ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson

I have tried painstakingly to follow and support this team, but I think my emotional health demands that I quit listening to any more of their games this season after last night’s “come from ahead to lose”.

The comments on this thread reveal most all of the mistakes that occurred, but one more that has not been mentioned is rather subtle, but deserves to be noted. In the bottom of the 9th, our lead off is the recipient of a 4 pitch walk. I would think our coach would instruct the next batter to take the next pitch as a way to see if the Clemson closer can find the strike zone. Instead, I believe he swung at the very first pitch that led to the line drive out to right field and caught the pinch runner Lippe into the double play.

Insult to injury; fastest bottom of the ninth inning I can recall.

Reactions: Bardman and earsky
I have tried painstakingly to follow and support this team, but I think my emotional health demands that I quit listening to any more of their games this season after last night’s “come from ahead to lose”.

The comments on this thread reveal most all of the mistakes that occurred, but one more that has not been mentioned is rather subtle, but deserves to be noted. In the bottom of the 9th, our lead off is the recipient of a 4 pitch walk. I would think our coach would instruct the next batter to take the next pitch as a way to see if the Clemson closer can find the strike zone. Instead, I believe he swung at the very first pitch that led to the line drive out to right field and caught the pinch runner Lippe into the double play.

Insult to injury; fastest bottom of the ninth inning I can recall.
The pieces just don't seem to fit do they? The continuing saga of a disjointed group of talented young men that can't sustain focus for the entirety of a 9 inning game,the speed of the game hanging over the coaching staff decisions at real time speed.

I thought Gongora pitched well,but once again he hit a wall after that 10 run inning. Several of those hits early just found a way for Clemson. Not hard hit balls at all,but he couldn't answer the bell...again.

The relief pitching to a man fell behind in the count 2-0 almost every single batter the rest of the game. Walking leadoff guys to start an inning almost always ends bad...except when it's the Cardinals that are rewarded with it like the ninth inning,which ended the way this season has gone. Two lasers hit right at somebody with a baserunning error in between. Smdh

I sure hope we have a 1B coming in as a FR next year or we find one in the portal.

Our slowest outfielder playing center
Didn’t want to point that out. My feelings on EKjr are known. I think he is average defensively in center. His plate discipline is poor; he swings the same way at every pitch; if he hits the ball he certainly bits it hard. He is not good on the bases. So, why is he playing? Give me Lippe or Lucas please.

Reactions: earsky
Not a fan of that. Just play ball. No need for that bs.

Last edited:
I'm out here and he was talking to his teammates. Overboard? Maybe but the season is on the line.

I'm out here and he was talking to his teammates. Overboard? Maybe but the season is on the line.
I just think play ball. Yea season is on the line but Hoy starred down that HR - had to be told to move by the plate umpire and ran his mouth to ever Clemson player in the infield.

I just think play ball. Yea season is on the line but Hoy starred down that HR - had to be told to move by the plate umpire and ran his mouth to ever Clemson player in the infield.
They popped off to him first

Who's pitching tomorrow? Thought I heard Hartman mentioned by Mac post game. Cardiac Cards up off the deck to land left upper cut to even the series. Love it!

Credit where credit is due. Great win. If they could erase the silly mistakes, my gosh, life would be so much easier for them.

If they could erase the silly mistakes, my gosh, life would be so much easier for them.
And that's what makes it so mind numbing.. We just don't play solid baseball..

The loss yesterday about done me in for the season. Glad they bounced back today..

Lost in all the highlights and craziness yesterday was Alicea putting his body on the line,not once but twice. Not sure if anybody saw the slide by Purify to break up the double play but it was very hard and high into Alicea. I thought it was too hard but hey that's baseball,right?
Fast forward to the sac bunt in the 8th when he was almost beaned laying that bunt down and the subsequent hustle play by Moore to score on the throw to first.

These Freshmen can play.

Reactions: Bardman and Deeva
Baseball is such a tough sport to predict. Both teams gave games away so far. Rubber match today. You can bet the team that win this series, we have the least amount of BB's HPS's, and errors. Win blowing hard today, favors the home the Team with this last at bat. Going to be a one run game IMO. We shall see.

Reactions: PushupMan and Deeva
I get the feeling CDM just doesn't give a shit. Koger should have been pulled Riley should have been pulled. Batting practice for crap sakes.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
New pitcher. 10 pitches and 9 balls. No one from the dugout comes out. Williams MUST go. This is embarrassing.

So glad I decided to stay home and wash my truck and do some weedeating.. winning is just not a priority for this squad.. As Bardman said , it almost seems like CDM is ok just going with the flow.. pitiful baseball.!

Reactions: Bardman
Williams can’t even get out of the dugout. 75% of the pitching staff needs to be on a different roster next year.

I think @PushupMan nailed it Friday night. We used up half of our decent pitchers in that loss. The other half pitched yesterday.

It's time for some serious talk about the veteran pitchers on this team.

Reactions: PushupMan
Bullshit on that overturn. Tie goes to runner.
BS
Well, if in fact it was a tie - that’s an out. Runner must reach the bag before the ball/tag. However, most of the guys who pitched Friday should be able give an inning.

Always heard tie goes to the runner. Oh well. See you guys next Fall

I’d say some major changes need to happen this offseason. I don’t have a good feel on how often college head coaches are let go. Is Dan in any sort of hot water?

Last edited:
I’d say some major changes to need happen this offseason. I don’t have a good feel on how often college head coaches are let go. Is Dan in any sort of hot water?
Not an expert on such matters but, I would guess there has to be significant changes made to the roster.

Not an expert on such matters but, I would guess there has to be significant changes made to the roster.
I listened to the radio broadcast for a few innings. Moth, normally a sunshine pumper, flat out said UofL on Sundays just hasn’t been the same the last few seasons. No sense of urgency or energy. Also, he named names when talking about the pitching staff and their regression. Phillips, Corbet, a couple of others. All of this are signs of an unhealthy program. Hard to believe, but it feels like things should come to a closure with the current situation. Hard to believe.

Reactions: rh62531
I listened to the radio broadcast for a few innings. Moth, normally a sunshine pumper, flat out said UofL on Sundays just hasn’t been the same the last few seasons. No sense of urgency or energy. Also, he named names when talking about the pitching staff and their regression. Phillips, Corbet, a couple of others. All of this are signs of an unhealthy program. Hard to believe, but it feels like things should come to a closure with the current situation. Hard to believe.
Wow. Really hate to hear that. Thanks for sharing.

17-7. I think, 5 Clemson home runs. Out pitching is Sun Belt level. We should be pitching Gongora on Sat and Webster on Sunday. Throw whomever you want on Friday against their best guy. Like I said - 75% of the pitching needs to go. I’m sorry; if you are in the 6’3-6’5 range and weigh 215-230 - how can you not throw 90MPH? These pitchers throw beachballs; have not developed, etc. etc. etc.

17-7. I think, 5 Clemson home runs. Out pitching is Sun Belt level. We should be pitching Gongora on Sat and Webster on Sunday. Throw whomever you want on Friday against their best guy. Like I said - 75% of the pitching needs to go. I’m sorry; if you are in the 6’3-6’5 range and weigh 215-230 - how can you not throw 90MPH? These pitchers throw beachballs; have not developed, etc. etc. etc.
I agree. These guys could spend a decade playing in the Cape Cod League and not see significant improvement. Time to turn over the roster and just not the pitching staff.

Normally, when things aren’t working out, I’m all in for a coaching change. It feels different with Mac, however. He’s such a high quality person, and, let’s face it, he built this program. Prado was good. Mac has been beyond great. Some kind of change has to occur. Williams should resign/retire. The problems are pitching related. If Mac won’t move on from him, then let’s start fresh, it pains me to say.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT