ADVERTISEMENT

WNBA Draft Tonight

Sonja

Jun 20, 2001
Louisville
www.cardinalcouple.com
Of interest to UofL women's basketball fans is the WNBA Draft this evening. it'll be shown on ESPN at 7 p.m. A different format than we've ever seen for it. No central facility with the hopefuls in attendance. Players joining via internet. Cardinals Kylee Shook and Jasmine Jones are drawing attention.

The services and websites that prognosticate and make guesses on picks are pretty solid in the top seven, although they different a bit in picks 5-7. All seem to have Sabrina Ionescu, Satou Sabally, Lauren Cox and Chennedy Carter as the top four.

After that, it looks like Tyasha Harris, Bella Alarie and Megan Walker could be picks five through seven, although the service aren't sure of a unified order of preference for these three. For reference, I looked at ESPN, Bleacher Report, CBS Sports, College Sports Madness and BBall Index rankings and prognostications.

Jazmine Jones and Kylee Shook are getting attention as possible second round or third round prospects. I've seen Kylee picked as high as 19th. and Jaz as high as 22nd. Jaz has indicated she spoken with five different WNBA teams. Kylee hasn't revealed anything about her process or contacts. UofL WBB SID Nick Evans had indicated Kylee hasn't been feeling well the last couple of days, though, and wasn't able to do a scheduled teleconference with Jaz on Wednesday.

We don't know when (or if) the WNBA will have a 2020 season yet, of course. We do know that Jaz has an agent and has signed a contract to play in Europe for a French Team called tarbes Gespe Bigorre, in the French National league and a part of Eurobasketball. Tarbes was the runner-up in the 2017-18 season in the French league.

Best wishes and good luck to both Kylee and Jazmine in the draft tonight!

--sonja--

Reactions: Deeva and mwatson61
Great update Sonja. Here’s what the CJ has to say about tonight’s Draft. Looking forward to watching something live and of interest again on ESPN.

Louisville’s Jazmine Jones (23)
CARDS UP IN WNBA DRAFT

Kylee Shook and Jazmine Jones projected to go in third round

Hayes Gardner

Louisville Courier Journal | USA TODAY NETWORK

The 2020 WNBA Draft will be held on Friday, and Louisville is expected to have at least one former player drafted for the third straight year. Two Cardinals — Kylee Shook and Jazmine Jones — are included in draft projections and generally slotted as thirdround picks. ? The WNBA has 12 teams, each receiving three picks in Friday’s draft (ESPN, 7 p.m.), which will be done virtually.

Louisville’s Jazmine Jones (23) and Kylee Shook (21) celebrate after beating Kentucky on Dec. 15, 2019. SCOTT UTTERBACK/COURIER JOURNAL

Louisville’s Asia Durr was the No. 2 overall pick in last year’s draft, and while Shook and Jones won’t be selected as highly, they may sneak into the second round.

ESPN analyst LaChina Robinson tweeted that she would be “shocked” to see both of them available in the third round.

Jones was named All-ACC first team after averaging 14.1 points, 5.0 rebounds, 3.4 assists and 1.5 steals, and her mid-range jump shot, defensive versatility and energy have landed her on the radar of pro teams. Five WNBA squads have reached out to the 6-foot guard.

“Jaz has some high upside. She’s athletic. She can shoot the 3 at a high clip,” New York Liberty coach Walt Hopkins said.

Said Jones: “I think I can bring a high-energy, high-volume player with a motor.”

ESPN projects Jones as the No. 35 overall pick, while The Athletic has her at No. 32. Jones will watch the draft from her couch in Louisville, on a video call with her family members in Florida.

“I’m a little nervous, to say the least, but I’m also excited. It’s just going to be a dream come true to possibly hear my name Friday,” she said.

Shook, Louisville’s all-time leader in blocked shots, is also likely to hear her name. Both ESPN and The Athletic predict her to be selected early in the third round, by the New York Liberty at No. 26.

Shook is a tantalizing pro power forward prospect because of her size (6foot-4), shot-blocking ability (Louisville’s all-time leader in blocks) and her ability to face-up and jump shoot, particularly in pick-and-pop situations. She averaged 10.1 points, 8.1 rebounds and 2.7 blocks as a senior, earning ACC Defensive Player of the Year honors and connecting on 28 3-pointers for a 36.8%.

“Kylee’s a high level defender, shoots the 3,” Hopkins said.

Louisville’s Bionca Dunham and Yacine Diop also could be selected in Friday’s virtual draft, although it doesn’t seem likely. Overseas pro contracts could be in their futures, and the same is true for Jones and Shook: Jones has already signed to play with a French team after the WNBA season — should it be held.

WNBA training camps were scheduled to begin later this month, with the season beginning in mid-May, but those dates have now been postponed. When, and if, the season will begin amid coronavirus concerns is to be determined.

There are more starting spots in the NBA (150) than there are roster spots in the WNBA (144), so securing a place on a WNBA team is difficult. Second and third-round picks, especially, are not guaranteed a slot on a team; however, Jones and Shook could be unique and versatile enough to land a professional gig in the best women’s basketball league in the world.

Hayes Gardner can be reached at hgardner@gannett.com; Twitter: @HayesGardner; Support strong local journalism by subscribing today: courier-journal.com/subscribe.

Reactions: Deeva
Looks like we are all fans of the New York Liberty! Kylie and Jaz reunite with Asia! Jazmine and Kylie were picked back to back, #12 and #13.

Reactions: mattp58
Jazz a first rounder. Kylee the #1 pick in Round 2.

Congratulations.

couldn’t be happier for two wonderful people.

Such great news for both of them. Now...work hard, bust ass, and be aggressive - make the roster.

Great update Sonja. Here’s what the CJ has to say about tonight’s Draft. Looking forward to watching something live and of interest again on ESPN.

Louisville’s Jazmine Jones (23)
CARDS UP IN WNBA DRAFT

Kylee Shook and Jazmine Jones projected to go in third round

Hayes Gardner

Louisville Courier Journal | USA TODAY NETWORK

The 2020 WNBA Draft will be held on Friday, and Louisville is expected to have at least one former player drafted for the third straight year. Two Cardinals — Kylee Shook and Jazmine Jones — are included in draft projections and generally slotted as thirdround picks. ? The WNBA has 12 teams, each receiving three picks in Friday’s draft (ESPN, 7 p.m.), which will be done virtually.

Louisville’s Jazmine Jones (23) and Kylee Shook (21) celebrate after beating Kentucky on Dec. 15, 2019. SCOTT UTTERBACK/COURIER JOURNAL

Louisville’s Asia Durr was the No. 2 overall pick in last year’s draft, and while Shook and Jones won’t be selected as highly, they may sneak into the second round.

ESPN analyst LaChina Robinson tweeted that she would be “shocked” to see both of them available in the third round.

Jones was named All-ACC first team after averaging 14.1 points, 5.0 rebounds, 3.4 assists and 1.5 steals, and her mid-range jump shot, defensive versatility and energy have landed her on the radar of pro teams. Five WNBA squads have reached out to the 6-foot guard.

“Jaz has some high upside. She’s athletic. She can shoot the 3 at a high clip,” New York Liberty coach Walt Hopkins said.

Said Jones: “I think I can bring a high-energy, high-volume player with a motor.”

ESPN projects Jones as the No. 35 overall pick, while The Athletic has her at No. 32. Jones will watch the draft from her couch in Louisville, on a video call with her family members in Florida.

“I’m a little nervous, to say the least, but I’m also excited. It’s just going to be a dream come true to possibly hear my name Friday,” she said.

Shook, Louisville’s all-time leader in blocked shots, is also likely to hear her name. Both ESPN and The Athletic predict her to be selected early in the third round, by the New York Liberty at No. 26.

Shook is a tantalizing pro power forward prospect because of her size (6foot-4), shot-blocking ability (Louisville’s all-time leader in blocks) and her ability to face-up and jump shoot, particularly in pick-and-pop situations. She averaged 10.1 points, 8.1 rebounds and 2.7 blocks as a senior, earning ACC Defensive Player of the Year honors and connecting on 28 3-pointers for a 36.8%.

“Kylee’s a high level defender, shoots the 3,” Hopkins said.

Louisville’s Bionca Dunham and Yacine Diop also could be selected in Friday’s virtual draft, although it doesn’t seem likely. Overseas pro contracts could be in their futures, and the same is true for Jones and Shook: Jones has already signed to play with a French team after the WNBA season — should it be held.

WNBA training camps were scheduled to begin later this month, with the season beginning in mid-May, but those dates have now been postponed. When, and if, the season will begin amid coronavirus concerns is to be determined.

There are more starting spots in the NBA (150) than there are roster spots in the WNBA (144), so securing a place on a WNBA team is difficult. Second and third-round picks, especially, are not guaranteed a slot on a team; however, Jones and Shook could be unique and versatile enough to land a professional gig in the best women’s basketball league in the world.

Hayes Gardner can be reached at hgardner@gannett.com; Twitter: @HayesGardner; Support strong local journalism by subscribing today: courier-journal.com/subscribe.

I don't know much about Hayes Gardner, he's a new one at the C-J..

--sonja--

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT