ADVERTISEMENT

Analysis of LPT Basketball Series (1983-Present)

Zipp, there are games where the losing team has a lot of positive takeaways from the game just lost. In this series, UofL has, in many instances in recent history, not provided me with many positive takeaways after losing the UK game...

The outcome of the annual game most years, if not all...isn't surprising to me, I understand the position of both programs. I've never accused the staff or team for "letting one get away" and had some unrealistic view of the programs either...
It's been too many years. But I'm not sure I recall an LPT loss that I felt good about afterward. I submit that's because we dislike losing to LPT more than anyone. It really has little to do with how we played--we will always focus on the missed opportunities.

Sure we played well overall on Wednesday nite; I agree with that sentiment. But picture a loss and what we would be saying... Not much contribution (again) from the post, King MIA along with the rest of the bench, key mistakes down the stretch, perhaps missed free throws, can't close games, Pitino can't beat Lite, etc. You know as well I do, there would have three times as many posts in this space had we lost, and not many talking about how well we played...

Man that post went on for a long time and there were stats all over the place and after reading it I'm still not sure what the specific point was.

Bottom line UofL's sucked in this series and this is no UNC/Duke in which it is roughly 50/50 with equal talent. uks doubled our wins and always has better talent. That's why I stopped getting up for this game years ago and pay little attention to it.

Yeah, UofL won one now uk can go on another 4-5 game tear.

What was the theme of the OP again? Was he trying stat his way into saying ul wasn't getting killed in the series?

Man that post went on for a long time and there were stats all over the place and after reading it I'm still not sure what the specific point was.

Bottom line UofL's sucked in this series and this is no UNC/Duke in which it is roughly 50/50 with equal talent. uks doubled our wins and always has better talent. That's why I stopped getting up for this game years ago and pay little attention to it.

Yeah, UofL won one now uk can go on another 4-5 game tear.

What was the theme of the OP again? Was he trying stat his way into saying ul wasn't getting killed in the series?
No, we're pretty much in agreement. Some fans just require data to make a point. And quite honestly, I didn't know that the skew was as much as 80-20 until I researched the EOY rankings.

Unless Lite leaves LPT, as you say, we can expect another run of a few years of losses because that's the duration that LPT is typically better than U of L by season's end. Our more unrealistic fans see that as undue pessimism. I say it's learning from history. Only if our team improves WRT LPT can we expect to win more games. Everything being constant, we're winning as often as anyone should expect...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT