Guardman

Four-Star Poster
Gold Member
Aug 27, 2001
Louisville
Louisville Courier Journal

Vince Tyra's daughter sold homes to new Louisville football coaches

Tim Sullivan, Louisville Courier JournalPublished 10:32 a.m. ET Feb. 7, 2019

Concerned by the appearances of his daughter Sydney Tyra acting as a real estate agent for three of his football coaches, University of Louisville athletic director Vince Tyra has asked that she donate to the university her share of commissions on the sales of more than $3 million in prime property.

“I’m sure she worked hard on it and did a good job, but in the same vein, I don’t think it’s something I should have to deal with or we should have to deal with – any optics on that,” Tyra said Wednesday afternoon.

“... I don’t know that there’s necessarily a school rule against it, but I’ve been clear about trying to come in and run a program without any poor optics on this kind of stuff.”

U of L head football coach Scott Satterfield and two of his top assistants have used Sydney Tyra as an agent in relocating to Louisville. Last week, Satterfield purchased a $1.6 million estate about a football field away from the Prospect property of Cardinals’ basketball coach Chris Mack. Dwayne Ledford and Bryan Brown, U of L’s new offensive and defensive coordinators, have selected slightly more modest homes in Lake Forest.

Though all three of the coaches said Wednesday that they felt no pressure to hire the boss’s daughter, a licensed agent with Homepage Realty, the university is acutely sensitive to perceptions of conflicting interests and self-dealing following the 2017 audit of the U of L Foundation.

“We are aware of the concerns raised about the business relationship between Vince Tyra’s daughter, Sydney, and three of our football coaches,” university spokesman John Karman said. “Vince understands that even the appearance of conflict could damage his reputation and that of the university, and he has assured us that he will avoid similar situations in the future. Meanwhile, Sydney Tyra has decided to donate her commissions from these sales to the university.”

Sydney Tyra did not immediately respond to interview requests placed Wednesday.

“She’s a good kid, worked really hard,” Homepage Realty founder George Barrett said. “(But) right now, she’s not able to enjoy what should be a big deal for her. Hopefully she understands (and) she doesn’t get discouraged by this.”

Last edited:
Reactions: gocds
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News