ADVERTISEMENT

30 for 30 on Coach Cow

Kentucky and Louisville both have Hall of Fame coaches and each has made multiple Final 4's and won a title in the last 6/7 years. The rivalry has never been better. I think other program are jealous of both of teams we put out year in and out (like Indiana) and have to watch our teams constantly be in the top 10. I do not think either fan base has anything to be jealous of over the other because times are great in both places.

Debate it if you'd like, though I doubt you'd like to buddy. I just don't understand how baseball players hit the summer circuit and have scouts/coaches all over them, but I never hear the connotations of "slimey summer ball culture" when there is probably worse things going on with those baseball daddies than any AAU basketball court. I have a friend that was a baseball prospect (went JUCO then D1) and he told me about the $100 handshakes he'd receive on visits all over the place. Johnny Football sells some autographs and he's just a kid trying to get by, no worries.

But why are basketball recruits looked at so differently. Why is so much emphasis placed on downgrading "AAU culture, wild out of control selfish basketball ruining the game" on basketball players but it seems Football and Baseball just does not get that same treatment. Is it because it involves young African-American males coming from low-income households who are trying to better themselves, and that "old-school" way of basketball is out the door? It seem to think so...
Lol - what a huge swing and a miss - pun intended. You don't know your ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to "summer baseball" and you just proved it to the board.

Take your made up anecdotes and low sports IQ back over to raftards where you belong.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deeva
Lol - what a huge swing and a miss - pun intended. You don't know your ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to "summer baseball" and you just proved it to the board.

Take your made up anecdotes and low sports IQ back over to raftards where you belong.
You in no way proved your point other than throwing curse words and insults. I'd like a more detailed "explanation" of some sorts other than just "I'm right and you're dumb"

You in no way proved your point other than throwing curse words and insults. I'd like a more detailed "explanation" of some sorts other than just "I'm right and you're dumb"

I'm going to make the simple statement that a UK fan making a claim of UK being the VICTIM of racial "undertones" is very likely to fall on deaf ears to UofL fans because most UofL fans feel our program has been the victim of outright racism at the hands of UK fans for many, many years. It's just not a narrative that's likely to garner any sympathy or compassion from a fan base that has experienced actual racist comments (to this day on the UK message boards) from members of the UK fan base. And before anybody on either side "goes there", yes, UofL fans do throw out "Appalachian/redneck" inspired stereotype comments regarding UK fans as well, so a UofL fan looking to discuss racism in sports on the UK boards would likely receive a less than warm response also. I would suggest you just drop the whole racism narrative on this board.

Debate it if you'd like, though I doubt you'd like to buddy. I just don't understand how baseball players hit the summer circuit and have scouts/coaches all over them, but I never hear the connotations of "slimey summer ball culture" when there is probably worse things going on with those baseball daddies than any AAU basketball court. I have a friend that was a baseball prospect (went JUCO then D1) and he told me about the $100 handshakes he'd receive on visits all over the place. Johnny Football sells some autographs and he's just a kid trying to get by, no worries.

But why are basketball recruits looked at so differently. Why is so much emphasis placed on downgrading "AAU culture, wild out of control selfish basketball ruining the game" on basketball players but it seems Football and Baseball just does not get that same treatment. Is it because it involves young African-American males coming from low-income households who are trying to better themselves, and that "old-school" way of basketball is out the door? It seem to think so...
College baseball players can't even typically get full scholarships unless they are an absolute stud. Also they have to stay 3 years if they go to school and those who are good enough go straight to pro ball. Same goes for football minus being able to go straight pro. The reason basketball is looked at so differently is because kids who have no business being in school, like Ben Simmons, are making a joke out of college. One and Done is the reason it's seen as slimy. Also Manziel was under a huge microscope with everyone wanting him to fail, because the guy was a spoiled punk, so I don't see where you're getting that whole bit. It's not about keeping down young black males. It's seen as slimy because the fact that these one and done kids should be allowed to go pro from the get go because many of them simply don't care about class and are wasting the scholarship money. That goes for whites, blacks, hispanics, whoever. The whole argument about race playing a role in the perception of one and done is smoke and mirrors IMO. It's more about socioeconomic status, the lack of interest in a college education, and the fact that many of these players should be allowed to go pro straight from high school. If people really cared about these kids, then you wouldn't exploit them for a year in college. They could make money right away in the pros.

What the hell are you blabbin about.
Ive watching AND following college basketball since 1984.
I know everything i need to know about calipari's vacated banners.

KR the uahkay fans are just expressing fear because espn (as sleazy as Calivacate) is shining light on a huge potential problem in lessington. Their day is coming and sooner rather than later OR Calivacate will be gone to the NBA where he belongs anyway. I'm predicting that he'll skate out of lessington free and clear just like he did at Memphus. And that's too bad.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Reactions: Cue Card and Deeva
College baseball players can't even typically get full scholarships unless they are an absolute stud. Also they have to stay 3 years if they go to school and those who are good enough go straight to pro ball.
Exactly right. That was my point with his ridiculous post - he made up some nonsense about things that NEVER occur in "summertime" baseball to create a false equivalency to support his claim that Sweaty cal's recruits are the victims of racism.

Let those kids not sign with uk - then they'll definitely be some racist stuff thrown out them by big hillbilly nation. The double standards employed by those fanatics goes beyond the pale - pun intended.

You completely made up that BS story about high level recruits in baseball. As was said by CC - things like $100 handshakes to influence a kid's college decision simply doesn't occur. For you to insinuate that they do in an attempt to support your larger silly claim, makes you either dumb or, a liar.

Based on that, I simply suggested that you head back to the yut boards where the traits of being dumb and lying are valued.

Reactions: Cue Card
You completely made up that BS story about high level recruits in baseball. As was said by CC - things like $100 handshakes to influence a kid's college decision simply doesn't occur. For you to insinuate that they do in an attempt to support your larger silly claim, makes you either dumb or, a liar.

Based on that, I simply suggested that you head back to the yut boards where the traits of being dumb and lying are valued.
Well I played summer baseball, maybe you never did but I know what goes on in those settings.

Heck, it's even worse how in baseball when super teams and free agents go to the best teams it is celebrated, but when a LeBron or KD does it they are villains because the black man did not do what the angry white fans though was best for their career.

Well I played summer baseball, maybe you never did but I know what goes on in those settings.

Heck, it's even worse how in baseball when super teams and free agents go to the best teams it is celebrated, but when a LeBron or KD does it they are villains because the black man did not do what the angry white fans though was best for their career.
You're diverting from the issue at hand. The guys UK and other OAD schools recruit like Ben Simmons should be allowed to go pro because that is better for their career than playing for a year in college. And again, players of other races are also being taken advantage of in the OAD system. People that have no interest in attending college shouldn't be forced to attend and miss out on a year of salary in the pros.

Reactions: gocds and JohnKBA
You're diverting from the issue at hand. The guys UK and other OAD schools recruit like Ben Simmons should be allowed to go pro because that is better for their career than playing for a year in college. And again, players of other races are also being taken advantage of in the OAD system. People that have no interest in attending college shouldn't be forced to attend and miss out on a year of salary in the pros.

That beef is with the NBA though, not Calipari or the NCAA. It is what it is. I think the system sucks but there's nothing that can be done about it. NBA owners want to protect their money and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
That beef is with the NBA though, not Calipari or the NCAA. It is what it is. I think the system sucks but there's nothing that can be done about it. NBA owners want to protect their money and I don't see that changing anytime soon.
I definitely agree with you there. Cal is simply playing the system and I will give him credit that he is in it to get the kids money.

Reactions: JohnKBA
What the hell are you blabbin about.
Ive watching AND following college basketball since 1984.
I know everything i need to know about calipari's vacated banners.
I disagree. You are very uninformed when it comes to both situations, that much is crystal clear.

Played summer and D1 college baseball and, know more than a few former UofL players and guys with multiple year MLB careers.

You're either a total poser who doesn't have a clue about what goes on or, someone who does but is lying to try and prove a ridiculous point.

As for your comparison between free agency in MLB and the NBA - well it's as dumb as your others. Free agents who leave their teams in baseball for better clubs receive the same sort of reaction from fans of all colors.

Strike Four...

I definitely agree with you there. Cal is simply playing the system and I will give him credit that he is in it to get the kids money.

Half of them go broke after their careers are over.

So half are set, what about the other half?

Not sure going 50/50 is helping them. Maybe it is. Just not sure.

Once they get the money, it's on them to take care of it. He gets more guys drafted in the first round than pretty much any other coach.

Once they get the money, it's on them to take care of it. He gets more guys drafted in the first round than pretty much any other coach.

Yep, they get the $. Historically, half lose the $, and lots of guys flame out in a real short period of time.

I just don't think getting guys drafted is as big of a deal as a lot of people think of it as being.

I know all about the lifelong dream etc. It's great for the guys that succeed.

Reactions: Cardinal Cash
Yep, they get the $. Historically, half lose the $, and lots of guys flame out in a real short period of time.

I just don't think getting guys drafted is as big of a deal as a lot of people think of it as being.

I know all about the lifelong dream etc. It's great for the guys that succeed.

Yeah, and according to Calivacate it's the best day in uahkay basketball history to get 3, 4 or 5 guys drafted out of the same freshman class after ONLY going to school for one semester. WOW that's gotta be real good for the graduation rates. Someday this is all going to come home to roost in lessington.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Reactions: uoflcardsfan

Totally incorrect statement. Half of those players don't go broke after their NBA career. Where did you get that?
Early flameouts? Who?
Even if what you say was actually true, which it's not, how is that on Cal? Is Pitino responsible for all of his player's personal finances once they make their money?

Totally incorrect statement. Half of those players don't go broke after their NBA career. Where did you get that?
Early flameouts? Who?

Within 5 yrs after retirement over half NBA players go broke. I'm not going to do a ton of research on the topic for you, the fact that you are strongly disagreeing shows how uninformed you are, which is not surprising - you are a terrible poster.

Here's one link from a study done not that long ago that supports my statement.

I don't expect you to understand, or consider seeing the point of view.

And nowhere in my posts did I blame Calipari for guys going broke. And I didn't say Cal's guys go broke. I just said half of NBA players go broke, because that's what they do.

Hopefully whatever job you have isn't too important.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tyson-hartnett/why-athletes-go-broke-and_b_6812864.html

Not one of my favorite 30 for 30's but I enjoyed it. I was pretty young at the time he was at UMass, so it was interesting to see them really go into that situation. Also enjoyed the commentary from Calhoun, who definitely doesn't like Cal.

Never heard about that tech he got against us in 92, for the whole coaches box thing. Even as a UK fan, that was an extremely bad call.

Also cool seeing him and Pitino go at it in 96. Best Kentucky basketball team of all time, maybe the best college team of all time.

Within 5 yrs after retirement over half NBA players go broke. I'm not going to do a ton of research on the topic for you, the fact that you are strongly disagreeing shows how uninformed you are, which is not surprising - you are a terrible poster.

Here's one link from a study done not that long ago that supports my statement.

I don't expect you to understand, or consider seeing the point of view.

And nowhere in my posts did I blame Calipari for guys going broke. And I didn't say Cal's guys go broke. I just said half of NBA players go broke, because that's what they do.

Hopefully whatever job you have isn't too important.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tyson-hartnett/why-athletes-go-broke-and_b_6812864.html
You're changing your tune now. You originally made it seem like the players were fraud's, now you're saying it's just the average NBA career span. Nice spin.
But I'm the horrible poster. Gotha.
Still, if I give you 10 million and you blow it, it's on you and it has no relevance to the actual topic at hand.

But I'm the horrible poster.

Agreed. We found common ground. I probably just typed over your head bub.

I've changed no tune - you just read on an early elementary grade level.

My point has been clear - somebody in the thread applauded Calipari for getting guys to the NBA and getting them paid - which actually IS part of the topic at hand because it's part of his legacy. I'm not saying it's a bad thing either champ.

I pointed out it's not happily ever after for all NBA players - half go broke.

I didn't call any player a fraud. I implied it's flawed to give a lot of credit to getting a guy to the NBA if half the guys in the NBA end up miserable later in life, and shortly later in life as well - since the NBA life expectancy is something like 4-6 years.

It's a simple concept, and it can be argued against for sure - but you can't keep up.

All you've done is steam in and say I was wrong about half going broke - of course you had no facts and you were wrong about that. And when the facts were given to you, you then coughed up another garbage post that has no substance.

You remain terrible. Like bad, real bad. Keep posting chimp. You're a good representation.

Played summer and D1 college baseball and, know more than a few former UofL players and guys with multiple year MLB careers.

You're either a total poser who doesn't have a clue about what goes on or, someone who does but is lying to try and prove a ridiculous point.

As for your comparison between free agency in MLB and the NBA - well it's as dumb as your others. Free agents who leave their teams in baseball for better clubs receive the same sort of reaction from fans of all colors.

Strike Four...
You're right, those good old baseball boys are perfect angels out there on the road and AAU basketball kids is nothing but trouble taking money left and right. Got it, you're opinion is noted and I know what you believe

Agreed. We found common ground. I probably just typed over your head bub.

I've changed no tune - you just read on an early elementary grade level.

My point has been clear - somebody in the thread applauded Calipari for getting guys to the NBA and getting them paid - which actually IS part of the topic at hand because it's part of his legacy. I'm not saying it's a bad thing either champ.

I pointed out it's not happily ever after for all NBA players - half go broke.

I didn't call any player a fraud. I implied it's flawed to give a lot of credit to getting a guy to the NBA if half the guys in the NBA end up miserable later in life, and shortly later in life as well - since the NBA life expectancy is something like 4-6 years.

It's a simple concept, and it can be argued against for sure - but you can't keep up.

All you've done is steam in and say I was wrong about half going broke - of course you had no facts and you were wrong about that. And when the facts were given to you, you then coughed up another garbage post that has no substance.

You remain terrible. Like bad, real bad. Keep posting chimp. You're a good representation.
LOL, okay.

You're right, those good old baseball boys are perfect angels out there on the road and AAU basketball kids is nothing but trouble taking money left and right. Got it, you're opinion is noted and I know what you believe
WTH are you babbling about? Who said anything about baseball players being angels? I haven't made one comment about aau basketball players at all either - that's all coming from your end. I simply stated that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about when it comes to amateur "summer" baseball.

What is with these yut fans and reading comprehension???

Who are the big players in baseball cleats these days in baseball at the traveling team level? IDK, but I know you do.

I always preferred Brooks, but don't know if they are still in business.

WTH are you babbling about? Who said anything about baseball players being angels? I haven't made one comment about aau basketball players at all either - that's all coming from your end. I simply stated that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about when it comes to amateur "summer" baseball.

What is with these yut fans and reading comprehension???
Well, all you would have to do is research where I am from and know 2 players have been drafted from my town since 2010 out of high school (1 I played summer ball with and 1 I helped train when he was younger). So no, I'm not one that "does not know what he's talking about".

My point was that basketball players as a whole get a lot more negatives connotations thrown at them than baseball players, and I believe race is a big issue. AAU basketball and Summer baseball (I played both) are different yes, but the scouts/coaches you see at those events are not all that different. I just believe(and this is an issue bigger than CAL/UK/UofL) that the insults thrown around about how "basketball is not the same and AAU ball is ruining it" seems to have racial undertones surrounding it.

Well, all you would have to do is research where I am from and know 2 players have been drafted from my town since 2010 out of high school (1 I played summer ball with and 1 I helped train when he was younger). So no, I'm not one that "does not know what he's talking about".

My point was that basketball players as a whole get a lot more negatives connotations thrown at them than baseball players, and I believe race is a big issue. AAU basketball and Summer baseball (I played both) are different yes, but the scouts/coaches you see at those events are not all that different. I just believe(and this is an issue bigger than CAL/UK/UofL) that the insults thrown around about how "basketball is not the same and AAU ball is ruining it" seems to have racial undertones surrounding it.
Whats your name i know alot of people from Hopkinsinville girlfriend and family from their.

Lol - I'll get right on researching Hopkinsville and it's two draftees...

You're simply wrong about the comparison between summer baseball and aau basketball. The best of the best HS baseball players don't get a $100 handshake from a scout because it's all about drafting position and greasing them is a waste of time. And, they sure don't get them from people affiliated with colleges as baseball is a non-revenue sport. Has any amateur baseball player ever been given something? Im sure they have but to compare it to the prevalence of the situation in aau basketball is preposterous. It's not even apples and oranges, it's apples and rocks. That said, continuing this discussion with you is a complete waste of my time and I'm finished with it.

Bottom line is that nobody cares about Summer baseball and people care about AAU basketball and nobody cares about Summer baseball. Heck its hard to find people who care about baseball at all.

Thats why there is more of a negative connotation to it...people pay more attention to it. Its not a racial thing. People care about college basketball so therefore they care about the recruiting of college athletes.

Bottom line is that nobody cares about Summer baseball and people care about AAU basketball and nobody cares about Summer baseball. Heck its hard to find people who care about baseball at all.

Thats why there is more of a negative connotation to it...people pay more attention to it. Its not a racial thing. People care about college basketball so therefore they care about the recruiting of college athletes.
Not sure that there are more people who care about aau basketball vs. elite travel baseball but, there is a ton more money poured into following basketball by colleges. It all goes back to revenue vs. non- revenue.

As for the comparison in general of the two sports - baseball still has more widespread appeal both from the numbers of kids participating and, people viewing it.

Lol - I'll get right on researching Hopkinsville and it's two draftees...
Here is a great video below of Easton McGee, top player in the state last year I believe. 8 Division 1 signers other than the two drafted since 2010, and each of the 3 schools has had a D1 player. Not bad for a small town.

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/40395496/v738057883/draft-report-easton-mcgee-high-school-pitcher

I actually included another link, this is UofL related. A sophomore in the class of 2019, Wyatt Stevenson, is committed to play for the Louisville Cardinals. He too is from Christian County/Hopkinsville.
https://www.fieldlevel.com/app/commitments/wyatt.stevenson/baseball

Here is a great video below of Easton McGee, top player in the state last year I believe. 8 Division 1 signers other than the two drafted since 2010, and each of the 3 schools has had a D1 player. Not bad for a small town.

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/40395496/v738057883/draft-report-easton-mcgee-high-school-pitcher

I actually included another link, this is UofL related. A sophomore in the class of 2019, Wyatt Stevenson, is committed to play for the Louisville Cardinals. He too is from Christian County/Hopkinsville.
https://www.fieldlevel.com/app/commitments/wyatt.stevenson/baseball
Fascinating...

Here's a link you might want to check out.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blo...ct/201110/7-tips-know-if-youre-boring-someone

Prime example is the Collins kid from Gonzaga. I guess he's just really really light-skinned. He declared for the NBA draft and is hiring an agent. Maybe he missed Hoptowncat's memo that only black people are one and done. Clearly everyone should be racist against white people now too....right?

I have literally no idea what you are talking abut when it comes to "some people" saying that basketball and AAU ball isn't what it used to be is somehow being racist??? You are stretching this one out so thin it's almost transparent. It's so transparent that everyone can see you are deflecting from your hero Cal being dirty and having his filthy hands in a really dirty market that he benefits from tremendously. uk fans spin that into a fine yarn and make some big ass sweaters and blankets out of their nonsense to defend Cal at all costs.

Last edited:
Money isnt everything.
"The love of money is the root of all evil."

No one is jealous of an overpaid, underperforming, Coach Pitino clone, BKA
as a coach that burned two Universities and ran.
I will NEVER watch it. Not one second.

You uofk fans need to get over yourself.
You really gonna use a biblical quote, when you HATE calipari, and make it known constantly. Pretty hypocritical.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT