ADVERTISEMENT

A heartfelt thank you to Tom Jurich

Louisvillian

6000+
Oct 27, 2006
Since Tom is more of a football guy this should be on the other board but this seems to be where our fans are focused now.

I just want to thank the guy who showed up here 20 years ago from Colorado St and showed this community that it was ok to dream big but more importantly to ask, why not here? Tom not only knew it was possible after meeting with the loyal Cardinal fan base, he made it his mission to see that we didn’t take a back seat to any other athletic program in this state but also nationally.

To see reality, roll back your memory tape to 1997. The splendid Chris Redman running the option in the cold driving rain at Cincinnati on a 1-9 Ron Cooper coached UofL team. Legendary Denny Crum winding down with a 12-20 basketball team and virtually every other sport non existent. Good times huh?

For every Card fan that is applauding this move, think about your hypocritical self basking in all the glory while drinking a beer on a warm June day at the beautiful Jim Patterson Stadium watching the Cards wrapping up another trip to Omaha. Or soaking up the atmosphere of another huge football game at PJCS. Or going crazy at any of the can’t miss basketball games in the Big East and ACC. Soccer, Women’s Basketball....

We all wanted what Tom delivered but very few remotely thought it was possible. I see people such as A-hat Rick Bozich claiming that this is the right move because no one person is above the Louisville Athletics. I challenge that by saying Tom was Mr UofL because he had the vision and the guts to make it happen and if you didn’t love UofL, you were not likely carry much weight with him. GOOD.

Until someone shows me why this splendid AD deserves to be let go other than being wary of enemies in a state and city full of them and being overly loyal to a flawed basketball coach who previously had been a stickler on running overachieving but NCAA compliant programs, I’ll just bask in the incredible 20 year run of Cardinal Athletics.

Thanks TJ. You deserved much better.

Since Tom is more of a football guy this should be on the other board but this seems to be where our fans are focused now.

I just want to thank the guy who showed up here 20 years ago from Colorado St and showed this community that it was ok to dream big but more importantly to ask, why not here? Tom not only knew it was possible after meeting with the loyal Cardinal fan base, he made it his mission to see that we didn’t take a back seat to any other athletic program in this state but also nationally.

To see reality, roll back your memory tape to 1997. The splendid Chris Redman running the option in the cold driving rain at Cincinnati on a 1-9 Ron Cooper coached UofL team. Legendary Denny Crum winding down with a 12-20 basketball team and virtually every other sport non existent. Good times huh?

For every Card fan that is applauding this move, think about your hypocritical self basking in all the glory while drinking a beer on a warm June day at the beautiful Jim Patterson Stadium watching the Cards wrapping up another trip to Omaha. Or soaking up the atmosphere of another huge football game at PJCS. Or going crazy at any of the can’t miss basketball games in the Big East and ACC. Soccer, Women’s Basketball....

We all wanted what Tom delivered but very few remotely thought it was possible. I see people such as A-hat Rick Bozich claiming that this is the right move because no one person is above the Louisville Athletics. I challenge that by saying Tom was Mr UofL because he had the vision and the guts to make it happen and if you didn’t love UofL, you were not likely carry much weight with him. GOOD.

Until someone shows me why this splendid AD deserves to be let go other than being wary of enemies in a state and city full of them and being overly loyal to a flawed basketball coach who previously had been a stickler on running overachieving but NCAA compliant programs, I’ll just bask in the incredible 20 year run of Cardinal Athletics.

Great post! What pisses me off the most is he did not deserve this after all he did for UofL. Those on the BOT make me sick!

Very few get to go out the way that they want, regardless of their accomplishments. Tom's fatal flaw was his allegiance to Rick and it cost him his job. Keep Tom, Fire Tom, both have their arguments but the reality is I don't see how Tom could work with this president, this board, this environment. It became an impossible situation.

Title IX, high GPA, all sports are competitive, ACC.....we all can be angry over this situation, but just remember where things would be without him ( which is C-USA battles with Middle Tennessee State in from of 35k people).

Very few get to go out the way that they want, regardless of their accomplishments. Tom's fatal flaw was his allegiance to Rick and it cost him his job. Keep Tom, Fire Tom, both have their arguments but the reality is I don't see how Tom could work with this president, this board, this environment. It became an impossible situation.

Title IX, high GPA, all sports are competitive, ACC.....we all can be angry over this situation, but just remember where things would be without him ( which is C-USA battles with Middle Tennessee State in from of 35k people).

I have to disagree. His fatal flaw was the vendetta the Pizza Mam had, the deal he made with the Yum Center, the fact Postel didn’t care for him, and that ego maniac David Grissom. Don’t be fooled that’s why he’s gone. And yesterday when Postel refused to take questions, well that brings into question whether the board had cause. Three members voted to keep him. Bet they don’t have cause or I’m sure it would have been 13 voting to remove him. No no this was personal.

Now we have to hope the momentum continues. Although Tyra seems nice and business savvy, I’m not sure he has the experience or connections to get the job done. So far he seems to be handling personal matters correctly, but can he fined the quality coaches when we need them? Can he raise the money? Not sure about coaches I’m pretty sure he’ll be able to raise funds. And will he think outside the box/dream big like Tom. That remains to be seen. Let’s hope. I’ll support him until he gives me reason not too.

Well said Louisvillian. I felt compelled to highlight in bold and RED your last sentence. TJ did great things for the ULAD and his accomplishments have been unmatched by anyone else in the ULAD history. He wasn't perfect (none of us are), but we're going to find out the hard way just how good he really was at his job. We're in for some real rough years moving forward. I'll still be a UofL fan but I'm prepared for the worse.

I think ultimately that’s why they had to let him go because of his steadfast loyalty to CRP. If he changed his stance and wanted to work for this interim president and BOT, he would have been labeled a hypocrite, that is if they could work with Jurich. It seemed almost a package deal to me.

Lighters up for this post for sure. Tom didn't deserve this. In the days of employers treating employees like expandable commodities how dare a man like Judith dare to stick by one of his employees. Tom might have really liked Pitino maybe he didn't, but I chose to believe that Jericho stuck by him because he believed he gave us the best chance to win.Right or wrong isn't it about winning games and championships in college athletics. And screw all these other programs acting like they are holier than thou.

I moved to Louisville after college a few months before Jurich was hired. Reflecting back, being able to witness his beginning then the transformation of athletics across the board due to his diligence, simply amazing. What he accomplished, the magnitude of it, I'm not sure it can be put into words. He was, simply, the best.

Reactions: BPGhost
I moved to Louisville after college a few months before Jurich was hired. Reflecting back, being able to witness his beginning then the transformation of athletics across the board due to his diligence, simply amazing. What he accomplished, the magnitude of it, I'm not sure it can be put into words. He was, simply, the best.[/QUO
Lighters up for this post for sure. Tom didn't deserve this. In the days of employers treating employees like expandable commodities how dare a man like Judith dare to stick by one of his employees. Tom might have really liked Pitino maybe he didn't, but I chose to believe that Jericho stuck by him because he believed he gave us the best chance to win.Right or wrong isn't it about winning games and championships in college athletics. And screw all these other programs acting like they are holier than thou.
He had a boss that told him to fire Pitino and he said no. Insubordnation and you get fired. From what I hear Jurich was a ass to a lot of people...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT