ADVERTISEMENT

@ UVa

jpa2825

One-Star Poster
Feb 15, 2021
FRI @ 6:00
SAT @ 4:00
SUN @ 1:00

I assume we see Hawks, Liggett and Bullpen Day.

Need to throw everything we have at it. Fighting for our lives. Play like it.

Reactions: earsky
I see that it is going to Hawks. Also, ESPN is showing the game starting at 7:00 v 6:00??? Anyone know if there is a delay or something?

That’s weird. Just…all of sudden…the broadcast started. Strange.

Insert heavy sigh 😤
I mean, really? Walk two straight guys and then give up a HR. Hate to say it, and I hope I am wrong, but this game may already be over.

Well, I an going to watch the top of the 4th and then go spend time with my wife. Hawks is getting his ass handed to him. This game is done. I’ll check in tomorrow. Announcers talking about teams and players embracing the ‘clutch’. Stepping up when needed, making plays when needed, getting that bit when needed. This team, unfortunately, doesn’t have it.

Reactions: Deeva
Checked on the game via Live Stats (glutten for punishment I guess). 10-0 now. Grundy got the crap kicked out of him too. Maybe a ‘Which pitchers need to hit the portal thread’ is needed. I just think some of these guys probably need to be at a lower level of competition.

15-5 final. Let’s see how they respond tomorrow. Win and at least they have a fighting chance. Lose and I think the bubble has burst.

15-5 final. Let’s see how they respond tomorrow. Win and at least they have a fighting chance. Lose and I think the bubble has burst.
The bubble has already burst. Best case scenario is they try to collect the contents of the bubble, delicately put back in bubble, seal bubble, then hope everything is ok.

He is going to have to reevaluate over the summer. I think a staff shake up is needed.

Pitching hasn’t been good since Covid. I am not real sure why that has taken a step back. Williams is a proven coach but something is up. It isn’t just a little step back either it is noticeable. I think talent is an issue more than anything here.

Hitting I have never liked Synder. They used to play to contact and manufacture runs. Now it resembles MLB long ball or strike outs. This team is built for small ball yet they do the opposite. Coming out of Covid that team should have destroyed teams offensively. The number of strike outs looking is ridiculous. The lack of aggression on hitters counts 2-0, 3-0, and 2-1. Then on the flip side they are super aggressive early in at bats getting behind immediately. All this tells me hitters are completely confused in their approach. When I see a hitter take a fast ball right down the pipe he was guessing. Beard is guessing all the time.

Young team and not sold on overall talent but staff shake up probably needs to happen.

Reactions: earsky
Beard is guessing all the time.
I happened to be at a game earlier this season and we were asking Beard's Dad how old his son was. Not sure how it came up but he said Logan really started struggling last Summer at the plate. His confidence is obviously shaken and his return to All ACC status form seems like a pipe dream at this point.

Never been a fan of Snyder especially at third base. Apparently he does a good job recruiting. Maybe it’s time to bring Belanger home.

If the gauge is our own history, the hitting is acceptable. We've never had really good hitting teams under CDM.

Where we're really down--and have been down--is pitching. I'm not sure how much of our recent defensive problems aren't simply being compounded by our overall performance.

Not sure of the solution, the first step is identifying the right problem...

You can’t win without pitching that is for sure. That has been the main reason for their success since his arrival. Their pitching hasn’t been good the last 3 years. I wouldn’t be surprised if there was a change.

I won’t be changing my position of Synder. I know hitting, moving the ball is incredibly important and they haven’t been good at that in 2 of last 3 years. I bet they are really low in 2 out hits, hits with runners in scoring position less than 2 outs and high in strike outs. Too many games come down to 1 run to constantly miss opportunities.

Reactions: Bardman
But I think we all knew coming in that the offense with 3-4 guys returning that were on one of the All ACC teams would have to carry the team by scoring at 7-8 runs per game.
They have not...

Never been a fan of Snyder especially at third base. Apparently he does a good job recruiting. Maybe it’s time to bring Belanger home.
Belanger is a pitching guy. Was at UK, Florida St and now Clemson.

If Miss St has another bad year, we might be able to get Lemonis back. I thought he was good at 3rd.

Reactions: rh62531
Belanger is a pitching guy. Was at UK, Florida St and now Clemson.

If Miss St has another bad year, we might be able to get Lemonis back. I thought he was good at 3rd.
Oh, I’m aware. Seems like pitching has been the weakest link the last three years.

Now it’s errors. Jack’s defense is very sketchy. Then Tate throws the ball away. Geez.

Sunday game. Similar start. At least there was one hit. Then, a SO by McCoy. He Really needs to shorten his swing. I know he has power; but, batting 4th he has to get more hits. He just strikes out wayyyy too much

Reactions: rh62531
I think it is pretty obvious; these kids quit on themselves, their teammates and their coach. I feel sorry for Sean Moth, as he recognized it before anyone, but he refuses to say it on the telecast out of respect for his responsibility to UL.

It started long before the Vanderbilt game, but that extra inning loss took a huge emotional toll that helps explain the empty energy that is in full display now.

Can’t help but think Mac is Alabama bound. The recent performances almost feel like a tank. The players aren’t responding to his coaching, and maybe he’s mailing it in. It all kind of adds up.

Oh, I’m aware. Seems like pitching has been the weakest link the last three years.
Here's what hard to understand. Stats says our hitting is last or next to last in ACC. Also says our overall pitching is 3rd or 4th but watching all these games say otherwise? Is it batters trying to do too much because they know they need to score a ton of runs because of our bullpen? There have been games where we have scored a lot of runs only to see the relief pitchers blow it. Is it on the HC, Snyder, Williams, the players or just bad chemistry?

@ncaacardfan Great question and…who knows. This team still has a winning record and they could be a lot worse. They also seemed to have a lot of potential which just never coalesced. Pitching, to me, is the weakest link. Too many times we witnessed the bullpen giving up leads. How about a stat on how many times our pitchers had two strikes on a batter and then the guy got a hit? Is that a pitcher’s lack of execution or poor pitch selection from Williams ? Coaching Well, sure, decisions made directly determine results- right? One decision made may result in a positive vs another having a bad result. I think CDM struggled with this group. Tweeked and tweeked and just couldn’t push the right buttons. Leaving pitchers in too long is my only real complaint and that has been discussed a lot within this forum. Hitting. Sporadic and not timely. Lots of backward Ks and too many runners left on base.

Really good hitters sit fastball and adjust. They are able to sit fastball but also adjust-pick up off speed stuff. That is how they maintain a really good average. They may go through mini slumps but not big ones. Average hitters either can’t adjust or start guessing which may work for stretches but then slump starts and they never guess right. To get out of it they or I used to go back to the basics which it taught early sit fastball. You have no chance hitting 90-95 mph if you are looking off speed.

McCoy is a really good example of an average hitter. He is a dead fast ball hitter doesn’t get fool very much looking for off speed but hit doesn’t adjust to off speed stuff. He doesn’t track off speed stuff very well. He isn’t even close unless it is just a hanging watermelon.

There is a lot more going on since it is the hardest thing to do in sports, but this is the core issue with this group. Peyton is the only legit hitter in this lineup. He has got caught trying to be hero in key spots which is going to happen when you don’t trust the guys behind you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT