ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Tournament

UCLA, Stanford, and Michigan won late last night to finish out the 16 team super regional brackets. We ended up with 12 one seeds, 1 2-seed (Auburn) and 3 3-seeds (Michigan, Duke and FSU).

The SEC ended up with 6 of the 16, followed by the ACC with 4. The Big 12 and PAC 12 had 2 each, with Michigan of the Big Ten and ECU of the AAC being the lone representatives from their conferences.

The SEC and Big 12 are guaranteed to get at least one representative in the College World Series, due to the matchups of Arkansas versus Ole Miss and Texas Tech versus Oklahoma State.

Three of the Super Regional pairings have the SEC versus the ACC: Auburn at UNC, Duke at Vanderbilt and FSU at LSU.
I think the FSU vs LSU will be classic. Go ACC!

Reactions: PushupMan
It was strange last night for me cheering on Duke, in baseball. Late starting game because they had a 3 hr rain delay in Nashville. Like a fool I got myself hooked on watching it. Vandy looked stunned.

Reactions: fredburgcard
Changed the title of this thread from “NCAA Regional” to “NCAA Tournament”.

Cards have been just amazing so far against an excellent baseball team in this Super Regional!

In the Lubbock Super Regional, Oklahoma State scored the winning run on a wild pitch in the bottom of the 9th. They force a game 3 against Texas Tech tomorrow.

Wow! The Vandy pitcher did throw a no-hitter! Vandy stays alive, as did UCLA, which prevailed over Michigan in 12 innings.

#8 Texas Tech and #2 Vandy win game 3’s to advance to the CWS, joining UofL. North Carolina and Ole Miss both won must-win games today to force game 3 showdowns in their Super Regionals tomorrow.

#8 Texas Tech and #2 Vandy win game 3’s to advance to the CWS, joining UofL. North Carolina and Ole Miss both won must-win games today to force game 3 showdowns in their Super Regionals tomorrow.
Wow! Couldn’t believe the Texas Tech come back and 3 run HR. UCLA No.1 overall seed fails to make it to Omaha!

The PAC-12 turned out to be very weak this year. 3 teams were awarded 1 seeds, including #1 overall seed UCLA. The Bruins struggled mightily to get out of their regional, then fell at home to Michigan, a team that barely qualified for the tournament as an at large team.

Another PAC-12 team (Stanford) struggled to get out of their regional before getting blasted out of the Super Regionals by Mississippi State.

And the third PAC-12 team (Oregon State) couldn’t win one game in their own regional.

Reactions: fredburgcard
At this point, 6 of 8 CWS tickets have been punched: in UofL’s bracket, it will be Vandy versus UofL and Auburn (or UNC) versus Mississippi State. Auburn has a 9 run lead on UNC in the bottom of the 8th.

In the other group of 4, you have Michigan versus Texas Tech and the winner of Ole Miss/Arkansas versus Florida State.

At this point, 6 of 8 CWS tickets have been punched: in UofL’s bracket, it will be Vandy versus UofL and Auburn (or UNC) versus Mississippi State. Auburn has a 9 run lead on UNC in the bottom of the 8th.

In the other group of 4, you have Michigan versus Texas Tech and the winner of Ole Miss/Arkansas versus Florida State.
Unc game was over in the first half inning ... 13-0 after one.

First 4 games of the CWS are set:
Saturday 6/15 @ 2pm: Michigan vs #8 Texas Tech
Saturday 6/15 @ 7pm: Florida State vs #5 Arkansas
Sunday 6/16 @ 2pm: #7 Louisville vs #2 Vanderbilt
Sunday 6/16 @ 7:30pm: Auburn vs #3 Mississippi State

The first 3 games will be on ESPN, and the third will be on ESPN2. The home teams for each game are listed second (determined by seeding).

Win or lose against Vandy on Sunday, the Cards will play their second game in the CWS on Tuesday the 18th - at either 2pm or 7pm.

Reactions: Deeva and luv2hit63
Gotta love the NCAA baseball tournament! #5 and #8 national seeds go down to two regional 3-seeds which both just barely made it into the tournament. Kinda like the Virginia Cavaliers in the 2014 tournament, and Coastal Carolina in 2016.

Reactions: earsky
Gotta love the NCAA baseball tournament! #5 and #8 national seeds go down to two regional 3-seeds which both just barely made it into the tournament. Kinda like the Virginia Cavaliers in the 2014 tournament, and Coastal Carolina in 2016.
That’s why reseeding the teams when they get to Omaha is not really necessary.

Absolutely wild finish to the Mississippi State-Auburn game! State scores 4 runs in the bottom of the 9th to win it 5-4, including the game tying run on a throwing error with 2 outs. After tying it, State drew a walk and then hit back to back infield singles to plate the 5th run.

The Cards will play Auburn in an elimination game Tuesday at 2pm. After that, #6 national seed Mississippi State gets Vandy at 7pm. . Go Cards!!

Last edited:
Reactions: SoulSr and Deeva
#5 national seed Arkansas is eliminated! #8 Texas Tech survives with the 5-4 victory.

Reactions: Deeva
Michigan shuts out FSU 2-0. The Wolverines are one win away from a berth in the national finals.

FSU is relegated to the loser’s bracket, where they will face Texas Tech in an elimination game on Wednesday.

Thought it was kind of strange Arkansas did not sacrifice bunt in the 9th with runners on 1st and 2nd with no outs. They played straight up and they failed late yet again in the CWS.
Coaches usually have their reasons but given the situation, I think I would have bunted the guys over with no outs. I guess the thought was the guy on 2nd was already in scoring position and a hit likely would have tied the score.

From the El Dorado News-Times:

Van Horn said he considered having Trevor Ezell bunt, but decided to let him swing away with Texas Tech’s infielders charging in at the corners. He said that if Ezell had laid down a sacrifice bunt, Casey Martin might be walked intentionally to set up a double play or strike out — which he did for third time in the game.

“I just didn’t feel good about bunting one of my best hitters,” Van Horn said. “I just felt like the key at-bat was going to be Trevor.”

—-
Definitely a bad call by the coach not to have his lead off hitter (Ezell) sacrifice bunt once the 8 and 9 hitters got on base with nobody out.

Casey Martin bats #2 in the lineup and had already had two extra base hits in the game. So why would you not want your hottest hitter at the plate with one out and the tying and winning runs in scoring position? Even if Texas Tech decides to walk Martin to set up a force play at any base, or a possible double play, you still have your #3 hitter at the plate with the bases loaded and only one out.

Definitely Seems like the coach got greedy there, playing for a big inning, when by far the most important thing was to score the tying run.

From the El Dorado News-Times:

Van Horn said he considered having Trevor Ezell bunt, but decided to let him swing away with Texas Tech’s infielders charging in at the corners. He said that if Ezell had laid down a sacrifice bunt, Casey Martin might be walked intentionally to set up a double play or strike out — which he did for third time in the game.

“I just didn’t feel good about bunting one of my best hitters,” Van Horn said. “I just felt like the key at-bat was going to be Trevor.”

—-
Definitely a bad call by the coach not to have his lead off hitter (Ezell) sacrifice bunt once the 8 and 9 hitters got on base with nobody out.

Casey Martin bats #2 in the lineup and had already had two extra base hits in the game. So why would you not want your hottest hitter at the plate with one out and the tying and winning runs in scoring position? Even if Texas Tech decides to walk Martin to set up a force play at any base, or a possible double play, you still have your #3 hitter at the plate with the bases loaded and only one out.

Definitely Seems like the coach got greedy there, playing for a big inning, when by far the most important thing was to score the tying run.
I see both sides of it. It’s only right if it works and wrong if it doesn’t. The coach knows his players best. Some players not saying Ezzell is one, would think the coach by asking you to bunt, doesn’t have confidence in you to hit. Your confidence in yourself gets questioned and so you don’t execute. Lot to consider. Let a kid swing away and it makes it simple. Some coaches don’t believe in playing for a tie especially if you’re not the home team.

After the Cards eliminated Auburn today, Vandy knocked Mississippi State into a loser’s bracket matchup with UofL tomorrow at 8pm ET. Former UofL assistant Chris Lemonis versus Dan McDonnell!

Last edited:
Reactions: Deeva and nccardfan
With the 4-1 win, Texas Tech eliminated Florida State last night. Tech will need to beat Michigan twice to advance to the CWS finals, while Michigan only needs to win once. The first of those games is scheduled for 2pm ET on Friday, 6/21.

Last edited:
Ok ... I do have to mention this ... just too funny and pathetic to let pass without comment. Inspired by the very nice and respectful Vandy fan who posted here about a week ago, I journeyed to the Auburn Rivals open message board to see if there was any discussion about the baseball game between Auburn and UofL.

There wasn’t ... but sure enough, there was a post from a UK fan (RogerIndy) begging Auburn to beat UofL in the CWS: “Here is your chance to stay alive and to eliminate the dirty birds! Go SEC!”

I thought about responding, but then I realized that the post said all that needed to be said. No one else responded to the post, either!

There are now 5 teams left. Arkansas finished 8th, Auburn 7th, and FSU 6th. Louisville's best finish in the CWS is 5th. We lose tonight and we tie the record. Win, obviously, we are top 4 and set a new record. The year the Cards set their best CWS finish- 2007. Who'd they beat: Mississippi State.

Reactions: Deeva and PushupMan
They are more than capable of winning tonight. Fitzgerald, Wyatt and Binellas must be factors at the plate.

Going to be tough tonight. Mississippi State is top tier this season. We’ll need some breaks. I do like being the home team.

Go Cards!!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT