ADVERTISEMENT

What Are Your Expectations For Coach Payne?

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
Made a similar thread a while back, but now that the roster for this season is finalized and more pieces are in place, what are your expectations for CKP and team for season one?

I think we'll be a really good defensive team almost by default because of our height and length. As far as offense goes, I know Ellis said it's going to be very NBA-oriented so I'm interested to see what he means by that. Seeing practice videos of Huntley-Hatfield and Traynor making threes is also nice to watch. If they can stretch the floor that will help a lot

KP is big on individual instruction , fitness and athleticism. I just want to see how each player develops individually . Going to be up and down season . Something people fail too realize they keep harping on his lack of HC experience . Manning will be right their to offer that .

KP seems to be cautioning fans that this is a process and not to jump ship when we lose. i take that to mean we will lose a lot of games. might take a few years to get good.

I think it comes down to basketball IQ. The Cards have enough talent to be a top 20 team. There has been many a good team with only 9 or 10 legit scholarship players. Injuries aside, the Cards should be a 8 or 9 deep team.

Every team is usually inefficient at one position and it's at guard with Louisville. However, the Cards will hold the advantage over most teams with its size.

For KP to have a winning season and possible big dance participant, he needs his players to have a good grasp of the game and perform with the strengths of what they do well and not be a player they're not.

So coaching and player adjustments will have to occur with positive results and for some reason, I think that is what will be this teams identity.

Without seeing them play I'm going with...

18 and 12

KP seems to be cautioning fans that this is a process and not to jump ship when we lose. i take that to mean we will lose a lot of games. might take a few years to get good.
LOL good luck with that and this fanbase. A coach fighting an uphill battle for various and obvious reasons. I'm going to have very little interactions on these type boards and very little sport show listening. Because i know my blood pressure will off the charts with the vitriol after every loss or unimpressive win.

I don't how there could be much vitriol if the Cards lose a lot of games. No one is expecting a winning team or a NCAA tournament team. It may be frustrating but without expectations, not much to get angry at.

But I think everyone may be underestimating Louisville because they read everywhere that the Cards are going to be a bad team. Maybe, but until I see these new players, I don't know.

Think about it. What if Mike James is a stud? What if Lands is a ACC first team freshman? We know we have two guys in Curry and Ellis who could both be all ACC performers and if Withers returns to the breakout player he appeared to be two years ago, that is a formidable starting lineup.

Until I see this team on the floor, I don't know how good they can be. Something though is telling me that we're going to be a surprise team and be a lot better than people think.

Reactions: Smithereen
LOL good luck with that and this fanbase. A coach fighting an uphill battle for various and obvious reasons. I'm going to have very little interactions on these type boards and very little sport show listening. Because i know my blood pressure will off the charts with the vitriol after every loss or unimpressive win.
You'll be here lots 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I think there are a lot of “ifs” with this team. Not many certainties. It’s seems that in recent history “ifs” haven’t worked out well for UofL so I’m setting low expectations.

I think they will play hard this year. His offensive system is going to require a lot of skill. I don’t think this group has the ability to break down players off the dribble. I think it will be tough for them to generate offense. He will put an emphasis on passing. Depending how recruiting goes those should improve.

He believes in length and being athletic so defense should always be good. He has a really good defensive background as a player and coach. I would expect them to be really good defensively.

As long as he gets players he will be fine.

my expectations are what pitino's original teams at providence and uk did, out hustled opponents, knew the fundamentals, played hard, and throw up a ton of shots. doesn't mean we'll win, but i jsut want to see effort for 40 minutes and understanding of when not to take risks. that's what i expected of the team based on how KP seems to coach up players. now for him, i hope he'll simply be able to adjust in game, anything more than what cal can do during a game will be a good start. that's the entire cruxt of his tenure here, will KP be able to adjsut on the fly or is it the hammer and nail approach which works 90% of the time but sometimes the nail wins.

I’m hopeful but skeptical. I was also hopeful for our FB team. I wish we had more/better guards as it seems most successful teams have great guard tandems. I love our size and that can help us be effective defensively.
We should have a pretty good idea of who we are by early December.

I expect KP to have a winning record 18 wins. Could we do better or worse, of course depending on injuries, but I don't see anyway this team isn't WAYYYYY better than last year's debacle. Poor coaching, horrible team chemistry, terrible schemes, turmoil and still had chances to beat some good teams despite all that.

Talent wise we have more than last year for sure. Coaching is on another level better than last year. Although we don't really know much about the offense, we do know what type of defense we'll play and this team is suited for that style and should be very good at it, unlike last year.

We're definitely not going to be a conventional college hoops team that's for sure. How that translates to wins and losses is what we fans can't wait to see. It's such a reversal with how UofL has been historically with a bunch of smaller guards. Even the 2013 champions were led by two guards under 6'0.

So having a tall team being led by a coach who's been a front court coach his whole career is something Cards fans haven't seen and naturally are a bit concerned about.

I expect KP to survive the first few seasons based on understanding the circumstances he inherited. Once the NCAA cloud passes, I honestly believe that local NIL money will overcome the Adidas inferiority to Nike, at which time Kenny will be successfully recruiting against UK, Duke, UNC and Kansas.

You mean like all of the vitriol you exhibited after every loss or unimpressive win of the Mack or Pitino eras? What might the difference be? I just can’t put my finger on it. 🤔

NCAA tourney (if we are eligible) is the expectation this year. Anything less is ALWAYS a failure at UL. We have the talent for a tourney berth.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
we'll see who jumps ship after the Maui invitational. 3 days in a row of tough teams.

1. Arkansas (#10 in the nation), 2. the next day Creighton #9 or Texas Tech #25 , 3. and then an unknown.

Let me first say that I was against the hiring of Kenny so my expectations are low for him even low for the next three or four years and then probably he'll be fired and we'll have to start all over again but my expectations for him this year is to make the NCAA tournament his hiring gave plenty of time to recruit players and plenty of time to try to get the players to come back there is no reason why we shouldn't have a competitive team this year

This season in particular:
The guard situation is a concern. It was a weakness last year and we lost 3 off that team who were limited in talent, but were very experienced. We replaced them with 2 low major recruits that have basically zero experience. That said, I do expect to see improvement in individual ability, team defense and overall attitude. Conflicting attitudes, in-fighting, poor coaching, and general lack of effort were evident in last years many losses. I don’t expect any of that this year, and that would mean KP did his job.

Reactions: Ipartiedwithhopgood
For expectations, to play hard every game. Win 9-10 conference games. Finish 1 or 2 games over .500.

Of course I hope they do better. Anything better is icing on the cake for me. But I'm really not expecting much more than that.

Reactions: achilles992000
Made a similar thread a while back, but now that the roster for this season is finalized and more pieces are in place, what are your expectations for CKP and team for season one?

I expect Kenny PAYNE to win those games.

I think last year's team was far more talented than it showed, but it was the perfect storm to fall part. This year's team is more talented than last year's (everyone we wanted back, plus some good new talent), I believe anyway. I can't prove it but I think last year's team was talented enough to go to the NCAAT, and by extension so is this years - but again no data just opinion based on the streaky performances of good we saw last year.

So, I think an NCAAT invite is a reasonable goal. If that doesn't happen, I'll take improved play and improved record over 0.500 and an NIT invite. Somewhere between those two things is good with me.

I think it will be a fairly rough season with some highs and some lows mixed in. I'm hoping for an NCAAT bid but wouldn't be surprised if we are on the outside looking in this season.

What I really want to see is how CKPs game preparation, in game adjustments, substitutions, and overall head coaching ability pans out.

I don't how there could be much vitriol if the Cards lose a lot of games. No one is expecting a winning team or a NCAA tournament team. It may be frustrating but without expectations, not much to get angry at.
I don't know who you run with with everyone I know has expectations of this team to win and make the tournament. It doesn't matter if KP is a first year coach. The portal is the perfect way to stock a roster and KP didn't exactly Excell at pulling players out of there to stock ours, thats on him. There's enough talent on this team to win so KP needs to produce. This is not a mulligan season. The clock starts on the KP Era now .

If have serious doubts about KP but my expectations are the same as they are every year, this is Louisville basketball not some mid major.

Reactions: gocds
I don't know who you run with with everyone I know has expectations of this team to win and make the tournament. It doesn't matter if KP is a first year coach. The portal is the perfect way to stock a roster and KP didn't exactly Excell at pulling players out of there to stock ours, thats on him. There's enough talent on this team to win so KP needs to produce. This is not a mulligan season. The clock starts on the KP Era now .

If have serious doubts about KP but my expectations are the same as they are every year, this is Louisville basketball not some mid major.

Well, remember Rick's first team didn't go to the NCAAT. I think this team is more talented than that one, though.

Kenny shouldn’t be feeling too much pressure. Most of the local and national media are showing very little love to the Cards. Hopefully, the team comes out with a chip on their shoulder, but chips don’t win games, talent and good coaching do. Let’s see what we’ve got.

We have a lot more talent than CRP inherited his first year. We have several "4 star" recruits on this roster.

Last year was a toxic sht show from the word go

Reactions: Morgantown Card

I just don't understand how people can blame KP for not landing transfers out of the portal. What's he supposed to do? If these players decide to go elsewhere there's nothing he can do.

We all know why no one came here. Every single transfer was told and believed that the sanctions against Louisville were coming this season and it was going to likely be a post season ban. Why would a transfer come here and take that chance?

Then add the absolute disaster last season where Louisville had a very bad losing season. These two factors made it impossible for KP to convince a grad transfer to gamble and come to UofL.

It's not on KP and I was and still am skeptical about hiring him. There was no way any worthy transfer was going to come to Louisville in 2022.

What's he supposed to do? If these players decide to go elsewhere there's nothing he can do.

We all know why no one came here. Every single transfer was told and believed that the sanctions against Louisville were coming this season and it was going to likely be a post season ban. Why would a transfer come here and take that chance?

It's not on KP and I was and still am skeptical about hiring him. There was no way any worthy transfer was going to come to Louisville in 2022.
The threat of sanctions didn't slow Kansas or Memphis recruiting down or even Auburn for that matter.. What KP is supposed to do is recruit, that's supposedly his strength and he failed to fill out a roster this year.

I'm not even sure kids care about going to the NCAA Tournament anymore they just want showcase their game and get to the next level.

I'm in full support of KP I hope he kills it here and is our next Hall of Famer but he's not off to a great start.

Reactions: BPGhost
The threat of sanctions didn't slow Kansas or Memphis recruiting down or even Auburn for that matter.. What KP is supposed to do is recruit, that's supposedly his strength and he failed to fill out a roster this year.

I'm not even sure kids care about going to the NCAA Tournament anymore they just want showcase their game and get to the next level.

I'm in full support of KP I hope he kills it here and is our next Hall of Famer but he's not off to a great start.
Kansas, Memphis, and Auburn all have relatively proven coaches though. KP’s a first time head coach and while the kids this past spring probably liked what he had to say, they just weren’t completely sure of his playing style so they chose to go somewhere they knew they would fit in right away

Come on now, be honest. None of those schools are repeat offenders who were on probation. None are expected to have post season bans and to say the transfers don't care about the big dance is just a lazy excuse.

Regardless of why transfers decided not to go to Louisville, I again ask what exactly could KP do? He's selling the program for what's to come after the NCAA sanctions, not what's going to happen his first season. Everyone knows this. Any criticism of his recruiting, which is HS players, has to be after a few years of being the head coach.

It is simply not fair or logical to criticize KP for not landing grad transfers. Players who have just one season at their new school. It makes perfect sense why they all chose somewhere else.

Remember Lee and Lewis who came to Louisville only to be denied the postseason? Do you really believe had they knew UofL was going to self impose a post season ban they would have still chose Louisville?

Reactions: Mayoman
To me KP dis his best recruiting in keeping the players off last years team that he wanted to come back...come back. Anything else would be the cherry on top. KP has a plan and deserves time to make it or break it regardless of how I feel or think and anybody else for that matter.

It is his reputation and career that is at stake now too. I choose to support him as long as he is the coach. Message boards posters will not sway me from that.

Reactions: gocds
To me KP dis his best recruiting in keeping the players off last years team that he wanted to come back...come back. Anything else would be the cherry on top. KP has a plan and deserves time to make it or break it regardless of how I feel or think and anybody else for that matter.

It is his reputation and career that is at stake now too. I choose to support him as long as he is the coach. Message boards posters will not sway me from that.
I agree and when UL gets over their ncaa problems then we will see a better recruiting class.

Losing this exhibition game is a bad look but I'll wait and see how they do in the first few regular season games. Hopefully there will be some noticeable improvements.

Did you get to watch the game today ??

what do you guys think of KP's preaching of passing? he wants 5 touches with 2 of those being in the paint.

is it excessive: leading to turnovers and indecision? or will it lead to good team basketball?

My expectations (as well as the National and ACC media’s expectations) we’re pretty low to begin with. But….today’s play fell short of even that very low bar. In the upcoming week, plan to hear lots of KP apologists (especially a morning 93.9 radio show whose hosts lobbied hard for KP) spin this to a positive by saying KP lost this game on purpose as a teaching point for his team.
The team looked lost, confused and insecure….much like last year’s team. Maybe there’s something in the water at the practice facility.

• Wow
Reactions: Mayoman
what do you guys think of KP's preaching of passing? he wants 5 touches with 2 of those being in the paint.

is it excessive: leading to turnovers and indecision? or will it lead to good team basketball?
Good passing is important but these rubrics seem arbitrary. KP says he wants the kids to just play ball but these kind of goals don’t always translate to buckets. Turn the guys loose!

Reactions: achilles992000
In the upcoming week, plan to hear lots of KP apologists (especially a morning 93.9 radio show whose hosts lobbied hard for KP)
The biggest one is on WKRD 1080 and he has already been asking for 2 -3 years of patience even though he was on Chris Mack's ass before he ever coached a game.. #jerryeavessucks

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT