, James could slide to SF if he stays, KP could add Flowers and get a reclassify, or even add a SF out of the portal. I'm not expecting Flowers but we'll see. Long story short there's some major competition for minutes at the SF slot and maybe Lands was going to be the odd man out.

Last edited:
Reactions: glassmanJ
I don't think fans wanted Payne to fail. But Payne failed so badly year one it's just real hard for fans to envision him turning it around. I think that's the bottom line. No reason to psychoanalyze it.
True. As much as I dog on him I'd love for him to be a great coach, I'm a Louisville fan, why wouldn't I ? But he's not. I was not for hiring him in the first place. A place like Louisville doesn't hire a coach in training, especially one that's 56 years old. . Now we're stuck with him for who knows how long..

Louisville basketball is dead right now..

Reactions: vivid_red
Every one of you supporters keep saying that KP needs to get his guys in here. These three freshmen were his guys!

Most people noted the bad chemistry on this team. This may be part of the housecleaning process. If the culture doesn’t take with this group get a different group

I don't think fans wanted Payne to fail. But Payne failed so badly year one it's just real hard for fans to envision him turning it around. I think that's the bottom line. No reason to psychoanalyze it.
i still go with the fact that with allegations still hanging over our heads and the possibility of the death penalty every single other coach in the country told recruits why would you go to louisville if they may not have a program next year, so until this past november or whenever, there was not one single kid with any talent considering coming here. not one. period. end of discussion. and the three that came were stragglers, kids left over from the rest of the talent pool. we had no one to choose from. in essence he was just filling out bench seats and getting practice players. i don;t think they were his type of players, they were what he was forced to get from what was left. no grad transfers were coming to play here when their was little chance of post season. you have to completely scratch this year off the books for the position we started in. just because kp was hired in may does nto mean there were any recruits wanting to come here. this year was a chop suey season, where oyu threw everything in the pot and just hope. we didn't have players to start with and the ones we had stunk last year and finsihed the season losing even with a different coach. remember that people, at the end of last year this team sucked and lost everything but they were forgiven due to the coaching changes. maybe the players jsut aren't good at all and there was nothing in the cubberb for kp to use. btu this year he gets no slack, if 10 games in were' not at least 6-3 or 7-3 he should be gone. but the simple fact was we had no players, we weren't going to win at all,a dn why not build the program into what he wants and suffer the first year instead of giving and to win a few games but letting the culture he wants to build go to the trash? i don't care if we went 12-18, 8-22, 4-29 or didn't win a game a there was no way we were going to be in the post season so sacrifice a few wins in order to build what you want. it's puzzling to me that none odf the detractors see this, they jsut expected recruits to come here when there was no reason for them too. it's arrogant to think kids would want to play for a school that has been in the news for all the wrong reaosns for year. imagine if we start 5-1 next year the yum will be at capacity if we go 8-2 to start. it only takes one season to bring the crowd back

His words, not mine, were that we were trying to build a culture. It is tough to do that if you turn over every true freshman. Maybe he should’ve just said that these guys aren’t good enough and it’s time to find some better players.
Agreed. He's feeding BS to the fanbase because it's what they wanna hear. I miss having a straightforward coach like Pitino who would call a spade a spade

100% agree and what's sad (even though in the current landscape, there is no such thing as a multi-year rebuild) is those 12 wins will be good enough for year 3. Unbelievable how far this fanbase has fallen

He's obviously going to have an entire new team pretty much next year we'll see what happens. Going to be an interesting summer. I hope he can find some guards and put a competitive team out there.

they jsut expected recruits to come here when there was no reason for them too. it's arrogant to think kids would want to play for a school that has been in the news for all the wrong reaosns for yea
Yeah, I bet they're going to be lining up now after we just completed a 4-28 season..

Agreed. He's feeding BS to the fanbase because it's what they wanna hear. I miss having a straightforward coach like Pitino who would call a spade a spade
Pitino straightforward? Lol - incredible coach but straightforward is not an adjective commonly used when describing his public comments.

The thing that I really don't understand is that KP has a really good rep in the recruiting circles. There are a lot of kids and parents who hold UL in a high regard even after the season they just completed. The players will come, KP will get the roster right and success will follow.

Reactions: CardFan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT