ADVERTISEMENT

ACC Tourney thread

Sean Moth and CDM each said it best; first Sean said in the 6th inning that UL did not deserve to win this game. In post game interview CDM acknowledged that he made a lot of horrible calls that contributed to the loss.

In fairness to DM, the decision to squeeze has worked for us so well in past seasons, but it is probably best defined by the criticality of execution. Usher’s inability to simply make contact on that pitch is inexcusable.

The lack of fundamentals has haunted this team all year. Runner on third with one out just requires a fly ball; how many times were we successful executing that? In past seasons, we seemed to at least get a fly ball, even if it was not deep enough ........ instead in so many instances we failed to even make contact.

Not to make excuses, but this Covid experience interrupted so much of the preseason preparation; not a typical CDM coached UL baseball team.

Reactions: gocds
Sean Moth and CDM each said it best; first Sean said in the 6th inning that UL did not deserve to win this game. In post game interview CDM acknowledged that he made a lot of horrible calls that contributed to the loss.

In fairness to DM, the decision to squeeze has worked for us so well in past seasons, but it is probably best defined by the criticality of execution. Usher’s inability to simply make contact on that pitch is inexcusable.

The lack of fundamentals has haunted this team all year. Runner on third with one out just requires a fly ball; how many times were we successful executing that? In past seasons, we seemed to at least get a fly ball, even if it was not deep enough ........ instead in so many instances we failed to even make contact.

Not to make excuses, but this Covid experience interrupted so much of the preseason preparation; not a typical CDM coached UL baseball team.
Injuries to our pitching staff was the main culprit not Covid.

I’d say injuries and Covid played a part. I think guys getting into Summer leagues this year will really help. Having s healthy staff next year will really help. To me...(as far as primary contributors) we lose: Elliot and Smith - Srs. We most likely lose: Binelas, Davis, Kirian and Dunn (maybe) to the draft. Outside of any potential transfers...the vast majority of this team comes back and this means they will be loaded and improved. What I’d like to know from anyone near the program is what is the status of several pitchers who we saw pitch and then disappear. Prosecky, Barrett, Galvan, Phillips, Tullio. What is Seed’s status? The pitching staff next year, IMO, will be vastly improved.

Since the TV coverage stopped I didn't see the replay review on the double play ball where the runner was called safe at first base.

But I saw it this morning and something needs to be done by the University because the dude was out at first base. It was clear so why wasn't the safe call overturned? What the hell is going on with this shit and Louisville baseball?

I'm sick of it. I often make silly remarks about the baseball gods but this constantly getting hosed on replay reviews in huge games needs to be addressed. This is BS!

NCCardFan: pitching has indeed been bad all year, and yes injuries played a significant part in the rotation's poor performance, not to mention a number of disappointing OOC losses; however it does not account for the fundamental errors that have haunted this team all season in fielding, base running and hitting with RISP.

No one can deny that had anyone of the squeeze plays been executed correctly, we would still be in this ACC tournament. In both instances a perfect or even good bunt was not required, just making contact in the 2nd instance and just moving the ball beyond home plate on the first effort would have sufficed.

The biggest problem I have with the squeeze bunt is that a huge part of the potential success of the play is the surprise element. No one who is a fan of UofL baseball under Dan McDonnell and no one on the Georgia Tech team is surprised that UofL tried the suicide squeeze in that situation - late in the game, runner on third. less than two outs when a single run could give us the lead.

Ask yourself why the pitch was well out of the strike zone and nearly impossible to hit, and you'll understand why that was a horrible coaching decision. This offseason, UofL needs to have a grad assistant go back and chart the situation for every suicide squeeze we've ever tried under McDonnell to impress upon this coaching staff just how predictably over-aggressive their base running is.

Last edited:
Reactions: earsky
NCCardFan: pitching has indeed been bad all year, and yes injuries played a significant part in the rotation's poor performance, not to mention a number of disappointing OOC losses; however it does not account for the fundamental errors that have haunted this team all season in fielding, base running and hitting with RISP.

No one can deny that had anyone of the squeeze plays been executed correctly, we would still be in this ACC tournament. In both instances a perfect or even good bunt was not required, just making contact in the 2nd instance and just moving the ball beyond home plate on the first effort would have sufficed.
I mentioned this in a post a while back. The reasons for the miscues on defense is primarily because of our makeshift infield. First, Rushing and Bianco were penciled in as our 1st baseman and Rushing would DH against righties. Binelas was supposed to be our 3rd baseman but because of his offensive woes was moved to 1st because scouts wanted to see him there and took pressure off him at 3rd. Dunn was a guy who has played SS, 2B OF and got moved to 3rd for necessity. I really believed the plan was for Bowman to play SS. That’s where he played in JC. However because Knap hit all season long, Dan couldn’t take him out of lineup. Bowman is not smooth enough to be a D1 SS and that is why he seemed to be out of position at times at 2B. Borden didn’t hit in his limited time so he never challenged. Knap has good range but needs to get stronger. I’m sure there’s more…

Last edited:
Well, yesterday was a kick in the nads. That loss was really deflating. It basically epitomized the entire year. Struggles, disappointment, missed opportunities, it all came to a head last evening. I'd say the team's chances of making the NCAAT are 50/50 at this point, but I'm so mentally drained, I won't get too upset should they get left out. It's not like they are going to go on a magical run. It's just not their year.

Reactions: Deeva
Final 4 is set in the ACC tourney: 2 seed GT versus 3 seed NC State, and 8 seed Virginia versus 9 seed Duke.

That’s an indication that this pool format is here to stay…
Not a fan of the format for the purposes of determining a champion, but it does seem to be the best compromise that allows 12 teams to compete without wearing out pitching staffs before the NCAA tournament.

PushUpMan: you are spot-on, and CDM acknowledged as much in his post game interview with Sean Moth, when he conceded that his own coaching was as responsible for the loss as anything.

NCCardFan: your last post is not only accurate and appreciated, it provides more evidence of just how disruptive the Covid event was to CDM being able to avoid making infield changes during the season. This was a complete cluster, and in hindsight I can think of a number of position changes that could have saved us from some several losses.

I am a huge fan of Knap for a host of reasons, as he may have as much range as any SS that we have seen at UL, but his throwing errors cost us a number of games in the early portion of the season, and his playing at 2nd base instead of SS would likely have reduced the chance of those crucial mistakes. CDM did not have sufficient preseason time to work those infield issues out.

Lastly ..... if we want to look for any one single contrast between our offense and that of our opponents; look at the DH position. While we were consistently going ”o-fer”, our opponent‘s DH was dominating at the plate. If Ben Metzinger had been healthy, he may very well have provided that missing bat.

There are a couple of guys that seemed to be affected by being put in a role rather than an every day player. If we can get in, I hope they get a chance to redeem themselves.

There are a couple of guys that seemed to be affected by being put in a role rather than an every day player. If we can get in, I hope they get a chance to redeem themselves.
Spot on. I would say that quite a few were affected, most notably Rushing. He went into the season as a potential guy in the lineup every day either at 1B or DH to only getting occasional starts when the other team threw a righty. Even then he knew he would be PH for a defensive replacement. Bianco got even fewer chances. Leonard, Usher, Masterman and Metzinger were all shuffled around, hoping that one or more would rise to the top. I would say that based on his talent, Usher probably got more opportunities than what was deserved which was unfair to the other guys. Borden was left on the outside. Payton went from catching 1 weekend game to almost never playing. An occasional midweek start would have given him or Rushing more chances and maybe given Davis more rest.

Reactions: earsky
All of the guys that are referenced have proven their abilities at some point along the way too.
Either in live game situations going back to last season or Fall Ball.
Watching them struggle with the mental approach at the plate as reserves was tough to watch.

I, for one, believe we’ll be invited to the NCAA baseball tourney on Monday. Could be wishful thinking on my part though.

GO CARDS!!!

Reactions: earsky and Bardman
I, for one, believe we’ll be invited to the NCAA baseball tourney on Monday. Could be wishful thinking on my part though.

GO CARDS!!!
Would you want to see the Cards if you drew them in a regional? I sure wouldn't.

Would you want to see the Cards if you drew them in a regional? I sure wouldn't.
Of course I would. A team that has little pitching and below average defense who hasn't played well in over a month. I just don't understand this belief that Louisville is some great team that is just playing bad and can turn it around against good competition.

Yes, Davis and Binelas may hit a home run or two but there's little else to suggest this team is any kind of threat in the tournament. I would love to be wrong and admit to all I wasn't faithful enough as the Cards make some run through the tournament. But that is fantasy in my opinion.

No team is going to be afraid of playing Louisville.

just don't understand this belief that Louisville is some great team that is just playing bad and can turn it around against good competition.
Lighten up Francis. Nobody said anything about a fantasy run through the tournament, about anybody being great. Talk about mole hill into a Mountain. Geez
What I said was nobody wants us as a draw in the regional,which is true.

Why would these teams be worried about Louisville? It makes no sense that a team would be too concerned over the last at large team selected.

You are just holding on to your hopes that the Cards are somehow better than they are and that other teams are worried about playing them. Believe me, they are not. If the Cards do make the tournament, the regional host will know this is not the usual Cards baseball team they will face.

For a basketball example, just look back at how long it took for Michigan state and Duke to finally fall out of the rankings. Hell, UK was still ranked with a losing record at one time.

But when it came time for postseason play, pundits were talking about how dangerous Duke could be or watch for Michigan state to make a sweet 16 run. The SEC media were saying no one wanted to play UK in the conference tournament.

It was all ridiculous.

Those teams were bad and just because they are top programs that were supposed to be their usual great selves, doesn't change the fact they were bad teams.

Louisville baseball is not very good at all today. They were overranked all season and the only reason someone would think they are a team no one wants to play is because they're a top program which means nothing. Just like it did to the blublood programs in basketball.

Now that being said I hope everything I've said is wrong. I would love to be wrong but I don't believe I am. I don't believe the Cards deserve a bid. I don't think their resume is worthy and with their collapse in May, the only way they make it is because of their elite status.

And all Louisville fans know how much value that really is when it comes to the NCAA and the people who make the decisions.

Not much.

Cannot argue with anything you said; hope you are wrong, but suspect you are closer to the truth.

We just got to hope this isn't the case again next season. In all sports. Now football and basketball are promising with the transfers they got. The baseball team has to replace their two best hitters.

The team next year will be totally different (and better). Lots of experience, a deeper pitching staff and a hopefully minimal injuries.

Small consolation, but it appears we wore Tech out. NC State drilled them today 8-1. Duke beat Virginia in the other semi to set an all North Carolina final tomorrow.

If Duke were to win today, it would be a most fitting end to this bizarre ACC baseball season. That means that ND, VT, Miami, FSU will have joined UL as teams that either led their respective divisions for the greater portion of regular season, or were the pre-season favorites to win; only to fall short this last week. In fairness to NCST, they emerged mid-season to play championship baseball coming into this tournament.

Reactions: Deeva and gocds
If Duke were to win today, it would be a most fitting end to this bizarre ACC baseball season. That means that ND, VT, Miami, FSU will have joined UL as teams that either led their respective divisions for the greater portion of regular season, or were the pre-season favorites to win; only to fall short this last week. In fairness to NCST, they emerged mid-season to play championship baseball coming into this tournament.
Same could be said about Duke. After dropping 2 to us they went on to sweep VT and Clemson. They finished 1 game below .500 in ACC play.

I believe at one time or another, my aforementioned ACC teams were all included in top 20 polls, but I am not so sure that Duke was recognized in that group before the tournament began. This baseball season has mirrored the basketball season, where there were a lot of teams that enjoyed unprecedented success, where some of the favorites fell short. I assign Covid disruption for a lot of these reversals of performance.

Reactions: gocds and Deeva
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT