ADVERTISEMENT

According to what a certain fan base is indirectly saying

That mythical national championship that they claim is from the early 50's, when they upset top ranked Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl. They didn't even win the SEC that year, losing to Tennessee. The AP poll left Oklahoma at #1, despite the loss, with Tennessee #2, and UK ranked #7. Nobody, at the time, ranked UK at number one. I guess the pollsters thought Oklahoma was disinterested...

Joker's recruits are mostly to blame for last years losses. Between Stoops and The High Peformance program, wins improved 150%. We also are not blind and know we were a blown call and dropped ball from 7 wins and a probable 8th in a bowl game.
Btw, I lol at being called a ul fan...i am BIG BLUE ALL THE WAY

When Joker was coaching, I seem to recall a lot of talk about the "recruiting stars". As a matter fact a lot smack was being spread around in regards to out recruiting UofL. So what happened?

If the "high performance" program was worth its weight in salt, why did it not improve ALL players? Or does it have a bias against Joker recruits?

Also, dropping schools off your schedule like WKU and picking up UT-Martin doesn't translate into improvement either. It just means you couldn't beat a team so you went out and scheduled one you could beat.

Thus the real reason for "improvement". Beat the teams on your schedule that you normally loose to and then you can start to look for improvement before you claim it exists.

That mythical national championship that they claim is from the early 50's, when they upset top ranked Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl. They didn't even win the SEC that year, losing to Tennessee. The AP poll left Oklahoma at #1, despite the loss, with Tennessee #2, and UK ranked #7. Nobody, at the time, ranked UK at number one. I guess the pollsters thought Oklahoma was disinterested...

The final polls at the time were released before the bowl games.

The 1950 season had Oklahoma, Tennessee and Kentucky go 11-1. Tennessee beat Kentucky during the season and won their bowl game. All of the pollsters, at the time, concluded that either Tennessee or Oklahoma was the National Champ. It wasn't until 40 years later that Sagarin ranked UK number one in a computer ranking. That is not a National Championship, and claiming one is typical of the arrogance of the fan base. Of course, that is the same fan base that celebrates three basketball titles, of that era, won by players being paid by gangsters to fix point spreads. Amazing when posters on the Lair keep calling us cheaters...

I don't know any UK fan that claims a football title, it's a neat tidbit to history.
As for the hoops titles, well those were NCAA championships that were won on the court.

Last time I checked there is only one team in the state is a charter member of the SEC and owns a national championship. You have never led the overall series......ever.
These facts, combined with UK being the large state university, would cause fans of the smaller regional schools to envy us. We are not obnoxius, we are indifferent to your school. This may come as a suprise but a majority of BBN consider UT our true football rival. It is a true border rivalry withen the SEC.

Wow!!! Talk about someone helping to make your point!

After last nights under the lights practice, I think all questions have been answered on Stoops coaching ability.
All involved compared it to transciendent religious experience. The state police report hits could be heard as far 15 miles away.
This is not Jokers team anymore...and you will get a front row seat when we beat you as our warmup to the SEC championship game!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Im not here to make you laugh. I am here to give you fair warning. That is is what is different now, UK football is not here to make you laugh anymore because we are taking it serious...very serious!

I don't know any UK fan that claims a football title, it's a neat tidbit to history.
As for the hoops titles, well those were NCAA championships that were won on the court.
Bill - Those championships were won on the court, but the players were proven to be getting paid by gangsters. In this day, the NCAA would declare those players ineligible and vacate the wins. They didn't have that kind of clout back then. It was the most egregious cheating ever done, and the banners and the players names are proudly hanging in Rupp Arena today.

Bill - Those championships were won on the court, but the players were proven to be getting paid by gangsters. In this day, the NCAA would declare those players ineligible and vacate the wins. They didn't have that kind of clout back then. It was the most egregious cheating ever done, and the banners and the players names are proudly hanging in Rupp Arena today.

No they wouldn't, look at the Recent Syracuse ruling. Or what's going on at UNC, or USC keeping the title.

It was the most egregious because of how many teams were involved, not because of UK.

I'm not trying to diminish what happened, but no one cares about it now. The players paid the price for their actions.

UK?............................UK?

Talk smack in basketball. That's the sport you're good at. UK has no reason to talk any smack in football. Seriously, they haven't had a winning SEC record in 40 years. That's 40 years. They have lost 28 in a row to UF, 30 out of 31 to UT, they've lost 13 out of 21 to Louisville. UK is in the SEC, they've been there for 100 years and squatted away their chance to be a football school. While UT, UA, UF, UGA, Tide have built up football traditions they chose not to but keep talking SEC crap to us. UK is a basketball school. Why they want to talk football smack is just bizarre.

Many keep talking to UofL fans like we are a Div.2 level school like they were in 1984. They keep talking like UofL is beneath them in football, like UofL isn't on UK's level. Keep in mind they're talking football...............not basketball, football. Louisville's won 13 against them, we've built a great stadium, have great facilities, they're in a P5 league, they've beaten Alabama, Florida, WVU, Miami (3), Florida St., Texas, Michigan St (2), Arizona St (2), Oregon St, Boise St., BYU and UK 13 times in the last 25 years but they act like we are a division 2 level school who's under uk....................in football mind you. Football. They've lost 28 in a row to Florida and UofL just dominated them. They keep acting like we are under them and they act as if UofL isn't a legit division I school who has a good football program.

Keep in mind they aren't talking about what a force they are in basketball........this is football. A few years back UofL was a division II level school in a baseball stadium (37,000) with lousy facilities, a tiny weight room, without a conference and they've lost 13 to us and have legit facilities and league and they still act like they are the measuring stick in football.

They should talk in basketball and wait to do something in football before talking anything. They should admire what Louisville has done. They'll never give UofL any praise. They still act like we are beneath them, as if it is 1975.

Reactions: LockdownCard
No they wouldn't, look at the Recent Syracuse ruling. Or what's going on at UNC, or USC keeping the title.

It was the most egregious because of how many teams were involved, not because of UK.

I'm not trying to diminish what happened, but no one cares about it now. The players paid the price for their actions.
UK got the Death Penalty. UK players - arguably perhaps the best of all time - were banned from the sport itself.

If your apology cinsiders Syracuse somehow more egregious than that leveled at Rupp and UK by the judge in the gambling trial, I worry badly for your ability to tie your shoes.

UK got the Death Penalty. UK players - arguably perhaps the best of all time - were banned from the sport itself.

If your apology cinsiders Syracuse somehow more egregious than that leveled at Rupp and UK by the judge in the gambling trial, I worry badly for your ability to tie your shoes.

UK did not get the death penalty. The basketball program was not disbanded.

That's why I said the players paid the price, they were no longer allowed to play professional ball.

The poster said UK's championships would've been vacated if it were today.

Looking at recent decisions I don't believe that.
And players taking money to shave points when the school or coach had no idea is not as bad as institutional cheating by a college.
In my mind what UK got busted for in the 80's was far worse than players taking money to shave points in games they were winning.

I'll try to explain it for you, Bill. It's like what happened to Memphis, or UMass. The team played with ineligible players. They were ineligible because they were not amateurs, being paid to play by gangsters. Most of the starters were not amateurs. Their wins would be vacated, like Memphis, like UMass. Let's move on. Ancient history and ot football. Sorry I brought it up.

That's why I said the players paid the price, they were no longer allowed to play professional ball.

And players taking money to shave points when the school or coach had no idea is not as bad as institutional cheating by a college.
In my mind what UK got busted for in the 80's was far worse than players taking money to shave points in games they were winning.
LOL, Judge Saul Streit didn't mince words, did he? Do you think Cleveland State should worry if this were somehow a judge's unbiased opinion today?

Judge Saul Streit summed up Kentucky's crimes in this blast: "I found covert subsidization of players, ruthless exploitation of athletes, cribbing at examinations, 'illegal' recruiting, a reckless disregard of the physical welfare, matriculation of unqualified students, demoralization of the athletes by the coach, alumni, and townspeople and the flagrant abuse of the athletic scholarship."

But it's OK. The program didn't get the death penalty so who cares??

I don't sit around diminishing facts no. I accept facts when they are presented.

I do bust chops on people that post opinions as if they are fact though. Got to give you credit, your ribs are pretty sore from it all but you keep takin' the licks.

What facts have I diminished? Something from almost 75 years ago?
I'm sorry I don't get riled up about it, the school and the players paid the price, the NCAA didn't remove the titles. There isn't a thing either of us can do about it now.

I accept the facts, I just have a different viewpoint. I don't think you can just compartmentalize arrests and say "well, UK is obviously out of control".

I happen to think 2 guys beating the crap out of a team mate in the locker room, assaulting a police officer and trafficking drugs are more serious than having an air soft gun on campus or public intoxication.
I guarantee that players on both teams had players under age drink this past weekend. If they had been caught they would've been arrested, is that a sign of lack of coaching discipline or just what college kids do?

What facts have I diminished? Something from almost 75 years ago?
I'm sorry I don't get riled up about it, the school and the players paid the price, the NCAA didn't remove the titles. There isn't a thing either of us can do about it now.

I accept the facts, I just have a different viewpoint. I don't think you can just compartmentalize arrests and say "well, UK is obviously out of control".

I happen to think 2 guys beating the crap out of a team mate in the locker room, assaulting a police officer and trafficking drugs are more serious than having an air soft gun on campus or public intoxication.
I guarantee that players on both teams had players under age drink this past weekend. If they had been caught they would've been arrested, is that a sign of lack of coaching discipline or just what college kids do?

Ahh yes here he comes. Driving a car over the speed limit while hammered jeopardizing a number of innocent lives trumps the waste of space you've provided above.

Your "everybody does it" stance and "______is much worse than _____" POVs are examples of you diminishing facts.

It is rather hliarious you open your empty post above asking how you diminish facts and then 30 words later there are you diminishing facts over and over.

You're a broken record Bill. I'm starting to go down the same road though. I've told you this a # of times in these threads and it doesn't seem to stop you from saying the same garbage over and over and over and over and over and over.

Great summer man!

i guess your way of deflecting is to just turn it around on me, that's fine.
Again, those are the facts my man. So you're saying public intoxication is on the same level of drug trafficking?

And you're right drunk driving is a serious issue no doubt. And he did endanger people's lives, no disputing that. Lowery should've been suspended a few games, at one point not long ago a player would get kicked off the teams if they got a DUI. That was after the wreck that killed the player.

UofK was the FIRST to receive the death penalty! Meaning they cannot compete in that sport.

If they didn't get the death penalty then tell me what their record was for the 1953 season.

Reactions: American Male
I've always found it fascinating that when comparing head to head with UK UL fans typically present the stats with selective timelines to fit the argument. UK's basketball titles before the 3 point line don't count and the only Governor's cup games that count were the ones after the series renewed.

So many in this thread are priding themselves for their "humbleness" then post with a arrogant holier than thou jab at UK. I realize that UL has had more success than UK in football but your program hasn't been vastly superior to ours or you would've pounded us in the dirt head to head. You've played an easier schedule the entire existence of your program so you have a lot more wins. If you'd given UK your schedule the results would've been pretty similar. Much more similar than anyone here would be willing to admit

UofK was the FIRST to receive the death penalty! Meaning they cannot compete in that sport.

If they didn't get the death penalty then tell me what their record was for the 1953 season.

There were 7 teams involved, of which CCNY, the NCAA and NIT champ of the year and LIU were the most involved and hardest hit. CCNY was hit so hard they eventually dropped to DII.

The death penalty is when the whole program is essentially blown up.

I've always found it fascinating that when comparing head to head with UK UL fans typically present the stats with selective timelines to fit the argument. UK's basketball titles before the 3 point line don't count and the only Governor's cup games that count were the ones after the series renewed.

So many in this thread are priding themselves for their "humbleness" then post with a arrogant holier than thou jab at UK. I realize that UL has had more success than UK in football but your program hasn't been vastly superior to ours or you would've pounded us in the dirt head to head. You've played an easier schedule the entire existence of your program so you have a lot more wins. If you'd given UK your schedule the results would've been pretty similar. Much more similar than anyone here would be willing to admit

All arguments falling on "if" are mythical and weak perspectives. But since you like weak argument then I'd assume your "if" theory applies to what would happen to UK basketball's win totals "if" they didn't play in a mediocre basketball league, right?

Amirite?

Reactions: American Male
I realize that UL has had more success than UK in football but your program hasn't been vastly superior to ours or you would've pounded us in the dirt head to head.

I wouldn't say UofL has been vastly superior, those are strong words.

But there's more that goes into program evaluation than simply H2H records.

Things like, where you are at to start and end the year are good barometers, and then all the things that happen to inbetween help mold the entire point of view.

It's also hard to find applicable time frames to the action going on today. Nobody talks about the Ivy League football titles back in the day, they just aren't applicable. It's a tricky thing to really evaluate, meaningful moments in time.

It sounds like you do have a grasp on where UK's stood during this era, but you're also struggling just a little to give credit to Louisville's football program's successes, looking to point to asterisks and things like that.

How many top 25s has Louisville finished in since the last time UK has finished in one? I know, polls mean nothing, when you're never in them.

You've played an easier schedule the entire existence of your program so you have a lot more wins. If you'd given UK your schedule the results would've been pretty similar. Much more similar than anyone here would be willing to admit

This implies UK's schedule is the only thing holding them back from the kind of success Louisville has enjoyed since the days of Howard. I just can't buy into that hypothesis. First as IPartied pointed out, it's a big "if". I'm not Phillip K. Dick writing the alternate history of what if Hitler developed the Bomb first.

I will say, with the top to bottom, over the top ineptitude of the UK program over the decades, I firmly believe (again, no proof here) UK would have lost many more games going against Louisville's schedule. The idea of UK competing with the West Virginia team Louisville had to deal with in the Big East or the Southern Miss team from C-USA is absurd.

Last edited:
Louisville deserves props, they have come along way in a relatively short time frame. I hope and believe under the right coach UK can head that way as well.
Louisville's schedule in the past wasn't as difficult as UK's on a week to week basis, but credit to UofL they made the most of it and kept moving forward.
Southern Miss was a good football program, and ahead of UofL at one time, but they were content where they were...and they're still there only now they're not the team they were.

I like to come on here to gig you guys, but don't take that as disrespect.

All arguments falling on "if" are mythical and weak perspectives. But since you like weak argument then I'd assume your "if" theory applies to what would happen to UK basketball's win totals "if" they didn't play in a mediocre basketball league, right?

Amirite?

Yeah I agree it's common sense. Play a tough schedule and you're bound to lose more games. UK has always had an extremely tall mountain to climb because of the demographics of Kentucky and the rest of the southeast. The SEC schools are in talent rich states while Kentucky is almost void of D1 talent

Yeah I agree it's common sense. Play a tough schedule and you're bound to lose more games. UK has always had an extremely tall mountain to climb because of the demographics of Kentucky and the rest of the southeast. The SEC schools are in talent rich states while Kentucky is almost void of D1 talent

It isn't about losing games. Most years you roll over like whipped dogs. 28 in a row to one team. 1-29 against your "real rival." Quitting games at halftime. Being Vandy's whipping boy for 3 years. 3rd best team in your own state. Yeah that screams big time SEC program. A program has to try and be that awful for over 60 years. Yet you clowns, in your alternate universe, continue to puff your chest out and claim that we're the inferior program, just cause.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT