ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Tournament

There are times under McDonnell where the baserunning plays we attempt to make boggle the mind. The bottom of the 6th in this game is a case in point. Down 2-0 and the runner already in scoring position with just one out, why is Leonard off second base at all, such that he gets tagged out? We need two runs just to tie, so don’t run yourself into an out when we only have 11 outs left in the entire game.

You’ve got to let the meat of your order hit the ball. Don’t take the bat out of Wyatt, Fitzgerald and Binelas’ hands.

Crap!! Poor baserunning decision by Dunn in the bottom of the 8th cost us the chance to have the tying run on 3rd with just one out.

Cards get the rematch with Vandy tomorrow night at 7pm. We will have to beat them twice in a row to advance to the CWS finals. We do get to be the home team against them tomorrow.

Also, Texas Tech versus Michigan at 2pm, with Michigan the home team and needing just one win to advance to the CWS finals.

Last edited:
Beating a good team 3 times is tough. That monkey is on Vandy! Go Cards!

Reactions: zipp
Crap!! Poor baserunning decision by Dunn in the bottom of the 8th cost us the chance to have the tying run on 3rd with just one out.
He was safe but not enough visual evidence. That was definitely a poor decision though. Where was he going? It was a bloop hit that dropped in, it wasn’t going to get past the OF. It all worked out but we made some costly mistakes.

There was a brief incident last night when words were discussed between Wyatt and the Miss St pitcher. Glad it was over quick. I’m sure Wyatt is frustrated. I’m hoping that bloop hit gets him going against Vandy!!
99% of any frustration on his part last night had to be directed at the home plate umpire. I counted 4 pitches at least 6-8” off the plate that were called strikes in his ABs. That guy’s zone was both terrible and inconsistent.

99% of any frustration on his part last night had to be directed at the home plate umpire. I counted 4 pitches at least 6-8” off the plate that were called strikes in his ABs. That guy’s zone was both terrible and inconsistent.
I don’t know about 99% but I get what you’re saying. But he’s 2-13 in Omaha and the announcers mentioned working with his swing since postseason play started.

He’s 9-42 since since post season started against Illinois St. .214 BA

Michigan takes game 1 of the finals with the 7-4 win. Vandy’s starting pitcher (Fellows) was 13-1 on the season but took the loss in this one. Every hitter in the Michigan lineup had at least 1 hit, and Michigan had 14 total hits tonight.

Has there ever been a program with an uglier collection of unis than Vandy? I thought those black with white pinstripes were as bad as I’ve ever seen, and then they break out gerber puréed peas abominations they wore last night.

Turrible.

Reactions: Deeva and earsky
Vandy takes game 2 with the 4-1 win. Strong pitching performance by the Vandy duo tonight, limiting a team that had been very hot at the plate to just 4 hits.

Vandy takes game 2 with the 4-1 win. Strong pitching performance by the Vandy duo tonight, limiting a team that had been very hot at the plate to just 4 hits.
I was wrong about Rocker. I know he has the stuff but I didn’t think he would be able to maintain his mastery on the mound. He’s going to be a star. Would have been interesting if we had won against Vandy to see how we would have done against him. Maybe next year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT