ADVERTISEMENT

Another failed narrative: Jeff Brohm now making $5.35 million...

You can tell yourself that to make you feel good. But there's no evidence supporting that POV except that "Vince" didn't make it happen after touting Brohm as his #1 candidate. You believe it was out of his hands because you don't want to make him responsible. Unfortunately, as AD, "Vince" was the guy most responsible for making that hire.

And we do now know factually how much money Brohm will be making and how much money would have kept U of L in the sweepstakes. My belief in the end is that most things come down to money...
I feel good because he hired a good coach who brought in a good staff. I tend not to worry about what if's or live in the past. What if Pitinio went after Rondo instead of Telfair McGee never steps foot on campus. Pitinio is still here. We just have to see how Satterfield works out, but at this moment Tyra hire was a solid choice.

i am not saying it wasn't in Tyra's hand I assume if he offered 6 million that may have persuaded him, but I never expected Tyra to offer that. He said he wasn't going to over pay and didn't offer a home town discount. Tyra made a conscious decision not to go all in on Brohm which in my opinion was a good decision. Brohm isn't like Pitino when Jurich said he was going to get Pitino. Why would you break the bank for Brohm. He hasn't even competed for titles at this level.

Last edited:
Reactions: BPGhost
Not sure why some of you guys are so hard on the Purdue posters on this board. They didnt come on here talking trash until you guys were rude to them.

Way to make us look like the school east of here..
Purdue fans wouldn’t be on here at all if you stopped talking about our coach. Not sure why various school discussion boards have issues when other schools pop up when there’s a thread specifically about them.

Purdue fans wouldn’t be on here at all if you stopped talking about our coach. Not sure why various school discussion boards have issues when other schools pop up when there’s a thread specifically about them.
I visit iu, Louisville, and Purdue quite frequently because they are the 3 closest colleges to where I live that have football at a high level. I don't seek out Brohm stuff. And I truely want to see Louisville and Purdue have another series because that was a fun game! Naturally, I'm going to defend Purdue's program when it's called trash when in fact it isn't. At the end of the day, I just like discussing sports.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
I haven't said a word about your coach. I was taking up for the Purdue posters in this thread... specifically BoilerN Boilerbuck and Purdue2003, who were getting flogged and didn't come on here talking trash, in my opinion they were just joining in the discussion.

Reactions: OhioBoiler51
I haven't said a word about your coach. I was taking up for the Purdue posters in this thread... specifically BoilerN Boilerbuck and Purdue2003, who were getting flogged and didn't come on here talking trash, in my opinion they were just joining in the discussion.
I appreciated that! I just love a good sports discussion. No attacking is needed to have that.

Reactions: Morgantown Card
I appreciated that! I just love a good sports discussion. No attacking is needed to have that.
No problem. We do get a lot of bad visitors here on the free board sometimes, especially the blue necks east of here. I think we tend to be a little defensive sometimes, but the majority of posters (including the ones bashing on you guys) are good posters and "usualy" welcome opposing fanbases..

Reactions: Morgantown Card
No problem. We do get a lot of bad visitors here on the free board sometimes, especially the blue necks east of here. I think we tend to be a little defensive sometimes, but the majority of posters (including the ones bashing on you guys) are good posters and "usualy" welcome opposing fanbases..
I honestly rarely go to the Purdue free board. Some iu fans make it almost unbearable. Saying very inappropriate things about players and coaches, etc. No reason for it.

That might make sense if we were talking about Brohm on the purdoo board. Why would you care what is said on another (non-rival) program's board? Is your skin that paper thin?

As it stands the only way that any of you could know that Brohm's name even came up is if you are constantly lurking here - looking for a reason to be aggrieved. Furthermore, this thread wasn't even about Brohm - it was specifically created by the OP as a way to bash Louisville's current AD while simultaneously genuflecting at the feet of the former AD. Anything said here about Brohm has been factually accurate and tame at its worst.

LINK

NOT the $6 million that "Vince" was applauded for not paying to land Brohm.

That number's about a million more than Petrino was making. That was where "Vince" decided not to go, although it's hard to understand what he expected to pay when he started negotiating with Brohm. The numbers guy thought Brohm was as big a U of L fanboy as he is. (Note to "Vince": the world does not manage decisions in that realm--which is why U of L fund raising is also a big deal.)

I was never happy about a financially strapped U of L paying Petrino $14 million and millions more to attract Brohm. But ONCE YOU DECIDE TO GO DOWN THAT PATH, you need to get the job done. I equated it to driving 100 miles and second guessing yourself driving the last couple of miles. Makes no sense.

I also don't think Brohm is a slam dunk better coach than Satterfield. He may not be any better at all in the end. But THERE'S NO QUESTION about the replacement that fans wanted. There's no question how much better transition--recruiting and everything else considered--would have resulted had "Vince" finished the job. And there's no question how much more buzz there would be around the football program.

Second rate AD, second rate results. And welcome to the world of de-emphasized athletics...

Nah, Brohm was too chicken shit to take the job. Fans were expecting him to come home and be the savior of the program. It just would have been entirely too much pressure. It sucked at the time, but Brohm did the right thing. Tyra did the right thing by going after him, but when it was all said and done, Brohm chose the safest path.

That might make sense if we were talking about Brohm on the purdoo board. Why would you care what is said on another (non-rival) program's board? Is your skin that paper thin?

As it stands the only way that any of you could know that Brohm's name even came up is if you are constantly lurking here - looking for a reason to be aggrieved. Furthermore, this thread wasn't even about Brohm - it was specifically created by the OP as a way to bash Louisville's current AD while simultaneously genuflecting at the feet of the former AD. Anything said here about Brohm has been factually accurate and tame at its worst.
I explained myself and why I come here. It's not to seek out anything Brohm or Purdue. I also never corrected anything you said about Brohm. It made total sense for Purdue to pay him. It would have cost Purdue more to let him walk. Instead, they locked him up for the foreseeable future. What I was defending is purdues program. It is in much better shape than some of you guys make it out to be. Brohm will have it as a perennial top 25 program soon. No reason to think he won't. Just needs to get some big ten players in the program.

Exactly..
Same guy, same broken down narrative.. He's no fan of UofL.

He has some hidden jealousy of Vince (wife probably has a crush on him)and it just eats his soul..
Clown apologist defending clown narratives. Playing fan cards and engaging in clown psychoanalysis.
clown-picture-id533837393

Nah, Brohm was too chicken shit to take the job. Fans were expecting him to come home and be the savior of the program. It just would have been entirely too much pressure. It sucked at the time, but Brohm did the right thing. Tyra did the right thing by going after him, but when it was all said and done, Brohm chose the safest path.
The problem with that after the fact is it was nowhere to be heard before the fact. Now it just sounds like an excuse...

I can't fault Brohm, his heart wasn't here. So be it. Can't fault Vince either, from looks and sounds of things, looks like he hired a lot better Staff than TJ did with Kragthorpe. Only bad hire TJ had but man did that one suck!

The problem with that after the fact is it was nowhere to be heard before the fact. Now it just sounds like an excuse...
What I don’t get about your analysis is that you assume a few hundred thousand more dollars and Brohm would be here. You don’t know all that went into Jeff’s decision, but I think if he wanted to be here the dollars would not have been an issue.

LINK

NOT the $6 million that "Vince" was applauded for not paying to land Brohm.

That number's about a million more than Petrino was making. That was where "Vince" decided not to go, although it's hard to understand what he expected to pay when he started negotiating with Brohm. The numbers guy thought Brohm was as big a U of L fanboy as he is. (Note to "Vince": the world does not manage decisions in that realm--which is why U of L fund raising is also a big deal.)

I was never happy about a financially strapped U of L paying Petrino $14 million and millions more to attract Brohm. But ONCE YOU DECIDE TO GO DOWN THAT PATH, you need to get the job done. I equated it to driving 100 miles and second guessing yourself driving the last couple of miles. Makes no sense.

I also don't think Brohm is a slam dunk better coach than Satterfield. He may not be any better at all in the end. But THERE'S NO QUESTION about the replacement that fans wanted. There's no question how much better transition--recruiting and everything else considered--would have resulted had "Vince" finished the job. And there's no question how much more buzz there would be around the football program.

Second rate AD, second rate results. And welcome to the world of de-emphasized athletics...
Jeff never got over the Petrino snub. His Ky Hall of Fame speech was borderline bitter. Hope he enjoys his new car. Just hoping our delirious fans give Satterfield the time he needs to overcome what BP did to the program.

Jeff never got over the Petrino snub. His Ky Hall of Fame speech was borderline bitter. Hope he enjoys his new car. Just hoping our delirious fans give Satterfield the time he needs to overcome what BP did to the program.
That is the whole point isn't it, the majority of people that understand the business think Tyra actually hired a good coach. Yet, some continue to talk about a coach that didn't want to be here then acting like it was a failure. Who cares if Tyra missed as long as his 2nd choice is a good coach. Now if Satterfield proves to be a dud then we could talk about his Brohm miss.

The Tyra not being a good fundraiser was a little premature too, they have appeared to raise more in his first year than they have in the last 10 years. I am not saying they are in great shape, but the narrative is he is ineffective in raising money is off its mark. Also, the new Deputy is a good hire.

Tyra is doing his job that is all that matters at this point.

Are we NOT going to consider what it would take to get Brohms assistants too, Brian and do on. Go ahead and add another 2 mil a year. All that for a good offensive coach that will never have the defense to win 10 games. Don’t forget Purdue lost their QB this yr. It might be another 6-7 year. Screw what the fans wanted, their trying to build something special, new culture and new program. The money saved from Brohm was used to get elite coordinators mainly Cort,Brown and Ledford. Not to mention allowed for new machines and tools in the weight room. With that said the Brohm rebuild would’ve been faster would the result be different? I guess time will tell. Fact is win 5-6 games this year and Louisville Football will be on the rise.

Are we NOT going to consider what it would take to get Brohms assistants too, Brian and do on. Go ahead and add another 2 mil a year. All that for a good offensive coach that will never have the defense to win 10 games. Don’t forget Purdue lost their QB this yr. It might be another 6-7 year. Screw what the fans wanted, their trying to build something special, new culture and new program. The money saved from Brohm was used to get elite coordinators mainly Cort,Brown and Ledford. Not to mention allowed for new machines and tools in the weight room. With that said the Brohm rebuild would’ve been faster would the result be different? I guess time will tell. Fact is win 5-6 games this year and Louisville Football will be on the rise.
Purdue lost their QB that entered last year as the backup because their starter was hurt. He has a better arm, needs to show more consistency and decision making. Threw for 2000 yards to go 4-0 on a torn ACL at the end of 2017. Or something to that degree. To lazy to look it up. He may have had another game on there at the start of the year.

I like you am curious to see the defense. 2 years ago, the D carried Purdue to a bowl, but lost everyone. Last year, it was super young and is returning mostly everyone for this year and next and also bringing in better players.

Both programs are looking up you would think.

Purdue and Brohm have been average at best since going to Purdue. Going 7-6,6-7 is average. Idk why UL fans were upset. At this point he hasn’t done enough to be a top paid coach. That’s my opinion. The defense has been below average. It could all change this yr and maybe they win 10 games. Or go 6-6. We’ll see.

Purdue and Brohm have been average at best since going to Purdue. Going 7-6,6-7 is average. Idk why UL fans were upset. At this point he hasn’t done enough to be a top paid coach. That’s my opinion. The defense has been below average. It could all change this yr and maybe they win 10 games. Or go 6-6. We’ll see.
Brohm has been good with a sub-average roster. I'm not sure he was worth what he was paid yet, but it was going to cost Purdue more to let him go in my opinion.

Who is this Jeff Brohm?
Never heard of him

Oh...yes I have. He’s the guy that lost a bowl game by 7 touchdowns.
In fairness, he's also the guy most U of L fans were panting over--not me in particular--and many assured was a "done deal".

For the record as well, had he come to U of L , he would never have coached that bowl game. And a 7-TD beatdown had it still happened would be used now as evidence of what a great coach he is/was...

Middling and lower tier bowl results shouldn't be at the top of job evaluation. Got to look at entire body of work, and trend from prior seasons if available.

So a school that hasn’t won more than 10 games in 40 years and only won 9 games 4 times during the same time span is paying 5.35 million per season do a guy that’s averaging 6.5 wins per year at the school.

I don’t know the guy and don’t know who his agent or representative is but I need him to negotiate my next gig. That’s a little over 823K per win.

Yeah this wasn’t about money.

So a school that hasn’t won more than 10 games in 40 years and only won 9 games 4 times during the same time span is paying 5.35 million per season do a guy that’s averaging 6.5 wins per year at the school.

I don’t know the guy and don’t know who his agent or representative is but I need him to negotiate my next gig. That’s a little over 823K per win.

Yeah this wasn’t about money.
It's always about money. And "Vince" was ready to spend north of $20 million to get the same guy. So what's the point?...

It is always about money until it isn't about money. Brohm was offered a good deal, very similar, at both Purdue and Louisville. The narrative was Purdue was going to back up the brinks truck to keep Brohm. That wasn't wrong. Purdue was going to match whatever Louisville threw out there and Brohm knew that. The way it played out all Tyra would have been doing is jacking up Purdue price. That 6 million figure everyone was talking about was pure speculation. What happened is Louisville set the market price and Purdue matched it. He was paid what the market produced. The question was always did he really want to come to Louisville, the answer was clearly no.

Now if Tyra pulled a UCLA and low balled him then I get your point. Is he worth 5.35 million? Is Satterfield a bargain at 3.5 million? We will see.

Reactions: Mayoman
Yep, why pay full price when you can get a discount on a coach with arguably a better performance record?

Appears like a great business decision to me. Time will tell based on the new coaches performance here; but $1.85 mil is nothing to sneeze about. And his assistant hires were pretty awesome. Looks to be a great staff in the making.

And a new attitude and culture is born at UofL. How do you measure that?

Wow, $5.35MM. That's a lot of money to pay a 0.500 coach who got absolutely spanked like one of Katina's hoes in their bowl game (lost by 7 TD's). I realize it's all based on potential and commitment to the program's future, but he certainly hasn't earned that kind of money yet. The $6MM thing is Saban territory and absolutely insane.

It is always about money until it isn't about money. Brohm was offered a good deal, very similar, at both Purdue and Louisville. The narrative was Purdue was going to back up the brinks truck to keep Brohm. That wasn't wrong. Purdue was going to match whatever Louisville threw out there and Brohm knew that. The way it played out all Tyra would have been doing is jacking up Purdue price. That 6 million figure everyone was talking about was pure speculation. What happened is Louisville set the market price and Purdue matched it. He was paid what the market produced. The question was always did he really want to come to Louisville, the answer was clearly no.

Now if Tyra pulled a UCLA and low balled him then I get your point. Is he worth 5.35 million? Is Satterfield a bargain at 3.5 million? We will see.
You don't know what U of L offered because it was never disclosed. We simply know how much money Purdue was willing to pay and what we were told it was gonna take to land Brohm here--MORE than his new contract.

You also don't know that U of L would have to pay more than Purdue would pay him. The intangibles here were/are always going to outweigh the same at Purdue.

The other thing you know with certainty is that "Vince" didn't get the job done with his A candidate...

Yep, why pay full price when you can get a discount on a coach with arguably a better performance record?

Appears like a great business decision to me. Time will tell based on the new coaches performance here; but $1.85 mil is nothing to sneeze about. And his assistant hires were pretty awesome. Looks to be a great staff in the making.

And a new attitude and culture is born at UofL. How do you measure that?
Wow, $5.35MM. That's a lot of money to pay a 0.500 coach who got absolutely spanked like one of Katina's hoes in their bowl game (lost by 7 TD's). I realize it's all based on potential and commitment to the program's future, but he certainly hasn't earned that kind of money yet. The $6MM thing is Saban territory and absolutely insane.
The problem with those perspectives is that they're after the fact. In reality, not too many besides me were talking about money before Petrino was fired and we struck out on Brohm. Nor were too many others talking about Brohm's shortcomings.

Now that talk just sounds like rationalization for where we ended up. It's also true that looking back on what it was going to cost us to dump Petrino and land Brohm, we paid around 90% of that money and still didn't end up with Brohm. Unless Satterfield ends up being Saban Lite, I doubt that 10% will be viewed historically as a wise decision...

We were told it wasn’t about the money by those supposedly close to the negotiations. Don’t piss on me and then tell it’s raining. Personally I hope the SOB forgets where Louisville is.
So he's an SOB, but you believe what he says. :rolleyes:

I've always liked Jeff and probably always will. And people will tell you anything if you'll believe it...

In reality, not too many besides me were talking about money before Petrino was fired and we struck out on Brohm

Yeah, as I recall you were the guy saying we would have to settle for a bargain basement coach because the BoT wouldn't approve the funding for a "name" coach. Now you're saying Vince failed because he didn't just pay whatever it took to get Brohm because he was the "A" candidate.

You're the same guy who would be on here bitching had we hired Brohm because we overspent for a .500 coach who lost by 7 TD's in a bowl game .. We all know your worn out schtick..

Reactions: Art79 and BPGhost
Yeah, as I recall you were the guy saying we would have to settle for a bargain basement coach because the BoT wouldn't approve the funding for a "name" coach. Now you're saying Vince failed because he didn't just pay whatever it took to get Brohm because he was the "A" candidate.

You're the same guy who would be on here bitching had we hired Brohm because we overspent for a .500 coach who lost by 7 TD's in a bowl game .. We all know your worn out schtick..
I usually like debating with facts... All of the new coaches hired by "Vince" are paid less than their predecessors. If that doesn't scream "bargain basement", it's at least fuel for the fire.

My guess is "Vince" can simply persuade great coaches to work for less money. And like he told Jeff Walz, "they have contracts."

That's the schtick I'm kinda getting tired of already...

I usually like debating with facts... All of the new coaches hired by "Vince" are paid less than their predecessors. If that doesn't scream "bargain basement", it's at least fuel for the fire.

My guess is "Vince" can simply persuade great coaches to work for less money. And like he told Jeff Walz, "they have contracts."

That's the schtick I'm kinda getting tired of already...
Not always true that buying a high-profile coach equals victories and championships. Maybe you buy a coach with potential that you can get for less, THEN pay more if he proves him(her)self. That’s the value equation that has worked for Bill Bellichick for 20 years vs the buy a superstar approach that only sporadically worked for George Steinbrenner. You can argue, of course, that Vince NQ ain’t no Bill Bellichick - and that’s a fair argument. But at least he’s no Steinbrenner.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT