ADVERTISEMENT

Heird Speaks On Payne

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
Q: You got the question about basketball and obviously, it's something that because they're in season with (Payne) and the men's team. They're getting better, still not winning yet. How do you approach that? What do you feel like your role is with Kenny as far as support?

A:
I can promise you, I don't go home satisfied with we're getting better and Kenny even more so than me. We don't want to go home and say we're getting better. We're making progress. So we understand the expectations in this program, and the expectation is to win a lot of basketball games and compete at an extremely high level.

Do I think we're headed in the right direction? That's not just wins and losses. That's everything around the program, you know, are we setting ourselves up to be successful? Yes. Now, but obviously, more so in the future and creating a foundation that's going to last more than you catch lightning in a bottle and you had a good year. How do we create a program that's going to be sustainable and be really good year after year, because that's the expectation around here.

And as far as supporting Kenny, I mean, that's, extremely important to me. Until he does something that says, 'Hey, I don't think he should be our basketball coach,' I'm going to support him 110%. But I can promise you he hasn't done one thing that has shown me that he shouldn't be our basketball coach. Now, does that mean that any of us are satisfied with two wins? Absolutely not. Like I said, it is extremely frustrating. And I can assure you, it's frustrating. I know it's frustrating to Kenny. It's frustrating to staff, and it's frustrating to our student-athletes. But if you take a step back, and this is really hard to do, it's really hard for fans to do, it's really hard for me to do, it's really hard for Kenny to do and say, 'Hey, what were we dealing with when we made that coaching transition?' Look at who was on this team. Look at the track record they had previously. Look who's not on that team now based on the personnel there.

• Wow
Reactions: KerryRhodes
Q: You got the question about basketball and obviously, it's something that because they're in season with (Payne) and the men's team. They're getting better, still not winning yet. How do you approach that? What do you feel like your role is with Kenny as far as support?

A:
I'm going to support him 110%. But I can promise you he hasn't done one thing that has shown me that he shouldn't be our basketball coach.
Samuel L Jackson Reaction GIF by Coming to America

“ Do I think we're headed in the right direction? That's not just wins and losses. That's everything around the program, you know, are we setting ourselves up to be successful? Yes. Now, but obviously, more so in the future and creating a foundation that's going to last more than you catch lightning in a bottle and you had a good year. How do we create a program that's going to be sustainable and be really good year after year, because that's the expectation around here.”

How, exactly, are we setting ourselves up to be successful? Please tell me what we are doing in that regard. All I can think of is that crawling out of the 300’s in every NET negative category and dragging ourselves out of the ACC basement will be seen as successful. But, if Re-establishing our program to one of the best in the country and competing for ACC and NCAA championships is our idea of success….yeah…nothing on the horizon that I can see.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
To be fair to Heird - what the hell was he supposed to say?
Yeah could be the "dreaded vote of confidence".

Although, Kenny's NIL video the other day makes me think he's coming back next year. I guess we'll find out in 2 months.

To be fair to Heird - what the hell was he supposed to say?
Exactly. In this case Heird’s verbosity speaks volumes. He figured if he threw enough words together that everyone would be too exhausted to digest everything. Mission accomplished Josh.

Reactions: BPGhost
Yeah…now 2-16. I’m really beginning to think our chances of having a winning season are in jeopardy! Seriously, how could another year be justified. Like others have said, our better players will be poached. Why would they want to stay for another minute of this $hit show. Great new talent isn’t walking through that door. If Payne gets another year the next season is DOA.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT