ADVERTISEMENT

We have no chance next Saturday.

Louisvillian

6000+
Oct 27, 2006
Love Coach Mack and this wonderful group of Cardinals but Cats are just better by 32 points IMO. L1C4....

All I know is the slappies better win...

Decade20of20LPT20Basketball_zps20w3vdfk.jpg

Going to be an interesting game. Enoch and Williams must come to play. Our front court will definitely be tested.

Yesterday’s Kentucky win didn’t change my mind about next weeks game, however, we will beat Carolina when we play them at home.

Reactions: Deeva
The best way to beat UK is to get Reid Travis or Washington into foul trouble. That is the only inside game that UK can rely on. UofL needs to make at least 6 Threes to stay ahead of UK fast pace, athletic, long back court.

Yesterday’s Kentucky win didn’t change my mind about next weeks game, however, we will beat Carolina when we play them at home.

Not sure if you’re joking or not but I like the Cards to beat UK next week and Carolina when we play them later in the season.

Carolina was playing way too fast. I know Roy likes to run and gun... UNC looked out of control for most of the game yesterday to me though.

Louisville v. Kentucky will be a different style of game.

My biggest concern is Travis and Washington.

Reading this post after posting asking for tickets... As a UK fan this will be a close game leaning towards UL... UNC got beat solely because they couldn't hold on to the ball. How many turnovers did they have! Crazy!
But UK is starting to improve like they usually do with a young team. I just feel Mack who is a great game day coach will outcoach Calipari and pull out the win... I try to be unbias, but I'm really excited about this game... Good luck to you all... Glad to see UL basketball on right track. Try to support all Kentucky teams.
Have a Merry Xmas

At home I think we can handle UK. I worry most about Washington, but he seems to disappear as often as he shows up. Their PG is supposed to be pretty good defensively, but outside of that they don't seem to have enough at PG for anybody to be scared of UK. I say entice them into shooting a ton of 3s and we win without too much difficulty.

Reactions: MdWIldcat55
At home I think we can handle UK. I worry most about Washington, but he seems to disappear as often as he shows up. Their PG is supposed to be pretty good defensively, but outside of that they don't seem to have enough at PG for anybody to be scared of UK. I say entice them into shooting a ton of 3s and we win without too much difficulty.
Hagans isn't a "pretty good" defender. He is an elite defender. It's interesting that you think you'll beat UK "without too much difficulty". I bet CM isnt so sure. It will be a good game though and that's because of CM's efforts.

Hagans isn't a "pretty good" defender. He is an elite defender. It's interesting that you think you'll beat UK "without too much difficulty". I bet CM isnt so sure. It will be a good game though and that's because of CM's efforts.
He’s still a freshman, and he’s prone to making freshman mistakes. As for our team, well we have a guy that is a pretty damn good defender in Perry and Fore.

Reading this post after posting asking for tickets... As a UK fan this will be a close game leaning towards UL... UNC got beat solely because they couldn't hold on to the ball. How many turnovers did they have! Crazy!
But UK is starting to improve like they usually do with a young team. I just feel Mack who is a great game day coach will outcoach Calipari and pull out the win... I try to be unbias, but I'm really excited about this game... Good luck to you all... Glad to see UL basketball on right track. Try to support all Kentucky teams.
Have a Merry Xmas
UNC and UofK both had 18 turnovers. UofK won the game because they owned the glass.

Reactions: awf and gocds
He’s still a freshman, and he’s prone to making freshman mistakes. As for our team, well we have a guy that is a pretty damn good defender in Perry and Fore.
Hagans had 8 steals against UNC and he also had 5 turnovers. Somewhat of a wash if you ask me.

Reactions: zipp and UL_1986
Just for clarification, which one are you talking about? You mentioned 2 guys.

Going to be a very close game the team that wins the rebounding and foul contest win by 5 biggins

You should probably slow your roll on the “elite defender” stuff. Freshman are almost never elite anythings in college. And my statement about the game is even more interesting – and honest - if you use the whole quote, which was . . “entice them into shooting a ton of 3s and we win without too much difficulty.” As always, UK’s “shooters” are freshmen, so basically by definition they’re not great shooters.

It’s almost always the case that “great” high school shooters (otherwise talented enough to play Division I) start out as only decent college shooters. Just like great college shooters start out as only decent NBA shooters. Although shooting is an innate skill, good shooters develop into great shooters only with age and time. Freshmen shooters are simply not on par with upperclassmen (I would have thought watching your team's game against Seton Hall would have demonstrated that fact to a UK fan - once again), just like college players are not on par with NBA vets when it comes to shooting. So, again, I believe if we can get UK to fire up 22+ 3-point shots, instead of using their strength inside, we win without too much difficulty (5-7 points).

You should probably slow your roll on the “elite defender” stuff. Freshman are almost never elite anythings in college. And my statement about the game is even more interesting – and honest - if you use the whole quote, which was . . “entice them into shooting a ton of 3s and we win without too much difficulty.” As always, UK’s “shooters” are freshmen, so basically by definition they’re not great shooters.

It’s almost always the case that “great” high school shooters (otherwise talented enough to play Division I) start out as only decent college shooters. Just like great college shooters start out as only decent NBA shooters. Although shooting is an innate skill, good shooters develop into great shooters only with age and time. Freshmen shooters are simply not on par with upperclassmen (I would have thought watching your team's game against Seton Hall would have demonstrated that fact to a UK fan - once again), just like college players are not on par with NBA vets when it comes to shooting. So, again, I believe if we can get UK to fire up 22+ 3-point shots, instead of using their strength inside, we win without too much difficulty (5-7 points).
Currently, Keldon Johnson has the 9th best 3pt shooting rate for a single season at UK. In 10-11, freshman Doron Lamb registered the 5th best season ever. Kyle Wiltjer registered the 17th best season his freshman year. Jamal Murray and Devin Booker are in the top 31. We are shooting 37% as a team from 3. The Seton Hall cherry picking doesn't prove much. Also, we're rebounding 38% of our misses. I don't think you can deal with our inside presence, at all and thinking you handle us "without too much difficulty" is a bit much. We'll see in 3 days.

Reactions: awf and jrollins24
Currently, Keldon Johnson has the 9th best 3pt shooting rate for a single season at UK. In 10-11, freshman Doron Lamb registered the 5th best season ever. Kyle Wiltjer registered the 17th best season his freshman year. Jamal Murray and Devin Booker are in the top 31. We are shooting 37% as a team from 3. The Seton Hall cherry picking doesn't prove much. Also, we're rebounding 38% of our misses. I don't think you can deal with our inside presence, at all and thinking you handle us "without too much difficulty" is a bit much. We'll see in 3 days.
The mention of UK’s recent game against Seton Hall was not “cherry picking?” You fail to understand the reference. The point was that Seton Hall had a real shooter – Myles Powell, an upperclassman. I bet Powell was a really good high school shooter. But as a freshman at Seton Hall, not so much. Now, as a junior at Seton Hall he made your shooters look like novices by comparison. And gauging a shooter at this level is not simply a matter of looking at percentages. Powell shoots better heavily defended than any of your guys can shoot when left wide open. The wide-open shots your guys are lucky to hit at a 34% clip, Powell would probably make at a 66% rate.

And yeah, guys like Booker and Murray would kill shooting 3s in college now. They’re so much better shooters than they were in college that it’s not even comparable. But this isn’t the NBA, and all you’ve got are freshmen shooters who are but a shadow of what they’ll be someday – when they’re gone from UK. So, again, I pray those freshmen shooters of yours fire up a ton of 3s – I don’t even think it’s too important to guard the 3-point line against UK.

The mention of UK’s recent game against Seton Hall was not “cherry picking?” You fail to understand the reference. The point was that Seton Hall had a real shooter – Myles Powell, an upperclassman. I bet Powell was a really good high school shooter. But as a freshman at Seton Hall, not so much. Now, as a junior at Seton Hall he made your shooters look like novices by comparison. And gauging a shooter at this level is not simply a matter of looking at percentages. Powell shoots better heavily defended than any of your guys can shoot when left wide open. The wide-open shots your guys are lucky to hit at a 34% clip, Powell would probably make at a 66% rate.

And yeah, guys like Booker and Murray would kill shooting 3s in college now. They’re so much better shooters than they were in college that it’s not even comparable. But this isn’t the NBA, and all you’ve got are freshmen shooters who are but a shadow of what they’ll be someday – when they’re gone from UK. So, again, I pray those freshmen shooters of yours fire up a ton of 3s – I don’t even think it’s too important to guard the 3-point line against UK.
If you don't call Powells game cherry picking, I'm afraid you don't know what it means. Um, Keldon is shooting 46%, Powell is shooting 38%. You must just be trolling at this point because you just keep ignoring simple facts.

If you don't call Powells game cherry picking, I'm afraid you don't know what it means. Um, Keldon is shooting 46%, Powell is shooting 38%. You must just be trolling at this point because you just keep ignoring simple facts.
Your grasp of concepts is impressive. I now understand. So, “Keldon” is a better 3-point shooter than Myles Powell because his current percentage is higher. Got it.

For example, if I shoot two uncontested 3-pointers and make one, that would mean I’m a better shooter than the guy who shoots 100 3-pointers while being double-teamed, chased around screens, etc. because he only made 42. It’s so simple. I don’t know what I was thinking.

I guess I got confused on what cherry picking meant. I thought it meant, for example, focusing one fact based on a small sample size (like Keldon’s current shooting %) while ignoring other information that would suggest a different conclusion. Of course, it’s obvious to anyone watching college basketball that UK’s young Keldon is clearly a better shooter than Seton Hall’s elder Myles Powell; and UK almost always has superior freshmen 3-point shooters on the floor than the upperclassmen of their opponents.

Powell is a career 37% shooter. I'm not impressed. I can name a dozen UK freshmen who shot better than that with a large sample size and, yes, 3 us larger than 2, regardless of how you try to define each.

Powell is a career 37% shooter. I'm not impressed. I can name a dozen UK freshmen who shot better than that with a large sample size and, yes, 3 us larger than 2, regardless of how you try to define each.

But doing that as the number one option and getting the other teams best defenders for 40 minutes is not apples to apples.

Yeah, I thought we were doing a reverse jinx thread. My bad.

Actually,if the Cards limit the cats to one shot per possession,we might see that a$$ whoopin.

I think you're right in that if UK shoots a bunch of 3's--that opens up the possibilities. I feel like this needs to be a physical game played in the paint/on the block for UK.

Should be a really good/close game. If UK plays with great energy like the past couple of games then I think we sneak out a W. UL has looked really good so buckle in y’all!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT