ADVERTISEMENT

Am I wrong in feeling this?

Kratz

2500+
Nov 18, 2001
Just landed another 3 star commit to football. Feels kind of disappointing that one of the few spots we have left went to another 3 star. I was hoping that with recent momentum we would be in on some good 4 stars, maybe even snag a 5 star along the way.

Love what we're doing, but I look at all the recruiting lists (espn top 300, etc) and I see all kinds of FSU and Clemson and it does concern me a bit.

Let's differ to the judgment of our coaches on this...all those stars don't seem to be helping Texas, Oklahoma, Auburn, Mich st., etc. on top of that; we have our own 5 star senior WR with shortcomings that have irked some on this board...I'm going to go out on a limb and say stars are not the be all end all of recruiting.

Lamar Jackson winning the Heisman Trophy in December, a College Football playoff push and the new stadium expansion might be game changers when it comes to recruiting.

Those cool new Red Chrome Cardinal helmets and new unis can't hurt either.:D
again, Lamar is a 2/3 star player.
it is about player development. period.

I would like to see 1 or 2, four/five star offensive linemen.

Its the Cards last link to the Title.

Reactions: tn00nan
Well the good news is that he is another player from Florida. It's good to see us continuing to bring in guys from Florida, Alabama and Georgia. That's where our bread and butter is.

I would like to see us bring in more star powered players on the D. Even with Fields, Clemons, DeAngelo, Alexander & Hearns on the D, their D was the one who won the game. The teams that has been bringing in endless 4-5 star guys for several years was the team that had players in our backfield and sacking Jackson. We had no sacks and we didn't hold Clemson to any field goals. Louisville would have won that game if their D didn't stop us within the ten 4 times in that game. They held us to field goals....even at the 2 yard line and stopped us on that last drive. If we punch those in instead of FG's Louisville wins by two scores. Or if our D could have matched their D and stopped Clemson when they got close.

Clemson turned it over 5 times and Louisville still lost. Its because their D got in the backfield and disrupted Louisville more and stopped us several times within the ten.

Maybe Louisville needs even more talent on the D than they currently have. 8 point lead with 7 minutes. Should be able to hold them. 42 seconds until half time, should be able to hold a team for 42 seconds. In big-time games you've got to be able to hold a high powered offense to field goals some of the time. Louisville gave up 6 TD's, no FG's. This on top of getting 5 TO's from them.

Louisville scored 7 times and was in the red zone in the final minute. Their D made enough plays to hold us down enough for them to win. They were in our back field a lot more than we were in theirs.

Maybe a few more star powered guys on D wouldn't hurt.

Far too many folks put far too much stock in the so called "star" system. Just ask yourself if every so called "star voter" actually saw these kids play. Or actually realize what kind of talent they played with and against. Or actually talked with the kid, their coaches or their parents/family to see what kind of heart and mind he had. Yes, a lot of times it is obvious that a HS player has enough talent to realize that he deserves a high spot in the star rating system, i.e. Lamar Jackson. But I'm here to tell you that the majority of those kids are not correctly evaluated. Why else would UofL have so much success with 3 (and even 2 star) star athletes. Of course coaching absolutely needs to be considered and we're very fortunate to have a staff that actually does coach kids up. The perfect example is this past Saturday night where Clemson has all of those highly rated players and our kids went toe to toe and head to head and heart to heart with them. Yeah that's right our little 'ole 2 and 3 star guys showed what they were made of. If it's up to me I'll take our kids everyday. Please don't place me in the group that is disappointed in any 3 star kid from Florida that wants to be a part of our football family.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Last edited:
Can't say that I agree on that. Look at the teams that are ALWAYS at the top. Bama, Ohio State, Clemson, FSU, etc.

The one thing they all have in common is rosters loaded with 4/5 star players. Yes, some under rated players bust out big time in college, and some high rated ones flop. But by in large, the rankings bear out to the perennial contenders.

It's not a coincidence.

Just landed another 3 star commit to football. Feels kind of disappointing that one of the few spots we have left went to another 3 star. I was hoping that with recent momentum we would be in on some good 4 stars, maybe even snag a 5 star along the way.

Love what we're doing, but I look at all the recruiting lists (espn top 300, etc) and I see all kinds of FSU and Clemson and it does concern me a bit.

Correction - a 3-star recruit has tweeted that he is committed to UofL. Mike Singer is working to confirm that it is a valid commitment, and he has not been able to do that yet.

There was another prospect from Miami's Northwestern High who also tweeted earlier this year that he was committed to the University of Louisville, but when Singer went to confirm the commitment, it was determined that he did not have a committable offer.

You can bet that, with all the interest this program is getting right now, if it turns out that his commitment is legitimate, he is a player you can be very excited about.

Try to look at it this way. Stephens visited the campus in July and was offered a scholarship August 1st. He's been sitting on all of his 18 offers, with others likely to follow. Then he sees Louisville's hot start and the buzz that's around the program. He sits no more. To paraphrase a once great UofL DC who recently got demoted by his good friend, Stephens got on the train.

I'm not a star gazer, but I can tell you a three star in Florida is like a 4 or 5 star in Kentucky. There's just an abundance of talent down there. Honestly, I think his frame is what's preventing him from actually being rated higher. He's kind of tall and skinny. That's an easy fix, however.

Reactions: gocds
Try to look at it this way. Stephens visited the campus in July and was offered a scholarship August 1st. He's been sitting on all of his 18 offers, with others likely to follow. Then he sees Louisville's hot start and the buzz that's around the program. He sits no more. To paraphrase a once great UofL DC who recently got demoted by his good friend, Stephens got on the train.

I'm not a star gazer, but I can tell you a three star in Florida is like a 4 or 5 star in Kentucky. There's just an abundance of talent down there. Honestly, I think his frame is what's preventing him from actually being rated higher. He's kind of tall and skinny. That's an easy fix, however.

Amen brother. Keep on preachin'. These kids in the south (FL, GA, AL, MS) play football virtually 12 months out of the year. They get started at earlier ages and are coached by folks that have been around football all of their lives. Yes, Ohio and PA have good players but you can rest assured that the really good players are NOT headed to lessington. There are just too many places for those kids to look at other than uahkay like tOSU, Pitt, Penn State, Mich, Mich State and on and on and on. Yes, we've had success with kids from the Cincy area (P. Brown, Eric Woods, etc) but we are very selective with those kids up there. I'll continue to take kids from the deep southern states and continue to grow our program. With success we will pick up an occasional 4 or 5 star kid but our foundation will be built with 3 star guys.

jackson was not a 4 star anywhere until florida offered.
scout and espn had him as a 2 star until florida offered.
stars dont mean squat.

I rather have a coach fill his areas of need like Petrino does. and evaluate his team.

elvis dumerville was a 2 star so I guess the piss and vinegar cards dont want elvis dumerville either

Reactions: wilkie01
stars dont mean squat.

I rather have a coach fill his areas of need like Petrino does. and evaluate his team.

elvis dumerville was a 2 star so I guess the piss and vinegar cards dont want elvis dumerville either

Elvis Dumervil was never a 2 star. He was a 4 star until he switched his commitment from Florida to Louisville. Only after he switched his commitment did he go from a 4 star down to a 3 star.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/39726

Reactions: American Male
The guy that half our fans wanna crucify after Saturday's loss--James Quick--was a five-star.

Just saying...

I'm sorry, but this notion that star rating don't mean squat is silly. Of course it matters and how many great recruits you sign will reflect this. Alabama and Ohio State don't stay in the top 5 every year with a bunch of 3 star guys with a handful of 4 and 5 stars. Right now if the Cards got commitments from five 4 star linemen all Cards fans would be pumped.

You can always make a example of some overachiever or underachiever but the majority of the star players in college are 4 and 5 star recruits. And you have to realize there are different ratings from different outlets. Lamar Jackson was a 4 star from Rivals when he committed to Louisville but he may have been a 3 star some other place. Most of the Cards best players in recent history were 3 stars. Eric Wood was a consensus two star who proved that was wrong in his rookie year but that is a rarity.

Charlie Strong recruited a bunch of 4 star guys who helped put us where we're at. Dom Brown and Michaelee Harris in 2010. Andrew Johnson, Eli Rogers, Gerod Holliman, and Teddy Bridgewater in 2011. Keith Brown in 2012. James Hearns, James Quick and Stacy Thomas in 2013.

Petrino didn't sign any his first year in 2014. But in 2015 he got Lamar Jackson and Devonta Peete and in 2016 he signed Dez Fitzpatrick, Juwon Pass, and Chris Taylor Yamanoha. He has two commitments for 2017 Justin Marshall and Corey Reed. Can you imagine what a class with double digit 4 star recruits? I don't know a Cards fans who wouldn't be excited with something like that.

The guy that half our fans wanna crucify after Saturday's loss--James Quick--was a five-star.

Just saying...
According to rivals, he was a 4 star. If you look at the history of Cards commitments on this rivals site, the Cards have had only one 5 star recruit. Woodny Turenne, a juco safety in 2007.

Yes you are wrong...thank God that P does not evaluate by stars... look at how that has worked out for Florida State etc... Like to get stars ...not that important if ego comes with it...

Elvis Dumervil was never a 2 star. He was a 4 star until he switched his commitment from Florida to Louisville. Only after he switched his commitment did he go from a 4 star down to a 3 star.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/39726
I think your reply ended the discussion on the ridiculous star system with your example. If he would have signed with Bammar he would have been a 5 star.

Lamar is not to shabby for a lowly 3 star player. I am all for a roster of 3 star Lamar Jacksons[/QUOTE]

According to rivals, he was a 4 star. If you look at the history of Cards commitments on this rivals site, the Cards have had only one 5 star recruit. Woodny Turenne, a juco safety in 2007.
Quick was a Rivals rating 6.0, or one-tenth below their highest rating.

Besides, you just gave us another example quoting Turenne. Thankfully, we haven't tried to build our football program on a foundation of those guys.

Trust the coaches. They're not paid huge salaries for nothing...

Yes you are wrong...thank God that P does not evaluate by stars... look at how that has worked out for Florida State etc... Like to get stars ...not that important if ego comes with it...

Yeah, FSU just won their second or third National Championship a few years ago. Made the playoffs two years ago. Must really suck to be them....................................................

Reactions: GoldCard
Far too many folks put far too much stock in the so called "star" system. Just ask yourself if every so called "star voter" actually saw these kids play. Or actually realize what kind of talent they played with and against. Or actually talked with the kid, their coaches or their parents/family to see what kind of heart and mind he had. Yes, a lot of times it is obvious that a HS player has enough talent to realize that he deserves a high spot in the star rating system, i.e. Lamar Jackson. But I'm here to tell you that the majority of those kids are not correctly evaluated. Why else would UofL have so much success with 3 (and even 2 star) star athletes. Of course coaching absolutely needs to be considered and we're very fortunate to have a staff that actually does coach kids up. The perfect example is this past Saturday night where Clemson has all of those highly rated players and our kids went toe to toe and head to head and heart to heart with them. Yeah that's right our little 'ole 2 and 3 star guys showed what they were made of. If it's up to me I'll take our kids everyday. Please don't place me in the group that is disappointed in any 3 star kid from Florida that wants to be a part of our football family.

Actually I do understand some folks love of the "star system" as it does have some validity as to how good a kid is coming out of HS. But how can anyone argue with our success over the past years with Charlie and Bobby. Both of those staffs proved that they can win with the "stars" we recruited by coaching them up. Sure I'd like it if we could get some higher rated guys so they could be even coached up even higher, but that's the only reason. Yeah, I do think our continued success will result in higher rated recruiting classes and I have no problem with that . . . at all.

stars dont mean squat.

Cherry picking a couple of random players here or there is absolutely no way to prove or disprove any trend at all. There are THOUSANDS of HS players entering college every year. From a mathematical and logical perspective, this is the dumbest attempt at a point or argument ever.

Roughly 2,000 division I high school seniors per year but hey, guess what, ten years ago there was this ONE player who was rated this and played like that so we can obviously conclude this based off this one guy from 2002. There's been well over ten thousand incoming players since 2002 but since Dumervil was rated this coming out of high school and played like that we can definitely make a concrete determination from this OVERFLOW of data. Brilliant math, logic and probability evaluation there.

Cherry picking a couple of random players here or there is absolutely no way to prove or disprove any trend at all. There are THOUSANDS of HS players entering college every year. From a mathematical and logical perspective, this is the dumbest attempt at a point or argument ever.

Roughly 2,000 division I high school seniors per year but hey, guess what, ten years ago there was this ONE player who was rated this and played like that so we can obviously conclude this based off this one guy from 2002. There's been well over ten thousand incoming players since 2002 but since Dumervil was rated this coming out of high school and played like that we can definitely make a concrete determination from this OVERFLOW of data. Brilliant math, logic and probability evaluation there.

Not trying to be adversarial, but I like the way our staff evaluates playersand does not simply offer a kid because the kid is a 5 star. Not all highly rated players are worthy of their status, and not all lowly rated players are substandard. I hope you understand that, as I understand your desire for higher rated players.

Just saying...

Really? You're just saying, saying what?

Just like the Dumervil guy from above. You pick out ONE player from ONE class when there are a couple of THOUSAND prospects EVERY YEAR and you act as if you've used this "landslide" of data and mathematical information to try and make some non existent point by analyzing one player signed in 2013. There's been roughly TEN THOUSAND incoming players in college football from his class until now. That's wonderful logic, math and law of probability evaluation there.

We can definitely draw clear conclusions by evaluation one player out of ten thousand.

Are you a mathematics or logic professor?

some players earn a rating simply because of a certain school being after them, and some 5 star players have reached their potential already. A lot of 3 star players are still developing and can be shaped into great college players. Not saying 5 stars can not, but I believe it is more 3 star players in the NFL than 5 star players.

Not trying to be adversarial, but I like the way our staff evaluates playersand does not simply offer a kid because the kid is a 5 star. Not all highly rated players are worthy of their status, and not all lowly rated players are substandard. I hope you understand that, as I understand your desire for higher rated players.

Louisville offers a lot of the four and five star types. They just don't land them. That being said, I think that all changes soon. UL is a media darling, Petrino runs a wide open offense, they keep trotting out cutting edge unis, and most importantly, the facility upgrades are looking to boost Louisville to elite level in that department.
If I had to call it, I would say UL will start bring in top 25 classes starting next year.

Louisville offers a lot of the four and five star types. They just don't land them. That being said, I think that all changes soon. UL is a media darling, Petrino runs a wide open offense, they keep trotting out cutting edge unis, and most importantly, the facility upgrades are looking to boost Louisville to elite level in that department.
If I had to call it, I would say UL will start bring in top 25 classes starting next year.
when that happens we will be a dynasty.

some players earn a rating simply because of a certain school being after them, and some 5 star players have reached their potential already. A lot of 3 star players are still developing and can be shaped into great college players. Not saying 5 stars can not, but I believe it is more 3 star players in the NFL than 5 star players.

You say that as if the number of 3-star players and 5-star players are equal, there are vastly more 3-star ranked kids than 5-star ranked kids so it is basic probability that more 3-stars will make the NFL. Even if every single 5-star player made the NFL (100%) you'd not even have enough players to fill out the rosters.

Reactions: Morgantown Card
Can't say that I agree on that. Look at the teams that are ALWAYS at the top. Bama, Ohio State, Clemson, FSU, etc.

The one thing they all have in common is rosters loaded with 4/5 star players. Yes, some under rated players bust out big time in college, and some high rated ones flop. But by in large, the rankings bear out to the perennial contenders.

It's not a coincidence.

I am with Kratz. No, stars don't mean "everything" but they certainly mean something. Look at the Top 25 and compare that with the schools that consistently recruit Top 25. They are directionally in line.

I'm not willing to do the analysis (where is CardGame when you need him? lol), but if you look at a weighted average of the Top 25 classes over the last 10 years, and compared that to the weighted average of the Top 25 finishes over the last 10 years, I betcha they would be even more in line.

The Cards are still "new money" to this Top 10 stuff. A few years of this, and we'll see the recruiting rankings rise, more 4 & 5 stars, etc.

when that happens we will be a dynasty.

The only real obstacle I see for Louisville becoming elite in terms of recruiting is geography.

Clemson came from high/middle of the road status to title contender (consistently over the last 5 years) because they recruit top Florida and Georgia (Watson) 4/5 stars well.

But the thing that puts them over the top is that their home turf, the Carolinas, are very fertile with talent (Watson, Feaster, Tank, Lawrence, Williams) so they have a nice base.

Louisville does ok now in GA and FL and I wouldn't be surprised if they do even better the next few years and start pulling the 4 stars they've missed on in the past. But Kentucky is pretty bare boned when it comes to P5 prospects. I really hope Louisville makes the playoffs this year and shifts the culture from basketball to football, at least in Jeffco. I see so many kids playing basketball over football down here because that's the culture. There are too many 6'0" point guards that should be playing WR and DB, 6'4" PF that should be playing TE and DE.

I would love to see the culture swing from hoops to football in KY because I think there will be an uptick in pee-wee and Middle school football participation, which will lead to more skilled players in HS, and ultimately better local recruits overall in the state.
Not saying that is going to happen over night, but if Louisville can ride this wave for 3 or four years I think we will start to see results.

Reactions: Mike'sMarbles
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT