ADVERTISEMENT

Am I wrong in feeling this?

And it was like the second time we've beaten FSU in how many attempts? They man handled us previous two games. Won a National Championship and made the playoffs another time. Don't base the whole of both programs on one game. I was at the FSU game this year and it was the perfect storm. But we won't do it every year. 0-3 against Clemson since joining the ACC. Is Dabo just better than Bobby, or did talent and talented depth play into it?

Don't recall basing anything on an entire game. That's all you. However, it was a real nice data point that points to the real point > Recruit rankings are at least in part based on who recruited a kid. And at some point, we benefit from that instead of being penalized for it.

was a 2 star before florida offered.

glad we can find under rated players that are far and above their star rating.

Point is the ratings systems are trash. purely subjective, and nothing beats a coach evaluating players and selecting who fits the system after evaluating them as compared to selecting kids because of a star rating.

Reactions: Cue Card
Not to mention, we would have been the villain daring to offer the kid a scholly starting in 2018...

:rolleyes:

Star gazers (me not being one of them) rejoice. Two star commit, Taddarrius Patterson, is now, well, a de-commit. It's one of those things that makes recruiting uncomfortable at times, but making room.
I take it as making room as well, he may not be the last to "decommit"

Reactions: zipp
The only real obstacle I see for Louisville becoming elite in terms of recruiting is geography.

Clemson came from high/middle of the road status to title contender (consistently over the last 5 years) because they recruit top Florida and Georgia (Watson) 4/5 stars well.

But the thing that puts them over the top is that their home turf, the Carolinas, are very fertile with talent (Watson, Feaster, Tank, Lawrence, Williams) so they have a nice base.

Louisville does ok now in GA and FL and I wouldn't be surprised if they do even better the next few years and start pulling the 4 stars they've missed on in the past. But Kentucky is pretty bare boned when it comes to P5 prospects. I really hope Louisville makes the playoffs this year and shifts the culture from basketball to football, at least in Jeffco. I see so many kids playing basketball over football down here because that's the culture. There are too many 6'0" point guards that should be playing WR and DB, 6'4" PF that should be playing TE and DE.

I would love to see the culture swing from hoops to football in KY because I think there will be an uptick in pee-wee and Middle school football participation, which will lead to more skilled players in HS, and ultimately better local recruits overall in the state.
Not saying that is going to happen over night, but if Louisville can ride this wave for 3 or four years I think we will start to see results.
I like the thought but it's not going to happen. I'm afraid it will be just the opposite. :(

Making room because a kid sees the writing on the wall is ok with me.

The only thing that bothers me is when a scholly is pulled at the last minute to make room for a better player. Last time Petrino was here he pulled a scholly from Brad Durham to make room for a better player at the last minute. That never sat well with me.

You offer a kid and he commits, you honor it. Now if the kid backs out, OK. There's plenty more that want to come, or you can save the scholly for a better player next season.

28, 28, 10, 17, 22 average rounded to whole numbers national recruiting rankings.

Those classes won undefeated back to back national championships and a missed field goal from an undefeated three peat - objectively average recruiting rankings but produced on the field. I would take that result. Note also that the 28 rank at the start of that list had 48 walk-on players in the class. I will leave it to the researchers to figure out what team this was.

Note Cards national 5 year average recruiting rank 39 - so these coaches can coach - something reflected in that other teams results, we can only hope that coaching results trend continues.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT