ADVERTISEMENT

2 Vacated Final Fours and can't coach

....but he can recroot....or he knows a weasel who can recroot.
wink.r191677.gif

The vacated Final Fours is my problem with his entry. It tarnishes the HOF that someone with his track record is allowed in. Very sad day for basketball.

Now the HOF is a huge joke. This would never had happened if he was coaching at NJIT...

Ok, just to be fair, what about Boeheim? Calhoun? Does their HOF legacy take a hit? What about Roy Williams over the academic scandal? Where do you draw the line? Coach Crum he had some brushes with the NCAA? So is the rule that any coach with allegations not allowed in the HOF?

Originally posted by hs_sportsfan:
Ok, just to be fair, what about Boeheim? Calhoun? Does their HOF legacy take a hit? What about Roy Williams over the academic scandal? Where do you draw the line? Coach Crum he had some brushes with the NCAA? So is the rule that any coach with allegations not allowed in the HOF?
Looks like you missed the can't-coach part as well...

"Kenny, should I call a timeout?"

laugh.r191677.gif

"Elite program", my a$$...

Re: Bring in Shoeless Joe Jackson before CAL

Most people feel he was an wronged, but not guilty ,BUT Cal, a convicted two vacated final fours

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Denny Crum's brush with the NCAA was about Samaki Walker driving a Tercel and his father getting a low wage job. A freaking Tercel, man.

Not even in the same stratosphere as Cal's academic scandals (Bledsoe and Rose).

Oh, yeah. When has Cal proven that he can coach up talent. Chaperoning ready-made NBA prop
prospects doesn't impress me much.

Originally posted by GoldCard:
Denny Crum's brush with the NCAA was about Samaki Walker driving a Tercel and his father getting a low wage job. A freaking Tercel, man.

Not even in the same stratosphere as Cal's academic scandals (Bledsoe and Rose).

Oh, yeah. When has Cal proven that he can coach up talent. Chaperoning ready-made NBA prop
I don't think you have your facts straight. It was a Ford Explorer and it was for who owned the car and who paid for the stereo equipment to be put in it. Nate Johnson's Dad was staying at the Wilson Inn off Bardstown road and someone was paying that bill. Samaki is 6'10"- he could t even fit in a Tercel.

This post was edited on 4/8 11:22 AM by Boom Boys 13

Cal is as good a coach as Pitino. Look at the job Pitino done after loosing Jones a starter late in the season and taking that team to an Elite 8.

Now for comparison look at the job Cal done after loosing a starter ( Noel ) late in the season.The way he pulled that team together to lose to Robert Morris 1st round of NIT great job
clown.r191677.gif

Originally posted by GoldCard:

Don't really want to get too deep into these things but there were issues in 1996 with Larry Gay and Walker and there were issues again in 1998 with Scooter McCray and Nate Johnson. It really doesn't matter to me, Coach Crum is all class doesn't change how I feel about him or his career.

Whether fair or unfair there will always be an "invisible asterisk" by Calipari's name for most fans... me included. I am not a huge fan of his, but I would not go as far as to say that he cannot coach. He is not the best X's and O's guys roaming the sidelines... that continues to be proven. I would most definitely rank Izzo ahead Cal for sure. Izzo will have his day.

Didn't the NCAA make sure Cal and UK weren't advertising his vacated wins on his coaching resume or something like that? Why would those same vacated seasons with inelligible players count towards the NCAA hall of fame?

Originally posted by J-Rye_UL:
Didn't the NCAA make sure Cal and UK weren't advertising his vacated wins on his coaching resume or something like that? Why would those same vacated seasons with inelligible players count towards the NCAA hall of fame?
Yes and No. The NCAA bars members (coaches and schools) from referencing vacated wins. This came up a few years ago with Cal's 500th win (or not), etc. However, the Naismith Hall of Fame is NOT an NCAA member, they pull from all levels, they can do whatever they want. So the NCAA may say the UMASS tournament run and the Mephmis season don't officially count, but the HoF may say they do. I'm not sure what record the HoF will attribute to Calipari; however it looks like they are recognizing the official NCAA records: "Calipari has led his teams to eight Elite Eight Appearances (2006, 2007, 2009-12, 2014, 2015) and four NCAA Final Four appearances (2011, 2012, 2014, 2015)."

But that does bring up the whole "vacated" games, which IMO is stupid and only impacts the record books. I understand taking down banners/titles/etc, but the games still happened, we saw them... but they act as if they never occurred. Look no further than Penn State. NCAA vacated the wins, striking 112 victories from the record books... only to turn around and re-instate them. So, did those games happen, then not happen, then happen again?

Originally posted by catmasterson:

Cal is as good a coach as Pitino. Look at the job Pitino done after loosing Jones a starter late in the season and taking that team to an Elite 8.

Now for comparison look at the job Cal done after loosing a starter ( Noel ) late in the season.The way he pulled that team together to lose to Robert Morris 1st round of NIT great job
laugh.r191677.gif
That's just dense.

Nobody is comparing the two. If you lose your point guard three quarters of the way into a season, it easy to see that losses at that position can derail a team quicker than a frontline. He was a senior point guard who led in assists and steals and a key person in the press. It not exactly like Noel is tearing up the league and KY already had a lot of losses while he was playing. They were never going anywhere and we did end this season with fewer losses than KY had while playing in a much better conference than the SEC.

Originally posted by Briggsky:
It not exactly like Noel is tearing up the league
I stopped reading there. The dude is top ten in two statistical categories and most commentators agree that his is second to Wiggins in ROY.

Originally posted by Mossip:

I stopped reading there.
I don't think you're reading him at all.

His only prominent point is that losing a starting PG about 90% through a season that was relied on to do so much was as important, or more than important than the loss of Noel for UK which happened a bit earlier. Maybe, maybe not.

UK replaced Noel with Stein who had seen a decent amount of playing time, another lottery pick. Maybe depth was compromised. Louisville replaced Jones with a kid who hadn't played much at all, and isn't a lottery pick. Depth was certainly compromised.

UK was also trying to stay afloat in a garbage SEC.

Louisville was trying to stay afloat in a tough ACC.

But go ahead and focus on the inconsequential portion of his post. I'd do that if I were you too, rather than actually try to speak to the only point he was truly trying to make.

Originally posted by Ipartiedwithhopgood:

I stopped reading there.
I don't think you're reading him at all.

His only prominent point is that losing a starting PG about 90% through a season that was relied on to do so much was as important, or more than important than the loss of Noel for UK which happened a bit earlier. Maybe, maybe not.

UK replaced Noel with Stein who had seen a decent amount of playing time, another lottery pick. Maybe depth was compromised. Louisville replaced Jones with a kid who hadn't played much at all, and isn't a lottery pick. Depth was certainly compromised.

UK was also trying to stay afloat in a garbage SEC.

Louisville was trying to stay afloat in a tough ACC.

But go ahead and focus on the inconsequential portion of his post. I'd do that if I were you too, rather than actually try to speak to the only point he was truly trying to make.
Meh... we can continue the apples to oranges circle jerk if you want, but I'd rather not. Doesn't mean I can't point out dumb comments.

I'm not sure if I'm the Kentucky fan you want to argue with; I'll just bore you by acknowledging that Pitino and Calipari are both great coaches at great programs.

circle jerk if you want, but I'd rather not.

Not interested in anything like that.

I'm not sure if I'm the Kentucky fan you want to argue with;

It's not an argument.

Meh... we can continue the apples to oranges
And the result wasn't apples to oranges either. One team reached an E8 and missed the FF by OT, the other team ended up losing 1st Rd @ Robert Morris.

One point that everyone misses. When was the last time Cal beat a team with more takent than he had. A second point. Name another coach who has had two final four's vacared. The point UK fans miss is the fact that Čal's to vacated trips included players who either weren't qualified for college play like Rose and Bledsoe or accepted benefits not allowed student athletes on other teans. Cal was never cleared, they just didn't catch him. You know that, we know that and so does every fan who follows college sports. If you can look me in the eye and tell me that Cal didn't notice Rose's brother on the team plane (nine times) then you are as crazy as you sound. Noel still sucks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT