ADVERTISEMENT

B1G just broke the bank....New TV Deal...

In the big scheme of things, that is really sickening. This is college amateur sports. Where does it end. It has to end you know. And who gets burned in the end. We will see. Hope its not us but we haven't been at the big table for long.

The numbers in the Washington Post article sum to $440 million. The ACC last month reported $403 million.

All of this is good news for us...

Reactions: cardstud1
Zipp...the $440 Million doesn't include the B1G Network...the $403 Million was the entire ACC Revenue...the Gap is real and only going to grow.

Zipp...the $440 Million doesn't include the B1G Network...the $403 Million was the entire ACC Revenue...the Gap is real and only going to grow.
I don't think $403 mil includes any money for an ACC Network either. That or a direct payment instead from ESPN will help close that gap.

Not saying that the ACC is making more money than the Big Ten. I am saying that those wringing their hands over news from the Big Ten and SEC are worrying over nothing. As Senore quips above, the differences among P5 schools aren't significant. Not when the larger schools have $100-150 million annual budgets.

And I will always believe that news about escalating media rights fees, apparel contracts, etc. regarding other conferences and teams will end up being good news for us. A rising tide floats all boats...

Last edited:
For our part, we'll have to continue efficiently spending what money we get. I think we're getting more bang for the buck than many other P5 teams, and will continue to do so as long as Jurich is at the helm.

Reactions: American Male
Those aren't boats. Those are life rafts...

The Big Ten's contract increasing doesn't mean the ACC's contract is going to increase. Here's the reality. The Big Ten's last TV contract was for $136 million a year. This new contract is for $440 million a year.

The Big Ten's contract increasing doesn't mean the ACC's contract is going to increase. Here's the reality. The Big Ten's last TV contract was for $136 million a year. This new contract is for $440 million a year.
No question. The Big Ten's will increase exponentially into the billions while the ACC gets table scraps.

:rolleyes:

What the ACC needs is Notre Dame, which it can't get.
What the ACC also needs is for two teams not named Florida State and Clemson to become/remain significantly better.

And finally what the ACC needs is to take better advantage of its basketball content. And also its relatively young and higher income population. Eight (8) of the ACC's 14 teams are concentrated into 3 states (NC, VA, FL).

What the ACC also needs is for two teams not named Florida State and Clemson to become/remain significantly better.

And finally what the ACC needs is to take better advantage of its basketball content. And also its relatively young and higher income population. Eight (8) of the ACC's 14 teams are concentrated into 3 states (NC, VA, FL).
This level of state concentration is also present in the Big XII, with 3 states (TX,OK,KS) representing Eight(8) of the BigXII's 10 teams. The Big XII is in 5 states, altogether.

The ACC is in 8 states altogether, with two of them declining in population (PA, NY)

This degree of concentration may present 'eyeball' count issues to ESPN et al.

The SEC is in 10 states altogether, all with growing populations.

The PAC12 is in 6 states altogether, and really is super-saturating the Pacific market. This is mainly a Latino/Anglo market. The growth in this conference area is from the Latino segment.

The SEC and Big Ten have the big name legacy teams. The Big Ten overcomes its dwindling population with its 10 state-span and massive living alumni base.

The ACC also fights the problem of having relatively low counts of living alumni.

Last edited:
This is great news for the SEC and not so much for others so I love it. As for the ACC my suggestion to FSU and Clemson would be to start formulating an exit strategy just in case.

This is great news for the SEC and not so much for others so I love it. As for the ACC my suggestion to FSU and Clemson would be to start formulating an exit strategy just in case.
The gray matter in this thread is absolutely awesome! :rolleyes:

No question. The Big Ten's will increase exponentially into the billions while the ACC gets table scraps.

:rolleyes:

Well, here's the comparison. The ACC's total revenue last year was $403 million. As of next year, the Big Ten's average revenue will be around $800 million. The ACC's revenue isn't just magically going to go up. You have to account for where it's actually going to come from.

...And finally what the ACC needs is to take better advantage of its basketball content...
I agree with this one, and I actually believe that's coming at some point. The ACC along with the Big Ten, Kansas, and LPT pretty much define college basketball. That's about thirty schools that should wield plenty of basketball power.

The NCAA organization needs to be overhauled, and part of that should be how it's funded. Makes no sense that basketball carries all of that funding responsibility while ALL NCAA sports benefit. Football obviously has to pick up a large share. And of course, the bureaucracy needs to be reduced so that it simply doesn't cost so much.

That along with a pay-for-performance distribution model greatly increases potential basketball revenue to the ACC. Then let's do the conference math...

Reactions: Mayoman
Tend to disagree as the SEC is a better conference and is located in an area that is growing whereas the BIG footprint is losing population every year.

Tend to disagree as the SEC is a better conference and is located in an area that is growing whereas the BIG footprint is losing population every year.

Larger Alumni Base and when you have NYC, Chicago, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Columbus, Detriot, Indianapolis and Baltimore/DC..The B1G is in 3 of the Top 5 Media Markets in the Nation..Traditionally the B1G has always the Richest TV Deals and now they have the $$$ Machine in the BTN...

http://www.stationindex.com/tv/tv-markets

Let's see a good reference for that number...

Here you go. We already established that the Big Ten will get $440 million just from TV revenue. That's $31.4 million per school.

They get $8 million a year per school from the BTN, $112 million overall. (Paragraph 12)
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2016/04/25/Media/Big-Ten.aspx

They get $40 million for the Rose Bowl, which is $2.8 million per school.
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2012/07/16/Colleges/BCS-playoffs.aspx

Now, this site has approximately what they get from other sources:
CFP- $4.7 million per school - $65.8 million total.
NCAA distributions- $4.4 million - $61.6 million total.
Big Ten tournament & title game - $740k, 10.36 total.
http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/big...ia-revenues-skyrocket-thanks-new-tv-deal.html

So, add it up. 440 TV + 112 BTN + 40 Rose Bowl + 65.8 CFP + $61.6 NCAA + 10.36 CCG/Tournament = $729.76 million a year. That's also not counting the rest of their bowl money, which I didn't bother to look up. It works out to around $52 million per school. Compare that with the $26 million ($403 total) the ACC schools got last year.

Zipp, do you not think the SEC will score a better deal now that the BIG has raided the bar?

The SEC's contract doesn't expire until 2034.

Here you go. We already established that the Big Ten will get $440 million just from TV revenue. That's $31.4 million per school.

They get $8 million a year per school from the BTN, $112 million overall. (Paragraph 12)
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2016/04/25/Media/Big-Ten.aspx

They get $40 million for the Rose Bowl, which is $2.8 million per school.
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2012/07/16/Colleges/BCS-playoffs.aspx

Now, this site has approximately what they get from other sources:
CFP- $4.7 million per school - $65.8 million total.
NCAA distributions- $4.4 million - $61.6 million total.
Big Ten tournament & title game - $740k, 10.36 total.
http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/big...ia-revenues-skyrocket-thanks-new-tv-deal.html

So, add it up. 440 TV + 112 BTN + 40 Rose Bowl + 65.8 CFP + $61.6 NCAA + CCG/Tournament + 10.36 = $729.76 million a year. That's also not counting the rest of their bowl money, which I didn't bother to look up. It works out to around $52 million per school. Compare that with the $26 million the ACC schools got last year.

The SEC's contract doesn't expire until 2034.

And here the thing...along with the SEC the B1G also has a tie-in with the Orange Bowl-($27.5 Million when they place a team there) and they go back to the table again in 6 years...they are going to leave everyone IMO in the dust.

...So, add it up. 440 TV + 112 BTN + 40 Rose Bowl + 65.8 CFP + $61.6 NCAA + 10.36 CCG/Tournament = $729.76 million a year...
No, no, no, no, no...

I don't want YOUR math. How much double accounting is in there I have no idea.

If the rolled up number is that large, there ought to be one reference out there that does all of that accounting for you. Hell, there oughta be several.

Just link it, and I'll take it from there. Thanks...

Zipp, do you not think the SEC will score a better deal now that the BIG has raided the bar?
I don't give a rat's a$$ about the SEC except to ensure that it starts getting less basketball money from the NCAA, which is what it deserves.

I only care about what the ACC gets. And I recognize that in a freely competitive world, a rising tide floats all boats (not life rafts). I hope the SEC inks for a few gazillion dollars at some point, so that the ACC gets a few million less...

No, no, no, no, no...

I don't want YOUR math. How much double accounting is in there I have no idea.

If the rolled up number is that large, there ought to be one reference out there that does all of that accounting for you. Hell, there oughta be several.

Just link it, and I'll take it from there. Thanks...

Doesn't matter what you want. Those are the numbers. You can stick you head in the sand all you want. Those numbers are solid.

Doesn't matter what you want. Those are the numbers. You can stick you head in the sand all you want. Those numbers are solid.
Yeah, I figured there was some flimsy math involved. Like my Daddy told me many years ago, consider your source...

Yeah, I figured there was some flimsy math involved. Like my Daddy told me many years ago, consider your source...

No, there isn't any flimsy math. I demonstrated EXACTLY where the numbers came from. You are just too stubborn to admit when you are wrong. I'm right, and the numbers prove it.

No, there isn't any flimsy math. I demonstrated EXACTLY where the numbers came from. You are just too stubborn to admit when you are wrong. I'm right, and the numbers prove it.
Let me spell it out for you then... Find me a reference to someone else doing the math just like you. Then, I'll start to believe yours.

Or do you want the rest of us to believe you're the only genius who has figured this $800 million out?...

Let me spell it out for you then... Find me a reference to someone else doing the math just like you. Then, I'll start to believe yours.

Or do you want the rest of us to believe you're the only genius who has figured this out?...

I posted links to back up EVERY SINGLE NUMBER I listed.

Here's the thing. You can't argue any of this.

It is a FACT that the Big Ten gets a payout from the Rose Bowl.
It is a FACT that the Big Ten gets a payout from the CFP.
It is a FACT that the Big Ten gets a payout from the NCAA.
It is a FACT that the Big Ten gets a payout from their CCG & basketball tournament.

You HAVE to count that money for the Big Ten. You don't have a choice.

I posted links to back up EVERY SINGLE NUMBER I listed.

Here's the thing. You can't argue any of this.

It is a FACT that the Big Ten gets a payout from the Rose Bowl.
It is a FACT that the Big Ten gets a payout from the CFP.
It is a FACT that the Big Ten gets a payout from the NCAA.
It is a FACT that the Big Ten gets a payout from their CCG & basketball tournament.

You HAVE to count that money for the Big Ten. You don't have a choice.
Nothing you're gonna create here can be taken as fact. Facts have links.

The highest monetary number in the history of college sports--freakin' $800 mil--should at least have ONE link. Yet, you can't produce it.

All I need to know...

Nothing you're gonna create here can be taken as fact. Facts have links.

The highest monetary number in the history of college sports--freakin' $800 mil--should at least have ONE link. Yet, you can't produce it.

All I need to know...

And I posted links. You just don't want to read them because they will prove you wrong. I posted a link for every number I listed. It's not my fault you are too lazy/afraid to open them.

Explain this to me. Where is the Rose Bowl money? Where is the CFP money? Where is the NCAA tournament money? Where is the BTN money? You tried to (dishonestly) compare the Big Ten's $440 million from just TV revenue to the ACC's total revenue of $403 million. The ACC's $403 million total includes: Orange Bowl payout, CFP payout, bowl payouts, NCAA tournament payouts, ACC tournament payouts, ACC CG payouts. If you want an accurate comparison, you either have to take out all those payments from the ACC, or add them in for the Big Ten.

We know for 100% fact, that the Big Ten's average TV revenue will be $440 million per year. Ok, so then you tell me, what is the Big Ten's total revenue going to be? Tell me. Explain to me why the Big Ten is not going to increase dramatically when you add Rose Bowl, CFP, bowl game, NCAA tournament, and conference tournament payouts?

Last edited:
And you're the only guy to EVER perform your calculation? Is that what I'm supposed to believe?

Or the far more likely probability, since there is no corresponding reference, that you concocted it?

Hell, you can't even find a number CLOSE to $800 mil. You need to at least polish up the next turd you pull outta your a$$...

And you're the only guy to EVER perform your calculation? Is that what I'm supposed to believe?

Or the far more likely probability, since there is no corresponding reference, that you concocted it?

Hell, you can't even find a number CLOSE to $800 mil. You need to at least polish up the next turd you pull outta your a$$...

No, I didn't concoct it. I posted links to every number. That fact that you don't even read them says more about you that it does me.

And here the thing...along with the SEC the B1G also has a tie-in with the Orange Bowl-($27.5 Million when they place a team there) and they go back to the table again in 6 years...they are going to leave everyone IMO in the dust.
Yes, the Big Ten and SEC will be making about $25m per team per year more than the ACC teams. Totally true.

These numbers are from the prior fiscal year (2014-2015) and encompass all outside sources of revenue to the conferences: football bowl games, NCAA tournament, and conference media deals.

Conference-Total
SEC $476 million
Big Ten $386 million
ACC $331 million
Big XII $307 million
PAC-12 $253 million

It's my understanding that ESPN is committed to start paying the ACC $45 million annually or start an ACC network, the latter of which presumably would add more than that amount to the ACC number.

I don't see DIFFERENCES anywhere close to $25 million per team--about $350 million annually--or a polished turd value of $800 million.

One number means nothing in isolation. Feel free to post other references that total these same numbers across conferences...

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT