ADVERTISEMENT

"Vince Tyra nipped it..."

zipp

Elite Member
Jun 26, 2001
per Andy Sweeney of ESPN AM 680. This was in reference to "Vince" buying out Petrino...

"I mean, Tom [Jurich] wasn’t here. Tom would not have done what, in my estimation, Vince Tyra did..."

Lachlan MacLean: "Vince wrote a check because he knew it wasn’t getting any better..."

LINK

Open the file for Hour 2 on February 18th. The quotes start a little past the 34-minute mark in a discussion about IU facing that same issue with Archie Miller.

And before anyone snipes about these sources, these guys bend over backward to extol the virtues of "Vince" on a weekly basis. Many recall Lachlan getting torpedoed by Jurich while he was at WHAS radio, one of Jurich's brighter moments.

The analysis of two boobs as to whether "Vince" was justified doing what he did is irrelevant. Their opinion of the latest and greatest U of L AD is that Petrino was paid a king's ransom because of THAT guy...

per Andy Sweeney of ESPN AM 680. This was in reference to "Vince" buying out Petrino...

"I mean, Tom [Jurich] wasn’t here. Tom would not have done what, in my estimation, Vince Tyra did..."

Lachlan MacLean: "Vince wrote a check because he knew it wasn’t getting any better..."

LINK

Open the file for Hour 2 on February 18th. The quotes start a little past the 34-minute mark in a discussion about IU facing that same issue with Archie Miller.

And before anyone snipes about these sources, these guys bend over backward to extol the virtues of "Vince" on a weekly basis. Many recall Lachlan getting torpedoed by Jurich while he was at WHAS radio, one of Jurich's brighter moments.

The analysis of two boobs as to whether "Vince" was justified doing what he did is irrelevant. Their opinion of the latest and greatest U of L AD is that Petrino was paid a king's ransom because of THAT guy...

I didn’t do the “link” because I’m not going to do the link. Anyone who has ever read anything I’ve ever said about Tom Jurich knows that I’m a TJ guy, both now and in the past. However, TJ did, in fact, give CBP the 14 million buyout and we are hamstrung with that contractural stipulation. Two things are for sure; one, TJ (and us as a fanbase) made a mistake with Bobby and, two, TJ the buyout was the opposite of what should have happened. There was a buyout to be paid by a competitor for Bobby’s services because of his lurid past actions of “moving on” but there should have never been a buyout for firing CBP. Hind sight is always 20/20 and I hope “rookie” AD Tyra has learned from TJ’s mistake. Oh, also Lachlan is a horrible dumb @$$ and I’m surprised that you ever, EVER listen to him and that idiot partner of his. Just my own opinion and I’m entitled.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Reactions: KerryRhodes
As I’ve said, it was a calculation, based on the unknowable - would things have gotten better under Bobby if he was given another year? Would the fans come back? Vince NQ calculated that the damage a Bobby year 6 would have done was greater, over the long term, than the damage the buyout would do. We will never know if that calculation was right. TJ would have had to make the same calculation. We will never know what he would have done, but we know what he had done in the past.

Sooooo, the buyout was setup by TJ, which as stated was a huge error. This program couldn’t have gone one more game with Bobby let alone one more year. His removal was worth 20 Mil to our program. Had we waited we would have had a blood letting that would have taken years to recover. Thank god we had a small recruiting class this year, which I’m sure Vince took into consideration.

So at the end of the day this actually makes TJ look bad, not Vince. More notches for those that blame TJ. As if they needed more ammo.

I to was a TJ supporter (Not a fan as I’m a UofL fan) and appreciate what he did for UofL Athletics. But I’m an equal supporter of Vince; as I look forward.

Why is this being brought up again, especially in reference to IU---who cares. Whats done is done and I couldnt be happier with the firing and hiring.

And to one of the posts, just think about how bad this season was going to be as they werent addressing the blatant misses on the DL and OL.

Reactions: CardsFirst
For anyone late to the dance, the narrative has been that Jurich is mostly responsible for U of L paying $14 million to buy out Petrino a couple months ago. And that's a flawed analysis.

Jurich signed a contract with that stipulation, but "Vince" was the guy who decided to pay it. Like it or not, those are separate events and individuals.

And here are two radio gasbags (to use their self descriptors) who understand that, at least in part. They may blame Jurich for putting "Vince" and U of L in that situation. I'd argue that U of L put itself in that situation by booting Jurich.

You don't get to blame Jurich for (mis)managing U of L athletics now that he's gone. The guy in that seat now bears that responsibility. If he chooses to "nip it", that's on him. I agree with the gasbags...

Its a flawed analysis depending on what side you FULLY support. TJ or UofL. TJ oversaw a program riddled with issues and was given a choice to fire the coach and wouldn't so they expanded the accountability.

Tyra is paid to direct athletics and ensure programs are meeting the mark in competitiveness while representing the univeristy in the best possible light. He made the call and all, but a few of the TJ'ers, are supportive.

For anyone late to the dance, the narrative has been that Jurich is mostly responsible for U of L paying $14 million to buy out Petrino a couple months ago. And that's a flawed analysis.

Jurich signed a contract with that stipulation, but "Vince" was the guy who decided to pay it. Like it or not, those are separate events and individuals.

And here are two radio gasbags (to use their self descriptors) who understand that, at least in part. They may blame Jurich for putting "Vince" and U of L in that situation. I'd argue that U of L put itself in that situation by booting Jurich.

You don't get to blame Jurich for (mis)managing U of L athletics now that he's gone. The guy in that seat now bears that responsibility. If he chooses to "nip it", that's on him. I agree with the gasbags...
I pretty much agree with the above.

But, just to be clear, I also agree with the decisions to terminate Pitino (I did not like the way it was done) and Petrino (expensive but what else could you do)?

I think there was "enough" on Pitino to support the school in a negotiated buyout rather than abrupt termination (no other HC has lost his job from the FBI sting).

If Petrino was still HC I think we would be looking at another football disaster. There was obviously enormous player/staff turmoil and a marginally talented staff to boot. My keen analytical assessment of the situation was the wheels had come off and were damaged beyond repair - new wheels were necessary. And expensive.

No one has more respect for what Tom Jurich did for UofL athletics than I do but I would have loved to see how he handled the recent "Pitino and Petrino situations". In the end, Jurich was rightfully "bought out" by the school.

The temporary leadership of the University was adamant about wholesale changes in the athletic department and they got them. We'll just have to see how it works. But so far I think it (Tyra, Mack and Satterfield) have worked quite well.

Peace

Reactions: TDredbird

But, just to be clear, I also agree with the decisions to terminate Pitino (I did not like the way it was done) and Petrino (expensive but what else could you do)?

I think there was "enough" on Pitino to support the school in a negotiated buyout rather than abrupt termination (no other HC has lost his job from the FBI sting).

If Petrino was still HC I think we would be looking at another football disaster. There was obviously enormous player/staff turmoil and a marginally talented staff to boot. My keen analytical assessment of the situation was the wheels had come off and were damaged beyond repair - new wheels were necessary. And expensive.

No one has more respect for what Tom Jurich did for UofL athletics than I do but I would have loved to see how he handled the recent "Pitino and Petrino situations". In the end, Jurich was rightfully "bought out" by the school.

The temporary leadership of the University was adamant about wholesale changes in the athletic department and they got them. We'll just have to see how it works. But so far I think it (Tyra, Mack and Satterfield) have worked quite well.

Peace
I'm not arguing whether Pitino and Petrino needed to be addressed. In the former guy's case, he had to be transitioned out. Petrino's became more of a fan support issue. Both former coaches IMO would have been managed more expediently with less cost by Jurich. But fundamentally, the clowns wanted Jurich out; so Jurich handling Pitino wasn't an option for them.

The question HERE is was the decision to terminate and pay Petrino his full buyout just that--a decision--or was it something that "Vince" had to do. His apologists wanna argue that "Vince" has no accountability for the Petrino exit. I argue he had plenty of accountability as the AD in charge and making decisions...

I'm not arguing whether Pitino and Petrino needed to be addressed. In the former guy's case, he had to be transitioned out. Petrino's became more of a fan support issue. Both former coaches IMO would have been managed more expediently with less cost by Jurich. But fundamentally, the clowns wanted Jurich out; so Jurich handling Pitino wasn't an option for them.

The question HERE is was the decision to terminate and pay Petrino his full buyout just that--a decision--or was it something that "Vince" had to do. His apologists wanna argue that "Vince" has no accountability for the Petrino exit. I argue he had plenty of accountability as the AD in charge and making decisions...

Soooo zipp are you saying that AD Tyra had the option of “keeping” Petrino here as our head football coach? If that’s what you are saying then pigs will be flying by noon tomorrow. Vince Tyra was in a box. A box that he inherited when he took the job. That box was the contracts with both Pitino and Petrino. WTH if you were Petrino OR Pitino would you renegotiate after the fact? Hell no you wouldn’t as you would expect the contract to be paid out to the letter of the contract. Once again, I am saying that I was a big supporter of Tom Jurich but it was “his” contract that AD Tyra was stuck with. Anything else is balderdash. And, by the way, Pitino was fired prior to Vince Tyra being named to the AD position so the “dog and pony show” was responsible for his “payout” or lack thereof.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

I supported Jurich while he was here and still think his tenure was a net positive for the athletic dept. but like the handling of Pitino, Petrino's contract was not one of the finer things he did during his tenure. It is his fault for giving Petrino that large of a buyout. There is no way you should give a coach that big of a buyout when he was trying to rehab his image. Who were we competing against for Petrino's services? You continue to act like its a fact that Jurich would have somehow talked his way out of the contract but that is your opinion. If you are Jurich why even put yourself in the position that you would have to hope that Petrino is willing to forgo 14 mill because you have a relationship? Friends or not, I'd want my money especially when my friend is firing me.

Our local radio is a bunch of gasbags but they aren't wrong on this matter. Jurich set whoever was AD at the time up to be in a bad place if Petrino didn't work out. You have argued that we should have waited it out but we had a historically bad year last year. Waiting a couple for seasons for the buyout to drop with a couple more seasons like last year was going to be unacceptable to the fans.

Peace

Bobby a fan support issue that’s laughable. You are a piece of work Zipp. Lol

Had Jurich still been in charge, he would have done exactly the same thing that he did with Kragthorpe: give his guy an extra year and hope that he turned it around in 2019, thus avoiding the writing of a $14 million check at all.

Assuming 2019 was not a turnaround year, Jurich’s only play to reduce the buyout would have been to ask him to resign and take something less than the $10.5 million he would have been owed under the contract. I see absolutely no evidence Jurich ever attempted anything like that with any of the coaches he had to replace. Not Denny Crum, not Ron Cooper, and not Steve Kragthorpe. All three of those guys got every penny they were owed under their contract, and in Crum’s case, very significantly more.

Soooo zipp are you saying that AD Tyra had the option of “keeping” Petrino here as our head football coach?...
Tyra had a number of options as AD and Petrino's boss. One of them was firing without cause and paying his full buyout. That is fact.
...Vince Tyra was in a box. A box that he inherited when he took the job. That box was the contracts with both Pitino and Petrino...
IIRC no one was holding a gun to Tyra's head when he said "I'll take the job." If he was in a "box", he walked into it voluntarily.

And I'm not denying that the clown show put "Vince" and themselves in a box when they $hitcanned Jurich--retrospectively without cause since they later paid him HIS buyout. But that was THEIR decision. All of these clowns are responsible for themselves and their decisions. Clown show apologists are the ones who want to give them an out.
...WTH if you were Petrino OR Pitino would you renegotiate after the fact? Hell no you wouldn’t as you would expect the contract to be paid out to the letter of the contract...
Now you're arguing (with) hypotheticals. The OP addresses one such hypothetical--what would Jurich do?--with a different third-party opinion from yours. And that third party historically has SUPPORTED "Vince".
...Once again, I am saying that I was a big supporter of Tom Jurich but it was “his” contract that AD Tyra was stuck with. Anything else is balderdash...
No, it's not "balderdash". It's simply something that you don't wanna acknowledge. I fully appreciate that you supported Jurich. But that contract didn't force "Vince" to do anything. As Andy and Lach attest, it wouldn't have forced Jurich to pay that money in full.
...And, by the way, Pitino was fired prior to Vince Tyra being named to the AD position so the “dog and pony show” was responsible for his “payout” or lack thereof...
Agreed. The clowns are 100% responsible for that one. They had to act with urgency to get at Jurich...

Last edited:
For someone who consistently reminds posters that TJ is no longer the AD and tells them to refrain from bringing him up - “zipp” certainly initiates a lot of unsolicited content specifically about Jurich. o_O
Lach and Andy are big "Vince" apologists. And they brought up Jurich, much as people here do who wanna argue with hypotheticals.

But nice try...

I supported Jurich while he was here and still think his tenure was a net positive for the athletic dept. but like the handling of Pitino, Petrino's contract was not one of the finer things he did during his tenure. It is his fault for giving Petrino that large of a buyout. There is no way you should give a coach that big of a buyout when he was trying to rehab his image...
Petrino's buyout was no bigger than Mack's or Satterfield's. And "rehab his image" is just an after-the-fact story concocted by old regime haters. I continue to ask where those questions were when Petrino inked his contract in 2016. All I get in response are crickets chirping.
...You continue to act like its a fact that Jurich would have somehow talked his way out of the contract but that is your opinion. If you are Jurich why even put yourself in the position that you would have to hope that Petrino is willing to forgo 14 mill because you have a relationship? Friends or not, I'd want my money especially when my friend is firing me...
Coaches' contracts are more or less set in the marketplace. If you don't make a competitive offer, you don't get/keep the coach.

And I don't need that "what would Jurich do" narrative. The FACT is that "Vince" sold the ranch to part ways with Petrino when he had other options. That's the only argument I care to make.
...Our local radio is a bunch of gasbags but they aren't wrong on this matter. Jurich set whoever was AD at the time up to be in a bad place if Petrino didn't work out. You have argued that we should have waited it out but we had a historically bad year last year. Waiting a couple for seasons for the buyout to drop with a couple more seasons like last year was going to be unacceptable to the fans.
Maybe what you say is true. But that's on the people NOW in charge, not their predecessors. If they've guessed wrong, THEY will be responsible...

Last edited:
Had Jurich still been in charge, he would have done exactly the same thing that he did with Kragthorpe: give his guy an extra year and hope that he turned it around in 2019, thus avoiding the writing of a $14 million check at all.

Assuming 2019 was not a turnaround year, Jurich’s only play to reduce the buyout would have been to ask him to resign and take something less than the $10.5 million he would have been owed under the contract. I see absolutely no evidence Jurich ever attempted anything like that with any of the coaches he had to replace. Not Denny Crum, not Ron Cooper, and not Steve Kragthorpe. All three of those guys got every penny they were owed under their contract, and in Crum’s case, very significantly more.

Yep. And had he given Bobby one more year it would have been devastating to our program.

Reactions: rh62531

Those coaches didn't have anything close to a $14 million buyout. Paying Crum or K-rag a couple million was not worth the effort to chisel away at.

I've said it before... Show me ANYTHING that Jurich did in two decades where he spent $14 million without other money directly offsetting it. Doesn't exist...

Lach and Andy are big "Vince" apologists. And they brought up Jurich, much as people here do who wanna argue with hypotheticals.

But nice try...
Whatever those two are, what they are not, are individuals creating threads on this board. You are the one doing that - you are the one creating threads and content specifically about someone who you say shouldn’t be discussed. As intellectually dishonest as you are - there’s no spinning out of that.

Reactions: UL_1986
Whatever those two are, what they are not, are individuals creating threads on this board. You are the one doing that - you are the one creating threads and content specifically about someone who you say shouldn’t be discussed. As intellectually dishonest as you are - there’s no spinning out of that.
I don't bring up Jurich because "Vince" stands on his own as far as I'm concerned. He sinks or swims based on his decisions as AD starting in the Fall of 2017.

If I have to RESPOND to someone making a false Jurich narrative, that's not on me. Stop talking about Jurich, and I will.

As for what makes us each unique, there's one person trolling me who wanted me to know who he is...

Last edited:
I don't bring up Jurich because "Vince" stands on his own as far as I'm concerned. He sinks or swims based on his decisions as AD starting in the Fall of 2017.

If I have to RESPOND to someone making a false Jurich narrative, that's not on me. Stop talking about Jurich, and I will.

As for what makes us each unique, there's one person trolling me who wanted me to know who he is...
LOL - You “have to respond” on this message board to radio personalities making a “false Jurich narrative”?

You sound insane.

LOL - You “have to respond” on this message board to radio personalities making a “false Jurich narrative”?

You sound insane.
Guy who introduces himself to the insane.

You want me to list the names of POSTERS arguing what Jurich would have done as AD? That's gonna be easy even for someone's whose sanity is in question...

Petrino's buyout was no bigger than Mack's or Satterfield's. And "rehab his image" is just an after-the-fact story concocted by old regime haters. I continue to ask where those questions were when Petrino inked his contract in 2016. All I get in response are crickets chirping.

Coaches' contracts are more or less set in the marketplace. If you don't make a competitive offer, you don't get/keep the coach.

And I don't need that "what would Jurich do" narrative. The FACT is that "Vince" sold the ranch to part ways with Petrino when he had other options. That's the only argument I care to make.

Maybe what you say is true. But that's on the people NOW in charge, not their predecessors. If they've guessed wrong, THEY will be responsible...

My question would be why was Petrino's buyout the same as Mack or Satterfield. Maybe I missed it but when were they fired for hiring their mistresses' to work on their staff and then crashing a motorcycle with her on it? Their buyouts should have been larger than Petrino's considering both were more coveted at the time. The new regime supporters are very crafty. They managed to flood the internet with pictures of neckbrace Petrino and make up false stories about him getting fired at Arkansas. When we hired him he hadn't just taken a job at mid level G5 school in WKU

You are right, coaches' salaries are set by the marketplace. What was the market for Petrino? You got a little heat from pockets of fans at programs that where in the toilet but there where no serious attempts to take away Petrino cause neck brace Petrino was still very fresh most people's minds. I didn't want Petrino rehired but I understood why Jurich did it because of a lot of our fans had fond memories of him putting up big numbers in his 1st stint. I never got why he got a contract extension when one wasn't needed. Why negotiate against yourself?

Its a fact that Tyra paid a bigger buyout than Jurich ever did but its also fact that Jurich didn't get stuck with a terrible contract with his predecessor. The only other option was to torch the program in a battle of wills with Petrino who had 14 million reasons to stick it out. The only reason you are arguing that there where others ways to get rid of Petrino is that it allows to not blame Jurich for the terrible contract he signed.

You are right that no matter what its Tyra's problem now but I think he made the right choice to drop Petrino. The program was at a crossroads and making us a bottom feeder for close to 5 years could easily affect the program for decade. I could not imagine what fans support would be like after a decade of hoping to get a bowl bid being the ceiling of the program.

Had Jurich still been in charge, we wouldn’t have had the same results on the field. Petrino checked out once Jurich “retired.”

Reactions: zipp
Those coaches didn't have anything close to a $14 million buyout. Paying Crum or K-rag a couple million was not worth the effort to chisel away at.

I've said it before... Show me ANYTHING that Jurich did in two decades where he spent $14 million without other money directly offsetting it. Doesn't exist...

Are you effing kidding me? He did EXACTLY what you claim he never did with Denny Crum! He wrote a $14 million plus check to Denny while we were an athletic department struggling from scandal while making next to nothing as a member of CUSA.

How’d that turn out, by the way? The answer is pretty damned well. I expect this will, as well, because we are now in the ACC, which is currently writing us a $27 million check each year, before the new ACC network debuts.

Your complaint that Tyra is writing a check that he doesn’t have funds to cover is every bit as wrong as your assertion that Jurich never wrote a $14 million check to any coach he had to fire.

Reactions: BPGhost
It’s all he has. I mean 41,000 + posts? GET A LIFE!
Which is why instead of taking the bet with me with the stakes being leaving the board permanently, he creates a "false narrative" with lawyers, contracts and escrow accounts.

Reactions: UL_1986
Guy who introduces himself to the insane.

You want me to list the names of POSTERS arguing what Jurich would have done as AD? That's gonna be easy even for someone's whose sanity is in question...
We are not talking about other posters - we are specifically talking about "zipp".

1. You have repeatedly admonished posters here on this board to stop invoking Jurich's name and actions, as you are only interested in discussing the new regime.

2. You repeatedly create content / threads specifically using Jurich's name and actions - not in response to anything that has been posted but, simply in a wholly unsolicited manner in your repeated attempts to discredit the new regime. Now up to and including - feeling some odd responsibility to rebut comments made by radio personalities on a completely different format and not part of this board.

You've made several references to me being a stalker because your TJ nightshirt gave you away and I said hello at a basketball game. Given your obvious obsession (one man public protests, homemade banners and t-shirts) with all things Tom Jurich, this is projection. If TJ had a bunny, he should probably be scared that you'll boil it at some point.

As a father, I cannot imagine doing something that would undermine the careers of my son and sons-in-law. So I guess I wouldn’t think he is that big of a POS.

He's not going to let his family starve. Remember that $14M? That's on top of nearly $50M in career earnings.

I think TJ would have fired BP and gave him his 14M. But TJ would have got a chunk of that money from donors, not from UofLs pockets. A lot of those donors bailed so VT didn't have that option.

My question would be why was Petrino's buyout the same as Mack or Satterfield. Maybe I missed it but when were they fired for hiring their mistresses' to work on their staff and then crashing a motorcycle with her on it? Their buyouts should have been larger than Petrino's considering both were more coveted at the time. The new regime supporters are very crafty. They managed to flood the internet with pictures of neckbrace Petrino and make up false stories about him getting fired at Arkansas. When we hired him he hadn't just taken a job at mid level G5 school in WKU

You are right, coaches' salaries are set by the marketplace. What was the market for Petrino? You got a little heat from pockets of fans at programs that where in the toilet but there where no serious attempts to take away Petrino cause neck brace Petrino was still very fresh most people's minds. I didn't want Petrino rehired but I understood why Jurich did it because of a lot of our fans had fond memories of him putting up big numbers in his 1st stint. I never got why he got a contract extension when one wasn't needed. Why negotiate against yourself?...
And again, where was all of that rationalization when Petrino extended his contract in 2016? To add a little context, that was after Lamar's freshman season and the MCB win...
...Its a fact that Tyra paid a bigger buyout than Jurich ever did but its also fact that Jurich didn't get stuck with a terrible contract with his predecessor...
Excuse me? The two coaches in the revenue sports when Jurich took over were Crum and Ron Cooper...
...The only other option was to torch the program in a battle of wills with Petrino who had 14 million reasons to stick it out. The only reason you are arguing that there where others ways to get rid of Petrino is that it allows to not blame Jurich for the terrible contract he signed.

You are right that no matter what its Tyra's problem now but I think he made the right choice to drop Petrino. The program was at a crossroads and making us a bottom feeder for close to 5 years could easily affect the program for decade. I could not imagine what fans support would be like after a decade of hoping to get a bowl bid being the ceiling of the program.
No, those weren't the only options for "Vince". That's the way you wanna describe his situation to make it look as obvious as possible for him. HE made an extreme decision, and the results are on him. Things better improve fast and significantly to justify the $14 million he just threw down a hole...

Had Jurich still been in charge, we wouldn’t have had the same results on the field. Petrino checked out once Jurich “retired.”
That's as good a hypothetical as any. And I wonder about it myself...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT