ADVERTISEMENT

Bowen May be Reinstated

That must explain the unprecedented success Jurich has had the least two decades. Lying is usually the way that's done. o_O

And we don't have to "think" it out or talk about what's "probable"... There's plenty of documented evidence that Tyra and his boss are liars...

The facts just don’t support Jurich’s assertion that he barely knew Tyra. Now everything must come under suspicion.

The facts just don’t support Jurich’s assertion that he barely knew Tyra...
Actually, just the opposite is true. My intuition told me--correctly--that a "good friend" doesn't behave like this Cat. You don't stick a knife in the back of a legitimate friend. It was just rhetoric on Vince's part.

And as First said, Tyra thought he needed to say it and could get away with it. Makes perfect sense; he just didn't think people would question it. He's evidently a little slow...

Actually, just the opposite is true. My intuition told me--correctly--that a "good friend" doesn't behave like this Cat. You don't stick a knife in the back of a legitimate friend. It was just rhetoric on Vince's part.

And as First said, Tyra thought he needed to say it and could get away with it. Makes perfect sense; he just didn't think people would question it. He's evidently a little slow...

The facts just aren’t with Jurich when he suggested he barely knew Tyra. Highly suspicious.

Again, why the hate for the interim AD? I can see being mad at postel but why Tyra? At this point he's just keeping the seat warm for someone else. He didn't hire himself. I'm sure it's been discussed somewhere else but this is a Bowen thread so I don't know.

Reactions: HRTheCard
Again, why the hate for the interim AD?...
  1. Documented liar
  2. Hired by scumbags (What's the likelihood he's a lot different?)
  3. Concealed relationship with Grissom
  4. No AD credentials
  5. Slapd!ck
That's five reasons that resonate with me, and he hasn't been in the job a month...

Impeccable%20Standards_zpszp4kdswz.jpg

The facts just don’t support Jurich’s assertion that he barely knew Tyra. Now everything must come under suspicion.
Being “good friends” can be a subjective thing. I met Vince Tyra 30+ years ago and have over the years run into him dozens of times - always saying hello and occasionally having conversations with him. I suppose I could tell people based upon this, that I am good friends with him however it would be quite a stretch in my book. Friendly acquaintances is as far as I’d go.

Interacting with someone - even frequently - doesn’t convey knowledge of them or more importantly for the purposes of this conversation, connote friendship. I don’t take Jurich’s comments as him saying that is unaware of Tyra - only that in his estimation, he doesn’t know him in a way where they would be the “good friends” that Tyra indicated. I don’t think that Tyra meant to really deceive anyone - it’s just clear that the two of them have a different standard of what that term means.

Last edited:
  1. Documented liar
  2. Hired by scumbags (What's the likelihood he's a lot different?)
  3. Concealed relationship with Grissom
  4. No AD credentials
  5. Slapd!ck
That's five reasons that resonate with me, and he hasn't been in the job a month...

Impeccable%20Standards_zpszp4kdswz.jpg

I'm curious how this affects your fandom going forward. The administration is at the head of the athletic program you love. Do you find yourself at a crossroads?

Reactions: bloodguard13
Being “good friends” can be a subjective thing. I met Vince Tyra 30+ years ago and have over the years run into him dozens of times - always saying hello and occasionally having conversations with him. I suppose I could tell people based upon this, that I am good friends with him however it would be quite a stretch in my book. Friendly aquatintences is as far as I’d go.

Interacting with someone - even frequently - doesn’t convey knowledge of them or more importantly for the purposes of this conversation, connote friendship. I don’t take Jurich’s comments as him saying that is unaware of Tyra - only that in his estimation, he doesn’t know him in a way where they would be the “good friends” that Tyra indicated. I don’t think that Tyra meant to really deceive anyone - it’s just clear that the two of them have a different standard of what that term means.

I agree with this. Unfortunately my good friend Zipp is so upset about the Jurich termination that he is of the opinion that everything should be torched and burned. So he has created some ridiculous nasrative that Tyra is a liar, scumbag and lacking in transparency based on some largely conciliatory comments in a press conference.

I agree with this. Unfortunately my good friend Zipp is so upset about the Jurich termination that he is of the opinion that everything should be torched and burned. So he has created some ridiculous nasrative that Tyra is a liar, scumbag and lacking in transparency based on some largely conciliatory comments in a press conference.
Yeah, I don’t think Tyra is those things but, I do think that with his characterization of the relationship with Jurich, he was trying to ingratiate himself to Jurich supporters by overinflating their association and trading on Jurich’s name as part of a larger attempt to justify his taking - or being qualified - for the position.

I do think that there’s little question that grissom and postel are liars and lack transparency - which makes the two of them hypocrites of the highest order. Unfortunately for Tyra, when you are “good friends” with people like that - your own character and motives can get questioned rather quickly.

Reactions: zipp
Yeah, I don’t think Tyra is those things but, I do think that with his characterization of the relationship with Jurich, he was trying to ingratiate himself to Jurich supporters by overinflating their association and trading on Jurich’s name as part of a larger attempt to justify his taking - or being qualified - for the position.

I do think that there’s little question that grissom and postel are liars and lack transparency - which makes the two of them hypocrites of the highest order. Unfortunately for Tyra, when you are “good friends” with people like that - your own character and motives can get questioned rather quickly.

That’s a reasonable perspective.

I’ll just add that Vince Tyra was brought on ULAA Board with the primary responsibility to write policies and procedures to support proper governance and transparency. Until proven differently I’d say those things are important to him.

Reactions: awf
It sounds to me that Mr Tyra is in an unwinnable situation. If the athletics department succeeds its because of what Tom Jurich left. If it fails the blame falls totally on Tyra.

No wonder he gets paid so much for a rookie ad.
Job life expectancy isn't good...he's being set up as the Judas Goat in the new regime deal.

Reactions: bloodguard13
Being “good friends” can be a subjective thing. I met Vince Tyra 30+ years ago and have over the years run into him dozens of times - always saying hello and occasionally having conversations with him. I suppose I could tell people based upon this, that I am good friends with him however it would be quite a stretch in my book. Friendly acquaintances is as far as I’d go.

I don't disagree with that reasoning in a situation where name-dropping or overstating "friendship" isn't motivated by something else.

This Cat was likely motivated to call Jurich a "good friend" to add to his own credibility, bolster a resume that's completely lacking, and try to heal wounds. If you heard his presser, he name-dropped other U of L icons like Chris Redman. At this juncture, I wouldn't bet who the guy knows as a "friend".

As I said with his Dad's jersey photo op, it's a guy trying too hard. And if you're worthy of the job, you don't need to do that. Everyone understands the circumstances...

Reactions: BPGhost
I'm curious how this affects your fandom going forward. The administration is at the head of the athletic program you love. Do you find yourself at a crossroads?
Good question, but not that much... Like many for obvious reasons, I developed into a huge fan of Jurich. But there are plenty of LPT fans who don't care for Brainfart. The two don't necessarily go hand in hand...

Those are facts, not a narrative. Jurich is in the past. And my issues with U of L presently are limited to about a half-dozen people in very powerful jobs at the moment.

Nice try at defining my context however...

That's a good summary, and probably the right one to indicate an appropriate level of skepticism.

But this is a message board where it's OK to have an opinion, even a strong one. Sounds like yours and mine are in the same direction, but mine is simply a lot more extreme--and which is uncharacteristically where I wanna be on this issue.

...A big reason being that I don't hear opinions like yours voiced enough. Too many U of L fans have issued this Cat a gold card and are showing way too much optimism over his abilities to fill the job...

It sounds to me that Mr Tyra is in an unwinnable situation. If the athletics department succeeds its because of what Tom Jurich left. If it fails the blame falls totally on Tyra.

No wonder he gets paid so much for a rookie ad. Job life expectancy isn't good...he's being set up as the Judas Goat in the new regime deal.
The saying is you don't wanna follow the man, but rather follow the man who followed the man.

I'm not sure whether Tyra wanted the job too badly or whether he's oblivious to that old adage. Neither reflects well on him...

Last edited:

No wonder he gets paid so much for a rookie ad.
Job life expectancy isn't good...he's being set up as the Judas Goat in the new regime deal.
He’s getting 100K a month because he’s grissom’s buddy. It’s laughable that grissom can bitch about Jurich’s pay and talk about shady side deals and cronyism, and then hire his friend with zero experience for 1.2 million.

He’s getting 100K a month because he’s grissom’s buddy. It’s laughable that grissom can bitch about Jurich’s pay and talk about shady side deals and cronyism, and then hire his friend with zero experience for 1.2 million.
The ridiculous thing is he has a fraction of Jurich's credentials. And if he was already too well paid to take the job otherwise, that's fine, he doesn't take it. You either pay the Cat what he's worth, or you find someone else...

Good question, but not that much... Like many for obvious reasons, I developed into a huge fan of Jurich. But there are plenty of LPT fans who don't care for Brainfart. The two don't necessarily go hand in hand...
What does Barnhart have to do with anything? Why even bring him up? Anyways, most college sports fans couldn't even name the AD at the school they follow. I've certainly never witnessed an athletic director garner a fan base. It's a unique dynamic.

Reactions: Cal4Pres.
What does Barnhart have to do with anything? Why even bring him up? Anyways, most college sports fans couldn't even name the AD at the school they follow. I've certainly never witnessed an athletic director garner a fan base. It's a unique dynamic.
You’ve never witnessed an AD do for a school what Jurich did either.

I strongly disagree. Most passionate fan bases are very much aware of who their AD is and either credit him for a great job or discredit him for a poor one. Think of all the discrediting thrown Mitch Barnhart's direction during the Tubby and BCG years or the Joker Phillips years. Hell, UK fans boycotted games to send a message to Barnhart. The only difference between UK fans and UofL fans in this regard is we liked our guy immensely and you guys didn't like yours at various times. But you damn sure knew who he was and made your feelings about him known...loudly.

I strongly disagree. Most passionate fan bases are very much aware of who their AD is and either credit him for a great job or discredit him for a poor one. Think of all the discrediting thrown Mitch Barnhart's direction during the Tubby and BCG years or the Joker Phillips years. Hell, UK fans boycotted games to send a message to Barnhart. The only difference between UK fans and UofL fans in this regard is we liked our guy immensely and you guys didn't like yours at various times. But you damn sure knew who he was and made your feelings about him known...loudly.
I don't disagree. I've been hot and cold with Mitch and always have been. I'd still maintain that the majority of your everyday college sports fan don't identify their AD. Now internet sports fans definitely are the exception. But I'm just referring to the casual fan which I'd say eclipse the very passionate fans in numbers.

Most of us on the boards are part of that passionate fan base section, so Steelers is correct in that most of us are highly aware of the success and failure of the ADs. While I do agree that the old look at the sport page fan likely doesn't have a clue with what an athletic director does.
Mitch Barnhart is undoubtedly one of the most polarizing figures in UK sport due to hires that alternate between disaster and solid. Tom Jurich on the other hand has only one hire that was a flub.
An AD is usually judged in n how the revenue sports develop, even though they may oversee twenty other non- revenue sports.
In today's sports, what we are also seeing is an AD is judged on contract negotiation, ESPECIALLY BUYOUT. Mark Stoops was given an insane buyout clause after going 5-7 his second year. We are now seeing that Rick Pitino had a huge contract termination clause, and Bobby Petrinos contract was somehow tied to the ADs contract.
Big College sport is a major business. An AD ain't a job for the faint hearted.

That's because Jurich was unique, maybe the best AD ever.

Brainfart is your AD, and a lotta LPT fans don't like him. That's a local example why liking or not liking Tyra has little to do with my status as a fan. Is that comparison lost on you??

That's because Jurich was unique, maybe the best AD ever.

Brainfart is your AD, and a lotta LPT fans don't like him. That's a local example why liking or not liking Tyra has little to do with my status as a fan. Is that comparison lost on you??
The comparison is not lost on me, it was just un needed and misplaced. A simple "no Mr. Rockfly, this mess has not diminished my love for the Cards" would have sufficed. But I forget, everything always comes back to LPT for you.

The comparison is not lost on me, it was just un needed and misplaced. A simple "no Mr. Rockfly, this mess has not diminished my love for the Cards" would have sufficed. But I forget, everything always comes back to LPT for you.
LOL! Poor little offended slapd!ck! You were given a perfectly valid example of why support for an AD doesn't have to dovetail with support for a team, coaches, and players.

Excuse me for not treating you with the utmost respect on a U of L message board and a place you don't have to be...

LOL! Poor little offended slapd!ck! You were given a perfectly valid example of why support for an AD doesn't have to dovetail with support for a team, coaches, and players.

Excuse me for not treating you with the utmost respect on a U of L message board and a place you don't have to be...
Dude come on. I'm not freaking offended. Lol. I was being sarcastic and silly. Do you honestly think I expected you to refer to me as "Mr. Rockfly"? Haha. You give yourself too much credit for getting under my skin. Let me help you out, you can't. Lighten up bud.

Dude come on. I'm not freaking offended. Lol. I was being sarcastic and silly. Do you honestly think I expected you to refer to me as "Mr. Rockfly"? Haha. You give yourself too much credit for getting under my skin. Let me help you out, you can't. Lighten up bud.
"Sarcastic" my a$$. You clowns think your opinion matters and that you're entitled to humane treatment. Sorry...

"Sarcastic" my a$$. You clowns think your opinion matters and that you're entitled to humane treatment. Sorry...
ill try to keep it more serious and black and white with you. I don't want anything to get lost in translation.

I'm beginning to think you don't get me Z.

That is a brilliant point.
And they continue to set the table for Jurich's attorney. I'd like to know if U of L is getting ANY legal advice worth paying for. I guess money now is tight... :p

Last edited:
And they continue to set the table for Jurich's attorney. I'd like to know if U of L is getting ANY legal advice worth paying for. I guess money now is tight... :p
Maybe they’ve set up Smrt as a one stop shop? Based upon the level of smugness showed by grissom and postel, I certainly wouldn’t put it past them.

Actually the real difference is that our AD didn't preside over rampant rule breaking. We had one of those, he was fire post haste.

Reactions: RogerIndy
Actually the real difference is that our AD didn't preside over rampant rule breaking. We had one of those, he was fire post haste.
You’ll have to be more specific given that there have been multiple instances of rampant rule breaking in yut-ville. As memory serves, the last AD to preside over rampant cheating - at least the last rampant cheating that was proven - had the football field named after him.

At least until they got that sponsorship from piggly wiggly - lol.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT