ADVERTISEMENT

What Are Your Expectations For Coach Payne?

It was classic emotional letdown when their shots weren't falling. Ellis was big time guilty of this.

I do think there's something to KP not really caring that we lose the game. These guys want to look the part of a good basketball player, but working for it that they have to learn.

And how could it be any worse than what happened today? If they don't learn from this, forget about it.

I cannot imagine any reasonable person would think a rookie HC could be responsible for Sunday’s exhibition; shooting 8% in the second half is much more about individual performances than it is about the coach.

KP arrived too late, and at a time when the program remains under a cloud, which I believe explains the difficulty recruiting at this particular time, and installing his offense.

With that said, he will be expected to work with the parts that he has, and assume responsibility for improving on those obvious weaknesses.

Initially, I was not in favor of hiring KP, but I jumped on board when I learned that Junior Bridgeman and the Wade family put together a team of supporters who believe Kenny can turn the BB Program back to a respectful level. I will reassess my opinion and support as soon as the NCAA cloud dissipates, and this season progresses.

When you lose to a Division 2 team that is on the players. They are more talented period. I am afraid this team especially the returning guys are ridiculously soft. As soon as they got behind they wilted.

I really don’t expect much this year.

This is absolutely correct. I didn't see any leadership at all, just a group of players more concerned about looking the part of a college basketball star.

I believe KP sees this and wasn't all that concerned about winning the game. He had his walk on son in the game. He saw they needed some humble pie and that they're nowhere near good enough to beat anybody by just showing up.

Hopefully lesson learned.

Reactions: achilles992000
I really hope to see some steady improvement as the season progresses. If the team stays woefully unprepared then that will be highly concerning.

I didn't see one second of this game so I can't chime in on any positives so I'll probably have to wait until the Bellarmine game to see for myself.

Reactions: achilles992000
It's gonna be a tough year. We'll see if he can persuade some of these guys visiting to sign for next year. Rough times.

I did watch the entire game and my concerns are:
Where is the player development we hoped to see?
Where are the fundamentals?
No box outs
Couldn’t stay in front of the ball on D
No board crashing for rebounds
The team looks lazy
Poor shooting/shot selection
Why say the team will play fast then place requirements on how many times the ball has to go into the paint and swing from side to side On each possession?
What has the team been working on since practice started?
And finally, for those who criticized Satterfield for his “Aw Shucks” demeanor, where was KP’s fire?
I’ll admit I was not a KP advocate but he won me over with the things he said when he was hired. But, I saw not one thing to give me any confidence that this year will be any better than last year. I have to wonder….Did Kenny Payne really win those games?

KP, the entire game looked like he wasn't too concerned about winning the game. I think he saw his guys attitude and felt they needed a huge dose of reality.

He definitely seems like he's going to be a different kind of head coach. It remains to be seen if he can succeed with the many different personalities that make up the team.

This game was treated like a scrimmage like KP said, okay guys, I'm going to let you do it your way and see what happens. Now they know they need to listen to what the coaches are saying.

many teams are doing secret scrimmages to get ready. i think this is wise before we face a well coached Bellarmine team.

I suggest going into the season expecting the worst so you're pleasantly surprised if the season isn't a nightmare. There are so many problems no need to write the novel. This isn't an indictment on any individual it's just the overall status of the program right now.

Thursday night will provide a whole new set of data points. KP and his Cards will definitely have some pressure on them regardless of fan expectations.

Reactions: shadow force
Blame the coach; it’s fashionable for those wanting to give a knee-jerk answer for poor execution and limited talent. KP may or may not be a good HC, but we should all agree on the obvious…… no coach could be responsible for the results of that exhibition after less than a year.

Blame the coach; it’s fashionable for those wanting to give a knee-jerk answer for poor execution and limited talent. KP may or may not be a good HC, but we should all agree on the obvious…… no coach could be responsible for the results of that exhibition after less than a year.
They lost by 10 points to a bad division 2 team no excuse for Coach Payne for that one let's see how we go moving forward I expect disastrous season hope to be proved wrong

I posted this in another thread and feel compelled to share it here too for max exposure.

Maybe its just me and I am feeling sick with the COVID crud...but I have not ever been too interested in CBB until CFB is over. To me...Nov and December has always been about getting prepared for the conference games of Jan-Mar and the NCAAT. IOW...work out the kinks and the bad habits....build team chemistry and learn how to play together and win.

I may be wrong about this...but it seemed to me that is how Denny built his teams up too. I remember one season around the early to mid 80's when the Cards were highly ranked in the preseason and started out something like 2-9 and everyone in the media and the fans were writing them off, etc. etc.

Then getting into Jan-Feb things began to click and the team pulled together and righted the ship and went on to a 20 win season and good NCAAT appearance. I don't remember the year but it could have been one of the teams Payne played on. If it is....he may have that in the back of his mind IDK.

For my peace of mind...I just don't take CBB too serious until conference games get into it and it is truly on the front burner...after even all the bowl games. Than is just me and my opinion. Life is too damn short to stress out over the Cards BB team this early in the season. I try my best not to stress over things beyond my control. May be a word to the wise in that nugget.

Reactions: 2330859
Your memory was correct; in fact Denny cautioned the fans that March is when it counts, and the time preceding that is preparing for March.

Reactions: Mayoman
They lost by 10 points to a bad division 2 team no excuse for Coach Payne for that one let's see how we go moving forward I expect disastrous season hope to be proved wrong
love to see your coaching strategy during an exhibition game that results in improved shooting.

• Wow
Reactions: Mayoman
I honestly believe we will see a talented and experienced guard pop-up on the transfer portal within the next few weeks that will be eligible 2nd semester. This staff is very attractive and it is going to be getting phone calls very soon.

They improved a lot between exh1 and exh2. That's a good sign. Going to need to improve a helluva lot more to beat Bellarmine.

LOL good luck with that and this fanbase. A coach fighting an uphill battle for various and obvious reasons. I'm going to have very little interactions on these type boards and very little sport show listening. Because i know my blood pressure will off the charts with the vitriol after every loss or unimpressive win.
Hmmm - whole lot of 😂 reactions today to posters expressing dissatisfaction with the KP shit show you were so excited about @REDFISTFURY3 but, precious little defending of your guy and his results this entire season.

SUPER weak on your part but, that’s what we’ve come to expect from you.

#bum

Let’s be careful with that “We” pronoun. I was hopeful but certainly not confident and nowhere near delusional!

A few did try to send a warning. I believe I said it would be a rough year, but I can't lie I didn't know it would be this rough.

Savage bump amongst friends.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
I was highly skeptical of the hire. And I couched my attitude as one of “hope” this past Fall.

This has been a realization for me and hopefully everyone how bad reality can be. I don’t recall even the biggest Payne critics predicting a debacle like we have witnessed.

So this shouldn’t be much of a victory lap for even the critics. Anyone who predicted his ability to count the wins on one hand was keeping that prediction to himself…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT