ADVERTISEMENT

Historical U of L Head Coaching Hires...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it correct to have Padgett listed under a coaching "hire"? I thought he was simply named the interim coach, and not actually hired for head coaching job. If so, shouldn't it be 7 hires for this year counting Ward and Satterfield?
"Vince" certainly could have made Padgett the permanent hire. With money getting tighter and tighter, it's evidently OK now for U of L to systematically promote assistants to head coaches...

I’m not sure you have real good information here. The major difference between Tom Jurich and Vince Tyra is timing. The times are different now than they were back in the fall of ‘97. Pretty simple. And by the way, it appears that AD Tyra gave Tom Jurich his props during the hiring announcement of a new soccer coach. I think AD Tyra understands the situation at UofL and it appears that existing coaches feel pretty good about where the athletic department is headed under Tyra’s direction. But this is just my opinion.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!
HNY, gocards!

I don't believe Jurich walked into a great situation in 1997. In fact, I'm sure he didn't. Both of the major revenue programs were dumpster fires, and there were no nonrevenue sports programs to speak of. He was competing in CUSA with about one-third of the budget we have now. And we were out of the Power Five most of Jurich's tenure.

Jurich had every reason to wanna clean house and establish U of L in the vision of what he wanted. "Vince" had no reason to do anything except walk in Jurich's footsteps. As he said, the programs here were established.

What "Vince" needs to do is build bridges with his predecessor to establish credibility for himself. I don't believe he's man enough and confident enough in his own abilities to do that...

Raw data points are great because they annoy and trigger defensive responses in certain groups. Below are two such bits of information.

1) Number of NCAA Basketball Championships won by coach that Jurich replaced. Two.
2) Number of NCAA Basketball Championships won by coach that Jurich hired. Zero
If you'd like we can start a standalone thread on Jurich's overall accomplishments in two decades. It won't be pretty for your side of things...

You didnt even try to refute anything I said. If you've noticed, most on here dont blindly follow everything you say anymore. Your old schtick doesn't really cut it anymore. Grab those goalposts and move'em Zipp.
What I've really noticed is that slapd!cks agree with a lotta U of L fans on the other side of my issues.

I like that...it simplifies things.

Reactions: PHCARD
No "Zipp", you're the one who is getting overly defensive. I cited facts supporting the need for the removal of 3 of the prior AD's hires and you refused to read about it and then you attack me with an expletive, which is a classic sign of someone in a debate who has nothing legitimate to say.
You're rationalizing data which fundamentally undermines data analysis. And for one reason, it's data you don't like...
Well "Zipp", not that facts seem to matter to you, but you cited the replacement of 8 coaches, and you got the hiring date for two of them wrong not by one month but by two months. And you asked for an explanation for the high number in 2018 versus 1997-1999, and I explained that it would appear that the AD before '97 made exemplary hires for all coaches as opposed to 3 of the 6 coaches who were dismissed recently (Young, Pitino, Petrino) who absolutely needed to be fired. Come back when you can discuss this intelligently and without resorting simply to an expletive.
Would you like me to redo the chart adjusting some critical hire dates by one month? Let me know... It's gonna look a LOT different.

giphy.gif

That's attacking the messenger, not the data. Try the latter to become more effective...

The moderators of this site could create a lot of harmony and good will by setting up a page specifically for sports administrative topics. Keeping threads like this one there. The Cards I want to hear about wear jerseys and uniforms with numbers and U of L logos on them. Not polo shirts and suits. They earn their places by practice and hard work, not appointments or hiring by boards. They are judged game to game, match to match or race to race for a place on their team. It would be easier to ignore all the butt hurt of an obsessed vocal few if they had a topic appropriate page for discussions about people who labor in an administration building not a sports facility.

I think it's telling how defensive people get when the subject of "Vince" is brought up. Why so sensitive? Puzzling...
If you decide to create a chart or bar graph that measures the number of people that think you are loony, count me as a strongly AGREE.

If you decide to create a chart or bar graph that measures the number of people that think you are loony, count me as a strongly AGREE.
That's not a U of L topic, that's a 'zipp' topic. But since you brought it up, nine thousand likes and counting...

I already attacked the data, you moved the goalposts, as you always do, then you act like you're above everyone because they don't "attack the data". It's an old shtick.
Well, let's reexamine how you "attacked the data"...
...Your data is valid, your overall point is not. Everyone, I mean everyone, knows you're a Jurich fan and a Tyra hater. Molding a narrative around data that is highly relative to external forces isnt necessary.

You simply wouldn't post data that supported Tyra over Jurich.
So, your "attack" was not of the data, it was about me. The very next sentence as a matter of fact.

And since I'm just a "hater", how about you posting hard data that supports "Vince" over Jurich? I'll wait for that 'cuz I love a data-based approach...

Well, let's reexamine how you "attacked the data"...

So, your "attack" was not of the data, it was about me. The very next sentence as a matter of fact.

And since I'm just a "hater", how about you posting hard data that supports "Vince" over Jurich? I'll wait for that 'cuz I love a data-based approach...
Sorry but I didn't attack you and I gave you a different interpretation of your data.

If "Zipp" can't get the facts straight on when the 8 most recent coaching replacements occurred
You're rationalizing data which fundamentally undermines data analysis. And for one reason, it's data you don't like...

Would you like me to redo the chart adjusting some critical hire dates by one month? Let me know... It's gonna look a LOT different.

giphy.gif
No need to redo the data chart; the point is that if you fouled up something that easy, it calls into question every piece of "data" that you have provided on this board.

And I'm not rationalizing the data, "Zipp", I have simply provided a possible explanation for the data. I think the previous AD fouled up on 2 of 6 hires (Petrino and the lacrosse coach) and did not effectively monitor another coach (Pitino), while you seem to view the numbers as representing the current AD wanting to clean house. I like my explanation, you like yours, but I'll be glad to submit it to a vote of those on this board.

Reactions: RonEJones
That's not a U of L topic, that's a 'zipp' topic. But since you brought it up, nine thousand likes and counting...
Since you seem to have plenty of time on your hands, may I suggest another data driven study. How about looking at the number of NCAA investigations and the actions of UL coaches that have brought shame to the university since Tyra has been here. Compare that with an experienced AD , lets say Jurich. 5 years worth of data should be enough. Just the facts will do. Thank you.

Reactions: AKG17 and Art79
40, 662 posts. Not a good percentage. If counted, dislikes would be much higher.
I think I had around 30,000 posts before the "like" feature was added. That's a lot better ratio.

Nice try.
Since you seem to have plenty of time on your hands, may I suggest another data driven study. How about looking at the number of NCAA investigations and the actions of UL coaches that have brought shame to the university since Tyra has been here. Compare that with an experienced AD , lets say Jurich. 5 years worth of data should be enough. Just the facts will do. Thank you.
Is this you trying to change the narrative? If it's an easy task, go for it.

I don't work at your discretion. I'll be glad to look at YOUR analysis. Just try to stay away from excuses...

Last edited:
Sorry but I didn't attack you and I gave you a different interpretation of your data.
No, you went right after me because you didn't like the data I presented. If you weren't a slappy, I'd expect you to understand the difference...

...No need to redo the data chart; the point is that if you fouled up something that easy, it calls into question every piece of "data" that you have provided on this board...
That's you looking for an out. Can't argue against the data except to allege that everything is an exception.

Analytical comedy...

zipp, you are making an assumption that coaches are leaving becuse of Tyra, maybe they are leaving becAase os the embarassment other coaches have brought on the school and they wanted a new outlook regardless of the AD? or maybe TJ let them get away with so much that when Tyra came to town he tightened the belt and they don't like being scrutinized now? maybe the inmate (coaches) were running the asylum with no oversight and maybe that's why louisivlle is a national laughing stock outside out city and Tyra had nothign to do with that, but TJ 100% did. maybe a frog in indonesia double jumped a coyote and that's why coaches have been hired. simple truth is, you can make a chart look any way you want and to display whatever info you want, but you chart takes absolutely nothing of the real world into context. didn't Tj immediately fire Crum and bring in Pitino to a lot of people dismay but no board back then to bitch about that one and how people hated tj for that. and last thing, don;t forget Zipp all the horrible things that has happened to Lousiville happened under TJ:S Watch not Tyra's so my chart Shows 100% of the NCAA sanctions came under TJ's rule so fu%h TJ he screwed the fans, the school and the city, GO TYRA!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's my Chart Zipp.
NCAA SANCTIONS and PROBES UNDER JURICH - 5 or 6
SANCTIONS OR PROBES UNDER TYRA - 0

Like I said above, we won't get fooled again and the new boss ain't the same as the old boss. What you got away with before isn't going to fly no more. Either you comply or get out while the getting is good. Pitino, Petrino, and Sharp, and I'm sure a few others, made their own beds. Just because it was OK under one guy doesn't mean it will be OK other the new guy nor does it mean it was ethical or moral to begin with.

I think I had around 30,000 posts before the "like" feature was added. That's a lot better ratio.

Nice try.

Is this you trying to change the narrative? If it's an easy task, go for it.

I don't work at your discretion. I'll be glad to look at YOUR analysis. Just try to stay away from excuses...

I actually have a life and will not waste it collecting data that only suits my narrative. I would then , following your path, have to argue with people that do not agree with my findings.
I just assumed you would be glad to do the research. I guess I was wrong. I can give a quick synopsis of what those findings would be though.

Tyra = Zero NCAA investigations

Jurich= Still counting. Possibly into 2020.

I agree with Knucklehank. You really should just give it up. I am not a fan of yours but this has gone on too long. You cant successfully argue an indefensible position and come out looking anything but (less) than you really are. Happy New Year. And I do mean that. Lets move on.

I actually have a life and will not waste it collecting data that only suits my narrative. I would then , following your path, have to argue with people that do not agree with my findings.
I just assumed you would be glad to do the research. I guess I was wrong. I can give a quick synopsis of what those findings would be though.

I agree with Knucklehank. You really should just give it up. I am not a fan of yours but this has gone on too long. You cant successfully argue an indefensible position and come out looking anything but (less) than you really are. Happy New Year. And I do mean that. Lets move on.
It takes one of you to move on. Stop responding to him or baiting him. He’s going to get the last word in, so in order to move on you have to concede..

My New Years Resolution is to ignore stupid stuff. Not putting anyone on ignore. Just going to laugh, shake my head and keep scrolling when I see it.

“Wing commander to Maverick, do not engage.”

Reactions: BUSCHBUG and Art79
I’ll never forget my Grad School Stats prof once saying many years ago, “Lotus 123 and Excel’s most significant impact on the field of statistics was their ability to make lousy science with pretty and easy to make graphs.”

I generally quickly scan threads and rarely take time to post. But this is painful to watch. One year vs. 20?
Using the data to make any inference whether pro current or former ADs is so much wasted time. The plotting and analysis of the “data” would not grade as of sufficient value to even high school intro to stats with zero sarcasm intended by this statement. It’s like debating whether to make chocolate cake or tofu out of a turd, with nobody asking why anyone would cook with a turd in the first place.

Really not trying to sound like an ass, but this really is an insult to the Stat pros and their profession.
There just really is nothing more to be said or debated about it.

Reactions: chevelle99
zipp, you are making an assumption that coaches are leaving becuse of Tyra, maybe they are leaving becAase os the embarassment other coaches have brought on the school and they wanted a new outlook regardless of the AD?...
You can "maybe" a lotta things... Do you honestly think that our soccer program or baseball program is experiencing embarrassment? Please find me a single piece of evidence supporting that.
...or maybe TJ let them get away with so much that when Tyra came to town he tightened the belt and they don't like being scrutinized now?...
I think there's a very real chance that "Vince" is belt tightening. That's what happens in his world when less money is coming in. And so what if they spent like drunken sailors under Jurich? Unlike now, they made enough money to cover their costs. And look at their results...
...maybe the inmate (coaches) were running the asylum with no oversight and maybe that's why louisivlle is a national laughing stock outside out city and Tyra had nothign to do with that, but TJ 100% did...
You mean they're all like Pitino? Again, any evidence?
...simple truth is, you can make a chart look any way you want and to display whatever info you want, but you chart takes absolutely nothing of the real world into context...
I've made multiple offers to people such as you to present the same data leading to the opposite conclusion. No one can, so all I get is pushback on my analysis.
...didn't Tj immediately fire Crum and bring in Pitino to a lot of people dismay but no board back then to bitch about that one and how people hated tj for that...
That particular data point is included on my chart. I don't understand what you're trying to say.
...don;t forget Zipp all the horrible things that has happened to Lousiville happened under TJ:S Watch not Tyra's so my chart Shows 100% of the NCAA sanctions came under TJ's rule so fu%h TJ he screwed the fans, the school and the city, GO TYRA!!!!!!!!!!!
Here's my Chart Zipp.
NCAA SANCTIONS and PROBES UNDER JURICH - 5 or 6
SANCTIONS OR PROBES UNDER TYRA - 0
You're changing the subject. This thread is about hiring and retaining coaches...

Like I said above, we won't get fooled again and the new boss ain't the same as the old boss. What you got away with before isn't going to fly no more. Either you comply or get out while the getting is good. Pitino, Petrino, and Sharp, and I'm sure a few others, made their own beds. Just because it was OK under one guy doesn't mean it will be OK other the new guy nor does it mean it was ethical or moral to begin with.
You don't definitively know what has happened, only what has been alleged. And from the same school and leadership that investigated Jurich as a sex predator, walked that back, and gave him $7 million. That screams "CREDIBILITY"...

Of course, you're not going hunting for data. I wouldn't either for data that didn't exist. Just don't expect me to do your work for you...

I’ll never forget my Grad School Stats prof once saying many years ago, “Lotus 123 and Excel’s most significant impact on the field of statistics was their ability to make lousy science with pretty and easy to make graphs.”

I generally quickly scan threads and rarely take time to post. But this is painful to watch. One year vs. 20?
Using the data to make any inference whether pro current or former ADs is so much wasted time. The plotting and analysis of the “data” would not grade as of sufficient value to even high school intro to stats with zero sarcasm intended by this statement. It’s like debating whether to make chocolate cake or tofu out of a turd, with nobody asking why anyone would cook with a turd in the first place.

Really not trying to sound like an ass, but this really is an insult to the Stat pros and their profession.
There just really is nothing more to be said or debated about it.
This isn't high powered stats analysis. All you have to do is look at prior data and where the new guy's first data point lies. Oh that's right...we don't like data here. :p

Sorry but I’m not going to give legitimacy to arguments based on poor foundation at best simply because it is backed by what somebody labels as “data” no matter how pretty or passionate the presentation.

It’s why I also don’t bite when faced with “believers” that the moon landings never happened, the holocaust was a lie and the earth is flat. To do otherwise only lends credibility to that which isn’t and the minds are never changed.

I’ll just politely say, “Thanks, nice try. But I’m just passing through. I wish you well in your pursuits. I’ll let you save your literature and my time.”

Last edited:
Of course, you're not going hunting for data. I wouldn't either for data that didn't exist. Just don't expect me to do your work for you...
I expect nothing from you. And yes, the information does exist and it is known to everyone that frequents this board.
NCAA investigations and/or penalties under Tyra= zero. Under Jurich= many with possibly more to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT