ADVERTISEMENT

El Ellis Future Plans

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
Sounds like it's either pro ball or back to UofL next season for Ellis.

"If I'm going to come back and go to college again, I'm going to come back to Louisville, because I didn't finish the way I wanted to."

Testing the waters is exactly what he should do at this point. He needs to go through that process and be shown by professional teams where he needs to improve. The real question is whether or not the GLeague is the best place for him to learn it.

He’s learned how to cut down on his turnovers as this season has progressed. IMHO the next step for him is mental toughness and leadership … quit pouting when you don’t get the foul call or when the other team makes a great play.

Also, side not Curry said he was weighing his options on returning and NBA.

Really how do you coach him when after this year he still thinks the NBA is a legit option? This tells me he believes 100% none of this year was his doing. He honestly believes being over weight and loafing all year isn’t something the NBA looks at.

Boy, I really can’t stand being this negative but my goodness what world are these guys living in.

Ellis is a solid offensive player at the college level. I think he has a ton of work to do in order to play in the NBA. I’m not sure his current game is enough or translates to that level.

Reactions: pappy52
With everything else that is swirling about some transfers (and Evans), if he comes back, this could be a massive turnaround...............if and its a big one, Payne can coach!!

My advice to all... don't shoot down Ellis. He is legit 6'3" shooting guard. He is in the Damion Lillard mold. All a team has to do is promise him a decent 2-way contract whether through draft or not and he is out. He has proven his athleticism on a national stage... and his ability to score at all levels...

Reactions: rh62531
Again, Honestly, I hope we don't roll in to the whole "if he is looking at the NBA he shouldn't go" mind set that many of us have around this time of the year. I don't think David Johnson has any regrets, nor does the other JUCO who went straight the NBA. Nor does D. Mitchell whom NOBODY thought should leave.

Honestly, if you take a step back and review his body of work, Ellis falls into that Dame Lillard role. At 6'3" he can get his own shot off, he is uber athletic and highly skilled. He can score at all levels.C ertain things are easy in the NBA if you are on a decent team. Look at his numbers... they are directly comparable to Russ Smith and Donovan Mitchell's numbers...

He will probably get a guaranteed contract, maybe a 2-way deal as an undrafted free agent, but honestly, I think he goes late in the 2nd round as an "Under the Radar" guard. Will depend on his combine numbers.

I can see more comparison to Russ (Russ could play defense though) and we see what kind of looks he had from the league.

In my opinion, he is no Mitchell or Lillard. I could be wrong and a team takes a gamble on him. No way he’s a starting guard in the league. I don’t see it.

Reactions: rh62531
My advice to all... don't shoot down Ellis. He is legit 6'3" shooting guard. He is in the Damion Lillard mold. All a team has to do is promise him a decent 2-way contract whether through draft or not and he is out. He has proven his athleticism on a national stage... and his ability to score at all levels...
He's only 6'3 in 2 inch heels. If Russ Smith and Peyton Siva couldn't get a sniff in the league neither is Ellis.

If Carlik Jones can have the pro "career" he's having then El Ellis certainly can. Its going to be up to El to decide if he wants to go that route now or next year but he's almost certainly not going to get any sort of guarantee or roster spot.

I agree. He has some work to do on his game. Carlik Jones is a good example though… up and down from the NBA to the G League. I would not discount the G League. It’s not a bad option for a lot of players.

There’s one big difference other than the defense question. It’s his decision making. Too many times he drives into double teams against guys who are taller and his shot is blocked. The result is a TO and fastbreak and score. Granted sometimes successful, but many times not. I remember Siva saying he learned not to give up his dribble if the play wasn’t there.

He's only 6'3 in 2 inch heels. If Russ Smith and Peyton Siva couldn't get a sniff in the league neither is Ellis.
Siva had more athleticism, less skill and no length. Russ Smith had no length and not as much athleticism..
Smith was a beast down in the paint. He knew how to use angles to score. But he couldn't make his own shot due to his lack of height. He worked on his athleticism.... but what doomed him was his inability to convert, full time to a PG.

Ellis has length... he has height, he has athleticism, He can create his own shot... he makes TOUGH shots. He has range... and he is playing, unlike, Siva, Russ, or Donovan, as the main focal point of every defense he plays against. Russ was the focal point to some degree... lol... but he had Montrezl, and others to help him... on a more complete team... that was built defensively...
With seniors...and Juniors... and veterans... and another fast guard like Jones... etc...

We have nobody capable of truly taking over and baling Ellis out... no guards, no threat down in the post... nothing.

Yes, his decision making is junk... and I don't think he will get drafted, DUE to how many good guards are in the draft... all who are bigger, or faster... but he is a legit NBA PG... I don't see him in a Cardinal Uniform next year.

What's his NIL here? If he's got, or can get a 6 fig payout on NIL maybe his best business decision is to return, take a for sure pay day, and try to work on whatever scouts advise him to work on?

I’m not completely sure what his NIL opportunities will or could potentially look like. Does El have a 6 figure value or worth at the college level? Probably. I’m just not exactly sure what that looks likes at Louisville.

It will mostly come down to the feedback he gets.

phenderson mentioned it - if he thinks or gets promised/told that he can get a 2-way contract he is more than likely out.

It’s possible that he can still make more through the G League than NIL depending on how he is signed and his contract. He could play in the G League only on an NBA roster and make more than he could get on NIL.

I’m sure he will explore all his options.

Legit NBA PG? I don’t know.

Again, Honestly, I hope we don't roll in to the whole "if he is looking at the NBA he shouldn't go" mind set that many of us have around this time of the year. I don't think David Johnson has any regrets, nor does the other JUCO who went straight the NBA. Nor does D. Mitchell whom NOBODY thought should leave.

Honestly, if you take a step back and review his body of work, Ellis falls into that Dame Lillard role. At 6'3" he can get his own shot off, he is uber athletic and highly skilled. He can score at all levels.C ertain things are easy in the NBA if you are on a decent team. Look at his numbers... they are directly comparable to Russ Smith and Donovan Mitchell's numbers...

He will probably get a guaranteed contract, maybe a 2-way deal as an undrafted free agent, but honestly, I think he goes late in the 2nd round as an "Under the Radar" guard. Will depend on his combine numbers.
To even have Ellis mentioned in the same breath as Lillard in any aspect is laughable

To even have Ellis mentioned in the same breath as Lillard in any aspect is laughable
Yeah, I was trying to be nice. Of all players…. a comparison to Lillard is funny.

Reactions: bigloucards
I’m not completely sure what his NIL opportunities will or could potentially look like. Does El have a 6 figure value or worth at the college level? Probably. I’m just not exactly sure what that looks likes at Louisville…
I believe it was Eric Crawford who reported a couple months ago that there were three kids on U of L’s current team reportedly getting six-figure NIL money. That’s highway robbery for at least two of them…

I believe it was Eric Crawford who reported a couple months ago that there were three kids on U of L’s current team reportedly getting six-figure NIL money. That’s highway robbery for at least two of them…
I knew Van Lith had a nice NIL deal on the women’s side, but had no idea anyone on the men’s team was receiving that kind of NIL money. That’s crazy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT