ADVERTISEMENT

It has to be over.

It ain’t over because Payne is gone. There’s no money to make a big splash with a new coach, and there’s no obvious choice like the basketball equivalent of Jeff Brohm anyway.

The likeliest outcome if Payne is fired is U of L rolls the dice with a relatively unknown guy with promise who’s not commanding top money. His salary plus Payne’s buyout has to be cash flowed.

There won’t be a huge return of fans with an unknown coach. Finances will continue to be a major problem. An unproven guy may also be just another U of L coaching bust. In fact, that’s somewhat likely.

It’s an ongoing mess and nothing to be optimistic about…

and it WON'T be an "relatively unknown" coach.

Stop listening to this dude people, He's never right and he will be wrong again. A booster is helping in a major way with the buyout when season is over, and the replacement will be a known coach with some success.

Can't remember if this is right or not but wasn't Heird interim when he signed kp and then given the job after he hired him?

I’ll discuss any topic. Just don’t base your argument(s) on a run of coincidences.

K-rag was an obvious gaffe on Jurich’s part, and I’ve heard him acknowledge that. Like the recent replacements, it was a case of Jurich falling back on an obvious choice and not doing his homework. He failed to account for how K-rag would “fit” here behind Strong. Again, he’s admitted that.

Petrino 2.0 is the opposite situation and one in which a great leader takes the lead. Not many people were promoting Petrino for that opening. Yet Jurich proceeded to hire him because he knew Petrino could do the job. That was the important part. And Petrino took U of L to unparalleled heights for this program.

Of course, clowns didn’t consider what might happen to football when they blew up that situation. And we still feel the results…
I should have included the word intelligently - when it comes to any discussion. If you have anything intelligent to say as to why specifically you think there has been a downturn in the baseball program these last couple of years - by all means - out with it. So far you’ve brought nothing factual to that conversation.

Just to clear things up for you - Strong followed kragthorpe - not the other way around. There is nothing about the Petrino 2.0 tenure that could be considered “unparalleled” for the program. A 36-26 record - particularly coming into an incredibly solid foundation and roster left behind by strong - is pretty mediocre. And had he not completely lucked into the generational talent of LJ - that record would have been lucky to be .500.

No one was promoting Petrino because he was a pariah to the vast majority of the CFB (and NFL) world. Given that there was zero competition (no offense to WKU) for his services - Jurich overpaid in every possible way for him - including the ridiculous buyout that Petrino tanked his way into.

You of course want to blame the clowns for the downturn in football but the reality is - Petrino has shown time and time again that he’s incapable of creating balanced rosters - which is why he crashes and burns 3-4 years in. It was happening here before Jurich got booted.

Maybe Jurich should have considered what might happen to the athletics department instead of trading his fiduciary responsibility to UofL in for being pitino’s wingman.

Good point. Florida went from Spurrier to Zook before getting to Urban. Fire Foley! Also, look at Josh's success with fixing the football situation. Josh stood up to Satterfield, coming off a Bowl season, and denied him the raise and contract extension Satt demanded. That took guts and IMO, a lot of AD's would have caved. I'm willing to give Josh the benefit of the doubt in how he's handling Kenny at this point.
Josh seems like a good guy.

Reactions: Guardman
It's always been a question what the priorities are. But that's exactly what it is - a question. They could decide to keep Kenny for a number of reasons including this reason. Or let him go.

The beauty of it for us as fans is we get to find out in 4 weeks one way or the other. And then we can decide what we want to do knowing whether the priorities are winning or something else.

It's always been a question what the priorities are. But that's exactly what it is - a question. They could decide to keep Kenny for a number of reasons including this reason. Or let him go.

The beauty of it for us as fans is we get to find out in 4 weeks one way or the other. And then we can decide what we want to do knowing whether the priorities are winning or something else.
Agree. If people don't like whatever happens, they should walk away. It's a true crossroad. I so agree with you. They gotta show their hand.

Reactions: Mike'sMarbles

I believe she’s telling you what the priorities are 😂. It’s ok to talk about it.

We don't know how that translates to us getting a new coach specifically though. Even if it's a direct factor, we could still get a new coach. There are plenty of high quality, diverse candidates out there.
Exactly. She's clearly re-stating the University mission involves inclusion and diversity. This is a clear message but has been the school's mission for decades. Her comments are a response to some bills being passed or potentially passing that she is not in support of.

I don't see anything in her comments saying Kenny is retained as basketball coach, and I have no clue how much involvement or interest she has with the program.

As you suggest, maybe they let Kenny go but hire Sampson, or Grant from Dayton, or Shaka from Marquette. Or Andre McGee.

Who knows?

My guess is, there's still no plan. It's a guess.

The timing of her statement is alarming imo. I had hope I would make it back to a game next year. I’m bout to give up on them.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
The timing of her statement is alarming imo. I had hope I would make it back to a game next year. I’m bout to give up on them.
Why is it alarming? According to the article, UK's President and UofL President are responding to legislation recently introduced in the state legislature. The fact that it's 4 weeks from hopefully Kenny's last day is likely a coincidence, IMO.

Reactions: vivid_red
The article referenced a Senate Bill 6 that was passed less than a week ago on 2/13. I just glanced over the article but there's another reference to a Bill 9.

To me these statements are a direct response to the laws being passed and/or put to a vote.

But it is possible it could tie to the BB program. We really don't know, and if so, how.

She may be fine with Kenny being cut but she may demand minorities are interviewed.

Again, we don't know.

As Mike's Marbles has astutely pointed out, we're going to find out pretty soon what direction this is going.

I don’t think the prez feels that diversity means you have to have a balance between winning coaches and losing coaches. At least, I hope not.

and it WON'T be an "relatively unknown" coach.

Stop listening to this dude people, He's never right and he will be wrong again. A booster is helping in a major way with the buyout when season is over, and the replacement will be a known coach with some success.
I have made the same point to this tired troll. Asked him to stand by his prediction that our new coach will be a relative unknown and that said coach won’t put fans back in the stands. Of course, he declined to do so.

Money not a problem. Booster is paying the buyout. Keep laughing...you'll see.
Who? “Big booster”…lol

So I can assume you know this “big booster” personally, and he/she has told you to keep it under wraps.

Nice work, this forum needs more comedy. Everyone is too serious…

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: REDFISTFURY3
I should have included the word intelligently - when it comes to any discussion. If you have anything intelligent to say as to why specifically you think there has been a downturn in the baseball program these last couple of years - by all means - out with it. So far you’ve brought nothing factual to that conversation.

Just to clear things up for you - Strong followed kragthorpe - not the other way around. There is nothing about the Petrino 2.0 tenure that could be considered “unparalleled” for the program. A 36-26 record - particularly coming into an incredibly solid foundation and roster left behind by strong - is pretty mediocre. And had he not completely lucked into the generational talent of LJ - that record would have been lucky to be .500.

No one was promoting Petrino because he was a pariah to the vast majority of the CFB (and NFL) world. Given that there was zero competition (no offense to WKU) for his services - Jurich overpaid in every possible way for him - including the ridiculous buyout that Petrino tanked his way into.

You of course want to blame the clowns for the downturn in football but the reality is - Petrino has shown time and time again that he’s incapable of creating balanced rosters - which is why he crashes and burns 3-4 years in. It was happening here before Jurich got booted.

Maybe Jurich should have considered what might happen to the athletics department instead of trading his fiduciary responsibility to UofL in for being pitino’s wingman.
Petrino 2.0 was 29-14 until a clown took over the department. Other inexplicable $hit followed.

And our football finances were rockin’ right up to that point, not to return again. We’re clawing our way back with Brohm.

Jurich managed the department like someone competent was always gonna be in charge of athletics. I’m willing to admit—he might as well—that was a big mistake on his part.

The tired argument about Petrino’s buyout has been debunked. Repeatedly. It wasn’t a buyout to scare off another school. No one was after him when Arkansas put $18 freaking million in his contract. And who the f_k was after Payne when clowns put $10 million in his?

As usual, you do your half a$$ed analysis and HOPE no one has any facts to blow it up…

Last edited:
Petrino 2.0 was 29-14 until a clown took over the department. Other inexplicable $hit followed.

And our football finances were rockin’ right up to that point, not to return again. We’re clawing our way back with Brohm.

Jurich managed the department like someone competent was always gonna be in charge of athletics. I’m willing to admit—he might as well—that was a big mistake on his part.

The tired argument about Petrino’s buyout has been debunked. Repeatedly. It wasn’t a buyout to scare off another school. No one was after him when Arkansas put $18 freaking million in his contract. And who the f_k was after Payne when clowns put $10 million in his?

As usual, you do your half a$$ed analysis and HOPE no one has any facts to blow it up…
Lol - where exactly have you posted any facts? Let’s sum up what you’ve said.

1. Petrino was 29-14 until Jurich was relieved of his duties on 9/27/17. Somehow having a new AD caused him to immediately begin losing - going 7-12 in his next 19 games. Where’s your factual causation evidence that the new AD caused this? Or are we just filing this under more of your “I’m not a big believer in coincidences” line of subjective nonsense?

2. Football (as well as other revenue sports) finances will indeed take a hit if the team’s winning percentage falls to .368 as - from a factual standpoint - fans don’t support a loser in equal numbers that they do a winner. Again - you’ve brought nothing factual - only your agenda driven supposition - that would suggest that the new AD was responsible.

3. Your claim of how Jurich “ran the department” is simply more subjective projection - you weren’t part of any of that - so you’re guessing. You might be right - you might not. Facts don’t contain those variables.

4. Arkansas had just hired him away from the Falcons - and included that buyout before all of the blowback happened over Petrino’s chickenshit way of informing the team by leaving a note in the players’ lockers - making him a pariah in the nfl. He wasn’t yet a pariah in CFB - but he hit that status with his “motorcycle crash”. You’ve posted nothing factual about his second UofL contract - instead making a straw man argument about Payne’s contract.

You make no comment about Petrino’s documented history of tanking programs 3-4 years into his tenure, nothing about not knowing that Strong followed kragthorpe (not the other way around) and, zero evidence about your goofy assertion that somehow the AD is responsible for the baseball team underperforming the last few years.

So tell me again - where are your “facts” again that have blown up my “half assed analysis”?

Last edited:
UK doesn’t have KP as its head basketball coach. They have no DEI coaches in the 3 major mens sports and that isn’t likely to change so they’re really taking that DEI to heart up there, like you try and point out. 🙄 As usual Louisville sucking hind teat in the state just like the politicians want it.
You are serving a straw man argument at Mike with this. You are accusing him of making a point he isn't making.

UK has had Tubby and Joker as diversity hires in the past in those major sports so your straw man argument is a fail too.

Have to start over. Have to move as fast as they can.

Between players leaving and injuries his own decisions on the roster came back to haunt him.

The lack of defense is enough of a reason to fire him. They let the same game torch them again. Just clueless how to teach defense.

If we're being honest (some can do this, others not as much) we'd know after RP left town the program was lit on fire and there wasn't going to be a long line of HOF guys begging to take over. Or that big name up and comer either. Who wants to sign on to a repeat offender waiting for more potential bad news from the NCAA? We just have so many fans in denial that trivialize the problems. Others are so dishonest they'll even put their entire focus on the clean up crew. Helps 'em sleep at night.

They did well to get a HC of Mack's stature.

Then the turn to a former player with 0 experience was a move we were all worried about, but also was in step with the industry. Duke and UNC are sueperior programs and they did basically the same thing. Other programs such as Michigan, AZ, and now Syracuse hired guys with no experience as well. Unfortunately for us, our guy was just over his head.

The reality is these job openings are not getting filled by can't miss coaches overall. But in order for fans to think about this they'd have to be paying attention to the landscape. It's pretty easy to just stay in our own lane and not realize the direction this industry has gone. Then, we can just blame people for where our program is instead of being honest about it all.
Good post.

If we're being honest (some can do this, others not as much) we'd know after RP left town the program was lit on fire and there wasn't going to be a long line of HOF guys begging to take over. Or that big name up and comer either. Who wants to sign on to a repeat offender waiting for more potential bad news from the NCAA? We just have so many fans in denial that trivialize the problems. Others are so dishonest they'll even put their entire focus on the clean up crew. Helps 'em sleep at night.

They did well to get a HC of Mack's stature.

Then the turn to a former player with 0 experience was a move we were all worried about, but also was in step with the industry. Duke and UNC are sueperior programs and they did basically the same thing. Other programs such as Michigan, AZ, and now Syracuse hired guys with no experience as well. Unfortunately for us, our guy was just over his head.

The reality is these job openings are not getting filled by can't miss coaches overall. But in order for fans to think about this they'd have to be paying attention to the landscape. It's pretty easy to just stay in our own lane and not realize the direction this industry has gone. Then, we can just blame people for where our program is instead of being honest about it all.
I get what you're saying but the Duke and UNC situations are not similar. Both Coach K and Williams "groomed" their heir apparents. They could have done an extensive coaching search but they didn't have to. Duke had their choice of Tommy Amaker, Chris Collins, Jeff Capel, Johnny Dawkins, Bobby Hurley... Why didn't Scheyer leave like the rest? Because he knew he was the coach in waiting. Former UNC players who are coaching are not as impressive but guys like Stackhouse, Jason Capel, Jeff Lebo, Wes Miller were not considered heir apparents.

I don’t remember the “tired argument” about Bobby’s buyout was “debunked”. All l remember is your undying faith in TJ’s ability to somehow “negotiate” a lower buyout if he had been here, and what a fool Tyra was for actually honoring the contract. Of course, in order to make that negotiation work, Vince would have had to make the case that Bobby essentially abandoned his job, and therefore a lower buyout was justified. I don’t know how that would have worked with Jimmy Sexton, but it certainly runs contrary to your position that Bobby’s failure was really Tyra’s failure, because Bobby was “doing just fine” until Jurich left the scene. If you’re right about that, he had to pay the full amount. In which case Tyra isn’t to blame for the size of the buyout. The guy who negotiated that buyout is to blame.

I don’t remember the “tired argument” about Bobby’s buyout was “debunked”. All l remember is your undying faith in TJ’s ability to somehow “negotiate” a lower buyout if he had been here, and what a fool Tyra was for actually honoring the contract. Of course, in order to make that negotiation work, Vince would have had to make the case that Bobby essentially abandoned his job, and therefore a lower buyout was justified. I don’t know how that would have worked with Jimmy Sexton, but it certainly runs contrary to your position that Bobby’s failure was really Tyra’s failure, because Bobby was “doing just fine” until Jurich left the scene. If you’re right about that, he had to pay the full amount. In which case Tyra isn’t to blame for the size of the buyout. The guy who negotiated that buyout is to blame.
Thank you ^^^

Reactions: BPGhost

I’ll tell you what blew up Petrino 2.0, was his infantile, narcissistic bs when Jawon Pass threw a late INT deep in FSU territory (a play Petrino called) when milking the clock and kicking a fg would have given the Cards a 6 point lead with virtually no time left. He then proceed to rip Jawon up and down on National television in front of the team. He lost the team right then and there and his 2nd stint at Louisville. You don’t rip your young leader in front of the team for something that you caused.

Don’t believe me, here are the scores (all losses) of there final 7 games after being pretty competitive in their first five games:

66-31
38-20
65-35
77-16
54-23
52-10
56-10

That’s getting outscored 399-145 or 57-19 in each game on average.

Petrino’s lack of character is what did him in and not some goofy AD. I’m as big a TJ fan as anybody but eff Bobby Petrino.

UK doesn’t have KP as its head basketball coach. They have no DEI coaches in the 3 major mens sports and that isn’t likely to change so they’re really taking that DEI to heart up there, like you try and point out. 🙄 As usual Louisville sucking hind teat in the state just like the politicians want it.
LOL the hind teats have the most milk. At least they did on our dairy cows.

Zipp only points to financial numbers, those numbers in his mind is the only way to evaluate whomever is leading the organization. That is his only proof. Numbers matter, but there are thousand factors that impacted those numbers. The actual play on the field only matters if they suck. Then he goes into his they suck because they stopped investing. They win it is because of the old regime.

Louisville has always been an Urban University whose foundation was built on being diverse.

The only thing that worries me about KP is they all agreed this was going to take time. My guess is that why some people told him to stay away or not take it. They knew if it went badly that initial patience wasn’t going to last. He had to be told he was going to be given time and he could do it his way. It has gone so bad he has forced a decision. There is zero doubt in my mind he was getting Year 3 until they blew the non conference schedule. That is when he started losing support. Then they suck in ACC play. Even his strongest supporters can’t justify what has happened on and even off the court.

The deciding factor in his firing will be money. Keep in mind Arizona who is $177M in the hole just gave Tommy Lloyd an extension. That was a booster.

Reactions: Ipartiedwithhopgood
Zipp only points to financial numbers, those numbers in his mind is the only way to evaluate whomever is leading the organization. That is his only proof. Numbers matter, but there are thousand factors that impacted those numbers. The actual play on the field only matters if they suck. Then he goes into his they suck because they stopped investing. They win it is because of the old regime.

Louisville has always been an Urban University whose foundation was built on being diverse.

The only thing that worries me about KP is they all agreed this was going to take time. My guess is that why some people told him to stay away or not take it. They knew if it went badly that initial patience wasn’t going to last. He had to be told he was going to be given time and he could do it his way. It has gone so bad he has forced a decision. There is zero doubt in my mind he was getting Year 3 until they blew the non conference schedule. That is when he started losing support. Then they suck in ACC play. Even his strongest supporters can’t justify what has happened on and even off the court.

The deciding factor in his firing will be money. Keep in mind Arizona who is $177M in the hole just gave Tommy Lloyd an extension. That was a booster.

KP is done, booster handling most if not all the buyout. All will be well in a few weeks. Let's go!

Reactions: TPACardsFan
I hope you're right about the loss of support. I think our admin hoped Kenny could run a competent program and they're probably still in a little bit of shock over how poorly it's gone.

I hope they come to their senses and make the right decision in a few weeks. You can't watch 5 minutes of this team play and not realize the coaching is horrendous and irredeemable. I don't think the fans are coming back for a third round of "can Kenny get to .500?"

I hope you're right about the loss of support. I think our admin hoped Kenny could run a competent program and they're probably still in a little bit of shock over how poorly it's gone.

I hope they come to their senses and make the right decision in a few weeks. You can't watch 5 minutes of this team play and not realize the coaching is horrendous and irredeemable. I don't think the fans are coming back for a third round of "can Kenny get to .500?"
I am not sure shocked is a strong enough word. I doubt this was even in the worst case scenario’s. If it was then I would be joining the lack of leadership mafia.

I agree he isn’t coming back, but the question is will bridges be burned because of the initial you will get time to fix. We may never know.

I am not sure shocked is a strong enough word. I doubt this was even in the worst case scenario’s. If it was then I would be joining the lack of leadership mafia.

I agree he isn’t coming back, but the question is will bridges be burned because of the initial you will get time to fix. We may never know.
Well, I think that we can agree that hopefully there are no bridges burned but UofL has to consider the health of the program before anything else. In the long run, UofL might actually benefit from Payne being a failure of historical proportions. Were he to have meandered around .500 these last two years - we'd be taking about Year 4 - not Year 3 and then the program could slip into sustained mediocrity. See - Georgetown, Memphis, etc.

Firing Payne after this year at least allows UofL to begin to right the ship. With the commitment to NIL and the availability of the portal, a new HC with an actual plan could turn things around sooner than later - before UofL basketball goes the way of so many other prior outstanding programs that are now shells of their former selves.

I agree there are more pro’s than con’s as long as they hire the right guy. That is a huge if in this new world.

You are serving a straw man argument at Mike with this. You are accusing him of making a point he isn't making.

UK has had Tubby and Joker as diversity hires in the past in those major sports so your straw man argument is a fail too.
Well when those two were coaches DEI didn’t exist and UK moved on from those mistakes, and didn’t compound on them.

All I care about is Louisville, not you nor Mike’s apologist opinion, because the timing of this is horrible and leads any one that is keeping up with current politics the realization that this all falls into Payne’s favor for retainment. RIP Louisville basketball if it happens.

Look at G’town. Even a good seasoned coach, Ed Cooley can’t bring them back.

Don’t come at me with hurting the establishment peoples feelings because I’m not all in in what’s happening to Louisville sports. We got lucky with Brohm because he is Mr Louisville or they would have probably F’d that up too. Wake up!

You think the average fan in this space thinks Payne deserves his $6 million buyout? Careful answering if you’re not ready for a stampede…

I’ll tell you what blew up Petrino 2.0, was his infantile, narcissistic bs when Jawon Pass threw a late INT deep in FSU territory (a play Petrino called) when milking the clock and kicking a fg would have given the Cards a 6 point lead with virtually no time left. He then proceed to rip Jawon up and down on National television in front of the team. He lost the team right then and there and his 2nd stint at Louisville. You don’t rip your young leader in front of the team for something that you caused.

Don’t believe me, here are the scores (all losses) of there final 7 games after being pretty competitive in their first five games:

66-31
38-20
65-35
77-16
54-23
52-10
56-10

That’s getting outscored 399-145 or 57-19 in each game on average.

Petrino’s lack of character is what did him in and not some goofy AD. I’m as big a TJ fan as anybody but eff Bobby Petrino.
Petrino was understandably ok getting fired by a clown show. He wasn’t the only coach who ended up looking for a lifeboat; he was lucky his had $14 million in it.

Mack and Satterfield both signed up afterwards but understand that too. Payne I’m sure has figured it out and regrets what he was reportedly talked into.

I’m honestly not sure how anyone can stand back and look at this athletic department debacle and try to blame a bunch of individual coaches. Pure lunacy…

That’s a lot of after the fact excuses that people struggling come up with.

I recall the days when there was no struggling…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT