ADVERTISEMENT

BREAKING: Official Word: Payne Fired - Heird Press Conference 3PM

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
OFFICIAL | Kenny Payne has been fired as Louisville basketball coach.

Josh Heird: ""Kenny has given a great deal to this university over a span of nearly 40 years, and he will always be a valued member of our Louisville family," Heird said. "When we brought Kenny home in 2022, no one had a stronger belief than me in his potential success, but it's become clear that a change is needed to help this program achieve what is expected and attainable. While it is always difficult to make a coaching transition, this is the right one for our program. On behalf of myself and everyone involved with our men's basketball program, I want to thank Kenny for his dedication to UofL. I wish him and his family the very best in their future."

Reactions: UofLouisville
Right. The end of his pressers alone will be a blessing, even though he remains on payroll through April and no traction can really be made on a new coach until the tourney is over.

OFFICIAL | Kenny Payne has been fired as Louisville basketball coach.Josh Heird: ""Kenny has given a great deal to this university over a span of nearly 40 years, and he will always be a valued member of our Louisville family," Heird said. "When we brought Kenny home in 2022, no one had a stronger belief than me in his potential success, but it's become clear that a change is needed to help this program achieve what is expected and attainable. While it is always difficult to make a coaching transition, this is the right one for our program. On behalf of myself and everyone involved with our men's basketball program, I want to thank Kenny for his dedication to UofL. I wish him and his family the very best in their future."

Anybody who had strong feeling that Payne would be a success is at best a dolt. Payne was just another former top player become bagman assistant coach. He served Calipari in his dirty dealings, without showing any signs he could run a program. He should have been avoided.

Nicely done statement by Josh. Hope the press conference has the same tone ==> "Thanks Kenny, sorry it didn't work out, best wishes, but we are moving forward."

As it was obvious that this had to happen this year or face the fact that the program could get destroyed for another decade, there may already be a top candidate who is all but ready to sign (say when his team loses this post-season).

It reduces to $6m on April 1. Word is he’ll get that with the university getting funding assistance via a private donation from Jr. Bridgeman. KP is getting around $12m for his 12 wins over 2 years.

Reactions: ColdCard
Heird on the expectations for the new coach: "There's a handful of programs around this country that you don't truly have the luxury of time. ... The head coach coming in here needs to understand that. In order for this athletic department to be healthy, this basketball program has to be successful.

Reactions: UofLouisville
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT