ADVERTISEMENT

Historical U of L Head Coaching Hires...

Status
Not open for further replies.

zipp

Elite Member
Jun 26, 2001
This is an interesting chart dating back to the start of Jurich's tenure as AD thru Tyra's first full year. The title footnotes the total for Jurich in his 20+ years. The right bar is likewise the total since Tyra became AD.

I had to compile the data from various sources. If anyone sees an error, let me know...

U%20of%20L%20Head%20Coaching%20Hires_zpsag7mhkgn.jpg

Anyone wanna talk about, oh I don't know, the numbers?

Jurich didn't reach six coaches until six years after succeeding Bill Olsen...

The relevance?
We had assembled the best portfolio of coaches in school history. Fortunately, two of the best--Walz and McDonnell--are still on board for how long we don't know.

There was concern that without Jurich, there was a high risk of losing many of these coaches. Some assured that wouldn't happen; now, it's starting to appear those assurances were unfounded.

And obviously, "Vince" has no experience hiring college coaches. Every time he does is a dice roll.

Thanks for the question...

We had assembled the best portfolio of coaches in school history. Fortunately, two of the best--Walz and McDonnell--are still on board for how long we don't know.

There was concern that without Jurich, there was a high risk of losing many of these coaches. Some assured that wouldn't happen; now, it's starting to appear those assurances were unfounded.

And obviously, "Vince" has no experience hiring college coaches. Every time he does is a dice roll.

3 of those positions were must fires (Rick and Bobby and the Women’s LAX coach) so you’re kinda cherry picking the numbers. Plus many were unhappy with the softball coach as well.

3 of those positions were must fires (Rick and Bobby and the Women’s LAX coach) so you’re kinda cherry picking the numbers. Plus many were unhappy with the softball coach as well.
"Cherry picking?"

Two months after being hired, Jurich didn't have to fire Ron Cooper after his one win season?

That's the caveat trying to analyze and rationalize every data point. It is what it is...

"Cherry picking?"

Two months after being hired, Jurich didn't have to fire Ron Cooper after his one win season?

That's the caveat trying to analyze and rationalize every data point. It is what it is...
You’re trying to build a narrative that good coaches don’t want to work with Tyra. That is just factually untrue. It is clear over the last 2 years that Bobby Petrino was only an offensive coordinator. He was fired because he could not meet the standards of our program. Rick was fired for failure to monitor his assistants and possibly taking part in a pay for play violation along with the stripper issue. The women’s LAX coach was fired because she lost the team and possibly abused them if I remember correctly. The softball program was dead in the water. Your financial numbers usually have merit. I’m just gonna have to throw a bull crap flag on this one.

He hired the ACC softball coach of the year. He hired a big east champ number 1 seed rising star coach, and he hired a 3 time consecutive conference champion in football. I think these coaches are talented in their own right.

You’re trying to build a narrative that good coaches don’t want to work with Tyra. That is just factually untrue. It is clear over the last 2 years that Bobby Petrino was only an offensive coordinator. He was fired because he could not meet the standards of our program. Rick was fired for failure to monitor his assistants and possibly taking part in a pay for play violation along with the stripper issue. The women’s LAX coach was fired because she lost the team and possibly abused them if I remember correctly. The softball program was dead in the water. Your financial numbers usually have merit. I’m just gonna have to throw a bull crap flag on this one.

He hired the ACC softball coach of the year. He hired a big east champ number 1 seed rising star coach, and he hired a 3 time consecutive conference champion in football. I think these coaches are talented in their own right.
I'm not building any narrative--the numbers speak for themselves.

And pointing out who "Vince" HIRED is irrelevant, even if he was making great hires. He wouldn't be hiring anyone if he wasn't losing coaches...

I'm not building any narrative--the numbers speak for themselves.

And pointing out who "Vince" HIRED is irrelevant, even if he was making great hires. He wouldn't be hiring anyone if he wasn't losing coaches...
Losing coaches and firing coaches that deserve to be fired are not the same thing. That’s all I’m trying to say. The numbers don’t mean anything when what you’re trying to use them for is a farse.

Losing coaches and firing coaches that deserve to be fired are not the same thing. That’s all I’m trying to say. The numbers don’t mean anything when what you’re trying to use them for is a farse.
It's a "farse" because that how you wanna view them. It's just your opinion. The numbers say what they say...

Every time anyone hires a coach it’s a dice roll. Weird thread

I’ve seen hero worship come in a lot of forms. Hell, I love Metallica. But an athletic director? That’s something else. Lol

Reactions: UKRob 73
Every time anyone hires a coach it’s a dice roll. Weird thread
Not necessarily... For a guy with a great track record at hiring coaches, it involves less risk. OTOH we have "Vince".
I’ve seen hero worship come in a lot of forms. Hell, I love Metallica. But an athletic director? That’s something else. Lol
I wish people would quit talking about the last guy. I like talking about the new guy...

Does anyone have another dead horse to give Zipp? He's pulverized this one.
That's the same argument every time more data enter the picture leading to the same conclusion. It's not the same horse, it's the same glue...

The numbers don’t say anything on their own. They require interpretation. You’ve chosen to interpret them in a particular way which supports your disdain for anything not Tom Jurich. You need to look deeper.
Interpret them for me...

Not necessarily... For a guy with a great track record at hiring coaches, it involves less risk. OTOH we have "Vince".

I wish people would quit talking about the last guy. I like talking about the new guy...

You're the 1 that brought up the other guy, jeez

Interpret them for me...
People already have and you don't like their interpretation.

Pitino fired had to happen no different than Jurich firing Crum. Both hired top notch replacements.
Petrino fired had to happen no different than letting Cooper go. New hire is widely respected time will tell.
Lacrosse coach fired for cause had to happen.
Softball coach retired wasn't doing much with the program, hired a good replacement in paper 19 years is a long time and maybe Vince didn't like the direction. No issue and not a Jurich factor.
Golf coach sounds like she was ready to be a stay at home mom which is terrific in today's society.

You have one coach to date that you can reasonably say Jurich was a factor. Yes, Waltz and McDonald could be next, but again that isn't anything that Vince can control. If those two are that close to Jurich and blame Vince or do not believe in Vince then they need to go.

How many times have we heard, nationally, this coach isn't going to make it because the new AD didn't hire him especially in basketball and football....all the time. It is common for turnover to occur in the first year or two of a program especially when those 2 programs merited change anyway. Again no different than what Jurich did with Crum and Cooper.

Reactions: Art79
That's the same argument every time more data enter the picture leading to the same conclusion. It's not the same horse, it's the same glue...

. Any research should be anti bias. While your research may be factual, the outcome or summary for you seems to be wholly biased, on your part. You made the graph with a bias and you report it as fact without checking your bias.
Very few people, knowing the facts, will look at those numbers and come to the conclusion that this is a sign of a weak or incompetent AD (Tyra) which I believe is your goal. I think the overwhelming amount of fans will look at your chart and say, He actually made a chart? A chart that supports his opinion. Supports what he says, day after day already. Bless your heart.

People already have and you don't like their interpretation.

Pitino fired had to happen no different than Jurich firing Crum. Both hired top notch replacements.
Petrino fired had to happen no different than letting Cooper go. New hire is widely respected time will tell.
Lacrosse coach fired for cause had to happen.
Softball coach retired wasn't doing much with the program, hired a good replacement in paper 19 years is a long time and maybe Vince didn't like the direction. No issue and not a Jurich factor.
Golf coach sounds like she was ready to be a stay at home mom which is terrific in today's society.

You have one coach to date that you can reasonably say Jurich was a factor. Yes, Waltz and McDonald could be next, but again that isn't anything that Vince can control. If those two are that close to Jurich and blame Vince or do not believe in Vince then they need to go.

How many times have we heard, nationally, this coach isn't going to make it because the new AD didn't hire him especially in basketball and football....all the time. It is common for turnover to occur in the first year or two of a program especially when those 2 programs merited change anyway. Again no different than what Jurich did with Crum and Cooper.
That's rationalizing data points, I'd argue, just to fit a "Vince" narrative. Maybe you don't understand data analysis. They are what they are. They're not ALL outliers.

You bring up Jurich's arrival...same circumstances. He was dealing with a group of coaches that he didn't hire or knew. Some were performing well and others poorly. What were his metrics the first few years? He replaced six coaches in six years. "Vince" has replaced that many in his FIRST year.

And Jurich inherited coaches that Bill Olsen hired. All Olsen cared about was banking money from basketball, which he did admirably. No one questions that. But he didn't set up his successor with great coaches.

The other element that undermines data rationalization was a key concern many had about "Vince" in this role...retaining our portfolio of coaches. That was, in fact, theorized as an eventual problem. And what's happened? He's losing them.

article-2525602-1A2B2A3600000578-553_634x408.jpg

. Any research should be anti bias. While your research may be factual, the outcome or summary for you seems to be wholly biased, on your part. You made the graph with a bias and you report it as fact without checking your bias.
Very few people, knowing the facts, will look at those numbers and come to the conclusion that this is a sign of a weak or incompetent AD (Tyra) which I believe is your goal. I think the overwhelming amount of fans will look at your chart and say, He actually made a chart? A chart that supports his opinion. Supports what he says, day after day already. Bless your heart.
Explain to me how you bias raw data? I took the time to research the data, did you?...

Word 12 of 1st post in thread by OP - Jurich's
Word 13 of 1st post in thread by OP - Tenure
I'll be glad to sanitize the OP of "Jurich". Will that change the data? Let me know how you want it presented. My guess is you simply don't want it presented. I understand that...

When a program has been run with a win at all costs attitude I hardly find it shocking that it's going through a house cleaning period.

We aren't going to get fooled again. The new boss isn't the same as the old boss, thankfully.

[Since some folks are evidently a little paranoid on behalf of the current AD, I've reformatted the OP to focus on the central issue...]

This is an interesting chart dating back about twenty years and including Tyra's first full year on the job. I had to compile the data from various sources. If anyone sees an error, let me know...

U%20of%20L%20Head%20Coaching%20Hires%20-%20EDITED_zpsdpm9cq3r.jpg

That's rationalizing data points, I'd argue, just to fit a "Vince" narrative. Maybe you don't understand data analysis. They are what they are. They're not ALL outliers.

You bring up Jurich's arrival...same circumstances. He was dealing with a group of coaches that he didn't hire or knew. Some were performing well and others poorly. What were his metrics the first few years? He replaced six coaches in six years. "Vince" has replaced that many in his FIRST year.

And Jurich inherited coaches that Bill Olsen hired. All Olsen cared about was banking money from basketball, which he did admirably. No one questions that. But he didn't set up his successor with great coaches.

The other element that undermines data rationalization was a key concern many had about "Vince" in this role...retaining our portfolio of coaches. That was, in fact, theorized as an eventual problem. And what's happened? He's losing them.

article-2525602-1A2B2A3600000578-553_634x408.jpg

It’s actually possible to look at each notch on the bar graph and discuss the reasoning for the departure. We aren’t dealing in large amounts of data. However you refuse to that because you are trying to make some sweeping judgement to fit your narrative. Fortunately most everyone on here is intelligent enough to see what you are trying to do “Zipp”.

Explain to me how you bias raw data? I took the time to research the data, did you?...
Pretty simple actually. You gave raw data like there were zero factors except who the AD was. When in actuality there were factors to consider. Tyra had to hire a basketball coach. This was brought on by demise of the last regime. He had to hire a football coach, with an unreasonable contract, again, somewhat due to the last regime. I can go on but you have your agenda, as weak as it is, and what I say will not change anything for you.

Reactions: JCBLUECATNC
I'll be glad to sanitize the OP of "Jurich". Will that change the data? Let me know how you want it presented. My guess is you simply don't want it presented. I understand that...

The data is inconsequential to me - I don't mind if you do or don't present it - or how you present it.

Nowhere in my post did I share a position on the topic - and I really haven't shared an opinion on AD topics in any other thread - so you have no evidence to support that I do or don't want any data about it presented.

It's all a non-starter for me. Sorry man!

Reactions: Rogersjn2027
It’s actually possible to look at each notch on the bar graph and discuss the reasoning for the departure. We aren’t dealing in large amounts of data. However you refuse to that because you are trying to make some sweeping judgement to fit your narrative. Fortunately most everyone on here is intelligent enough to see what you are trying to do “Zipp”.
It's always possible to rationalize data beyond simple outliers. It's also NOT what statisticians and people trained in handling data do. How do I know?... I worked alongside them for many years.

Not sure what you consider "large amounts of data". I'd call 28 coaching hires made by U of L over a 22-year span a pretty good data set.

All of this pushback smells like the don't-blame-"Vince" response I expected. To those that applies to, I appreciate your validation....

If Jurichs were still around how many of those same coaching hires would he have also had to make?
Not nearly as many. Jurich was running pretty close to a one-hire-annually clip. He started that way and ended that way...

Last edited:
Pretty simple actually. You gave raw data like there were zero factors except who the AD was. When in actuality there were factors to consider. Tyra had to hire a basketball coach. This was brought on by demise of the last regime. He had to hire a football coach, with an unreasonable contract, again, somewhat due to the last regime. I can go on but you have your agenda, as weak as it is, and what I say will not change anything for you.
Thanks for exemplifying data rationalization again.

And BTW, replacing Pitino wasn't in 2018--that was 2017. This past year DID capture Padgett's replacement and justifiably so. "Vince" thinks it's OK to promote current assistants to full time jobs, or at least he does now having spent $30+ million so far. Replacing Padgett was a conscious decision he made in 2018...

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT