ADVERTISEMENT

"Vince Tyra nipped it..."

Looks like we just got 5 of that 14 million covered
Petrino will receive close to $5 million this year.

UPS will pay U of L about $0.4 million this year. (And that money is earmarked for a specific purpose.)

I don't need a computer to tell me where "Vince" stands...

Speaking of lawyers and lawsuits...

LINK

Petrino couldn't afford to lose a $14 million lawsuit anymore than "Vince" could raise the money to pay it...

Speaking of lawyers and lawsuits...

LINK

Petrino couldn't afford to lose a $14 million lawsuit anymore than "Vince" could raise the money to pay it...
He would not have lost. He had a written contract. The terms were clear. You can throw Wikipedia around all you want. He had professional representation. You are engaging in fantasy now. Just accept that you’ve lost the argument and take it like a man.

He would not have lost. He had a written contract...
U of L was a party to Petrino's contract as well. Rick Pitino had a written contract and (so far) got nothing. Les Miles had a contract and was fired without cause.

A gazillion people have "lost" with contracts. You don't know WTF you're talking about, and you keep trying to ground your arguments in hypotheticals to make "Vince" look good.

Try a new approach that doesn't involve practicing law without a license...

Last edited:
U of L was a party to Petrino's contract as well. Rick Pitino had a written contract and (so far) got nothing. Les Miles had a contract and was fired without cause.

A gazillion people have "lost" with contracts. You don't know WTF you're talking about, and you keep trying to ground your arguments in hypotheticals to make "Vince" look good.

Try a new approach that doesn't involve practicing law without a license...
Les Miles didn’t walk away empty-handed. He had a contract. The Rick Pitino situation is not resolved, but you have argued in other threads that he will, and should be, paid per his contract. UofL WAS party to that contract. Was there a win total guaranteed them? How did Bobby violate or otherwise void the deal? I am not “practicing” law. I am merely stating facts which do not support your argument. There are no hypotheticals here.

Reactions: gocards1987
Les Miles didn’t walk away empty-handed. He had a contract. The Rick Pitino situation is not resolved, but you have argued in other threads that he will, and should be, paid per his contract. UofL WAS party to that contract. Was there a win total guaranteed them? How did Bobby violate or otherwise void the deal? I am not “practicing” law. I am merely stating facts which do not support your argument. There are no hypotheticals here.
You're projecting what would have happened in a legal matter--hard to do that without "practicing law" unless you're very experienced in contract law which I doubt.

I never said Petrino would walk away "empty handed". That's what SETTLEMENT means, and I've quoted you the 95% statistic many times. And I never claimed that Pitino would be paid, only that I wanna see him suing clown show a$$ up and down 3rd Street.

You either miss many points in a debate or you're purposefully naive. Not good attributes when you're playing lawyer...

You're projecting what would have happened in a legal matter--hard to do that without "practicing law" unless you're very experienced in contract law which I doubt.

I never said Petrino would walk away "empty handed". That's what SETTLEMENT means, and I've quoted you the 95% statistic many times. And I never claimed that Pitino would be paid, only that I wanna see him suing clown show a$$ up and down 3rd Street.

You either miss many points in a debate or you're purposefully naive. Not good attributes when you're playing lawyer...
You’ve projected what would have happened in a legal matter - and based upon public knowledge - it’s obvious that you’re neither experienced in contract or any other type of law. You’ve additionally projected what would have happened in an athletic department matter, and you have even less experience there. The only thing it seems you won’t discuss, is why you are refusing to accept my wager.

Why is that “zipp”?

What Miles decided to do is what Miles decided to do. He is a quirky guy. Why you think Bobby would accept about 20 cents on the dollar is beyond me. You don’t have to “play lawyer” to understand what a contract calls for. The rest is about Bobby and UofL, and what they wanted. No law degree required. No more projection than what you are doing WRT your hypothetical. This is a deflection, probably necessary due to the weakness of your argument. To think that Bobby would accept a payout sharply reduced from what he was due strikes me as “purposefully naive”.

“Zipp” - if you were on uofl’s side in this contract termination dispute, what rationale would you use to not honor the terms of the contract? What would be the specific basis for taking that action, thereby opening up potential litigation?

What Miles decided to do is what Miles decided to do. He is a quirky guy. Why you think Bobby would accept about 20 cents on the dollar is beyond me. You don’t have to “play lawyer” to understand what a contract calls for. The rest is about Bobby and UofL, and what they wanted. No law degree required. No more projection than what you are doing WRT your hypothetical. This is a deflection, probably necessary due to the weakness of your argument. To think that Bobby would accept a payout sharply reduced from what he was due strikes me as “purposefully naive”.
LOL... Now let's start talking about what you know about Miles, Petrino, AND THEIR LAWYERS.

You branch off one hypothetical to other hypotheticals and failed ATTEMPTS at knowledge--you don't know these people--in your effort to defend "Vince". It's comical.

Stick to the facts, if you have any on your side of the debate. I don't think you do...
  • "Vince" paid Petrino's full buyout.
  • That was a decision by "Vince".
And you know the rest, although I can state them again...

“Zipp” - if you were on uofl’s side in this contract termination dispute, what rationale would you use to not honor the terms of the contract? What would be the specific basis for taking that action, thereby opening up potential litigation?
That's a hypothetical, and I'm not a lawyer nor are you. I simply recognize that not paying was an option, and going to court a likely outcome. And I look no further than what happened to Pitino as evidence.

Am I saying "Vince" made a bad decision? No. But that was his decision, and he has to own what it involves. That was paying $14 million.

The problem is you guys wanna commend "Vince" for a decision like firing Petrino, and then you wanna extricate him from the consequences. Great tactic, if you can get away with it...

That's a hypothetical, and I'm not a lawyer nor are you. I simply recognize that not paying was an option, and going to court a likely outcome. And I look no further than what happened to Pitino as evidence.

Am I saying "Vince" made a bad decision? No. But that was his decision, and he has to own what it involves. That was paying $14 million.

The problem is you guys wanna commend "Vince" for a decision like firing Petrino, and then you wanna extricate him from the consequences. Great tactic, if you can get away with it...

Does there not need to be some basis for breaking the terms of a contract? If not, would litigation not be a waste of time and additional money?

Reactions: BPGhost
LOL... Now let's start talking about what you know about Miles, Petrino, AND THEIR LAWYERS.

You branch off one hypothetical to other hypotheticals and failed ATTEMPTS at knowledge--you don't know these people--in your effort to defend "Vince". It's comical.

Stick to the facts, if you have any on your side of the debate. I don't think you do...
  • "Vince" paid Petrino's full buyout.
  • That was a decision by "Vince".
And you know the rest, although I can state them again...
What is it about a contract that you don’t understand? This does not take a law degree. BOBBY HAD A CONTRACT. If there was to be a lower buyout, the two sides had to agree. One side can’t just snap it’s fingers and pay whatever they want. The terms must be honored by both sides. If it went to court, or even arbitration, Bobby would win. That’s why people have contracts. Honorable people abide by them. I know I do.

As regards Vince NQ, it has nothing to do with making him “look good”. It has to do with a defense of reality. Your “facts” are highly selective.

I don’t commend Vince NQ for anything. He did the needful. I just don’t criticize him for it.

“Zipp” - do you realize that if the Petrino wasn’t given the negotiated terms of his contract that he could then sue not only for the liquidated damages but also for compensatory damages? So yeah, 95% of cases might not make it to trial but UofL might be facing a $20M lawsuit and costly attorneys fees instead of the$14M stipulated in the contract.

I really hate getting back to the original premise of the thread...

But instead of me, maybe a couple of you guys need to discuss with Lach and Andy the decision to pay Petrino his full buyout. You know, two of the biggest apologists for "Vince" on a radio station that apologizes for him 24/7. Maybe they thought "Vince" had some kinda magic wand... :p

I really hate getting back to the original premise of the thread...

But instead of me, maybe a couple of you guys need to discuss with Lach and Andy the decision to pay Petrino his full buyout. You know, two of the biggest apologists for "Vince" on a radio station that apologizes for him 24/7. Maybe they thought "Vince" had some kinda magic wand... :p

So have they discussed the possibility that UofL could’ve opened itself up to exposure greater than the $14M? Do you think that would’ve been worth the risk?

So have they discussed the possibility that UofL could’ve opened itself up to exposure greater than the $14M? Do you think that would’ve been worth the risk?
I have no idea how they analyzed the situation. What's clear is they don't think Jurich would have paid Petrino $14 million. And those guys love "Vince"...

I have no idea how they analyzed the situation. What's clear is they don't think Jurich would have paid Petrino $14 million. And those guys love "Vince"...

What’s your thought? Do you think UofL could’ve been open to more exposure than $14M had that not adhered to the details of the contract? 95% of cases go to settlement. Would that have been a good thing for UofL?

What’s your thought? Do you think UofL could’ve been open to more exposure than $14M had that not adhered to the details of the contract? 95% of cases go to settlement. Would that have been a good thing for UofL?
Along with firing him, let's say U of L also decided not to pay Petrino his full buyout--or try--and wanted to talk to him about that. A discussion doesn't commit either side, and I think Petrino would have had that discussion. That doesn't cost U of L a dime; you can talk without bringing in lawyers.

If "Vince" has any transferable skills, he should be able to negotiate. I'll concede that he's been in million-dollar negotiations before on other subjects and involving contracts. If he had a negotiation in this case, it was very fast, and he came away with little or nothing. And I don't understand that. If he worked for me, he would be accountable for that outcome or having a good explanation.

That should have been the first thing that was said after "Vince" announced it was terminating Petrino, something to the effect of "we're entering into negotiations to end his contract early." That's the bare minimum of expectations. And it's not like we have millions to just pi$$ away...

Last edited:
But wait....isn’t that one of those illegal “hypotheticals” you’re always complaining about? I guess it’s ok if it supports you.

Along with firing him, let's say U of L also decided not to pay Petrino his full buyout--or try--and wanted to talk to him about that. A discussion doesn't commit either side, and I think Petrino would have had that discussion. That doesn't cost U of L a dime; you can talk without bringing in lawyers.

If "Vince" has any transferable skills, he should be able to negotiate. I'll concede that he's been in million-dollar negotiations before on other subjects and involving contracts. If he had a negotiation in this case, it was very fast, and he came away with little or nothing. And I don't understand that. If he worked for me, he would be accountable for that outcome or having a good explanation.

That should have been the first thing that was said after "Vince" announced it was terminating Petrino, something to the effect of "we're entering into negotiations to end his contract early." That's the bare minimum of expectations. And it's not like we have millions to just pi$$ away...
You don’t know that he didn’t try. But Bobby had no reason to take less. Another hypothetical, I see. I thought those weren’t allowed.

But wait....isn’t that one of those illegal “hypotheticals” you’re always complaining about? I guess it’s ok if it supports you.
It's a hypothetical by "Vince" supporters that's 180 degrees opposite to yours which you present as ironclad and incontrovertible. Yours is obviously neither.
You don’t know that he didn’t try. But Bobby had no reason to take less. Another hypothetical, I see. I thought those weren’t allowed.
I was asked to speculate. I don't ground my arguments in hypotheticals as some do. I don't need those nor am I having a debate based on them.

If "Vince" attempted a negotiation and was spurned--which I highly doubt--he should have said so. He had ample time to prepare for the event (Petrino's firing), and he should have had his ducks in a row. He didn't try, caved completely, and/or sucks at negotiating. You pick which one of those you wanna assign cause-and-effect to...

So the thief would have slinked away with less than 14 mill......

Im sure with ACC network revenue coming, the Hickman Camp fund and other UofL coffers will be replenished.

You lose
Again.......

I was just at Wildwood CC to hear Tyra speak. He spoke about the ACC Network and the boost in revenue. It won't be immediate. He said the first year they expect about $1M in revenue, but that money will be reinvested towards athletics, and, primarily, the Broadcast Center for staffing and production. It won't be until 3-5 years that they'll start seeing significant revenue similar to what other conferences with network deals make.

Other things he mentioned: they've had back door dealings with regards to the '13 banner getting rehung, but he noted he does not want to poke the bear (NCAA). He said there is no statue of limitations on this, which I took as meaning be patient. They are working on it.

He brought up fans being Team Jurich or Team Tyra. He said don't be either. Be Team Louisville, because UofL will still be there once he's gone.

He took questions, and one guy asked about the current scandal involving not just UofL, but all of college basketball, and if he was doing anything about it. He said they weren't doing anything, because the NCAA hasn't said anything to them. He addressed his previous dealings with the NCAA, and it is clear he is no fan of theirs. He said the best case scenario would be for the NCAA to go away, which got a laugh, but he quickly backed off that comment.

Reactions: zipp
It's a hypothetical by "Vince" supporters that's 180 degrees opposite to yours which you present as ironclad and incontrovertible. Yours is obviously neither.

I was asked to speculate. I don't ground my arguments in hypotheticals as some do. I don't need those nor am I having a debate based on them.

If "Vince" attempted a negotiation and was spurned--which I highly doubt--he should have said so. He had ample time to prepare for the event (Petrino's firing), and he should have had his ducks in a row. He didn't try, caved completely, and/or sucks at negotiating. You pick which one of those you wanna assign cause-and-effect to...

I don’t see any upside to challenging the contract and in fact downside risk was more probable. Not sure if Sweeney considered that.

Additionally the contract wasn’t great for UofL because there was no mitigation of damages clause for Petrino. The best practices approach is to include that clause in a coaches contract so it makes it a necessity that they actively seek out employment elsewhere.

To late. Vampiro will be along around midnight to pump up the 'failed" three, while taking shots at Coach Mack and Tyra.
Is it OK if I start a little early? One thing I vow not to tell anyone is "done deal"...

simply, Vince took out the Trash. Glad he did it. Tj's hires were stinking up the campus, our reputation, and income streams. Tj will be remembered for just as much trouble that happened under his watch than any good he did. his name will slowly fade into school oblivion. Glad vince is doing the things to erase tj's memory no matter the $$$ paid.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
simply, Vince took out the Trash. Glad he did it. Tj's hires were stinking up the campus, our reputation, and income streams. Tj will be remembered for just as much trouble that happened under his watch than any good he did. his name will slowly fade into school oblivion. Glad vince is doing the things to erase tj's memory no matter the $$$ paid.
A little tough in Jurich, don’t you think? CRP is a Hall of fame coach and CBP had a strong track record of (college) success, even if it came with some baggage. As far as we know, Bobby kept that baggage in the closet while he was here. If Tom can be faulted for anything, it was sticking too strong with Rick and essentially tying his fate to him. The other Jurich hires, Waltz, McDonnel, Albiero and others were (and are) excellent. TJ may have hurt his cause by being “too successful”, leaving the academics in his dust. They should have been taking notes. Instead they whined. In the end, they got what they wanted - mediocrity. At least for now.

A little tough in Jurich, don’t you think? CRP is a Hall of fame coach and CBP had a strong track record of (college) success, even if it came with some baggage. As far as we know, Bobby kept that baggage in the closet while he was here. If Tom can be faulted for anything, it was sticking too strong with Rick and essentially tying his fate to him. The other Jurich hires, Waltz, McDonnel, Albiero and others were (and are) excellent. TJ may have hurt his cause by being “too successful”, leaving the academics in his dust. They should have been taking notes. Instead they whined. In the end, they got what they wanted - mediocrity. At least for now.
Surprisingly good epitaph.

And for anyone wanting to resurrect this thread, the topic is what was actually under the control of "Vince" as far as Petrino's exit and buyout. Sometimes we need reminders...

The bad outweighed the good as far as Jurich.

The golden parachute given to the thief Petrino, was the nail in the coffin.

Overall, his failures to monitor and discipline trumps his hires and building up of sports facilities.

His name will fade to the background.

It’s stunning how quick so many of our so called fans have turned on Tom. Tom guided our school to heights that our fathers couldn’t have dreamed of and doesn’t deserve to be kicked to the curb.

The Man, like us all, had faults and made mistakes. No way Bobby should’ve had that contract considering the state of programs after he left, including our own. His faith in Bobby clouded his memory of the mess Krag was left with.

There’s no doubt that our football team quit, as did Bobby. I know he was facing a lot of off the field adversity but no way should he have had a contract like that. The effort and/or recruiting on his part took us from playoff talk to being one of the absolute worst most tragic teams in the country. Love Tom but that’s on him. Vince had to act. No choice.

I might be the only person to say this but I had several run-ins with Bobby and felt he was a good man. Hate to see how it ended but things seemed to have come full circle between he and the Ville.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT