ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Roster

real2it

4500+
Gold Member
May 16, 2006
So with Hailey coming in as highly regarded as she is how does this affect next year's roster and playing time. Specifically how does Nyah Green fit into the equation? It's not very often you convince an McDonald's All-American to redshirt and now even more talent is coming in. We seem to be very heavy in 5'9-6'1 guards on the roster. Do you think JW will play 3 guards what do ya think a potential starting 5 looks like?

Dixon
Balogun
Evans
Van Lith
Green

That's my picks but that would be a 4 guard lineup. Once again, Walz will have questions in the frontcourt. Freshmen are the options after Dixon.

HVL is a PG. I’m sure she can play the 2 though. With HVL you can shift Dana to the 2. I don’t think that is pro position, but, she can excel at the 2 in college. Cochran, from what I have gathered would be big 3 or a 4. I’d sort of expect to see her at the 4. Nyah - I think she will be a flex player for now - 2, 3 or even 4. We saw E play multiple positions this year as well. With Nyah and E you have a LOT of flexibility. You still have Konno as a backup at the 2 or 3. Kasa gives you reliable backup at the 1. I assume Seygan returns healthy. Yet another solid backup at the 2 or 3. I doubt Lyndsey gets much run. Wildcard = Smith, transfer from Cal, and Smith, Juco. My concern is in the paint. Can Dixon develop into a consistent defender and low post scorer? Can Molly develop enough to provide some paint banging minutes? Will Parker have the strength to compete in the paint? If Cochran can be a Hines-Allen wannabe the Cardinal paint presence could be pretty decent. Wildcard = Russell, from Canada. 5’11 and a bit of a mystery. I’d think she’d be a RS candidate. But, she apparently had a lot of talent.
So, I think they will be able to run people off the court. Can they defend the paint though? We’ll see.

Parker another RS could be huge if she contributed at 6'4. I'm thinking a:

PG Evans
SG Balogun
SF Green
PF Parker
C Dixon

I do think HVL gets a ton of burn as a freshman but if she is truly a pg as stated above by bardman I don't think a true freshman comes in and moves an all ACC player like Evans to the 2 spot. To me she would have to learn the system, plays, schemes and how to play at this level. I can't remember but did Shoni or Asia start as true freshman?

Parker another RS could be huge if she contributed at 6'4. I'm thinking a:

PG Evans
SG Balogun
SF Green
PF Parker
C Dixon

I do think HVL gets a ton of burn as a freshman but if she is truly a pg as stated above by bardman I don't think a true freshman comes in and moves an all ACC player like Evans to the 2 spot. To me she would have to learn the system, plays, schemes and how to play at this level. I can't remember but did Shoni or Asia start as true freshman?
Shoni and Asia both started as Freshmen. Spend some time watching HVL’s latest video. She says she wants to do anything to help the team her first year. She is definitely a special player. CJW has a ton of talent and will work multiple combinations like he always does in the pre-conference schedule. Like others, my concern is with the bigs. Liz had a tough year adjusting to our programs standards vs Georgia Tech. Let’s hope she has a big second year bump. As for Molly, she started to show some ability at the end of the year. My concern is she’s not very quick and hasn’t developed the touch on her shot to contribute points. Let’s hope she develops over the summer. I think Olivia will spell Dixon more than any other position her freshman year. I can’t wait to see it play out.

Reactions: Bardman and real2it
Shoni and Asia both started as Freshmen. Spend some time watching HVL’s latest video. She says she wants to do anything to help the team her first year. She is definitely a special player. CJW has a ton of talent and will work multiple combinations like he always does in the pre-conference schedule. Like others, my concern is with the bigs. Liz had a tough year adjusting to our programs standards vs Georgia Tech. Let’s hope she has a big second year bump. As for Molly, she started to show some ability at the end of the year. My concern is she’s not very quick and hasn’t developed the touch on her shot to contribute points. Let’s hope she develops over the summer. I think Olivia will spell Dixon more than any other position her freshman year. I can’t wait to see it play out.

Walz had an abundance of talent at the guard and wing positions, but. in my opinion -- the combinations that work the best in practice and skill drills will be the main part of the rotation.

Let's not forget these things:

1) Dana was converted to a point guard while at Louisville. One has to wonder if she'll be moved to the "2" now that there are several "1"s on the roster.If a defense decides to "key" on her, don't you doubt for one second that the team will find and productively use other players to account for the scoring. As you've seen, though, it's awfully hard to contain Dana.

2) Wearing down opponents is a key in the game of college basketball. With the talent on this roster, opposing teams should be prepared for a possible run, run, run offense with multiple players in the "get the ball and go" potential ahead for the Cards.

3) DO NOT COUNT OUT. Liz and Elizabeth. After a year in the Walz system, they have a full and complete knowledge of how he likes to see the game played and both have the skills to flourish in "Walz Ball" very nicely. Remember, coach says that it doesn't matter who starts, it's who he has in there in a close game with two minutes to go.

4) Rebounding and interior defense will be items where the Cards lose the most from this season ended. Keep in mind, though, you still have some very good players who now see the chance to claim spots and playing time. I can guarantee you'll love Olivia Cochran, Ramani Parker and Nyah Green's work effort and skills. Elizabeth Balogun can crash the boards with the best of them and Liz Dixon simply cannot be ignored inside.

It'll be, obviously, a team that will, once again, adjust their style to the personnel available. Jeff Walz has done this successfully for the last several years though. Sure, there will be things that will be addressed by him as the season unfolds as the season progresses, but....show me a college coach who hasn't or won't need to make adjustments throughout a season.

Yes, some spaghetti-o's have been taken off the shelf and consumed. There are plenty more in the cupboard, though, the microwave still works (coaching staff) and there are plenty of spoons left.

--sonja--

Reactions: Ty Spalding
While we don’t have the post presence like Sam and Kylee I think Liz will hold her own. The issue will be who else? I’m thinking Olivia will be the second coming of Hines-Allen as she develops to the speed of the game. I agree this lineup looks like one that will run, run and run.

Sonja, nice analysis. Agree that Dana will be utilized as a two more often this coming year as Kasa has developed into a good PG.

A couple of observations from this thread. MWat yes would love to see further development from Molly but even more importantly would love to see her out of a boot.

Watching JW coached teams they play at a very high sophisticated level one which is very tough for a first year to grasp. I believe HVL will struggle initially just like Kono. Nyah Green has the luxury of having redshirted.

Our bigs will be good and will develop by committee.

Frankly we lost a lot, but we actually may be stronger next year.

HVL will not struggle like Konno. HVL is on totally different planet. That means a lot because I don’t think Konno really struggled that much considering she was a FR, from Japan, on a very talented team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deeva
HVL will not struggle like Konno. HVL is on totally different planet. That means a lot because I do t think Konno really struggled as much as she was a FR, from Japan, in a very talented team.
I agree. I think HVL starts from day one.

Reactions: Deeva
I don’t know if HVL will start but I do think she will get a lot of playing time. I watched the World Cuo games and she was clutch in the Gold Medal game hitting multiple clutch shots towards the end.

It is interesting to speculate on how well HVL will do initially as a freshman. We all know that Dana did not start, but did play a lot of minutes as a freshman and actually had the third most minutes as a non starter that year. Asia Durr did not start and had the 6th most minutes her freshman year. I know whatever the Coach decides, HVL will play a lot of minutes, but this team does have perhaps more talent than any past Card team and there is much competition at the guard spot..

I don’t think HVL will start. Coach has always been committed to returning players that know his system. I think she will get 10-12 minutes a game.

The Smith’s both intrigue me. I’m looking forward to seeing how both contribute.

I'm in the camp that will be surprised if she starts. If there were a gaping hole...maybe. Yet, there just isn't. Plenty of court time I am sure.

We have plenty of girls that are special. You are going to have to raise your game to get some clock this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT