ADVERTISEMENT

Another failed narrative: Jeff Brohm now making $5.35 million...

zipp

Elite Member
Jun 26, 2001
LINK

NOT the $6 million that "Vince" was applauded for not paying to land Brohm.

That number's about a million more than Petrino was making. That was where "Vince" decided not to go, although it's hard to understand what he expected to pay when he started negotiating with Brohm. The numbers guy thought Brohm was as big a U of L fanboy as he is. (Note to "Vince": the world does not manage decisions in that realm--which is why U of L fund raising is also a big deal.)

I was never happy about a financially strapped U of L paying Petrino $14 million and millions more to attract Brohm. But ONCE YOU DECIDE TO GO DOWN THAT PATH, you need to get the job done. I equated it to driving 100 miles and second guessing yourself driving the last couple of miles. Makes no sense.

I also don't think Brohm is a slam dunk better coach than Satterfield. He may not be any better at all in the end. But THERE'S NO QUESTION about the replacement that fans wanted. There's no question how much better transition--recruiting and everything else considered--would have resulted had "Vince" finished the job. And there's no question how much more buzz there would be around the football program.

Second rate AD, second rate results. And welcome to the world of de-emphasized athletics...

Last edited:
LINK

That number's about a million more than Petrino was making. That was where "Vince" decided not to go, although it's hard to understand what he expected to pay when he started negotiating with Brohm. The numbers guy thought Brohm was as big a U of L fanboy as he is. (Note to "Vince": the world does not manage decisions in that realm--which is why U of L fund raising is also a big deal.)

I was never happy about a financially strapped U of L paying Petrino $14 million and millions more to attract Brohm. But ONCE YOU DECIDE TO GO DOWN THAT PATH, you need to get the job done. I equated it to driving 100 miles and second guessing yourself driving the last couple of miles. Makes no sense.

I also don't think Brohm is a slam dunk better coach that Satterfield. He may not be any better at all in the end. But THERE'S NO QUESTION about the replacement that fans wanted. There's no question how much better transition--recruiting and everything else considered--would have resulted had "Vince" finished the job. And there's no question how much more buzz there would be around the football program.

Second rate AD, second rate results. And welcome to the world of de-emphasized athletics...
Do you know for a fact that it was just money? Nobody associated with the negotiations said that publicly. Perhaps there were other factors.

Do you know for a fact that it was just money? Nobody associated with the negotiations said that publicly. Perhaps there were other factors.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!!!

How dare you question the Wizard of Oz!

Well, it could have purely been about his new boss. (Same guy in those crosshairs.)

You speculate for me what it could have been about. What would keep any of the Brohms from wanting to coach at U of L?

In the end, it doesn't matter. "Vince" very publicly and unequivocally went after Brohm as his target. Many of us were told the final analysis was about money, that Brohm wanted way too much. I said from the beginning and with no insider info that it would take $5 million, so I was off by $0.35 million if you want to look at it that way.

What was "Vince" planning for, to pay LESS than Purdue? No raise at all? Is that a plan??

Purdue didn't rob a bank to afford Brohm. They gave him a million dollar raise. Rick Barnes at Tennessee--not a great coach--just got a $1 million raise on a much smaller basketball salary.

And "Vince" just saved a million annually hiring Satterfield. Welcome to big time football...

Last edited:
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!!!

How dare you push back against the clown show.
FIFY

parade%20of%20fools%2002_zpst8nl9j0b.jpg

Tyra wasn’t the first AD to miss on his first choice for a new head coach for a program, and he won’t be the last either.

Quit criticizing him for crap that’s beyond his control (it was Brohm’s choice not to come, not Tyra’s) and also for “second rate results” that haven’t happened yet. At this point, the only concrete thing to criticize him for is hiring a coach that had a John L Smith level recruiting rankings while cobbling together a class after the early signing period and just a month before the late one.

If that’s the best you’ve got, you’ve got a whole bunch of nothing.

Well, it could have purely been about his new boss. (Same guy in those crosshairs.)

You speculate for me what it could have been about. What would keep any of the Brohms from wanting to coach at U of L?

In the end, it doesn't matter. "Vince" very publicly and unequivocally went after Brohm as his target. Many of us were told the final analysis was about money, that Brohm wanted way too much. I said from the beginning and with no insider info that it would take $5 million, so I was off by $0.35 million if you want to look at it that way.

What was "Vince" planning for, to pay LESS than Purdue? No raise at all? Is that a plan??

Purdue didn't rob a bank to afford Brohm. They gave him a million dollar raise. Rick Barnes at Tennessee--not a great coach--just got a $1 million raise on a much smaller basketball salary.

And "Vince" just saved a million annually hiring Satterfield. Welcome to big time football...

I'm not sure how you calculated that last part ("saved a million"), but if Brohm is making $5.35 million and Satterfield is making $3.2 million, it seems to me that that is a difference of $2 million.

And I think we can interpret Brohm's new contract a little differently... If the reports are true that Tyra offered a little more than $5 million a year for Brohm, than the offer was right in the ballpark.

Maybe Brohm has really gotten so attached to Purdue or maybe he wasn't comfortable with Tyra, but it didn't work out, and it's time to move on.

Reactions: REDFISTFURY3

We will never know. You are speculating as well. But if you are right, maybe Vince NQ wasnt acting independently. Maybe there was someone restricting his options. Maybe someone influential, say, on the BoT, didn’t want a coach from the “old guard” coming back.

I personally think we got the better deal. Good old Zipp changes his tune more often then a band.

Not sure about the rest of you all but my max for Brohm was $5 million. I’m not paying a .500 football coach any more than that even if he is the native son. That seems quite ridiculous to me.

Reactions: REDFISTFURY3
Tyra wasn’t the first AD to miss on his first choice for a new head coach for a program, and he won’t be the last either.

Quit criticizing him for crap that’s beyond his control (it was Brohm’s choice not to come, not Tyra’s) and also for “second rate results” that haven’t happened yet. At this point, the only concrete thing to criticize him for is hiring a coach that had a John L Smith level recruiting rankings while cobbling together a class after the early signing period and just a month before the late one.

If that’s the best you’ve got, you’ve got a whole bunch of nothing.
If you don't wanna read my posts, don't click on 'em. Good luck directing me not to do something.

"Vince" is like a lotta ineffective ADs who fail to deliver on Plan A. We were never used to that...

If Purdue was willing to is paying him 5.35 million it would have taken more than that to get him to change jobs and come back. The 6 million number is very realistic in that case.

How does Rick Barnes getting a raise validate your point? He got a milllion dollar raise on a smaller total amount vaidate your point? That means that UT is still on the hook for a smaller amount than Purdue is. That should make it easier to give a raise than harder.

If Purdue was willing to is paying him 5.35 million it would have taken more than that to get him to change jobs and come back. The 6 million number is very realistic in that case.

How does Rick Barnes getting a raise validate your point? He got a milllion dollar raise on a smaller total amount vaidate your point? That means that UT is still on the hook for a smaller amount than Purdue is. That should make it easier to give a raise than harder.

He's just arguing against hisself.
Had Vince landed yellow boy, Zipp would have complained that he overspent for yellow boy.

Didn’t Tom strike out on Rich Rod and took Bobby 2.0 because of it?

Recall hearing where we struck out on two big names and WKU made the phone call saying Bobby was interested in returning.

ADs regularly fail on plan A. The problem with this go around was how public it was.

I'm not sure how you calculated that last part ("saved a million"), but if Brohm is making $5.35 million and Satterfield is making $3.2 million, it seems to me that that is a difference of $2 million.

And I think we can interpret Brohm's new contract a little differently... If the reports are true that Tyra offered a little more than $5 million a year for Brohm, than the offer was right in the ballpark.

Maybe Brohm has really gotten so attached to Purdue or maybe he wasn't comfortable with Tyra, but it didn't work out, and it's time to move on.
Maybe a lotta things...

No one's telling me that the intangibles at U of L didn't outweigh the same anywhere else with the possible exception of a place like Notre Dame. If "Vince" had made the same offer as Purdue, the Brohms would have retaken Louisville by storm, and we'd likely be talking about a Top 25 recruiting class and a more optimistic future.

It was said by many people besides me that U of L wasn't getting the "hometown discount" with Brohm. If "Vince" thought Brohm's heartstrings were so strong that we just had to ring a bell, he found out the hard way otherwise. $5 million was what we needed to pay.

Speaking of which, the "million saved" is a reference to Petrino and Satterfield. That's what we know "Vince" gained in the exchange. Whoopee...

The Louisville job offered obvious things that Purdue didn't for the same amount of money. And Brohm ends up at Purdue--you tell me what happened? Esp. since "Vince" never disclosed what his offer was.

The Tennessee million is a reference to how nominal Brohm's raise at Purdue is/was. They didn't need to rob a bank to retain Brohm, and our crack-shot AD STILL came up short. Boggles the mind...

Reactions: UofLCardfan
Didn’t Tom strike out on Rich Rod and took Bobby 2.0 because of it?

Recall hearing where we struck out on two big names and WKU made the phone call saying Bobby was interested in returning.

ADs regularly fail on plan A. The problem with this go around was how public it was.
No recollection of anyone besides Petrino on Jurich's list. I'll gladly read a link otherwise if you have one.

No chance it was as public as this Brohm fiasco, however...

Reactions: UofLCardfan
The Louisville job offered obvious things that Purdue didn't for the same amount of money. And Brohm ends up at Purdue--you tell me what happened? Esp. since "Vince" never disclosed what his offer was.

The Tennessee million is a reference to how nominal Brohm's raise at Purdue is/was. They didn't need to rob a bank to retain Brohm, and our crack-shot AD STILL came up short. Boggles the mind...

Where is your proof that Brohm would have left Purdue for the same or a little bit less money? That makes little to no sense unless Brohm really just wanted to be the hometown savior.

Other than being the hometown savior, what can Louisville offer that to a coach that Purdue can't? I'm not saying that UofL doesn't have advantages over Purdue but if Brohm can get to a CFP at UofL he can do so at Purdue. We've had a better recent winning history but can be attributed more to coaching than any sort of advantage we've had as a program. Neither program is in a recruiting hotbed and neither program have the type of history that a Bama or tOSU have that recruits just grow up hoping to go there.

Purdue upped Brohm's salary by 1.5 million taking him from 27 to top 10 in coaching salaries. Was that their final offer? I doubt it was and I doubt that it would have cost less that 6 million to get him to uproot his family, his assistants and their families, and start a rebuild all over again.

Where is your proof that Brohm would have left Purdue for the same or a little bit less money? That makes little to no sense unless Brohm really just wanted to be the hometown savior...
No chance that was possible. :rolleyes:
...what can Louisville offer that to a coach that Purdue can't? I'm not saying that UofL doesn't have advantages over Purdue but if Brohm can get to a CFP at UofL he can do so at Purdue. We've had a better recent winning history but can be attributed more to coaching than any sort of advantage we've had as a program. Neither program is in a recruiting hotbed and neither program have the type of history that a Bama or tOSU have that recruits just grow up hoping to go there...
Many were arguing just the OPPOSITE in this space while Brohm was being recruited to come here. Yours is a convenient narrative after we've failed to make that happen.
...Purdue upped Brohm's salary by 1.5 million taking him from 27 to top 10 in coaching salaries. Was that their final offer? I doubt it was and I doubt that it would have cost less that 6 million to get him to uproot his family, his assistants and their families, and start a rebuild all over again.
There's no evidence that "Vince" was even willing to pay $5 million. But like you're doing now, I was told it was gonna take $6. Yet, Brohm accepted just a little more than $5 from Purdue.

All of that tells me that "Vince" didn't have a well thought out plan than involved enough money. And of course, he failed magnificently. He thought he could get a hometown discount from another fanboy like himself. "Vince" is a small thinker, and he doesn't understand how others don't think like he does...

Last edited:
No chance that was possible. :rolleyes:

Many were arguing just the OPPOSITE in this space while Brohm was being recruited to come here. Yours is a convenient narrative after we've failed to make that happen.

There's no evidence that "Vince" was even willing to pay $5 million. But like you're doing now, I was told it was gonna that $6. Yet, Brohm accepted just a little more than $5 from Purdue.

All of that tells me that "Vince" didn't have a well thought out plan than involved enough money. And of course, he failed magnificently. He thought he could get a hometown discount from another fanboy like himself. "Vince" is a small thinker, and he doesn't understand how others don't think like he does...

How do you know that Tyra's offer wasn't 5 million? Purdue paid over 5 million so any speculation that Tyra's number was less than that is unfounded. Its also a guess to say we only had to match Purdue's offer to take him away. There is no way to know but I'd be willing to bet the number to take away Brohm was closer to 6 million.

You are right in that the narrative that Brohm couldn't win at Purdue like he could at UofL is BS. I disagreed with it then and still do now just like I never bought into the hometown hero thing being the deciding factor. I definitely think that it would have been a draw but money was always going to be the deciding factor and 6 mil is a lot for a Brohm's 13-13 record at Purdue.

Not paying that amount is only a failure if Satterfield doesn't work out but it would have been a failure if Brohm didn't work and there is a lot less money invested Satterfied than there would have been with Brohm. Next year when you are cheering on our opponents Satterfield can silence the doubters by showing improvement.

LINK

I also don't think Brohm is a slam dunk better coach that Satterfield. He may not be any better at all in the end. But THERE'S NO QUESTION about the replacement that fans wanted. There's no question how much better transition--recruiting and everything else considered--would have resulted had "Vince" finished the job. And there's no question how much more buzz there would be around the football program.

Spot on Conclusion.

How do you know that Tyra's offer wasn't 5 million? Purdue paid over 5 million so any speculation that Tyra's number was less than that is unfounded. Its also a guess to say we only had to match Purdue's offer to take him away. There is no way to know but I'd be willing to bet the number to take away Brohm was closer to 6 million.

You are right in that the narrative that Brohm couldn't win at Purdue like he could at UofL is BS. I disagreed with it then and still do now just like I never bought into the hometown hero thing being the deciding factor. I definitely think that it would have been a draw but money was always going to be the deciding factor and 6 mil is a lot for a Brohm's 13-13 record at Purdue.

Not paying that amount is only a failure if Satterfield doesn't work out but it would have been a failure if Brohm didn't work and there is a lot less money invested Satterfied than there would have been with Brohm. Next year when you are cheering on our opponents Satterfield can silence the doubters by showing improvement.
When all of the intangibles were on U of L's side of the ledger, why would Brohm have turned down U of L for equal money? He wouldn't have--makes no sense.

Regardless of how well Satterfield turns out, there's no question that this program has taken at least one step back in terms of money, fan support, and what will be on the field next year. A step back wasn't necessary with Brohm.

And despite what you think, I hope Satterfield eventually gets the job done. It will take him longer than it would have taken Brohm, but he may end up taking it further. I still need to be convinced that Jeff is a great coach, and I felt that way before he turned "Vince" down. My opinions aren't generally based on what people decide...

They didn't need to rob a bank to retain Brohm, and our crack-shot AD STILL came up short. Boggles the mind...
Not when you consider that Purdue has B1G network $$ to burn. Of course they didn’t have to rob a bank. They could have always outbid us. FWIW, I think Satterfield has a more impressive track record so far than Brohm. He’s a better value, which is what we need at this point.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
When all of the intangibles were on U of L's side of the ledger, why would Brohm have turned down U of L for equal money? He wouldn't have--makes no sense.

Regardless of how well Satterfield turns out, there's no question that this program has taken at least one step back in terms of money, fan support, and what will be on the field next year. A step back wasn't necessary with Brohm.

And despite what you think, I hope Satterfield eventually gets the job done. It will take him longer than it would have taken Brohm, but he may end up taking it further. I still need to be convinced that Jeff is a great coach, and I felt that way before he turned "Vince" down. My opinions aren't generally based on what people decide...

Its a false narrative that all of the intangibles were on UofL's side. We had some benefits like coming back to your hometown and coaching your alma mater but the downside is that you moving yours and your entire staff's families again, you are restarting a rebuild from scratch, and leaving players that you recruited to Purdue. I don't think any of those aren't things that money could not overcome but they definitely make you reconsider if the money is the same.

I think that excitement for the beginning of next year is going to be down because Satterfield isn't the "splash" hire, which is something I think is highly overrated by fans fwiw but I don't think Brohm changes the actual results of next season by much. The recruiting class may have been a little better since we'd have a few Purdue recruits especially the locals that went there but this is football and one or two freshman don't usually change the outlook of a season that much.

The biggest knock right now on Satterfield is that he wasn't a great recruiter and that's why a lot of people don't think he can rebuild quickly but he took steps to help that. We hired a bunch of assistants who have reps as talented recruiters.

LINK

I also don't think Brohm is a slam dunk better coach than Satterfield. He may not be any better at all in the end. But THERE'S NO QUESTION about the replacement that fans wanted. There's no question how much better transition--recruiting and everything else considered--would have resulted had "Vince" finished the job. And there's no question how much more buzz there would be around the football program.

You’re our dorkmeister...

Here is a variable to consider. Brohm followed Petrino at WKU and had more success there than CBP had based on overall record/winning %.

He also saw firsthand the problems that he had to fix at WKU vs lesser competition and considered that UofL had more severe problems this time after a failed 2-10 season....and he did not want to clean up that mess and encounter the same type of issues that 'He who will be nameless' faced the first time CBP left.

That and he knew PU would pony up what UofL could not and the rebuild at UofL would be 2 years behind his rebuild of PU. He did a basic cost basis analysis and made the more lucrative choice with the best chance to grow his reputation as one of the younger up and coming coaches in all or CFB.

We shall see if he is successful in the B10 as he could have been in the ACC at his alma mater. It is all good....we can sit back and watch him prove his worth, just not at UofL's expense. CSS may prove to be the better fit in the long run...time will tell.

Not when you consider that Purdue has B1G network $$ to burn. Of course they didn’t have to rob a bank. They could have always outbid us. FWIW, I think Satterfield has a more impressive track record so far than Brohm. He’s a better value, which is what we need at this point.
Purdue's athletics finances (#46) in 2016-17 were $36 million behind U of L's (#22). LINK

No way under ordinary circumstances that Purdue should have been able to outbid U of L for a coach. Of course, things have changed lately...

Its a false narrative that all of the intangibles were on UofL's side. We had some benefits like coming back to your hometown and coaching your alma mater but the downside is that you moving yours and your entire staff's families again, you are restarting a rebuild from scratch, and leaving players that you recruited to Purdue. I don't think any of those aren't things that money could not overcome but they definitely make you reconsider if the money is the same.

I think that excitement for the beginning of next year is going to be down because Satterfield isn't the "splash" hire, which is something I think is highly overrated by fans fwiw but I don't think Brohm changes the actual results of next season by much. The recruiting class may have been a little better since we'd have a few Purdue recruits especially the locals that went there but this is football and one or two freshman don't usually change the outlook of a season that much.

The biggest knock right now on Satterfield is that he wasn't a great recruiter and that's why a lot of people don't think he can rebuild quickly but he took steps to help that. We hired a bunch of assistants who have reps as talented recruiters.
The Brohms had deep roots in Louisville even while coaching elsewhere. They reportedly still owned real estate here, and they did a barnstorming tour thru Louisville every summer. Obviously, the parents/grandparents are local fixtures, as is the extended family separate from the three football coaches.

It's comical that after-the-fact apologists wanna argue the very OPPOSITE positions they took when "Vince" was set up to record a DONE DEAL a few months ago. I'd get dizzy if my head spun around at that speed.

No disrespect to Satterfield, but Brohm isn't in Louisville now because your AD isn't savvy enough get a deal like this done. When you think small, you end up smaller than you were. It fits hand-and-glove with de-emphasizing athletics. Gruesome & Co. knew exactly what they were getting with "Vince", and he knows exactly what he's expected to do...

Here is a variable to consider. Brohm followed Petrino at WKU and had more success there than CBP had based on overall record/winning %.

He also saw firsthand the problems that he had to fix at WKU vs lesser competition and considered that UofL had more severe problems this time after a failed 2-10 season....and he did not want to clean up that mess and encounter the same type of issues that 'He who will be nameless' faced the first time CBP left.

That and he knew PU would pony up what UofL could not and the rebuild at UofL would be 2 years behind his rebuild of PU. He did a basic cost basis analysis and made the more lucrative choice with the best chance to grow his reputation as one of the younger up and coming coaches in all or CFB.

We shall see if he is successful in the B10 as he could have been in the ACC at his alma mater. It is all good....we can sit back and watch him prove his worth, just not at UofL's expense. CSS may prove to be the better fit in the long run...time will tell.
If Brohm didn't take the job because he had no confidence in U of L's new administration, whose fault is that?

I lack the same confidence, and this sure as hell ain't my fault...

Don't know how that is your take away from my post. My short version is this: Brohm did not want to clean up Petrino's mess (again) and he got more money to stay at PU for his decision. And he already had/has 2 years invested in his career there. Why would any smart business decision result in any other choice?

The administration of UofL or AD Tyra are not the same thing as Petrino's unbalanced roster mess; team morale, and ? drug problem; and 2-10 debacle. What about that don't you understand?

Brohm's confidence was to dance with the devil he knows and has worked with for these last 2 years. Simple as that.

Don't know how that is your take away from my post. My short version is this: Brohm did not want to clean up Petrino's mess (again) and he got more money to stay at PU for his decision. And he already had/has 2 years invested in his career there. Why would any smart business decision result in any other choice?

The administration of UofL or AD Tyra are not the same thing as Petrino's unbalanced roster mess; team morale, and ? drug problem; and 2-10 debacle. What about that don't you understand?

Brohm's confidence was to dance with the devil he knows and has worked with for these last 2 years. Simple as that.
Your post clearly opined--likely correct--that U of L wouldn't make the financial commitment to rebuilding. That's on the administration whether it was a choice or not. No way would any coach have questioned U of L's commitment WRT Purdue under Jurich.

Hell, many of our fanbase thought it was a joke last Fall comparing U of L football to Purdue. But you're saying the reality otherwise is what kept Brohm away. As I asked... Even if I agreed with that as Brohm's analysis--which I doubt--whose fault was that?

It wasn't about a "mess"...your analysis is about who's here to clean up that mess. And you may be right, but it's the same group of clowns in charge and bearing responsibility. I'm not sure it's too important that we agree on why...

Last edited:
The Brohms had deep roots in Louisville even while coaching elsewhere. They reportedly still owned real estate here, and they did a barnstorming tour thru Louisville every summer. Obviously, the parents/grandparents are local fixtures, as is the extended family separate from the three football coaches.

It's comical that after-the-fact apologists wanna argue the very OPPOSITE positions they took when "Vince" was set up to record a DONE DEAL a few months ago. I'd get dizzy if my head spun around at that speed.

No disrespect to Satterfield, but Brohm isn't in Louisville now because your AD isn't savvy enough get a deal like this done. When you think small, you end up smaller than you were. It fits hand-and-glove with de-emphasizing athletics. Gruesome & Co. knew exactly what they were getting with "Vince", and he knows exactly what he's expected to do...

Jeff Brohm in particular also had a negative history with the university. It could be that he has some negative feelings toward UofL just as much as he may love the city. Arguing this is pointless sense its all speculation without any evidence to back it up.

Reactions: Mayoman
Your post clearly opined--likely correct--that U of L wouldn't make the financial commitment to rebuilding. That's on the administration whether it was a choice or not. No way would any coach have questioned U of L's commitment WRT Purdue under Jurich.

Hell, many of our fanbase thought it was a joke last Fall comparing U of L football to Purdue. But you're saying the reality otherwise is what kept Brohm away. As I asked... Even if I agreed with that as Brohm's analysis--which I doubt--whose fault was that?

It wasn't about a "mess"...your analysis is about who's here to clean up that mess. And you may be right, but it's the same group of clowns in charge and bearing responsibility. I'm not sure it's too important that we agree on why...

Dang, I find myself agreeing with much of what you have said. I do have a few questions and comments though.

I am really not sure what you mean by the second sentence of the first bold comment. This sounds like you are in Jurich's mind and assumes that all coaches would walk lockstep with TJ no matter what. Really?

The Admins have made a commitment to Satterfield as the fix. He came at a lesser initial expense than Brohm would have. It remains to be seen how the both of them do with their programs and teams in the future from this point forward.

What you say of UofL not making the financial commitment is really a matter of perspective on the situation. And right now, it is too early to tell whether it is the most suitable choice or not. But it is a fact it comes with a lower salary price tag which leaves much room for future increases based on performance.

So would you rather pay full price now (Brohm) or get a discount (CSS)? What is most cost effective and financially prudent? Both are highly credible and proficient in their job, with one having a better winning % and championships albeit at a lower level of competition. Mox nix on that.

IRT second bold statement: If not the reality of the situation that UofL found itself in did not sway Brohm's decision, what do you say did? Tyra is too simplistic of an answer. Who is in Brohm's head to know what he was thinking for sure. History shows that he had one bad experience at UofL under TJ's reign and left with some likely ill feelings. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

I ask you in all fairness, If you were in Bohm's shoes, would you leave a situation that you had poured 2 years of your heart and soul in to rebuild at a place that many so called experts predict it can't be done and you are making significant headway and in year 3 could really break out if not by year 4.....to leave for a program left in tatters by a once thought of genious. One who fell on bad times, decimated the team, roster, and morale of the fans; when you can stay put, get a nice raise out of the situation and soldier on with out the mess to clean up behind CBP again. Seems like a no brainer to me.

And it does not rule out in the future Brohm could always return home if and when the job comes open, if he so desires but maybe under better circumstances. Like, CSS is so successful he gets offered his dream job...whatever that might be.

Just some food for thought. Good discussion to have. Cheers! .

Last edited:
Brohm ultimately decided not to come back for one reason and one reason only - he has larger aspirations (NFL or traditional P5 power) than UofL. The quickest way to realize those aspirations was to stay where he was at - not potentially set himself back by undertaking another rebuild. He also understood that coming back to UofL meant at least a five year committment - lest he leave in the middle and completely and forever tarnish his legacy here.

Unless things go south in west laughayette (and it could) and he crashes and burns completely at purdoo, he will be gone to that higher profile job within two years. He will have no problem bailing as he will have left the boils in a much better place than he found them.

Anyone trying to push the narrative that somehow it's Tyra's fault - that he blew the deal or didn't come up with enough money - either doesn't know what they're talking about or is pushing an agenda for their own ridiculous purposes.

In at least one case - both.

Hey all, Purdue guy here who follows the Boilers intently and is a Mod on our rivals board. I wanted to chime in for a moment:

Is it possible that your AD knew of potential NCAA issues coming up and Brohm and his agent asked about any knowledge concerning issues surrounding potential NCAA violations/sanctions? Even for Brohm being from UofL, a pending punishment is a big strike against any program for a coach that seems as though he plays on the up and up only.

It is widely speculated that our AD (Bobinski) never truly gave Brohm a firm number when speaking to him during the process. Brohm and Bobinski have created a very strong relationship throughout the rebuild of the program and that is something I know personally Brohm values at the top of his reasons as to why he chose to stay at Purdue. It should also be noted that it is likely the starting QB this upcoming season at Purdue (Sindelar) was likely going to follow Brohm as well...which calls to the ties Brohm has created with his current players. That had to have had a major impact on his decision as well...he is known as a man who keeps his word.

Brohm staying at Purdue had more to do with what Purdue can offer rather than what UofL couldn't offer...if that makes sense.

Hey all, Purdue guy here who follows the Boilers intently and is a Mod on our rivals board. I wanted to chime in for a moment:

Is it possible that your AD knew of potential NCAA issues coming up and Brohm and his agent asked about any knowledge concerning issues surrounding potential NCAA violations/sanctions? Even for Brohm being from UofL, a pending punishment is a big strike against any program for a coach that seems as though he plays on the up and up only.

It is widely speculated that our AD (Bobinski) never truly gave Brohm a firm number when speaking to him during the process. Brohm and Bobinski have created a very strong relationship throughout the rebuild of the program and that is something I know personally Brohm values at the top of his reasons as to why he chose to stay at Purdue. It should also be noted that it is likely the starting QB this upcoming season at Purdue (Sindelar) was likely going to follow Brohm as well...which calls to the ties Brohm has created with his current players. That had to have had a major impact on his decision as well...he is known as a man who keeps his word.

Brohm staying at Purdue had more to do with what Purdue can offer rather than what UofL couldn't offer...if that makes sense.
1. There are no NCAA issues coming up with football and the only way the AD (or any AD) would know was if notified by the NCAA. Those types of things - as we know - are literally impossible to keep under wraps. Given that Brohm had worked previously for Petrino and followed him as the HC at WKU, he would have intimate knowledge of the type of program he ran - with respect to NCAA rules. Both of these are a huge stretch by you.

2. "Wide speculation" aside, it is plausible that your AD would not give a firm number, and would rather wait to know what sort of numbers would be thrown at Brohm by UofL - or anyone else. That is just negotiations 101. Plus it is also plausible to suggest that Brohm told him that he would give him "last look" during the negotiations. We'll see how "strong" their relationship is when Brohm bails in(side) the two years I predict.

3. As I posted previously, Brohm staying at purdoo had more (everything) to do with his future coaching aspirations of wanting to coach at a perennial top 10 CFB or in the NFL. Not that I am equating the programs but, every reason that was given by boil fans for why he stayed were also given by WKU fans - and he left them. purdoo was, is and will always be a b1g bottom feeder.

Purdue's athletics finances (#46) in 2016-17 were $36 million behind U of L's (#22). LINK

No way under ordinary circumstances that Purdue should have been able to outbid U of L for a coach. Of course, things have changed lately...

Things have changed quite a bit. Purdue saw a bump of $15 million per year from the Big Ten Network and could easily get $7 million in extra ticket sales with a winning program. Louisville also supports 23 varsity programs and Purdue only has 18. Not much of a difference when those things are taken into consideration.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT