ADVERTISEMENT

LOUISVILLE VS KENTUCKY GAME THREAD- 3:45 CBS

I know Nwora is the star. But once he went off the floor we were taking it to them. When he came back on the floor Kentucky stopped the bleeding.

Enoch was doing what he wanted in the paint, but we went away from him.

I mean Kentucky gave us his game. We had all 3 of their bigs with 4 fouls late. We were about even in free throw attempts. Cal got a tech late. They missed that put back to win the game. They blew a 12 point 2nd half lead. We led most of OT.

It’s one game. We will be fine, but the long term issues is what I will focus on. We were not mentally tough. Calipari had a strategy to take Jordan out of the game, Mack didn’t adjust. Calipari honestly our coached Mack (vomits in my mouth). Our big let Nick Richards have a big game. Kimble had a great game, but Darius, Ryan, and Sam were again no-shows.

Our issue last year was we lacked mental toughness in big games. We should’ve won this game and we didn’t, plain and simple and again lacked the toughness to win the game. That’s how you lose early in March.

Mack’s next step in growth as a coach is closing out and 40 minute focus. Season is still young, we will be OK. But we have to get tougher.
This is a good post and a similar point I made (Not here) referring to Nwora. Take him out of the game (scoring) and make the others step up. Free throws comment as well. Game at Rupp. Neutral floor or Yum, different outcome. Crowd was a factor yesterday too. As much as I hate to say it, Mack has done really well considering situation.

I hate to do it but you have to give Cal some credit for this win. He threw different guys at Nwora that I think really helped keep him off balance (this was predictable). This coupled with a 10 day lay-off and Nwora's inability and/or lack of desire to move without and impact the game in other ways really hurt the Cards. The simplistic set Cal was running for Maxey off the down screen was crazy to watch... Mack never really made any adjustments for it. Little bit of head scratcher.

All that said, you make some (4 or 5 more) free throws and get 1 or 2 key defensive rebounds and the Cards win that game.

It's really a shame to see the Cards lose to this UK team. The team has to move on and get ready for the ACC Conference.

It will be interesting to watch and see if this is or was the game that sparks UK or if it truly was a Super Bowl moment. Their guards as inconsistent and streaky as they are.... are tough to deal with.

Reactions: Mayoman
OH he'll show back up against FSU. Probably drain 10 three pointers and drop 40+ on them.
Jordan just has to become assertive. He can score at every level. He’s taller than most everyone they put on him, so his shot will go uncontested quite a bit.

He has to say “I’m the man and none of you can guard me”

And on games like Saturday when he’s being bottled up, he has to find ways to get others involved and not hurt the team.

Reactions: earsky and Cue Card
And on games like Saturday when he’s being bottled up, he has to find ways to get others involved and not hurt the team.
BINGO!
Easier said than done to this point. It's gonna happen again. Let's see if he grows from this one. It's imperative in a 6 game tournament to help win in other ways when you struggle offensively. Otherwise,you get to watch from the couch.

Reactions: Deeva and Cue Card
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT