ADVERTISEMENT

Historical U of L Head Coaching Hires...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for exemplifying data rationalization again.

And BTW, replacing Pitino wasn't in 2018--that was 2017. This past year DID capture Padgett's replacement and justifiably so. "Vince" thinks it's OK to promote current assistants to full time jobs, or at least he does now having spent $30+ million so far. Replacing Padgett was a conscious decision he made in 2018...
Yeah. I am sure you are right. Most of your posts contain something that lessens Tyras stature but elevates Jurich. You keep Jurichs picture as your avatar, which is quite creepy. But I understand, no bias on your part.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
Culture ,
LOL... So all of our coaches have become crooks.

River-Nile-1-1024x766.jpg

Yeah. I am sure you are right. Most of your posts contain something that lessens Tyras stature but elevates Jurich. You keep Jurichs picture as your avatar, which is quite creepy. But I understand, no bias on your part.
I wish people would quit talking about Jurich. I love talking about "Vince"...

I wish people would quit talking about Jurich. I love talking about "Vince"...

Yeah, let’s talk about Vince and the circumstances underlying each hiring he’s had to make. You seem to want to take a 10,000ft assessment because it’s the most convenient way to feed your narrative. When the circumstances are easily reviewed at ground level, your narrative just continues to look ridiculous. A figment of “Zipp’s” imagination!

Reactions: Cardiac Red
Yeah, let’s talk about Vince and the circumstances underlying each hiring he’s had to make. You seem to want to take a 10,000ft assessment because it’s the most convenient way to feed your narrative. When the circumstances are easily reviewed at ground level, your narrative just continues to look ridiculous. A figment of “Zipp’s” imagination!
I don't want to take this road, but that's fine if you and others do. Just understand it's a two-way street...

If presenting data is seen as an effort on my part to make "Vince and his circumstances" look bad, your effort to marginalize and suppress that data is simply an effort to make him look good. You're a "Vince" wonk.

At least I've got data to support my position...

I don't want to take this road, but that's fine if you and others do. Just understand it's a two-way street...

If presenting data is seen as an effort on my part to make "Vince and his circumstances" look bad, your effort to marginalize and suppress that data is simply an effort to make him look good. You're a "Vince" wonk.

At least I've got data to support my position...

There’s nothing wrong with your raw data. The refusal to actually analyze the data is your undoing amongst other problems.

My goodness, the forest cant be seen for the trees. Jurich came in to a University in CUSA. The pressures were very low. He also came into a University that was not struggling to regain its shine. He took his time and eventually got the coaches in place that he wanted.

Tyra came in to a University in crisis and it wasn't only the basketball program that was tarnished. I'd be willing to bet that the board wanted fresh starts for many programs, hence the number of hires.

Your data is valid, your overall point is not. Everyone, I mean everyone, knows you're a Jurich fan and a Tyra hater. Molding a narrative around data that is highly relative to external forces isnt necessary.

You simply wouldn't post data that supported Tyra over Jurich.

Just for the record "Zipp", who are the two coaches you cite for 2017 and the six for 2018?

There’s nothing wrong with your raw data. The refusal to actually analyze the data is your undoing amongst other problems.
So how would you analyze the chart? He's hired twice as many coaches in one year as we hired in ANY of the prior twenty...

Just for the record "Zipp", who are the two coaches you cite for 2017 and the six for 2018?
2017: Men's basketball and volleyball
2018: Men's basketball, football, men's soccer, lacrosse, women's golf, and softball

Now, please describe for me all of those unique circumstances...

My goodness, the forest cant be seen for the trees. Jurich came in to a University in CUSA. The pressures were very low. He also came into a University that was not struggling to regain its shine. He took his time and eventually got the coaches in place that he wanted.

Tyra came in to a University in crisis and it wasn't only the basketball program that was tarnished. I'd be willing to bet that the board wanted fresh starts for many programs, hence the number of hires.

Your data is valid, your overall point is not. Everyone, I mean everyone, knows you're a Jurich fan and a Tyra hater. Molding a narrative around data that is highly relative to external forces isnt necessary.

You simply wouldn't post data that supported Tyra over Jurich.
While LPT bends over backward for football money to pump into its programs by multiples of what Jurich had to work with. A slappy wouldn't have a clue about nonrevenue sports management...

So how would you analyze the chart? He's hired twice as many coaches in one year as we hired in ANY of the prior twenty...

6 coaches fired or retired...none of whom will be coaching in equivalent college positions next year. The only one that was curious was Lolla, but if you go by his own words, he feels compelled (by faith) to increase his personal outreach.

6 coaches fired or retired...none of whom will be coaching in equivalent college positions next year. The only one that was curious was Lolla, but if you go by his own words, he feels compelled (by faith) to increase his personal outreach.
That's a straw man...if/where someone's gonna be coaching...and rationalization.

Wait, you're using this data to point a finger at the guy cleaning up a mess, while putting on a pedestal the guy responsible for causing said mess?
Yeah, no bias there.

Reactions: Art79 and bandfan1
Wait, you're using this data to point a finger at the guy cleaning up a mess, while putting on a pedestal the guy responsible for causing said mess?
Yeah, no bias there.
Slappies agreeing with "Vince" supporters.

I rest my case...

Straw man? I think it speaks to either the quality of the coach or their desire to coach. I know you are smarter than this.
Since this stuff matters, who else was recruiting your new AD as AD? I'm having a hard time recalling...

2017: Men's basketball and volleyball
2018: Men's basketball, football, men's soccer, lacrosse, women's golf, and softball

Now, please describe for me all of those unique circumstances...

Well, “Zipp”, I don’t know about your data for the other years, but your data for 2016 - 2018 is, shall we say, not quite accurate. The current women’s volleyball coach, Dani Busboom Kelly was hired on 11/27/2016, not in 2017. The current women’s lacrosse coach, Scott Teeter, was hired on 11/20/2017, not in 2018.

Anyway, “Zipp”, when it gets to analyzing the data, I suppose that if one were to just look at numbers only, your apparent interpretation (that Tyra is hard for coaches to work with and/or wants to jettison Jurich’s hires) could be one plausible explanation. Another plausible explanation could be that the AD before 1997 (Bill Olsen) hired exemplary coaches across the board while some of the next AD's hires left something to be desired. Now remember, you asked me to describe the “unique circumstances” involved, and it’s not always pretty, so here goes…

A closer look at the recent departed coaches provides strong support for the latter theory in regards to 3 of the most recent coaches. First, it’s pretty impossible to deny that Kellie Young shamelessly abused some players, which was public knowledge as early as 2014, and left the program in a mess with much of the team transferring, before Tyra fired her a few weeks after he took over. Jurich’s reaction? As far as we know publicly, he apparently asked her only to tone down her “language” in 2014, but by 2017 the team was in open revolt.

Next, there’s Pitino. The unique circumstance there is that either Jurich decided not to monitor or exert significant control over the basketball program, or else that he tried and was unable to do so. Four “rogue” assistant coaches speaks for itself, with two of them unbelievably going “rogue” AFTER the stripper scandal. Simply put, enough was enough, and that coaching change had to be made. If you want to count Padgett as another change here, ok, but if he hadn’t been let go, then you would have surely complained that Tyra was going cheap.

Then, there’s Petrino. Jurich spoke many times during the Kragthorpe years about what a mess Bobby left the program in, yet he chose to go there again. It took a few years, actually about 2 and a half seasons, but I don’t see how else you can look at it but that many of those same problems came back again, leading to poor team unity and a lack of effort from many players during 2018 and a fractured relationship with the local high school coaches and players.

The next two seem pretty normal: 1) Whitney Crabtree (Women’s Golf) took maternity leave for this past season and now leaves to join her husband as he moves to Chicago for a new job; and 2) Sandy Pearsall (Softball) retired after 19 seasons as head coach to, as she put it, “focus on family and health”. Do you know something about either of those situations to point some finger at Vince, or are you just reaching some preconceived conclusion there?

Finally, there is Ken Lolla. Yes, Lolla has made it clear that he was very close to Jurich, and so maybe that had something to do with his departure, but Lolla has also indicated that he felt called to make a change in his life to be able to help develop people in a different way, very possibly in some type of faith/religious calling.

Reactions: Knucklehank1
Typical “Zipp” strategy. Pivots to the deflection defense. Pitino would be proud...you lead this board in deflections.
You mean who else would hire a coach "Vince" kicks to the curb? That's on topic?

As I asked, how's the air up there?...

Well, “Zipp”, I don’t know about your data for the other years, but your data for 2016 - 2018 is, shall we say, not quite accurate. The current women’s volleyball coach, Dani Busboom Kelly was hired on 11/27/2016, not in 2017. The current women’s lacrosse coach, Scott Teeter, was hired on 11/20/2017, not in 2018.

Anyway, “Zipp”, when it gets to analyzing the data, I suppose that if one were to just look at numbers only, your apparent interpretation (that Tyra is hard for coaches to work with and/or wants to jettison Jurich’s hires) could be one plausible explanation. Another plausible explanation could be that the AD before 1997 (Bill Olsen) hired exemplary coaches across the board while some of the next AD's hires left something to be desired. Now remember, you asked me to describe the “unique circumstances” involved, and it’s not always pretty, so here goes…

A closer look at the recent departed coaches provides strong support for the latter theory in regards to 3 of the most recent coaches. First, it’s pretty impossible to deny that Kellie Young shamelessly abused some players, which was public knowledge as early as 2014, and left the program in a mess with much of the team transferring, before Tyra fired her a few weeks after he took over. Jurich’s reaction? As far as we know publicly, he apparently asked her only to tone down her “language” in 2014, but by 2017 the team was in open revolt.

Next, there’s Pitino. The unique circumstance there is that either Jurich decided not to monitor or exert significant control over the basketball program, or else that he tried and was unable to do so. Four “rogue” assistant coaches speaks for itself, with two of them unbelievably going “rogue” AFTER the stripper scandal. Simply put, enough was enough, and that coaching change had to be made. If you want to count Padgett as another change here, ok, but if he hadn’t been let go, then you would have surely complained that Tyra was going cheap.

Then, there’s Petrino. Jurich spoke many times during the Kragthorpe years about what a mess Bobby left the program in, yet he chose to go there again. It took a few years, actually about 2 and a half seasons, but I don’t see how else you can look at it but that many of those same problems came back again, leading to poor team unity and a lack of effort from many players during 2018 and a fractured relationship with the local high school coaches and players.

The next two seem pretty normal: 1) Whitney Crabtree (Women’s Golf) took maternity leave for this past season and now leaves to join her husband as he moves to Chicago for a new job; and 2) Sandy Pearsall (Softball) retired after 19 seasons as head coach to, as she put it, “focus on family and health”. Do you know something about either of those situations to point some finger at Vince, or are you just reaching some preconceived conclusion there?

Finally, there is Ken Lolla. Yes, Lolla has made it clear that he was very close to Jurich, and so maybe that had something to do with his departure, but Lolla has also indicated that he felt called to make a change in his life to be able to help develop people in a different way, very possibly in some type of faith/religious calling.
Uh oh, I'm off by a month!! :p

Can I get the cliff notes version on the 95% I can't labor thru? Life is too short...

Can I get the cliff notes version on the 95% I can't labor thru? Life is too short...

OK, “Zipp”, I’m sorry you don’t like to get bogged down in real details, so here you go…

The AD before Tyra made two poor hires (Kellie Young and Petrino 2.0), and he was unable to sufficiently monitor the basketball program, which necessitated 3 of the 6 recent coaching changes. 2 of the other 3 were for a coach to follow her husband to a new city and for a coach to retire after 19 years; those kinds of things do happen.

OK, “Zipp”, I’m sorry you don’t like to get bogged down in real details, so here you go…

The AD before Tyra made two poor hires (Kellie Young and Petrino 2.0), and he was unable to sufficiently monitor the basketball program, which necessitated 3 of the 6 recent coaching changes. 2 of the other 3 were for a coach to follow her husband to a new city and for a coach to retire after 19 years; those kinds of things do happen.
IOW you're bull$hitting your way through data points. Thanks, I thought that was what I skipped over...

One word...paranoia.
I suppose you are a paranoia candidate. This big study you have undertaken seems to tell many of us that you are stranger than owl shit. It is bizarre the lengths you go to appear knowledgeable and on the ball, but it is ridiculously obvious that your whole sense of being is to discredit TYra. For that you reason, I feel you should be blackballed , at the least, or be so ashamed to not post for a few months. Please get help during your time away.

Reactions: UKRob 73 and Art79
I suppose you are a paranoia candidate. This big study you have undertaken seems to tell many of us that you are stranger than owl shit. It is bizarre the lengths you go to appear knowledgeable and on the ball, but it is ridiculously obvious that your whole sense of being is to discredit TYra. For that you reason, I feel you should be blackballed , at the least, or be so ashamed to not post for a few months. Please get help during your time away.
I think it's telling how defensive people get when the subject of "Vince" is brought up. Why so sensitive? Puzzling...

Is it correct to have Padgett listed under a coaching "hire"? I thought he was simply named the interim coach, and not actually hired for head coaching job. If so, shouldn't it be 7 hires for this year counting Ward and Satterfield?

Anyone wanna talk about, oh I don't know, the numbers?

Jurich didn't reach six coaches until six years after succeeding Bill Olsen...

I’m not sure you have real good information here. The major difference between Tom Jurich and Vince Tyra is timing. The times are different now than they were back in the fall of ‘97. Pretty simple. And by the way, it appears that AD Tyra gave Tom Jurich his props during the hiring announcement of a new soccer coach. I think AD Tyra understands the situation at UofL and it appears that existing coaches feel pretty good about where the athletic department is headed under Tyra’s direction. But this is just my opinion.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Raw data points are great because they annoy and trigger defensive responses in certain groups. Below are two such bits of information.

1) Number of NCAA Basketball Championships won by coach that Jurich replaced. Two.
2) Number of NCAA Basketball Championships won by coach that Jurich hired. Zero

Since this stuff matters, who else was recruiting your new AD as AD? I'm having a hard time recalling...
Doesn’t seem like anyone is lining up to hire TJ either. I don’t exactly see the point with this one...

Reactions: zipp
I think it's telling how defensive people get when the subject of "Vince" is brought up. Why so sensitive? Puzzling...

No "Zipp", you're the one who is getting overly defensive. I cited facts supporting the need for the removal of 3 of the prior AD's hires and you refused to read about it and then you attack me with an expletive, which is a classic sign of someone in a debate who has nothing legitimate to say.

Well "Zipp", not that facts seem to matter to you, but you cited the replacement of 8 coaches, and you got the hiring date for two of them wrong not by one month but by two months. And you asked for an explanation for the high number in 2018 versus 1997-1999, and I explained that it would appear that the AD before '97 made exemplary hires for all coaches as opposed to 3 of the 6 coaches who were dismissed recently (Young, Pitino, Petrino) who absolutely needed to be fired. Come back when you can discuss this intelligently and without resorting simply to an expletive.

Reactions: Knucklehank1
zipp doing his best to get everyone against the AD is what most Kentucky fans dream of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT