ADVERTISEMENT

Virginia series

earsky

Four-Star Poster
Jan 12, 2010
Doesn't get any easier friends.
#11 Virginia rolls into town on the heels of last weekend's sweep vs NC St.

I thought the Cards and Wolfpack were fairly even and I'm guessing this series will be tight as well. We have no choice but to continue to take these series if there's a shot at getting into post season play. I think currently we're in the 90s somewhere RPI. Critical to say the least.

We started 0-4. Losses to Indiana State, UConn, Xavier and St. Bonaventure. This squad hasn't been right since Day 1.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
Need to keep in mind the number is of 1-run losses. Those are tough losses.

Need to keep in mind the number is of 1-run losses. Those are tough losses.
Tough losses for sure but close losses are still losses. A one run loss doesn't help our resume...

As earsky said, we have no choice but to win and the clock is ticking.. As a general rule we always get better as the weather warms up. Let's hope that's the case this year..

WtF? EKjr starting in LF??? Whyyyyyyy? He better hit the hell out of the ball tonight.

We just can’t keep up with this conference. They go get big strong power 5 transfers and we don’t.

I think he stays in if we can't get a run or two here but if we can score soon,gotta get him out.
Kilen is lost up there. Swings at anything except strikes.
Reverse jinx- I'm so happy I stayed home tonight. If I had a foam brick I'd throw it at the TV.

Stayed home as well. TERRIBLE plate discipline- good lord. Gongora is so done. They’ll just leave him in there and get hammered.

I suspect the run rule will come into play this game. Cavs are notably better at baseball right now.

Dan got lazy and caught living in his laurels while these other coaches got buzy. He’s dug himself a big hole for sure.

Bobby Miller and Reid Detmers are becoming MLB stars and Brandon McKay is finally pitching again after three surgeries.

Coach McDonnell simply doesn't have the arms anymore.

Well,we've reached what could possibly be construed as elimination status with the next two. Not saying they can't go on some tear at some point after this weekend but does anyone see that if they drop this series?
Btw,yes they suck. I'd sit about half the guys that have been getting in games and get some ballers in there. No time better than now.

This year was blown before it even started. This is Dan being very stubborn while the landscape shifted. There are a lot of veteran hitters on rosters they take advantages of mistakes.

Hitting isn’t much better.

If so,what's next? Non revenue sports won't move the needle on needed change. It'll have to come from within. Tbs,the way Mac rewards loyalty and guys that have been in the 'system' probably means nothing.

Hopefully a great class and some of these 24 year olds moving on. We need to get back to the way it was pre Covid. Play 3 seasons,get drafted and move on. Too much clutter. I'm just an alumni though,so what the hell do I know?

This level of disappointment requires a more formal explanation from Coach Dan. Most seem to believe it can be traced to Dan’s reluctance to embrace the Transfer Portal, and that may very well be the case. After this latest humiliating performance (fairness to UVA; they are very good offensively), Dan needs to make a formal statement to the UL fans as to why the program has declined and what his solution is to correct the fall.

The transfer portal only works if you've got spots on the roster. We did but only a few. If you're not gonna play the Freshman class,yeah just redshirt them from the beginning and bring in more portal guys.

I hate to say it but if you want to right the ship, flipping the damn roster is necessary. I understand why Dan wants to build the team with veteran guys who have been with the program 3-4-5 years. Hell, I think the vast majority of fans want that. Unfortunately, as many have pointed out, you just can not do that and be successful in 2024.

Last edited:
All I can say is, very disappointing !! We're getting very close to our season meaning nothing and looking to next year...

It's mind boggling to me how far the program has fallen since the covid year..

Changes Changes
Looks like a different bunch today.

PK IN THE HOUSE!!

All I can say is, very disappointing !! We're getting very close to our season meaning nothing and looking to next year...

It's mind boggling to me how far the program has fallen since the covid year..
Much of UofL sports has regressed since that covid year. Both Coach Mac's were poised to make a series run at a national title. Neither program has had the caliber of stars since.

Louisville was one of the schools worst affected by Covid, especially in basketball. However, it was the self inflicted chaos with Coach Mack that aided the decline after covid. And we all know the disaster hire that came from it.

The baseball team is not as clear and I believe Covid mostly just hurt that 2020 team. That team was loaded with current MLB players. I remember being as upset their season was canceled as I was with March Madness being suspended.

I think Coach McDonnell unfortunately is a victim of the NIL and the portal. He simply doesn't have a solution so far. It hasn't helped though that some highly rated recruits declared for the draft. Imagine Jo Adell here for three seasons.

However he does it, he has to get top line arms back in the program. Starting pitching was what really propelled the Cards to all that success.

So hopefully we can start getting better talent and maybe both will join the football program and make UofL sports elite again.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT