ADVERTISEMENT

Let's talk about December 26th at Rupp Arena

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does not make much sense, considering Louisville according to Coach Pitino has always had a "Shaq Stone", "the next Jamal Mashburn", "X player is the best player I've ever coached", to this season's "we have 7-8 NBA guys on our team".

No reason there for the Cards and Rick to go to multiple NIT's.

Can you provide ANY evidence to support your claim that Coach Pitino has ever called any UofL player "Shaq Stone", "the next Jamal Mashburn", or "X player is the best player I've ever coached"?

"We don't consider ourselves a basketball school either"

.....that's rich....and yet another layer of denial.

Since LPT? No.

"Elite program", my a$$...

PS - I hate to burst your happy bubble, but UK has been to 2 Final Fours, and a Runner-Up since then.

I ask another question, what has Louisville done "since LPT's last NIT to Bobby Morris"?

Can you provide ANY evidence to support your claim that Coach Pitino has ever called any UofL player "Shaq Stone", "the next Jamal Mashburn", or "X player is the best player I've ever coached"?

Yes, from his own mouth.

Shaq Stone = what he called Marvin Stone. UK fans had a field day with that back in the day. RIP Marvin Stone however.

"Next Jamal mashburn" = what he called Juan Palacios(sp?). Another field day for UK fans.

"Best player I've ever coached" = what he called Russ Smith

"We have 7-8 NBA players on next year's team" = what he just said around a week ago

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basket...ehanan-his-best-freshman-sin?urn=ncaab-wp5718

"He's as good as any freshman I've coached since (Jamal) Mashburn," Pitino said. "That's about as good a statement I could possibly say. I'm very pleased with his attitude. I'm very pleased with his game, but he is a freshman and he has to learn. Believe me, that is about as high a praise I can give him."

"First of all, Pitino once called underachieving big man Samardo Samuels "maybe the best freshman I've ever coached" early in November 2008, though he did add the caveat that Samuels "doesn't rebound (and) doesn't play defense." Secondly, let's not forget that Pitino has coached some awfully talented freshmen since Mashburn."

Reactions: ArmyWildcat81
Yes, from his own mouth.

Shaq Stone = what he called Marvin Stone. UK fans had a field day with that back in the day. RIP Marvin Stone however.

"Next Jamal mashburn" = what he called Juan Palacios(sp?). Another field day for UK fans.

"Best player I've ever coached" = what he called Russ Smith

"We have 7-8 NBA players on next year's team" = what he just said around a week ago

Links please.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basket...ehanan-his-best-freshman-sin?urn=ncaab-wp5718

"He's as good as any freshman I've coached since (Jamal) Mashburn," Pitino said. "That's about as good a statement I could possibly say. I'm very pleased with his attitude. I'm very pleased with his game, but he is a freshman and he has to learn. Believe me, that is about as high a praise I can give him."

"First of all, Pitino once called underachieving big man Samardo Samuels "maybe the best freshman I've ever coached" early in November 2008, though he did add the caveat that Samuels "doesn't rebound (and) doesn't play defense." Secondly, let's not forget that Pitino has coached some awfully talented freshmen since Mashburn."

Best FRESHMAN does NOT equal BEST PLAYER. Keep searching for links please.

2013 > 2012

4 lottery picks and you get a ff banner...yippee

Slam away at our coach and program if you will, no way on earth I'd trade either for yours.

Pitino's words have been repeated by multiple media outlets. The common denominator, which may be what Army is referring to, is that there have been many references, analogies, etc., to UK or UK players.

Pitino's words have been repeated by multiple media outlets. The common denominator, which may be what Army is referring to, is that there have been many references, analogies, etc., to UK or UK players.

While it is noble of you to attempt to back up what Army said, his claims are embellishments of what was actually said. I assume he is capable of supporting his own claims.

Yes, Pitino's words are frequently repeated in the media, just as Coach Calipari's are. They both love to hear themselves talk and enjoy providing provocative soundbites to keep theirs and the program's name in the news. They are both high profile, highly quotable coaches.

Reactions: OneEarWonder
Since LPT? No.

We don't consider ourselves a basketball school either. Or one that annually plays an in-state Super Bowl.

False.
2002, Rick lost in the 2nd round of the NIT to Temple.
2006, Rick lost in the NIT semifinals to USCjr.
Also, what do you consider Louisville to be, Zipp? A baseball school? I don't see a fancy new arena and a highly paid coach in anything other than basketball. Louisville is a basketball school.

2013 > 2012

4 lottery picks and you get a ff banner...yippee

Slam away at our coach and program if you will, no way on earth I'd trade either for yours.

2013 > 2012? Link?

Calipari has proven to be the better coach.

Calipari's overall record vs Pitino: 21-14
Calipari's record vs Pitino when Cal is the head coach: 15-12
Calipari's record vs Pitino when Cal is an assistant coach: 6-2
Calipari's overall record vs Pitino in college: 15-10
Calipari's record vs Pitino in college when Cal is the head coach: 12-9
Calipari's record vs Pitino in college when Calipari is an assistant coach: 3-1
Calipari's overall record vs Pitino in the NBA: 6-4
Calipari's record vs Pitino in the NBA when Calipari is the head coach: 3-3
Calipari's record vs Pitino in the NBA when Calipari is an assistant coach: 3-1

Pitino's career win percentage: 74.2%
While coaching at Boston University: 64.1%
While coaching at Providence: 64.6%
While coaching at Kentucky: 81.4%
While coaching at Louisville: 74.5%

Calipari's career win percentage: 78.1%
While coaching at UMass: 73.1%
While coaching at Memphis: 78.5%
While coaching at Kentucky: 83.3%

The game is played to prove who does better, and Kentucky under Cal has done better in every facet of the game than Louisville under Rick in the same time span.
Kentucky has more wins, less losses, dominated head to head, sent more players to the NBA, collected more banners, so on and so forth.
There is hardly an argument of who the better coach is.

False.
2002, Rick lost in the 2nd round of the NIT to Temple.
2006, Rick lost in the NIT semifinals to USCjr.
Also, what do you consider Louisville to be, Zipp? A baseball school? I don't see a fancy new arena and a highly paid coach in anything other than basketball. Louisville is a basketball school...
What's false? I asked "since LPT?" The years you're quoting are before 2013. A helluva lotta schools and coaches have gone to the NIT. U of L won it when it was bigger than the NCAA.

One LPT fan needs to read better.

And U of L is an across-the-board athletics powerhouse. It's why we're in the ACC and why the Big XII regrets not taking us. Nobody really looks regretfully at LPT not being in their conference. No P5 conferences anyway.

But you guys got it in spades and basketball and riflery.

"And U of L is an across-the-board athletics powerhouse." ...and somehow is still behind UK in the Director's Cup standings. (I know, I know....it's all because of the rifle team....)

Big news on the conference front, Zipp.... Oklahoma and another un-named Big 12 team are considering moving to the SEC.

While it is noble of you to attempt to back up what Army said, his claims are embellishments of what was actually said. I assume he is capable of supporting his own claims.

He just proved them to you, do facts bother you so? It's not bad to admit when you're wrong.

Reactions: blubo
He just proved them to you, do facts bother you so? It's not bad to admit when you're wrong.

What he PROVED was that your claimed statements were, in fact, your own embellishments of what was actually said. We are still waiting on you to provide the quotes YOU claimed were said. It's okay to admit you embellished the truth to support an agenda. And make no mistake, his links and quotes proved YOUR claims were inaccurate embellishments.

...Big news on the conference front, Zipp.... Oklahoma and another un-named Big 12 team are considering moving to the SEC.
WTF would that have to do with the discussion? No wonder they just got you moving packages.

No need to worry about me, Zipp. You might want to pay attention to see what's going on with the conference you attack at every turn. Adding Oklahoma to the SEC helps the football side of things more than basketball, but what would your reaction be if the other team turns out to be someone like Ok. State, Kansas, ___________?

"Why no talk from you ever on football board"

Told you years ago.... the football I usually watch is mostly played on Sundays.

Yeah, you intentionally never play many. The two best teams on your schedule this past year were from the ACC.

And who won those games? It definitely was not UL or UNC or Notre Dame winner of the ACC.

No need to worry about me, Zipp. You might want to pay attention to see what's going on with the conference you attack at every turn...
Trust me, you're the last slapd!ck I worry about.

Why would I give a rat's a$$ about the Big XII or the SEC? The discussion that you tried to derail was U of L's athletic performance across the board vs. LPT's in basketball and riflery. Understand?

And who won those games? It definitely was not UL or UNC or Notre Dame winner of the ACC.
I'm trying to remember how that logic works with SEC football...

When you don't have to play a week in-week out, murderer's row schedule like the ACC, it's easier.

.....apparently you don't want to talk about the SEC, unless you're using it as your biggest excuse for UK's success....like always.

All I know is that someone said "And U of L is an across-the-board athletics powerhouse", which is the go-to phrase used in attempted 'smack' at UK. The Director's Cup standings say differently.

Wooden also won his first 2 titles with underszed, underrated teams of munchkins, lol, who fast breaked and pressed and simply wore out the legs of opponents. They were also awesome shot makers.

And they also only had to play West Coast teams to make it to the final four. The NCAA tourney is 100 times tougher now than when Wooden was coaching. Only the conference winner could go to the tourney when Wooden was coaching. You never had the best teams in the nation playing in the tourney. What Cal has accomplished is much better than Pitino in half the time that Pitino has been at UL.

"When you don't have to play a week in-week out, murderer's row schedule like the ACC" ...the ACC is as top heavy as anybody, Zipp. Last year's numbers:

Syracuse 18-13
Pitt 19-15
Clemson 16-15
Florida State 17-16
Wake Forest 13-19
Boston College 13-19
Georgia Tech 12-19
Virginia Tech 11-22

That's 8 of the 15 teams in the ACC..... with a collective 119-138 record.

While I have the attention of most of the major UK posters that post here in this one thread, I would ask that all of you that are definitely freely weighing in with your thoughts and opinions, stand up and be counted next time someone on the UK board claims you can't say "hi" over here without getting banned. Quite a few of you are, and have been, posting over here regularly. You may have been edited at times, or warned about certain behaviors, but you ARE still here posting freely. Thanks in advance. :)

Reactions: lkc1234
.....apparently you don't want to talk about the SEC, unless you're using it as your biggest excuse for UK's success....like always...
So, you think Oklahoma's interested in SEC BASKETBALL?

Hardly.

Last edited:
...That's 8 of the 15 teams in the ACC..... with a collective 119-138 record.

2014 SEC Football records:
LSU 8-5
ATM 8-5
Tenn 7-6
USCjr 7-6
Ark 7-6
LPT 5-7
Vandy 3-9

That's 7 of the 14 teams in the SEC... a combined 45-44 record. Your point is?

Would you prefer to talk basketball head to head?
I might if I claimed we were a basketball school, a sport that doesn't get underway for five months. Prefer to stay on topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT