ADVERTISEMENT

v FSU (THU - SAT)

jpa2825

One-Star Poster
Feb 15, 2021
All comes down to this. Team ALMOST is in a "win or go home" situation.

As explained on the broadcast last night, sweep FSU and UofL is in the ACCT.
  • Sweep would put us at 12-18
    • Pitt and NC St. play each other, so no chance both could sweep to stay in front of our 12-18 record
  • Go 2-1 and would need NC St. or PITT to get swept
    • Pitt is 10-15 so only 10-18 (.357) allows us to be in front of them at 11-19 (.367)
    • NC St. is 10-16 so only 10-19 (.345) allows us to be in front of them at 11-19 (.367)
  • Lose 2 games and it's over
    • Our best would be 10-20 and Pitt and NC St. worst would still be better than that

Reactions: Bardman and SoulSr
Two years ago, it was a similar situation with the team. No miraculous run,they never caught fire. I'll say it for perhaps the last time this season- the veterans on this team have to be the spark to light the fire.
If they can't, this team belongs to the Freshmen next season.

Anyone know if Knap is available?
I'm guessing he didn't go Tuesday so he could be ready for this series. That's just a guess. He was the most vocal guy Tuesday night in that dugout. It won't be his heart keeping him out,I know that.

This is the worse 2 strike hitting team maybe ever at UofL. Just poor plate discipline. McCoy is our Cerrano. He can’t hit a curve ball to save his life. We are being outhit 10-5. 🤮

Reactions: rh62531
This is the worse 2 strike hitting team maybe ever at UofL. Just poor plate discipline. McCoy is our Cerrano. He can’t hit a curve ball to save his life. We are being outhit 10-5. 🤮
The backward K’s are demoralizing

Reactions: Bardman
Here we go. B7, 2 on, zero outs, Benson at the plate. Gotta capitalize here.

Reactions: PushupMan
Couple of observations;

FSU did everything possible to give the game away ….. their infield errors and pitchers losing control late are what set up the Jack Peyton heroics.

McCoy did everything possible to contribute to a loss. At a point in the contest where getting on base was so critical to our season, he swung at 2 balls that were so low and outside the strike zone that both TV analysts inferred that he “chocked”. Any plate discipline whatsoever would have resulted in a walk instead of the strikeout.

UL speed that led to beating out infield hits was most Impressive and timely.

I do not believe in “bad luck”, despite evidence of not getting some much needed breaks at critical times this season; as we have been exceedingly self-destructive in so many more instances via uncharacteristic fielding errors, pitchers walking opposing 8 & 9 lineup hitters at the worst possible time and so many of our own hitters swinging at pitches that were obviously out of the strike Zone.

This is a very talented roster, but as so many of the veteran contributors to this baseball site have expressed their low expectations for this team advancing, it’s the repeated failures that explains the disappointing performances.

Having said this, if I am WF, I have to hope that UL is not included in the ACC tournament.

McCoy did everything possible to contribute to a loss. At a point in the contest where getting on base was so critical to our season, he swung at 2 balls that were so low and outside the strike zone that both TV analysts inferred that he “chocked”. Any plate discipline whatsoever would have resulted in a walk instead of the strikeout.
Expect to see a change tonight.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2330859
Sure hope you are right Earsky; McCoy’s performance is what can destroy the momentum in the game, and the morale of the team.

Wish they could combine McCoy and Cook. McCoy is better defensively and Cook has much better plate discipline.

Couple of observations;

FSU did everything possible to give the game away ….. their infield errors and pitchers losing control late are what set up the Jack Peyton heroics.

UL speed that led to beating out infield hits was most Impressive and timely.

I do not believe in “bad luck”, despite evidence of not getting some much needed breaks at critical times this season; as we have been exceedingly self-destructive in so many more instances via uncharacteristic fielding errors, pitchers walking opposing 8 & 9 lineup hitters at the worst possible time and so many of our own hitters swinging at pitches that were obviously out of the strike Zone.

This is a very talented roster, but as so many of the veteran contributors to this baseball site have expressed their low expectations for this team advancing, it’s the repeated failures that explains the disappointing performances.

Having said this, if I am WF, I have to hope that UL is not included in the ACC tournament.
No way WF is fretting Louisville being in the tournament. That's simply wishful thinking. If I were WF, I would hope to face the Cards in the first round.

Reactions: the artist FKA zipp
Anderson at first works as well. I think his defense serves the team better at 3d (in the long run). For tonight, I’d go that way.

It continues to amaze me how a pitcher cannot throw strikes. Galvan might as well been some dude out of the stands. Why be a pitcher if you struggle to throw strikes?

And once again it's keystone cops defense by the Cards. It's like it's a game requirement to look clueless a couple times each game. Just like bringing in a pitcher who seemingly forgets how to throw strikes.

FSU is not a good hitting team, yet our relief pitchers are afraid to throw strikes.

He was hurt by his defense. He got the ground ball and they screwed it up.

Reactions: earsky
We are now losing in the 9th. CDM has decided he is riding Tate no matter what. And like that, we done. No offense tonight either. One good inning and that was it.

This is why the talk of what if the Cards make the ACC tournament was folly. A little luck is all we need. It would take a miracle.

This Louisville team is exactly what they look like.

At least NC St is helping us. Hard time to win when you don’t hit the baseball. It sure why CDM stick with Tate at the end. Thought that was a bad decision but that’s just my opinion.

Reactions: Deeva
At least NC St is helping us. Hard time to win when you don’t hit the baseball. It sure why CDM stick with Tate at the end. Thought that was a bad decision but that’s just my opinion.
Watched Dan's press comments on You Tube after the game. He basically said [paraphrasing] he stayed with Tate because he didn't trust the arms the bull pen. Again, paraphrasing, looking back on the year, these guys [team] never figured it out.

Happy when you're right too, huh?
Not happy in any way. I'm a Louisville fan and always will be. I'm also a realist, at least when it comes to sports, and this Cards baseball team proved once again who they are yesterday.

Leading 4 to 0 in the 7th inning against the worst ACC team we've played this year, yet they find a way to give up 7 unanswered runs with bad defense and terrible pitching. And our esteemed coach says he didn't trust the guys he has.

Although not as embarrassing as the 4 and 28 men's hoops team, the collapse of the baseball team after starting 18 and 2, is just as pathetic. That's why I saw no chance this team could do anything but lose if they managed to make the ACC tournament.

Doesn't mean I'm happy about it.

Watched Dan's press comments on You Tube after the game. He basically said [paraphrasing] he stayed with Tate because he didn't trust the arms the bull pen. Again, paraphrasing, looking back on the year, these guys [team] never figured it out.
Oh, I’m sure that is the reason. And…that is the problem. I’m not advocating he go and get 5 pitchers from the portal. But…a starter level guy and one guy for the pen - 100%. We stand to lose multiple pitchers anyway. The portal is calling.

This team just doesn’t have it this year. Maybe in a year or two we will be better.

Reactions: Bardman
I’m pretty much at the point of having this season mercifully end.

And IIRC, we’d have to win both of the games in a pod incl. Wake Forest next weekend. …While the last place team in the conference is giving us all we can handle…

Now I don't have any inside info, just a gut feeling. I think McDonnell may leave for Alabama or somewhere else. It may just be time for a move with the way things have been going on lately around here.

McDonnell I would think never anticipated coaching at one place his entire career, but with the massive success he's had here, he never really considered moving on. But human nature as it is, when things are not so good, a new job often is the perceived remedy.

I would prefer he stay and get the program back on track, but I have to admit I have no idea if a replacement would be at his level of success. Would a new coach have a totally different philosophy? Is there a big name willing to come here? I just don't know college baseball enough.

I do believe that McDonnell wouldn't want to leave the program hanging so who would replace him would be important to him.

Like I said, it's just a feeling I have and with so much bad shit going on at UofL, maybe it's just cynical thinking on my part? I think we will know soon if there's any possibility.

I don’t think CDM is going anywhere unless he thinks his support here is declining. Attendance at games this year has been off even though ticket sales are still strong. I can gauge that simply by how easy it is to park around the stadium.

And we’re several years into a fund raising campaign for a training facility that would have been built five times by now under prior management. These coaches know our financial situation.

I don’t believe in coincidences, I’ve said that many times. Now the baseball program is struggling…

Last edited:
Biven doesn’t have it. Why is he still in? McCoy has been a big fat zero at the plate yet why no Cook? King, nothing at the plate, why is he still in?
Pinch-hitting Noah Smith made Zero sense. Why? These are the types of decisions people are complaining about.

Reactions: earsky and Deeva
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT