ADVERTISEMENT

Northwestern

earsky

Four-Star Poster
Jan 12, 2010
Time change to 1pm as we try to get this series done on a soggy start to the weekend. There's a gap after lunch in the rain 🌧 before it comes back later this afternoon.
Tomorrow,who knows? They might move that one to later in the day.

McCoy has 4 longballs and is batting .300. How is he killing us?

His last two homers were to left field.

Reactions: earsky
After 60 games or so,McCoy has finally made the adjustment of taking those pitches the other way. Hell,that's all he sees is breaking pitches and fastballs on the outer part of the plate.
These pitchers refuse to throw it on the inner half of the plate to him. He'll likely have close to 75-80 walks this year. He's come leaps and bounds from last season.

Ryan is a big part of this team's long term success. The fact that he's hitting in the 8 hole and basically getting pitched around down there should say something.
Credit to Mac for putting a jolt in him by moving him down then sticking with him. He knows how important that power is in the middle and hopefully McCoy will work his way back up in a spot that makes it hard for opposing teams to pitch around him,maybe in front of BA.

McCoy - if he swings thru the pitch and drives the ball he will do great things. His natural power can drive the ball to the opposite field. He is also talking walks - which is great. His SO to Walk ratio last year was abysmal. If he cuts down on the SOs he will really earn his playing time.

Reactions: UofLouisville
Don't get me wrong. To see him taking off speed pitches the other way is awesome. And he has had success with homer's the last four games. But I'll withhold singing his praises until I see him facing pitchers with more than mid to low 80s fastballs and sharper breaking balls in the acc. To have a guy in the lower end of the lineup with his power is great. His improved bat might be attributed to him moving down and taking the pressure off to produce. But he was moved down for a reason, he wasn’t producing. Early season yet and it would mean alot if he could bang out 15-20 dingers in the latter half of the lineup.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bardman
McCoy is starting to find himself at the plate. Agreed, some of the pitching we have seen thus far is not up to ACC level, but a lot of his struggles just go back to plate discipline and not so much about opponent pitching. I think he is starting to distinguish between the balls and strikes, and if he can avoid swinging at those out of the strike zone, he is going to walk a lot. Getting a free pass in front of a team hitting over .300 average is going to result in a lot of offense.

Reactions: earsky
Btw,I parked myself in the drizzle where I'm usually at,over on the 3rd baseline and I am continued to be pleasantly surprised by how good our short stop is. He made another play in the hole yesterday that won't make any highlight reels but won't be forgotten by me anytime soon. He's one smooth fielder.
He's not the only one making great plays in the field these days over at 3rd and Central though. JT made a top 5 play last Sunday in left field. This is a solid defense. Kilen is next level good and the best I've seen at that position in quite some time.

Why does McDonnell consistently run into outs? Meat of the lineup so let’s just sacrifice a runner.

Could have had runners on 1st and 2nd 1 out with your cleanup batter hitting. Dan just has to find a way to interject himself into a game.

And it continues into the second inning. Hit and run in which Cline saved a throw out by swinging and luckily hitting an almost unhitable pitch for a hit. Then he sacrifices a good bat in King for a strikeout king McCoy. Does McDonnell even know his own team? Also it’s going to take more than a run to win this game so let King hit with 2 runners on. This crap of his gets old.

Last edited:
Reactions: PushupMan
more of McDonnell’s BS in the 4th. Let the guy hit and the runner wouldn’t have gotten hung up at second. He never learns! A team averaging almost 10 runs a game and he continues his small ball BS!

In McDonnell’s defense, early in the game and early in the season is the time to tinker. That play clearly didn’t work, so you know to put that one on the shelf during ACC play.

But I will agree that when it comes to crunch time, aka Conference and NCAAT play, he has in the past resorted to those kinds of plays way too much and to our detriment.

Is it true that the baserunners have only the red light? Is McDonnell to blame for when a baserunner gets thrown out stealing? If so, why? That's what he does.

I don't get all the angst for Cards getting caught stealing or trying to take the extra base. The running game is what McDonnell has always done. Louisville leads the ACC this season in stolen bases. Sometimes you got to give the opponents catcher credit for throwing runners out.

Now getting picked off is another thing altogether. Anderson being picked off 2nd base was terrible baserunning.

Is it true that the baserunners have only the red light? Is McDonnell to blame for when a baserunner gets thrown out stealing? If so, why? That's what he does.

I don't get all the angst for Cards getting caught stealing or trying to take the extra base. The running game is what McDonnell has always done. Louisville leads the ACC this season in stolen bases. Sometimes you got to give the opponents catcher credit for throwing runners out.

Now getting picked off is another thing altogether. Anderson being picked off 2nd base was terrible baserunning.
I remember years ago Arizona won the World Series and had the best hitting team I had ever seen. They never stole bases. Why? Why take the risk of an out? If they have the green light to steal that’s stupid and so far I’ve only seen 2 things hurt this team, McDonnell and McCoy. Sorry if the truth hurts.

I remember years ago Arizona won the World Series and had the best hitting team I had ever seen. They never stole bases. Why? Why take the risk of an out? If they have the green light to steal that’s stupid and so far I’ve only seen 2 things hurt this team, McDonnell and McCoy. Sorry if the truth hurts.
Truth? What truth? Your truth?

You're calling stealing bases stupid? You're calling McDonnell stupid?

Who in the hell are you? Seriously?

The only stupid person I see is you.

Reactions: nccardfan and CardX
Dan is considered one of the best College baseball coaches in the country. Base running has been a huge part of UL’s game; based on his historical ability to recruit speed. There have been seasons when our reputation for base running caused opponent pitchers to make numerous mistakes that cost them games. Unfortunately the last few years we have been plagued with poor execution and it results in fan frustration. When you have a lineup like this one averaging over.300, it can produce a lot of critical runs when base runners get a jump or two.

Just unfortunate that K
Webster had a really solid outing today.
He's locked in like I've never seen before. Hitting spots,mixing pitches and throwing pretty much everything he wants for strikes. Hardly overpowering,he depends on location and keeping guys off balance.
Been watching him in the dugout too when he's not pitching and he's a true leader of this team.

Reactions: UofLouisville
Detmers on the bump today. Pretty lean crowd - 44 degrees at the moment so I get it. Nice and sunny though! Pretty good breeze out to right field - potential for spme fireworks that direction.

Maybe Forbes is pitching the mid-week game. We have 2 against Lipscomb before starting ACC play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT