ADVERTISEMENT

Another failed narrative: Jeff Brohm now making $5.35 million...

Jeff Brohm in particular also had a negative history with the university. It could be that he has some negative feelings toward UofL just as much as he may love the city. Arguing this is pointless sense its all speculation without any evidence to back it up.
Sure it's pointless when you're on the wrong side of the debate.

I saw Jeff and family at the U of L spring football scrimmage a few years ago. Sure struck me as a guy harboring negative feelings about his alma mater. That was BTW when Jurich was still here... :rolleyes:

...I am really not sure what you mean by the second sentence of the first bold comment. This sounds like you are in Jurich's mind and assumes that all coaches would walk lockstep with TJ no matter what. Really?...
No, what I meant is that I don't necessarily believe Brohm questioned the current administration's commitment to football. You may be right; I just don't believe that was Brohm's primary determinant in his decision not to take the U of L job.

But even if it was, whose fault is that? The same guys...

parade%20of%20fools%2002_zpst8nl9j0b.jpg

...The Admins have made a commitment to Satterfield as the fix. He came at a lesser initial expense than Brohm would have. It remains to be seen how the both of them do with their programs and teams in the future from this point forward.

What you say of UofL not making the financial commitment is really a matter of perspective on the situation. And right now, it is too early to tell whether it is the most suitable choice or not. But it is a fact it comes with a lower salary price tag which leaves much room for future increases based on performance...
As you know, I'm about dollars and sense. But here's always the issue...it's what you GET for what you SPEND.

I've used a casual (uncalculated) estimate. We went into the task of replacing Petrino, and we spent 90% of what it would have cost to do that with Jeff Brohm. And we didn't end up with Brohm. Does that sound like a wise savings of 10%? Not to me.
...I ask you in all fairness, If you were in Bohm's shoes, would you leave a situation that you had poured 2 years of your heart and soul in to rebuild at a place that many so called experts predict it can't be done and you are making significant headway and in year 3 could really break out if not by year 4.....to leave for a program left in tatters by a once thought of genious. One who fell on bad times, decimated the team, roster, and morale of the fans; when you can stay put, get a nice raise out of the situation and soldier on with out the mess to clean up behind CBP again. Seems like a no brainer to me.

And it does not rule out in the future Brohm could always return home if and when the job comes open, if he so desires but maybe under better circumstances. Like, CSS is so successful he gets offered his dream job...whatever that might be...
I think Jeff Brohm is a conscientious guy, and I think he's already done some good things at Purdue and made his mark.

To speculate that he didn't wanna come back to U of L based entirely on intangibles here and there is anyone's guess. You can't claim intangibles as a reason he declined the job anymore than I can claim the factors here were stronger. And in the end, I've learned in life that most things come down to money even for good people. That's what started this thread.
...Just some food for thought. Good discussion to have. Cheers! .
Agreed!!

Last edited:
Sure it's pointless when you're on the wrong side of the debate.

I saw Jeff and family at the U of L spring football scrimmage a few years ago. Sure struck me as a guy harboring negative feelings about his alma mater. That was BTW when Jurich was still here... :rolleyes:

That definitely means that he was going to leave Purdue to come back to UofL because he needed to be here. Its pointless because you are making stuff up and counting it as fact which you consistently complain about others doing.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
That definitely means that he was going to leave Purdue to come back to UofL because he needed to be here. Its pointless because you are making stuff up and counting it as fact which you consistently complain about others doing.
I'm not the guy in denial about what a "done deal" it was supposed to be. And how your new AD flubbed that hire.

Purdue fans oughta be this guy's biggest supporters. I wish they'd come up with a job he can do well...

tyra%20bow%20tie_zpsk8irhszs.jpg

1. There are no NCAA issues coming up with football and the only way the AD (or any AD) would know was if notified by the NCAA. Those types of things - as we know - are literally impossible to keep under wraps. Given that Brohm had worked previously for Petrino and followed him as the HC at WKU, he would have intimate knowledge of the type of program he ran - with respect to NCAA rules. Both of these are a huge stretch by you.

2. "Wide speculation" aside, it is plausible that your AD would not give a firm number, and would rather wait to know what sort of numbers would be thrown at Brohm by UofL - or anyone else. That is just negotiations 101. Plus it is also plausible to suggest that Brohm told him that he would give him "last look" during the negotiations. We'll see how "strong" their relationship is when Brohm bails in(side) the two years I predict.

3. As I posted previously, Brohm staying at purdoo had more (everything) to do with his future coaching aspirations of wanting to coach at a perennial top 10 CFB or in the NFL. Not that I am equating the programs but, every reason that was given by boil fans for why he stayed were also given by WKU fans - and he left them. purdoo was, is and will always be a b1g bottom feeder.

Lol if you actually believe this. Purdue will never be on the level of Ohio State, Michigan, or Penn State but they could absolutely turn into an Iowa/MSU type program. They were well on their way with Tiller but our cheap AD didn’t capitalize on it when he had the chance. Now we have a coach who’s paid in the top 15. Brohm has a sweet set-up in the West Division to compete for conference championships. For a “bottom feeder program”, we have a pretty solid history with plenty of notable NFL stars. If you think Purdue is bottom feeder, what is UL?

Reactions: NathanWynn77
I'm not the guy in denial about what a "done deal" it was supposed to be. And how your new AD flubbed that hire.

Purdue fans oughta be this guy's biggest supporters. I wish they'd come up with a job he can do well...

tyra%20bow%20tie_zpsk8irhszs.jpg
You gotta admit, he wears a mean bow tie!

...It is widely speculated that our AD (Bobinski) never truly gave Brohm a firm number when speaking to him during the process. Brohm and Bobinski have created a very strong relationship throughout the rebuild of the program and that is something I know personally Brohm values at the top of his reasons as to why he chose to stay at Purdue. It should also be noted that it is likely the starting QB this upcoming season at Purdue (Sindelar) was likely going to follow Brohm as well...which calls to the ties Brohm has created with his current players. That had to have had a major impact on his decision as well...he is known as a man who keeps his word.

Brohm staying at Purdue had more to do with what Purdue can offer rather than what UofL couldn't offer...if that makes sense.
For Brohm, the intangibles at Purdue are not gonna outweigh the same at U of L anytime soon. In Louisville's case, that's a lifetime of intangibles.

And Big Ten football money notwithstanding, there are no financial advantages with Purdue athletics--at least that was the case before the AD and clowns we have in charge now. Brohm would have had his money guaranteed contractually anyway, so he had no direct stake in U of L's overall finances.

In terms of coaching ability, I don't really regret missing out on Jeff. He's a good guy with a lot of local support, but I was before and still am unconvinced that he consistently coaches at a high level. The guy U of L got as fallback--Satterfield--is likely every bit the coach that Brohm is. He just doesn't have the marquee value in Louisville that Brohm would have...

Lol if you actually believe this. Purdue will never be on the level of Ohio State, Michigan, or Penn State but they could absolutely turn into an Iowa/MSU type program. They were well on their way with Tiller but our cheap AD didn’t capitalize on it when he had the chance. Now we have a coach who’s paid in the top 15. Brohm has a sweet set-up in the West Division to compete for conference championships. For a “bottom feeder program”, we have a pretty solid history with plenty of notable NFL stars. If you think Purdue is bottom feeder, what is UL?
It’s so funny to me that when called out for having a historically shitty program, all you boils run to play the “we have guys in the NFL” card - specifically sack hanging on Brees (who wasn’t good enough btw to win the Heisman) as if that is meaningful.

I “think” purdoo has cycled through six coaches in the last 10 years and has gone 44-80 and missed going to a bowl 6 times in that span.

That screams bottom feeder little buddy.

Reactions: TDredbird
Nothing but love here for the entire Brohm family. I truly believe the deciding factor for Jeff was his loyalty to the kids he had and was recruiting there. However, that was true before he played the "alma mater" game like a fine tuned fiddle. Either way, I wish him well but if he believes he'll ever be welcomed here again, he's dead wrong. I want UL to kick his ass every year in local recruiting, no more free passes like you had with lil bobby, wil nicky and family.

It’s so funny to me that when called out for having a historically shitty program, all you boils run to play the “we have guys in the NFL” card - specifically sack hanging on Brees (who wasn’t good enough btw to win the Heisman) as if that is meaningful.

I “think” purdoo has cycled through six coaches in the last 10 years and has gone 44-80 and missed going to a bowl 6 times in that span.

Going back six coaches gets you to like 1987 and that includes Brohm. I bet that is similar to Louisville. You can have a conversation without referring to purdoo. That just screams insecure.

Going back six coaches gets you to like 1987 and that includes Brohm. I bet that is similar to Louisville. You can have a conversation without referring to purdoo. That just screams insecure.

What screams insecure is your presence on our board.

Reactions: BPGhost
What screams insecure is your presence on our board.

You’re talking about Purdue’s coach. Why am I a threat to you or an annoyance? I am not trashing UL, any of their staff, or any rational posters. I’m not the one coming off as insecure, but carry on.

Tiller - 2008
Hope - 2009-2012
Higgins - 2012
Hazell - 2013-2016
Parker - 2016
Brohm - 2017 - current

Maybe get to know the purdoo program rather than coming here and showing your ignorance.

Reactions: TDredbird and gocds
Brohm didn't come to Louisville because he was loyal to Purdue. There is nothing wrong with that and nothing Tyra was going to do to get him here. Brohm's camp was the group telling people he was coming but Brohm surprised them when he stayed. Tyra didn't get his guy but let's not act like this like Jurich landing a big fish like Pitinio. Jurich hired 1 whale, and a bunch of up and coming coaches/assistants. You could argue Tyra is following that same blueprint. Mack isn't nearly as accomplished as Pitino, but he is a good coach that is up and coming,

I think volleyball, sofetball and golf are in good hands. The jury is still out of lacrosse and soccer. We will see if what this football staff does in the fall early impressions they know what they are doing.

Let me understand hire and keep good coaches within your budget and winning games isn't a good thing. Interesting take.

Tiller - 2008
Hope - 2009-2012
Higgins - 2012
Hazell - 2013-2016
Parker - 2016
Brohm - 2017 - current

Maybe get to know the purdoo program rather than coming here and showing your ignorance.

You are counting two interim coaches who coached one game and the other a few games. I don’t really consider them, but fine if you want to. My list was:

Akers
Colletto
Tiller
Hope
Hazell
Brohm

Those are the guys hired specifically to run Purdue’s program. Do you count your substitute teachers when you list all of the teachers that you had in school?

Again, have you looked at your historical record versus Purdue's historical record? Six coaches? Lol. Brohm is the 3rd coach in the last 10 years. Close though.

Way to only factor in the last 10 years though. That's about as long as you've been playing actual big boy football after decades of playing in terrible conferences.

You can't credibly call Purdue a bottom feeder while thinking Louisville is significantly better.

Tiller - 2008
Hope - 2009-2012
Higgins - 2012
Hazell - 2013-2016
Parker - 2016
Brohm - 2017 - current

Maybe don't count interim coaches after the HC was fired lol. Nice reach there.

You are counting two interim coaches who coached one game and the other a few games. I don’t really consider them, but fine if you want to. My list was:

Akers
Colletto
Tiller
Hope
Hazell
Brohm

Those are the guys hired specifically to run Purdue’s program. Do you count your substitute teachers when you list all of the teachers that you had in school?
I'm listing all guys that are listed as the HC of purdoo during that period - were they the official HC or not? Looking at it in any other manner is cherry picking information plain and simple.

But hey, you do you.

Maybe don't count interim coaches after the HC was fired lol. Nice reach there.
No reach at - historical fact. Maybe don't have the type of program that hires multiple guys in a decade that need to be replaced mid-season - lol.

No reach at - historical fact. Maybe don't have the type of program that hires multiple guys in a decade that need to be replaced mid-season - lol.

You're going to be in the minority with that opinion. But hey whatever floats your boat. Regardless, we went from the worst 4-year stretch in our history to having a ton of publicity, the 3rd highest paid coach in the league, and a great coach. Purdue is in a much better spot than UL right now (not earth shattering of course) when only a few years back it was the exact opposite.

Again, have you looked at your historical record versus Purdue's historical record? Six coaches? Lol. Brohm is the 3rd coach in the last 10 years. Close though.

Way to only factor in the last 10 years though. That's about as long as you've been playing actual big boy football after decades of playing in terrible conferences.

You can't credibly call Purdue a bottom feeder while thinking Louisville is significantly better.
Given that the 2019-2020 football season has yet to be played - 10 years ago includes the 2008 season. That would include tiller and would mean that even if you decided to exclude to individuals that were listed on purdoo's historical record as the HC - Brohm would be the 4th coach in that time span.

Ok - let's compare programs during just those years that UofL has been playing "actual big boy football".

Total record
UofL 107-60 (.641) / purdoo 64-99 (.393)

Bowls made & record

UofL - (9 bowls made / 4 years missed) - 5-4 record - including 2 BCS wins / purdoo (6 bowls made / 7 years missed) - 3-3 record - including 0 BCS appearances. Also notable in purdoo's bowl record of this time period - 4 of the 6 bowls made were with a 6-6 record - meaning purdoo was the recipient of the welfare associated with the glut of bowl games. Louisville received 1 bowl bid as a 6-6 team.

FTR - my post only said that purdoo was a P5 bottom feeder and made no mention of Louisville's status. That said, I'd say the records above resoundingly say that UofL has unquestionably been the far better program during the span that you identified.

"but, but, but - Drew Brees" - lol.

You're going to be in the minority with that opinion. But hey whatever floats your boat. Regardless, we went from the worst 4-year stretch in our history to having a ton of publicity, the 3rd highest paid coach in the league, and a great coach. Purdue is in a much better spot than UL right now (not earth shattering of course) when only a few years back it was the exact opposite.
I'm in the minority with the opinion that it says something - and not something positive - about a program that has hired two coaches in a 10 year span that were so bad, they had to be replaced mid-season? Maybe that's a minority opinion within boil nation but, lol - ok - whatever helps you get through the day.

The jury is out on whether Brohm is a "great coach" - to suggest anything else is simply foolish at this point. What's not foolish to suggest - is that either way it works out - it works out poorly for purdoo. If Brohm is a great coach - he's gone in(side) of two years to a non P5 bottom feeder or the NFL - if he's simply ok, purdoo will continue to hover in the .500 range of football that he's produced thus far. I guess it's safe to say that there's limited chance that he's really bad - I mean like Danny Hope or Darrell Hazell bad.

Lastly, whatever spot UofL is or isn't in has zero direct correlation with purdoo. As your comment suggests though, fortunes change quickly and my guess is that both programs will soon be back in the company that they were those four years ago.

Yes, nothing spells success like a .500 record. Jeff is going to have to turn it on to move the needle.

You’re talking about Purdue’s coach. Why am I a threat to you or an annoyance? I am not trashing UL, any of their staff, or any rational posters. I’m not the one coming off as insecure, but carry on.

You're the one trolling our site to see if we are talking about Brohm. Why do you care enough about what we think to spend your time whining about what we have to say? Seems pretty insecure, but hey, carry on, Bucko.

I'm in the minority with the opinion that it says something - and not something positive - about a program that has hired two coaches in a 10 year span that were so bad, they had to be replaced mid-season? Maybe that's a minority opinion within boil nation but, lol - ok - whatever helps you get through the day.

The jury is out on whether Brohm is a "great coach" - to suggest anything else is simply foolish at this point. What's not foolish to suggest - is that either way it works out - it works out poorly for purdoo. If Brohm is a great coach - he's gone in(side) of two years to a non P5 bottom feeder or the NFL - if he's simply ok, purdoo will continue to hover in the .500 range of football that he's produced thus far. I guess it's safe to say that there's limited chance that he's really bad - I mean like Danny Hope or Darrell Hazell bad.

Lastly, whatever spot UofL is or isn't in has zero direct correlation with purdoo. As your comment suggests though, fortunes change quickly and my guess is that both programs will soon be back in the company that they were those four years ago.

Only one of the coaches was replaced mid-season (Hazell after the 6th game). Danny Hope made a bowl game but was fired after the final regular season game. The interim coach simply coached the bowl game.

I'll agree Purdue has been a bottom feeder the last 10 years. But historically? Not even close.

Not sure why you're comparing Hope to Hazell. Hazell was one of the worst coaches in P5 history. Hope was mediocre but far from terrible.

Yes, nothing spells success like a .500 record. Jeff is going to have to turn it on to move the needle.

Context matters just a bit wouldn't you agree? Normally, .500 is nothing to brag about. But after 9 total wins in 4 years with easily the worst P5 roster in football, .500 is pretty legit. Especially destroying OSU like they did.

Only one of the coaches was replaced mid-season (Hazell after the 6th game). Danny Hope made a bowl game but was fired after the final regular season game. The interim coach simply coached the bowl game.

I'll agree Purdue has been a bottom feeder the last 10 years. But historically? Not even close.

Not sure why you're comparing Hope to Hazell. Hazell was one of the worst coaches in P5 history. Hope was mediocre but far from terrible.
Fair enough - I'll amend my prior question. I'm in the minority with the opinion that it says something - and not something positive - about a program that has hired two coaches in a 10 year span that were so bad, they had to be replaced while the season was still ongoing? Does that make you feel better?

I made no comparison between Hope and Hazell - I simply and factually stated that they were both so bad, that they were both canned during the season. Is that a fact that's in dispute? You might want to read my posts more carefully before responding to them.

Or better yet, you could head back to the boil board where things like reading comprehension are less important.

Brohm didn't come to Louisville because he was loyal to Purdue. There is nothing wrong with that and nothing Tyra was going to do to get him here...
You can tell yourself that to make you feel good. But there's no evidence supporting that POV except that "Vince" didn't make it happen after touting Brohm as his #1 candidate. You believe it was out of his hands because you don't want to make him responsible. Unfortunately, as AD, "Vince" was the guy most responsible for making that hire.

And we do now know factually how much money Brohm will be making and how much money would have kept U of L in the sweepstakes. My belief in the end is that most things come down to money...

Fair enough - I'll amend my prior question. I'm in the minority with the opinion that it says something - and not something positive - about a program that has hired two coaches in a 10 year span that were so bad, they had to be replaced while the season was still ongoing? Does that make you feel better?

I made no comparison between Hope and Hazell - I simply and factually stated that they were both so bad, that they were both canned during the season. Is that a fact that's in dispute? You might want to read my posts more carefully before responding to them.

Or better yet, you could head back to the boil board where things like reading comprehension are less important.
Yes. Hope wasn't fired in season. He was fired after the season. Coached 12 games last year.

Also not sure how Purdue is considered a bottom feeder program when they are recruiting in the top 25 with some of the nicest facilities in the big ten, but whatever helps you sleep at not. Brohm is just getting started at Purdue. Hopefully Purdue and Louisville will get a series back. That was a fun game!

I'm listing all guys that are listed as the HC of purdoo during that period - were they the official HC or not? Looking at it in any other manner is cherry picking information plain and simple.

But hey, you do you.

As of this fall, UL will have had five coaches in 11 years. Neither Purdue nor UL have had more than one coach last more than five years since the late sixties. Pot meet kettle.

As of this fall, UL will have had five coaches in 11 years. Neither Purdue nor UL have had more than one coach last more than five years since the late sixties. Pot meet kettle.
True - and it sure seems like a gotcha moment until you consider the relative comparative circumstances of the two programs.

- Two of those coaches (Petrino & Strong) left to become HC of the Atlanta Falcons and UT.
- One (kragthorpe) was fired with a record that more than likely would have earned him another year at purdoo. As it stands, he’s considered to be the worst football coach ever at Louisville.
- One (Petrino 2.0) was fired with a record that had he been at purdoo and considering recent events, would have had the boils paying him close to eight figures to retain.

All of purdoo’s coaches during the same span have either outright sucked or were at best mediocre. One retired, two were not retained, two fired during the season and one with a .500 record (and fresh off a prison beat down in the bowl game) got a raise in the neighborhood of 2.5M.

Yeah - it’s the same. Pot meet dumbass.

Spoiler Alert - you’re both of them.

Yes. Hope wasn't fired in season. He was fired after the season. Coached 12 games last year.

Also not sure how Purdue is considered a bottom feeder program when they are recruiting in the top 25 with some of the nicest facilities in the big ten, but whatever helps you sleep at not. Brohm is just getting started at Purdue. Hopefully Purdue and Louisville will get a series back. That was a fun game!
purdoo’s stadium is HS level at best. I hope that they do start a series - we like wins here.

Only a boil fan would consider losing “fun” - lol.

Reactions: WhatMeWorry
purdoo’s stadium is HS level at best. I hope that they do start a series - we like wins here.

Only a boil fan would consider losing “fun” - lol.
Purdues football stadium is about to undergo major renovations. Just an FYI. This summer, it is getting a ribbon board in the north endzone that will be 10 ft by 375 ft. I think they want to tear down and redo the east deck next year. I think they want to raise it so it's a second deck, they also want to redo the entire south endzone in the next few years with a new video board. I'm sure there are other things as well. So those improvements are coming. Purdue football had fallen into a pretty bad place under the previous AD, but it's a pretty good job nowadays. If Brohm leaves after this year, Purdue wouldn't struggle to find another coach to take the job and they wouldn't fall back down to nothing, lets put it that way. But idk where Brohm would go. He's getting everything he wants and needs. Same with Painter. I laughed at the UCLA speculation.

Purdues football stadium is about to undergo major renovations. Just an FYI. This summer, it is getting a ribbon board in the north endzone that will be 10 ft by 375 ft. I think they want to tear down and redo the east deck next year. I think they want to raise it so it's a second deck, they also want to redo the entire south endzone in the next few years with a new video board. I'm sure there are other things as well. So those improvements are coming. Purdue football had fallen into a pretty bad place under the previous AD, but it's a pretty good job nowadays. If Brohm leaves after this year, Purdue wouldn't struggle to find another coach to take the job and they wouldn't fall back down to nothing, lets put it that way. But idk where Brohm would go. He's getting everything he wants and needs. Same with Painter. I laughed at the UCLA speculation.
Stopped reading after the 1st sentence. Why would you think anyone here would give a shit about purdoo renovating it’s crummy stadium?

Reactions: Mayoman
Stopped reading after the 1st sentence. Why would you think anyone here would give a shit about purdoo renovating it’s crummy stadium?
I mean, you were the ones calling a program out for being something that isn't entirely true. But ok. Keep believing your false narrative that Purdue has never been good at football, Drew Brees is the only great NFL player to come from Purdue, and they will never be good, let alone a top 25 team.

I mean, you were the ones calling a program out for being something that isn't entirely true. But ok. Keep believing your false narrative that Purdue has never been good at football, Drew Brees is the only great NFL player to come from Purdue, and they will never be good, let alone a top 25 team.

Why are you still here? Get it through your thick skull.....most of us here are sick of your dribble and don't care what you have to say about Brohm or Purdue. A wise person would take the hint and stay on their home board.:oops::rolleyes:o_O;):D But maybe you not so wise.:confused:o_O

Reactions: gocds
Why are you still here? Get it through your thick skull.....most of us here are sick of your dribble and don't care what you have to say about Brohm or Purdue. A wise person would take the hint and stay on their home board.:oops::rolleyes:o_O;):D But maybe you not so wise.:confused:o_O
I made like 3 comments, but yes. Call me out. Lol anyways. I'll take your advice and go read about one of the best up and coming football programs in the country. Good luck this year!

Let’s review.
1. HS stadium at best - Check
2. Weird obsession with referencing Brees and other former boils in NFL when defending strength of purdoo program - Check
3. purdoo program historically has never experienced sustained success (254-311-7 & only 18 bowl appearances in the last 50 years) or sniffed sustained Top 25 status - Check

I think that’s ample proof that we’ve been calling purdoo boil football exactly what it is.

Reactions: TDredbird
Not sure why some of you guys are so hard on the Purdue posters on this board. They didnt come on here talking trash until you guys were rude to them.

Way to make us look like the school east of here..

Reactions: aaa007
Arguing this is pointless sense its all speculation without any evidence to back it up.
Exactly..
Same guy, same broken down narrative.. He's no fan of UofL.

He has some hidden jealousy of Vince (wife probably has a crush on him)and it just eats his soul..

Reactions: Art79
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT