ADVERTISEMENT

Scrimmage

earsky

Four-Star Poster
Jan 12, 2010
Good chance this weekend to see the latest version of the baseball Cards on display as we get underway with the season in about 2 weeks.
Weather looking tolerable. I'm gonna try to find out just when but if anyone knows please feel to post here.

Reactions: Bardman
Humphries takes Ligget deep
Lippe hit one of the hardest balls I've seen over the second baseman's head.

Reactions: CardX
I was at the park for about 4 innings today. Wow,lots of moving parts. I couldn't figure out if our hitters were that good or it was just bad pitching. Liggett and Forbes both were hit pretty good.
It seems like there are a lot of new faces that want to not just play,but play every day. CM has to be loving what he's seeing offensively...from just about everybody.

Going back tomorrow to get a better look.
Transfers Hoye and Napoleon (1st base) are polished ball players. Gonna be hard to keep Hoye out of the lineup. Hell,he's probably 22 years old. He's a ball player.

Reactions: CardX
Hitting ahead of pitching. Napleton chases Webster with 3 run shot. I think I know why Cook transferred.

Reactions: Jgrimes1320
I was at the park for about 4 innings today. Wow,lots of moving parts. I couldn't figure out if our hitters were that good or it was just bad pitching. Liggett and Forbes both were hit pretty good.
It seems like there are a lot of new faces that want to not just play,but play every day. CM has to be loving what he's seeing offensively...from just about everybody.

Going back tomorrow to get a better look.
Transfers Hoye and Napoleon (1st base) are polished ball players. Gonna be hard to keep Hoye out of the lineup. Hell,he's probably 22 years old. He's a ball player.
Hoy was named a team captain. Pretty impressive since he transferred in. That tells me something.

Reactions: earsky and Bardman
Hoy was named a team captain. Pretty impressive since he transferred in. That tells me something.
Oh boy,can't get enough of this guy 🤩
He has impressed me every time I've seen him,hitting and with his glove. I'm not sure who's the better ss between him and Kilen but the middle as strong as it's been in years. Idk where this leaves Beard with Napleton tearing it up,maybe 3rd Base with Anderson or dhing. Expect to see Hoy out there every day...impressive.

Pretty encouraging to have returnees looking to make room for transferees; depth means competition within the roster and gives the staff an opportunity to “plug and play“ when one is struggling to perform.

They look to be 2 deep at every position.
Two position guys to put on your radar that will likely have to wait for veterans to move on-outfielder Lucas Moore and infielder Alex Alicea. These 2 guys can play.

Didn't see the transfer pitchers that I've been hearing raves about but I remember speaking a bit about them during Fall ball.
Did some digging and found the Sports Illustrated preview for college baseball (check it out) and Gongora(Wright St) and Karaba(DII Lewis) both mentioned as potential weekend guys.
Hartman,Detmers and Starks lead the incoming Freshman class that likely will all see action out of the pen.

He certainly is a huge, huge surprise. I thought he was going to be a depth guy. Little did I know he is a key piece of the machine. I think Logan is the odd man out. I think if he is hitting the ball better than Anderson the he’d get run at 3B. I imagine he’ll DH as well. Sounds like they have to fit Napleton in somewhere too.

Sounds like they have to fit Napleton in somewhere too.
Just watched the video of Mac from 2 weekends ago. Napleton likely catching,dhing or 1st base. Btw, I think Beard will be used in a similar fashion.

McCoy - Can he hit the breaking ball? That was an achilles heel last year. If not, Anderson, Napleton, Beard, etc. will take time at 1B.

They look to be 2 deep at every position.
Two position guys to put on your radar that will likely have to wait for veterans to move on-outfielder Lucas Moore and infielder Alex Alicea. These 2 guys can play.

Didn't see the transfer pitchers that I've been hearing raves about but I remember speaking a bit about them during Fall ball.
Did some digging and found the Sports Illustrated preview for college baseball (check it out) and Gongora(Wright St) and Karaba(DII Lewis) both mentioned as potential weekend guys.
Hartman,Detmers and Starks lead the incoming Freshman class that likely will all see action out of the pen.
Speaking of Gongora, he's been named a pre-season All American. That's an encouraging sign for the pitching staff.
GFrNjOJbAAAI7Ty

I love those lefties.

Reactions: earsky
Liggett was really good last year. Can Riley be that other guy for the weekend? Does Koger emerge as a ‘dude’? There are some exciting arms on this squad. We need at least one to be the guy the other team sees and says ‘Aw shit, so and so is pitching’. I really think this team is being grossly overlooked.

really think this team is being grossly overlooked.
I'm thinking maybe because of the last couple seasons have fallen short. Lmao,I'm sure the Cards won't sneak up on anybody in the ACC.
There's a video on Cards Chronicle with Mac and he goes into pretty good analysis about the team and the issues at catcher with the injuries last year. I count at least five catchers this time around.

Btw,I can't wait to see these guys next weekend. Anybody know how we can see the game Friday?

Last edited:
Hopefully there is a secret squirrel way to watch.

Gonna try to get over today and hopefully Gongora and Phillips throwing.
I would say if those 2 guys are probable starters next weekend they'll likely throw today.🤞

I was at the game for about 4 innings. Gongora is pretty good you guys. Good mix of off speed and fastballs. I think he walked a couple,gave up a couple runs.
I want to put in the disclaimer at this point that he was pitching against a very talented group of hitters,no run of the mill stiffs. In fact,both teams were full of talented hitters,from the returning guys to the transfers and the Frosh.
This is the best collection of hitters I've seen seen top to bottom and 2 deep over at 3rd and Central since Mac's been there. I'll stand on that. I'm watching these 2 guys pitch but all I hear is balls getting barreled up. Gone this year is waiting on someone to come out of their slump. They'll get passed up.
Gonna do a 2 deep post soon,maybe early next week. Folks, I sure hope I'm right but we could be in for quite a ride with this team.😛🤩🫡

I was at the game for about 4 innings. Gongora is pretty good you guys. Good mix of off speed and fastballs. I think he walked a couple,gave up a couple runs.
I want to put in the disclaimer at this point that he was pitching against a very talented group of hitters,no run of the mill stiffs. In fact,both teams were full of talented hitters,from the returning guys to the transfers and the Frosh.
This is the best collection of hitters I've seen seen top to bottom and 2 deep over at 3rd and Central since Mac's been there. I'll stand on that. I'm watching these 2 guys pitch but all I hear is balls getting barreled up. Gone this year is waiting on someone to come out of their slump. They'll get passed up.
Gonna do a 2 deep post soon,maybe early next week. Folks, I sure hope I'm right but we could be in for quite a ride with this team.😛🤩🫡
Is there power? Good hitting is nice, but you know what they say? Chicks dig the long ball.

Is there power? Good hitting is nice, but you know what they say? Chicks dig the long ball.
Oh yeah. Several guys can go yard.
McCoy,King,Humphries,Benson,Beard
Rose,Dickerson (saw him take Detmers yard yesterday to dead center) Napleton and Lippe

Reactions: Bardman and CardX
Just talked to Phillips. Guessing he might have thrown yesterday after I left. He said he "couldn't complain " when I asked him how he was doing.
Ligget vs Webster today. Webbie gets a big 2 out k on McCoy.

Webster looked really good today. Painting those corners consistently. He's making a push for one of the 4 starting spots.

Webster is intriguing. I think having him for middle relief would be best. This way he could pitch more often. Just my two cents worth.

Webster is intriguing. I think having him for middle relief would be best. This way he could pitch more often. Just my two cents worth.
I think you're on to something @ Bardman. I can see him sliding into that role Kuehner had.
Got to see Lewis CC transfer Jake Karaba today. Really impressed with this guy and he could fit that closer role-watch.

Most interesting take Earsky; your posts are most welcomed reports on UL Baseball, at a time when it is difficult to obtain any outside or inside information. Crawford‘s recent article was more about Coach Dan’s traditional success here, in contrast to the extremely low expectations from ACC and National media.

This weekend‘s challenge against Indiana State, USF and UConn could result in UL gaining ground if we perform well, but as expected Dan reminded Crawford that its a long season and too early to draw conclusions from non-conference games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT