ADVERTISEMENT

Let's talk about December 26th at Rupp Arena

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhavicc

Getting the Hang of It
Dec 15, 2014
Because right now, we're in a bit of a transitional period for interesting news. Let me preface this by saying I'm a UK fan. That much is probably well known. That said, I like to talk basketball, and hear from another point of view. What match-ups in this game intrigue you all the most? How do you all feel about your team next season?
What do you feel like your team's most glaring weakness will be? Discuss. :cool:

Reactions: pervisl
Pretty hard to get a good gauge on this UofL team right now because of all the unknowns. We don't know how Lee and Lewis will adapt and fit into this team and they figure to be pretty integral roles I would think. Don't know how much guys like Mathiang, Onuaku, and Johnson have improved. Also Mitchell, while seemingly quite talented, is an unknown commodity at the college level. Snider looks to be a solid, steady PG though and hope he just keeps improving.

Also, not a shot at UK, but I don't know who you all have on your upcoming team except for a few like Ulis and Poythress so fill us in on what your roster looks like right now.

Just no realistic way to opine what kind of team we will have next year. We will be counting on too much untested talent at this level. We've got size in Mathiang, Mahmoud, Johnson and Onuaku that needs strength on the back line, but little offensive prowess shown so far. It appears we will be counting on the bulk of our scoring from the from front line with Snider, Lewis, Mitchell, and Lee. That will obviously depend on how quickly Lewis, Mitchell, Adel and Lee adapt to Pitino's system. It could be slow start to the year. Our pre-season trip could NOT come in a better year to assimilate the new guys into our system.

Well, here's a slapd!ck who has already formed a strong opinion about U of L guys playing in that game...

"...Players that weren't even interested enough to go to Louisville to earn their degrees, but instead, earned them at Cleveland State or whatever, and will use Louisville as a platform to even get a glance from the NBA scouts, for whatever reason they'll be watching Louisville next season..." - Rhavicc, on catsillustrated.com (May 10, 2015)

Irrespective of the fact that no one commits to his school planning to stay for more than a few months, while playing for a coach who will discredit the school and its fanbase to land kids with a commitment to nothing more than the NBA draft.

Hey, but the OP's nice enough to be interested in our opinions, so let's give them to him.

These LPT clowns think they're fooling somebody.

"Elite program", my a$$...

Last edited:
Everyone posting here has seen this act before. A non UofL fan comes here acting civil wanting to start a discussion all the while trashing the Cards on their own board as if they're invisible to all non UK fans while posting on their board.

Stupid is just stupid.

hey, he learned from the best...steelers2012 (a MOD,even) has numerous "civil' posts on UK's boards; then retreats here and bashes away...sooo pot meet kettle. I accept my ban for speaking against a MOD; but the hypocrisy from some, is beyond laughable.

Just no realistic way to opine what kind of team we will have next year. We will be counting on too much untested talent at this level. We've got size in Mathiang, Mahmoud, Johnson and Onuaku that needs strength on the back line, but little offensive prowess shown so far. It appears we will be counting on the bulk of our scoring from the from front line with Snider, Lewis, Mitchell, and Lee. That will obviously depend on how quickly Lewis, Mitchell, Adel and Lee adapt to Pitino's system. It could be slow start to the year. Our pre-season trip could NOT come in a better year to assimilate the new guys into our system.

I've questioned your frontcourt as well. I think you all should be fine in the backcourt, you're fairly deep there, kinda curious how it looks when two 5th year seniors get brought in, and both were "the man" where they came from. I'm sure it'll work itself out, but it may take a bit to define roles, being that they got used to certain roles in college already. The frontcourt's lack of production last season (barring Harrell) is probably what hurt you all the most. Seems like the rest of your bigs struggle mightily to score. A couple are long enough to be very tough defensively, but it may take them a couple more seasons to have a few tricks up there sleeves to fall back on. Not sure how many come along offensively, but it's a safe bet that at least one will, possibly 2.
What do you think your rotation will look like next season, if you had to project one at this point?

Also, not a shot at UK, but I don't know who you all have on your upcoming team except for a few like Ulis and Poythress so fill us in on what your roster looks like right now.

Totally understandable, truth be told, some UK fans don't know what to expect since the heavy roster turnover and some misses, so I couldn't expect you to know.
Well, Ulis will see a ton of minutes (which I really wished for last season. I loved what the Andrew could bring when he played aggressively, but he didn't start playing that way until late in the season). Ulis has a certain kind of toughness about him that I like. He can play gritty, but he's astoundingly smart when he runs the team. Just doesn't seem to make many bad decisions, and his assist-turnover ratio shows for it. I'll never get tired of the crafty passes and good shots.
Briscoe will likely be the shooting guard. His knack is, and has always been scoring the ball. When he got on the All-American circuit and was surrounded by talented players, he was able to get 7, 8, even 9 assists in those games. I feel good about his ball handling ability (which is very unique to me), and he's shown the ability to make good passes and score in various ways, so I feel very good about our backcourt.
Biggest question on the team will be at the 3 position, again. Not particularly in a bad way. Charles Matthews (6'6 guard, about 180-185#) was a top 15 player in the class of 2016, but when he had his groin injury and sat out, his rankings took a big hit. He decided to sit out his last 2 EYBL seasons and only play high school ball, which kept him anywhere between a 40th and 65th ranking. His slashing, defensive, and passing abilities didn't really take a hit though. He's not really a consistent outside threat, but once you get about 15 feet in, he becomes very dangerous with some of the step back jumpers and high post turnaround jumpers. Some analysts think he's as elite as anybody in the class at beating his man off the bounce and finishing at the rim with both hands.
The other possibility at the 3 is Mulder. A lot of UK fans pessimistic about him because he's from JUCO, but that's about it. 6'5, 190#, 6'10 wingspan, 40+ inch vertical, shot 46% from deep in his JUCO career (the past 2 seasons). Offensively gifted, but his defense will be a question because nobody has really seen that part of his game in action. With his insane athleticism and length though, I don't see why he couldn't be a very good defender. Very good rebounder (about 7 rpg), and a good scorer for his situation (He played on a dominant team in JUCO, was their leading scorer with 17 ppg, the team apparently went about 8 or 9 deep).
You all know about Poythress and Lee already. Lee has said that he's lived in the gym since the Final Four loss. Been working on his game, and trying to get stronger. I'm curious to see if Poythress retains all of his freak athleticism once he has fully recovered. I think Poy can produce well enough offensively, but defense is his calling card. Before his injury last season, he was holding his man to 12.8% FG%, If he continues to defend like that, and can get a solid 10 points, 7 rebounds per game, then he'll be huge for us.
Skal Labissiere has the highest expectations from me. Virtually every recruiting analysts and NBA scout has compared him to Anthony Davis at the same point in their careers (just out of high school, but they consider Labissiere to be more offensively skilled, and consider Davis to be more defensively skilled. He did very well on the All-Star circuit (21 points, 6 rebounds, 6 blocks in 27 minutes at Hoop Summit, 11 points, 12 rebounds, 2 blocks in 19 minutes at Jordan Brand Classic, and 16 points, 16 rebounds, 3 blocks in around 24 minutes in the Ballislife All-American game). He's smooth with his back to the basket, but is incredibly consistent from 18 feet in, and he's comfortable with hitting the 3 from the college 3 point line. His lateral quickness is comparable to WCS, which with his length, gives him a lot of potential for defense all over the floor. Smart player, very eager to learn, so i can't wait to see him in action.
That's a pretty lengthy analysis of the rotation next season. If Jamal Murray decides to go to UK, he'll be in contention to start at the 3, but it could be a couple of months before we hear his decision.
I apologize if the read is unbearably long.

Well, here's a slapd!ck who has already formed a strong opinion about U of L guys playing in that game...

"...Players that weren't even interested enough to go to Louisville to earn their degrees, but instead, earned them at Cleveland State or whatever, and will use Louisville as a platform to even get a glance from the NBA scouts, for whatever reason they'll be watching Louisville next season..." - Rhavicc, on catsillustrated.com (May 10, 2015)

Irrespective of the fact that no one commits to his school planning to stay for more than a few months, while playing for a coach who will discredit the school and its fanbase to land kids with a commitment to nothing more than the NBA draft.

Hey, but the OP's nice enough to be interested in our opinions, so let's give them to him.

These LPT clowns think they're fooling somebody.

On the contrary, zipp. The reason I said that (and I'll own it and won't think twice about it) is because of the number of UofL fans who say the italicized statement above. That does not mean I have formed an opinion on their playing abilities though, it means I have formed an opinion of why they're there, which is irrelevant to this game.
That said, also consider that your coach is hardly fan friendly, and has tried, and will continue to try to land the same exact players that Calipari is landing. If Rick lands one of those players, and they go to the draft after one season, are they simply committed to the draft, or are they L1C4? We don't know their motives either way.

Everyone posting here has seen this act before. A non UofL fan comes here acting civil wanting to start a discussion all the while trashing the Cards on their own board as if they're invisible to all non UK fans while posting on their board.

Stupid is just stupid.

My dislike for Louisville shouldn't keep me from being civilized and hearing things from another perspective when a certain thing interests me, and it won't. If your dislike for a collective fan base keeps you from having a civilized, interesting discussion from anybody a part of that fan base, your ignorance is more glaring than my own. I don't necessarily hate some of you so much as I hate your school, though I won't hesitate to say that I have no care towards some Louisville fans to say the least, but that comes with the territory.

Rhavicc, just 2 comments then you along with the other countless mind numbing trolls will join my ignore list.

1. There is no rational reason to discuss anything with anyone who hates. It's simply a waste of my time. You don't respect anything UofL. I in turn do not respect anything UofK. This is never going to change no matter what you or I post to each other.

2. Nobody reads novels on a mesage board. Try to keep you future posts to those who want to play with you to under 500 words. You might get a better nibble.

Now good bye. You have already been added to my ignore list. I won't be looking at anything you type in response to anything I post so you're wasting your time if you expect any further responses from me.

Reactions: zgrasshopper
Well I would say my feelings are hurt, but they're not.
Anyway, back to the game. Anybody actually want to discuss it?

...On the contrary, zipp. The reason I said that...is because of the number of UofL fans who say the italicized statement above. That does not mean I have formed an opinion on their playing abilities though, it means I have formed an opinion of why they're there, which is irrelevant to this game.

That said, also consider that your coach is hardly fan friendly, and has tried, and will continue to try to land the same exact players that Calipari is landing. If Rick lands one of those players, and they go to the draft after one season, are they simply committed to the draft, or are they L1C4? We don't know their motives either way.

My dislike for Louisville shouldn't keep me from being civilized and hearing things from another perspective when a certain thing interests me, and it won't. If your dislike for a collective fan base keeps you from having a civilized, interesting discussion from anybody a part of that fan base, your ignorance is more glaring than my own. I don't necessarily hate some of you so much as I hate your school, though I won't hesitate to say that I have no care towards some Louisville fans to say the least, but that comes with the territory.
So, an LPT fan questioning why players commit to play at another school doesn't sound just a tad bit hypocritical to you? Or "ignorant", to use your word? I'll guaran-damn-tee you that Pitino ain't promising kids platoon minutes and a quick track to the NBA while, in the process, trashing the importance of playing basketball and attending the school he works for. Oh, and insulting a majority of the fanbase.

Also, find me a bona fide U of L fan who is questioning the motives of the kids coming to play basketball at U of L. As much as I take certain folks to task in this space, I've never seen that. That's schlock from a slapd!ck.

No one gives a damn whether an LPT fan "hates" our school, coach, or players. On your message board, hate is everywhere. It's U of L in numerous threads, Carolina in others, Duke, IU...right down the line. It's just the pervasive LPT siege mentality. But don't expect to come here and have us overlook it. Hate is a strong, deep-rooted emotion, and you don't have a "civil discussion" with emotional people...you don't even try.

Go home.

Last edited:
Reactions: zgrasshopper
I think it's way too early to have an informed opinion about either team. Both teams are facing a lot of turnover and new players for next year. Both coaches will have their teams prepared. This game is always tough... but I think UK has the edge due to depth of talent and home court. If this was at YUM, I would look at it as a tossup.

Rick is a master as preparing his team. Cal is great at getting his guys to play together, but when it fails (ala 2012-2013), then they crumble. Which Cats team shows up? Still a lot to be determined...

hey, he learned from the best...steelers2012 (a MOD,even) has numerous "civil' posts on UK's boards; then retreats here and bashes away...sooo pot meet kettle. I accept my ban for speaking against a MOD; but the hypocrisy from some, is beyond laughable.

Tell you what, if you can quote posts where I "bash away", you won't receive any kind of retribution from me. If not, you are simply flaming and your actions will be addressed.

Last edited:
I've seen Steelers' and Wildcard's posts on the LPT site, to just name a couple guys. They don't bash LPT here--at least, to my liking--and then play all nice guy over there.

I don't condone tiptoe-ing around in the enemy camp, but every poster makes that decision for himself. Tiptoe-ing ain't something I do very well. :)

Not really. Just truth seekers.

So, an LPT fan questioning why players commit to play at another school doesn't sound just a tad bit hypocritical to you? Or "ignorant", to use your word? I'll guaran-damn-tee you that Pitino ain't promising kids platoon minutes and a quick track to the NBA while, in the process, trashing the importance of playing basketball and attending the school he works for. Oh, and insulting a majority of the fanbase.

Also, find me a bona fide U of L fan who is questioning the motives of the kids coming to play basketball at U of L. As much as I take certain folks to task in this space, I've never seen that. That's schlock from a slapd!ck.

No one gives a damn whether an LPT fan "hates" our school, coach, or players. On your message board, hate is everywhere. It's U of L in numerous threads, Carolina in others, Duke, IU...right down the line. It's just the pervasive LPT siege mentality. But don't expect to come here and have us overlook it. Hate is a strong, deep-rooted emotion, and you don't have a "civil discussion" with emotional people...you don't even try.

Go home.

Zipp, you've missed the point once again. Re-read, and try again.

And as far as recruiting goes, I encourage you to watch some of these kids talking about their recruitment. Here recently, one of these 2016 kids that's interested in both UK and UofL, took visits to both, he spoke of his recruitment. He said that when he and Rick talked, Rick was telling him about all the ways that he can fit this kid into his system, and how next year, both of those 5th year seniors will be gone so he'll have a chance to come in and play right away.
Now watch any of the recruits' videos when they talk about going to UK, and they'll talk about how Cal says "If you think you're a 4 year player, don't come here" or "not everybody can play at Kentucky", and how kids will have to prove themselves. Calipari challenges those he recruits, and they like that.
You guaran-damn-tee nothing. You assume and throw around opinions just as you always have. Until the day comes that you sit in Rick's lap while he's recruiting players, it's best that you listen to what the kids say is going on, rather than pretending that you know otherwise.

You all haven't had a OAD, but Rick has recruited them, no less. V.J. King is a possibility, if you all land him, which I'm inclined to believe that you all do. If he is OAD, you wouldn't question his motives for going to Louisville, whether he is just chasing an opportunity for quick minutes and a chance to get in the draft fast? If you would take somebody to task for doing so, then it's just as hypocritical to assume that same thing for UK.

At any rate, it's been fun. Nice talk, as always.

I think it's way too early to have an informed opinion about either team. Both teams are facing a lot of turnover and new players for next year. Both coaches will have their teams prepared. This game is always tough... but I think UK has the edge due to depth of talent and home court. If this was at YUM, I would look at it as a tossup.

Rick is a master as preparing his team. Cal is great at getting his guys to play together, but when it fails (ala 2012-2013), then they crumble. Which Cats team shows up? Still a lot to be determined...

Thanks for the response. I can't imagine why this thread isn't getting more posts on topic like this.
I think it's going to be leaps and bounds more exciting than last year's match-up, but that won't be difficult. I think the guard you guys got from Cleveland State is the real deal too, curious to see how he fares against Ulis. Haven't seen the other one yet. Who all do you expect to be your big scorers next season? If you had to guess now.

Both teams have too many unknowns to predict anything right now. UK has a good class coming in but that doesn't mean they'll play well together, and Louisville will need its backups from last year to improve over the summer.

I'm not a pessamist and I do think by seasons end that UofL will be a top team.
Well I would say my feelings are hurt, but they're not.
Anyway, back to the game. Anybody actually want to discuss it?

LPT fans like Rhavicc hear what they wanna hear. They're told by their head coach that their program and tradition doesn't matter, nor do championships the banners for which are proudly hung from the rafters. All they see are 5-star kids who spend a few months in college and MAY sniff a championship as a side benefit. Although 20+ NBA draft picks the last few years haven't resulted in many of those (banners).

They think L1C4 is a joke because their coach won't go anywhere near the subject. Pitino Lite doesn't respect the school enough. It's just a big paycheck, rubbing elbows with NBA and hip-hop stars, and possibly landing his next gig. The LPT players reflect that--get in and out of Lexington ASAP.

Not sure how any of that gives a slapd!ck the opportunity to look down his nose at another school or player.

Reactions: Cue Card
I dont know what to even think about next seasons team. The only ones to play much were Snider, Onuaku, and Mango. Jaylen, Anas got about is much experience as Mitchell and Adel.Alot will be on the shoulders of Lee and Lewis It will be interesting for sure. I believe the main reason UofL is 1 for 7 against UK is the fact they always have more talent. Wall, Cousins, Bledsoe, Davis, T. Jones , Randle, etc. they just always seem to have too much fire power. I really dont know what they will look like this season. Both teams will be running off limited experience.

Tell you what, if you can quote posts where I "bash away", you won't receive any kind of retribution from me. If not, you are simply flaming and your actions will be addressed.

can't quote. Unable to search before the upgrade. But you were going to UK board, playing nice and then reporting back here and "bashing" away.

In reference to the game on the 26th.... UK by 8 or more. UK's depth at guard and the bigs hitting the glass....too much for uofl.

can't quote. Unable to search before the upgrade. But you were going to UK board, playing nice and then reporting back here and "bashing" away.

You can actually go back to 12/30/2014 (6 months) on the football board and 2/21/2015 (3 months) on the basketball board. Are you telling me that you claim I "bash away" at UK here, but you can't find any quotes to back that claim up in almost 9 months of board posting?

In reference to the game on the 26th.... UK by 8 or more. UK's depth at guard and the bigs hitting the glass....too much for uofl.

There is simply no basis on which to agree or disagree with your prediction. Way too far off and way too many questions to be answered...on both sides.

How deep is that guard depth? We have depth at guard too. As for the "bigs" this will be the first time since Calipari has been at UK that we won't be outsized, we very well could pound UK inside IF our bigs get physically stronger than they were this past season. This will be Pitino's lengthiest team at UofL, still a lot of time before this game is played.

Here is prediction UL will be a better offensive team than they were last yearand shoot and convert 3 pointers at a higher percentage.

"How deep is that guard depth?"
Ulis, Briscoe, Matthews, Mulder, Hawkins (...and possibly Murray)

Bigs: Poythress (6'8), Labissierre (6'11), Lee (6-10), Willis (6'9) (...and possibly Tai Wynyard (6'9) if he joins the team in December)

Once again, a uk fan counting Skal as part of the rotation and overlooking the DEEEEEEEP rooted and festering wart he has for a handler. I'll say it in yet another thread I guess. If that kid is eligible to play college ball, Cal scraped a few dead bodies under his rug to make that happen. He has to step pretty high to get over the hump in his office.

He just graduated high school over the weekend and Sandy Bell has said she sees nothing in the way of his eligibility. If anything should erase any doubts you have about him being eligible, it's the word of Sandy Bell.

We have guards/wings too
Snyder, Lewis, Mitchell, Lee, Adel

Bigs
Stalkman 7'1"
Mahmoud 7'0"
Onuaku 6'10"
Mathiang 6'10"
Spaulding 6'10"
Johnson 6'9"
"How deep is that guard depth?"
Ulis, Briscoe, Matthews, Mulder, Hawkins (...and possibly Murray)

Bigs: Poythress (6'8), Labissierre (6'11), Lee (6-10), Willis (6'9) (...and possibly Tai Wynyard (6'9) if he joins the team in December)

We have guards/wings too

Bigs
Stalkman 7'1"
Mahmoud 7'0"
Onuaku 6'10"
Mathiang 6'10"
Spaulding 6'10"
Johnson 6'9"

....forgive me if I don't see anything scary in that group. Being tall is one thing. Being tall AND skilled is another. Spaulding might be the best of the group.

I dont know what to even think about next seasons team. The only ones to play much were Snider, Onuaku, and Mango. Jaylen, Anas got about is much experience as Mitchell and Adel.Alot will be on the shoulders of Lee and Lewis It will be interesting for sure. I believe the main reason UofL is 1 for 7 against UK is the fact they always have more talent. Wall, Cousins, Bledsoe, Davis, T. Jones , Randle, etc. they just always seem to have too much fire power. I really dont know what they will look like this season. Both teams will be running off limited experience.

Experience means a lot in basketball. The experience of elite teams can outgun young talent sometimes, but I don't know that Louisville matches up well with UK's playing style naturally. Louisville thrives on tough perimeter defense. It gets a lot of turnovers, and should get a lot of points, either in the primary transition (guard taking it to the rim), or the secondary, given that the primary option is taken away (kick it out for 3, which Louisville is usually good at).
When you take that away from Louisville, by getting it to the bigs, guards quickly utilizing dribble penetration, bigs setting screens on guards out to mid-range and out on the perimeter, it takes away from the points that they typically get from their defensive guard-play.
Louisville has beaten a lot of talented teams, with players that get numbers like UK players (albeit, UK's players are often better NBA prospects than some of those teams), but I believe it's UK's style that gives Louisville issues. Maybe that's one reason why Rick went with so many defensive post players on his roster. Better chance to take something away from UK down low.

How deep is that guard depth? We have depth at guard too. As for the "bigs" this will be the first time since Calipari has been at UK that we won't be outsized, we very well could pound UK inside IF our bigs get physically stronger than they were this past season. This will be Pitino's lengthiest team at UofL, still a lot of time before this game is played.

Both teams are deep at guard. I'm curious about this area of the game, really. Much more intriguing to me than the post player match-ups. Specifically Ulis vs Lewis. Ulis has locked down some very good point guards (Kris Dunn from Providence probably being the best that he locked down), and Lewis is a good scorer. Both shoot it very well, both are quick. Unsure of Lewis' defense though. If I remember correctly, he plays very energized and tried to get up in his man close.
You all were actually not outsized in the post in 2012. Anthony Davis was our center, and he was 6'10, 220#. Terrence Jones was probably about 2-3 inches taller than Behanan. Skal is 7'0, 220# right now (but has visibly been bulking up in the past year. He was about 6'10, 200# a year ago), Poythress is 6'8, 245#, and if the Tai Wynyard kid comes during December like he's considering, at age 17, he's 6'10, 263#. Lee is also around 6'9, 229# with a 7'3 wingspan at this time as well. Also consider that all of those players, minus Wynyard are insane athletes. All are fast, all have a very high vertical, all are agile. It will be a while before the game is played, but also consider, Kentucky's big men are also getting stronger. Will be fun to see nonetheless.

Once again, a uk fan counting Skal as part of the rotation and overlooking the DEEEEEEEP rooted and festering wart he has for a handler. I'll say it in yet another thread I guess. If that kid is eligible to play college ball, Cal scraped a few dead bodies under his rug to make that happen. He has to step pretty high to get over the hump in his office.

I can guarantee you that Skal will be eligible, and he shouldn't be ineligible at any rate. That story came out immediately after Skal committed to UK (not Memphis, like expected), no substance to the writer's claim, wouldn't matter if the scumbag did ask how he could profit from Skal because there's no profit to show for it, and Skal is in high academic standing at a school known for academics.
Sorry man, but he's going to be eligible.

We have guards/wings too

Bigs
Stalkman 7'1"
Mahmoud 7'0"
Onuaku 6'10"
Mathiang 6'10"
Spaulding 6'10"
Johnson 6'9"

Is it weird that I see Spaulding as the best one? Just my opinion too. A lot of raw length in there. Of the returning players, no superb athletes, nor basketball players. Mahmoud probably has the most potential of them all to turn into something good. That said, whoever plays against Skal will have their hands very full. Probably the most skilled big man offensively to come through UK, very lengthy and tall, incredible athlete.
I wouldn't be surprised if Spaulding is a starter next year though.

I understand that you're a UK fan and don't keep up with Louisville the same way you do UK, I will tell you now that Jaylen Johnson will be a stud this season. Skai is good, who backs him up though? Lee? I don't think we win in rupp in December but I really think next years Louisville team will be a force in March. Poythress is an athlete first player, how will his injury affect that? A lot of unknowns for both teams imo.

Reactions: earsky
....forgive me if I don't see anything scary in that group. Being tall is one thing. Being tall AND skilled is another. Spaulding might be the best of the group.
Who on UK's roster is "tall AND skilled"? Marcus Lee? Alex Poythress? I'm afraid not. I like both of those players, but both are limited offensively and I don't know where the individual scoring will come from in UK's frontcourt next year. Maybe Skal, but he's not part of the roster yet. Most of UK's frontcourt scoring is going to come from Tyler Ulis next year. I love his game, and he's the main reason I think UK holds the advantage in this matchup. He's a true point that will make sure everyone gets involved. He'll get easy looks for those frontcourt players to finish, but they're not going to create on their own like Randle and Towns.

For the first time since Cal has been at UK, we actually know more about UK than we do UofL. Quentin Snider is the only returning player I have a good feel for, but PG is the most important position and I trust Snider with the ball in his hands. We'll have some nice perimeter threats with Lee and Lewis, but they're big unknowns and have a lot to learn defensively. Mark my words, Donnovan Mithcell will be the best freshman guard UofL has seen since Reece Gaines. There's an opening for him, and his defense will keep him on the court. UofL's frontcourt is very deep, but whether there's any talent is still a question. It's strange that the 2 UK fans think Spalding will be the best frontcourt player next year. He will barely see the court (you can write that down). I expect Johnson and Onuaku to be our 2 best frontcourt players, with Mahmoud as the 3rd and Mathiang as the token starter and energy guy. We have height and a ton of fouls to give, but guys are going to have to develop significantly for UofL to be a consistent top 25 team next year. Onuaku has the size. Mathiang has the energy. Mahmoud has the skill and IQ. I'd love to consolidate those guys into one great center.

I understand that you're a UK fan and don't keep up with Louisville the same way you do UK, I will tell you now that Jaylen Johnson will be a stud this season. Skai is good, who backs him up though? Lee? I don't think we win in rupp in December but I really think next years Louisville team will be a force in March. Poythress is an athlete first player, how will his injury affect that? A lot of unknowns for both teams imo.

I may have to give him a look. He didn't get much airtime that I seen from last season, but like ya said, I don't keep up with Louisville nearly as much as UK.
Skal may get 32-35 MPG though. His backup may be Lee, but also consider that Lee, while raw, does have a skill to bank on, and that skill was the reason that UK went to the title game 2 seasons ago. Not a physically imposing guy, but he is an elite athlete with a lot of length, terrific shot blocker, and he has a nose for the ball.

Who on UK's roster is "tall AND skilled"? Marcus Lee? Alex Poythress? I'm afraid not. I like both of those players, but both are limited offensively and I don't know where the individual scoring will come from in UK's frontcourt next year. Maybe Skal, but he's not part of the roster yet. Most of UK's frontcourt scoring is going to come from Tyler Ulis next year. I love his game, and he's the main reason I think UK holds the advantage in this matchup. He's a true point that will make sure everyone gets involved. He'll get easy looks for those frontcourt players to finish, but they're not going to create on their own like Randle and Towns.

For the first time since Cal has been at UK, we actually know more about UK than we do UofL. Quentin Snider is the only returning player I have a good feel for, but PG is the most important position and I trust Snider with the ball in his hands. We'll have some nice perimeter threats with Lee and Lewis, but they're big unknowns and have a lot to learn defensively. Mark my words, Donnovan Mithcell will be the best freshman guard UofL has seen since Reece Gaines. There's an opening for him, and his defense will keep him on the court. UofL's frontcourt is very deep, but whether there's any talent is still a question. It's strange that the 2 UK fans think Spalding will be the best frontcourt player next year. He will barely see the court (you can write that down). I expect Johnson and Onuaku to be our 2 best frontcourt players, with Mahmoud as the 3rd and Mathiang as the token starter and energy guy. We have height and a ton of fouls to give, but guys are going to have to develop significantly for UofL to be a consistent top 25 team next year. Onuaku has the size. Mathiang has the energy. Mahmoud has the skill and IQ. I'd love to consolidate those guys into one great center.

We can say Skal will be the go-to scorer in the frontcourt for UK, because he's going to be on the roster. If we're going to be technical, since no player is guaranteed a scholarship for more than one season, both teams have 0 players on the roster as of today. We can agree that a lot of points will come from lobs, but that's fairly typical for UK teams. Ulis' point guard skills will definitely set up our guys for the best position to score, I have complete trust in his abilities.

In fairness, to your "They're not going to create on their own like Randle and Towns" sentiment, last season, many here also said "They don't have anybody that can create like Randle", and it ended up being Towns, despite him being pretty soft in the post for about half of the season. Skal is a kid who did incredibly well on the all-star circuit, well enough to become the top recruit in the country. You don't get there if you're not able to create points for yourself.

I like Mitchell's game. I would like to see he and Briscoe go at it because of the beef they have with each other, but it may not happen. I wonder a lot about who you all may go with at the guard positions. Do you take Snider, the hometown kid that led Louisville to an Elite 8, or do you go with Mitchell, your highly ranked guard recruit? Maybe the somewhat proven commodity, Trey Lewis, who brings in experience, but it's from a different program, where he was "the man".
Then you have your other guard position. It goes both ways though, we still have no clue who our 3 man will be. As of right now, it's between Charles Matthews and Mychal Mulder. There's a fairly strong possibility that UK picks up Jamal Murray, and if they do, I feel like he wins that position (being that he's 6'6, pretty athletic, and scores the ball well all over the floor).

EDIT: It should be mentioned that Poythress is more of a defensive big man. He'll average around 10 points, 7 rebounds per game next season (if he's healthy), but he would have possibly been the defensive player of the year, rather than WCS, if he didn't get injured. He was holding his man to 12.8% FG% up to that point, he plays passing lanes, makes rundown blocks, and can even block shots in the half court.

Because right now, we're in a bit of a transitional period for interesting news. Let me preface this by saying I'm a UK fan. That much is probably well known. That said, I like to talk basketball, and hear from another point of view. What match-ups in this game intrigue you all the most? How do you all feel about your team next season?
What do you feel like your team's most glaring weakness will be? Discuss. :cool:

I know this is a hoops board ... but I've got college baseball to focus on now, and then college football ... We will have a pre-season "over-seas" hoops trip to watch, which will give us an idea of how next year's hoops team will be. Until then, there's not much substance to bring to this type of discussion.

Check back with us in late August. That's when I'll have any opinion worth discussing.

Experience means a lot in basketball. The experience of elite teams can outgun young talent sometimes, but I don't know that Louisville matches up well with UK's playing style naturally. Louisville thrives on tough perimeter defense. It gets a lot of turnovers, and should get a lot of points, either in the primary transition (guard taking it to the rim), or the secondary, given that the primary option is taken away (kick it out for 3, which Louisville is usually good at).
When you take that away from Louisville, by getting it to the bigs, guards quickly utilizing dribble penetration, bigs setting screens on guards out to mid-range and out on the perimeter, it takes away from the points that they typically get from their defensive guard-play.
Louisville has beaten a lot of talented teams, with players that get numbers like UK players (albeit, UK's players are often better NBA prospects than some of those teams), but I believe it's UK's style that gives Louisville issues. Maybe that's one reason why Rick went with so many defensive post players on his roster. Better chance to take something away from UK down low.

Both teams are deep at guard. I'm curious about this area of the game, really. Much more intriguing to me than the post player match-ups. Specifically Ulis vs Lewis. Ulis has locked down some very good point guards (Kris Dunn from Providence probably being the best that he locked down), and Lewis is a good scorer. Both shoot it very well, both are quick. Unsure of Lewis' defense though. If I remember correctly, he plays very energized and tried to get up in his man close.
You all were actually not outsized in the post in 2012. Anthony Davis was our center, and he was 6'10, 220#. Terrence Jones was probably about 2-3 inches taller than Behanan. Skal is 7'0, 220# right now (but has visibly been bulking up in the past year. He was about 6'10, 200# a year ago), Poythress is 6'8, 245#, and if the Tai Wynyard kid comes during December like he's considering, at age 17, he's 6'10, 263#. Lee is also around 6'9, 229# with a 7'3 wingspan at this time as well. Also consider that all of those players, minus Wynyard are insane athletes. All are fast, all have a very high vertical, all are agile. It will be a while before the game is played, but also consider, Kentucky's big men are also getting stronger. Will be fun to see nonetheless.

I can guarantee you that Skal will be eligible, and he shouldn't be ineligible at any rate. That story came out immediately after Skal committed to UK (not Memphis, like expected), no substance to the writer's claim, wouldn't matter if the scumbag did ask how he could profit from Skal because there's no profit to show for it, and Skal is in high academic standing at a school known for academics.
Sorry man, but he's going to be eligible.

Is it weird that I see Spaulding as the best one? Just my opinion too. A lot of raw length in there. Of the returning players, no superb athletes, nor basketball players. Mahmoud probably has the most potential of them all to turn into something good. That said, whoever plays against Skal will have their hands very full. Probably the most skilled big man offensively to come through UK, very lengthy and tall, incredible athlete.
I wouldn't be surprised if Spaulding is a starter next year though.

Do you mean Reach your Dream Prep? I know that he's attending a school in Memphis at the moment and it's great that he's attending such a good school. But let me just place this here for you to read a little bit more closely: "Since blossoming into what some have called a can't-miss NBA prospect, Labissiere has attended two different high schools and played for three different summer programs, all while Hamilton worked behind the scenes to secure funds for a 501 (c) (3) foundation called Reach Your Dream. Multiple coaches who have recruited Labissiere told CBSSports.com Hamilton either directly indicated or strongly suggested pursuing Labissiere would mostly be a waste of time if they couldn't offer assistance in helping fund his foundation. One coach from a prominent staff said: "We couldn't even get in the door." Another added: "We recognized what it was about early on and decided not to get involved."

By the way, this no-substance writer was Jeff Goodman, whom many uk fans consider a legit source and bumped his preseason poll as being from someone of high character. So which is it? Is he telling lies or are you just pretending this is false to justify how Cal and staff are able to get this kid eligible? No matter how hard you try to discount this article, it is the truth and not going away. He may very well play for uk....no one here would be surprised if that happens. It's how it happens that just keeps stinking like a rotting polecat in the summer sun.

" I know that he's attending a school in Memphis at the moment" .....he graduated from this school this past weekend.

Jeff Goodman.... known UK hater/detractor. Bashed the Harrisons at every turn. Doesn't get much credibility from me.

Whoever the guy is that thinks he's Skal's 'handler' has most likely been given the finger and been told to hit the bricks. His commitment would not have happened if he was in the picture. Sandy Bell is always watching....

Do you mean Reach your Dream Prep? I know that he's attending a school in Memphis at the moment and it's great that he's attending such a good school. But let me just place this here for you to read a little bit more closely: "Since blossoming into what some have called a can't-miss NBA prospect, Labissiere has attended two different high schools and played for three different summer programs, all while Hamilton worked behind the scenes to secure funds for a 501 (c) (3) foundation called Reach Your Dream. Multiple coaches who have recruited Labissiere told CBSSports.com Hamilton either directly indicated or strongly suggested pursuing Labissiere would mostly be a waste of time if they couldn't offer assistance in helping fund his foundation. One coach from a prominent staff said: "We couldn't even get in the door." Another added: "We recognized what it was about early on and decided not to get involved."

By the way, this no-substance writer was Jeff Goodman, whom many uk fans consider a legit source and bumped his preseason poll as being from someone of high character. So which is it? Is he telling lies or are you just pretending this is false to justify how Cal and staff are able to get this kid eligible? No matter how hard you try to discount this article, it is the truth and not going away. He may very well play for uk....no one here would be surprised if that happens. It's how it happens that just keeps stinking like a rotting polecat in the summer sun.

He's always attended an actual school. Reach Your Dream Prep is his AAU team, it's not a school. The reason he couldn't play high school ball is because he transferred from his old high school to Lausanne Collegiate School, so that's how the Reach Your Dream Prep AAU team came to be. Ya know, for starters.
Secondly, just because an article is written does not make it true. If you believe that all articles are true, you're in for a world of disappointment. Aside from that, does marble mouth even have any real substance to the article other than "well, he said"? If so, I don't see it.
Isn't that how the whole Anthony Davis rumor started too? An article was posted that he took $200,000? Too bad that ended up being false as well. Goodman is incredibly opinionated, and really, it's well known that he isn't a fan of UK. Had Skal gone to Memphis, this article probably wouldn't have came-to-be, but that's besides the point.

I'll try to stay on topic and reply in terms that an LPT fan can understand...

My guess is that the game down I-64 this year will have some of the same elements. One school will play like it's their annual Super Bowl. Which will again be understandable considering the quality of most of the teams on its schedule.

But since their talent will be way down this year--only a few NBA draft picks--it remains to be seen whether the sideshow of playing basketball games can capture enough of their players' attention from the real purpose in being there, impressing the NBA scouts for the upcoming draft.

I guess it will come down to how much coaching is required from Pitino Lite.

"Elite program" my a$$...

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT