ADVERTISEMENT

UofL v UK

Bardman

Four-Star Poster
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Must say I was uncomfortable about this game. What I have observed is very encouraging. Still want to see better blocking out and tenacious rebounding; but, overall rebounding has been very solid. So far a very well-played game by our Cards.

Our inside game has been great today. I knew we were better then we had been playing. Great job, Jeff !

Must say I was uncomfortable about this game. What I have observed is very encouraging. Still want to see better blocking out and tenacious rebounding; but, overall rebounding has been very solid. So far a very well-played game by our Cards.
Much different team then the last game. Dixon and Cochran are playing better. Making their layups.
But I must say I’m not a fan of Carr’s game. She doesn’t pass often and her shooting percentage is low. Rather have Casa in the game.

Well, they are getting beat in the second half of this 3d qtr. CJW not subbing. Rebounding disappearing. HVL missing most everything she is putting up - but, she is still on the floor. I don’t mind her being out there; but, right now shooting long jumpers is not what she should be doing.

These second halves of the 3rd quarters are a disturbing pattern that appears to be a result of losing focus. With that said, beating your in-state rival on their home court by double digits in a contest where UK never led or seriously challenged the outcome …….. most pleasing.

Strange to see Olivia at the 3, playing on the perimeter is not a solid strategy given her limitations. Hailey was forcing her shots, she just needs to let the game come to her like she did in that first quarter.

Reactions: Bardman
I’m a big fan of HVL, but she should only be playing about 32 minutes a game with the roster we have. She plays way too much and there is absolutely no need for her to.

We were 1-15, and they were 6-15 from 3, but it was a nice trade-off as our defense gave them some open looks from the perimeter, but it pushed them into 27 turnovers. Walz owns UK.
I wish the Cards had caused the Cats to commit 27 turnovers but alas they had less turnovers than the Cards. The Cats did have to foul a lot (27 personals)). I suspect Hailey has bruises to demonstrate that. Hailey may be following the same script as last year in shooting a dismal percentage of three point shots early in the season. At least I hope that is true. The difference this year is that Hailey is going for the basket and getting fouled. She is a dead eye from the foul line. She must be a strong lass as Jeff plays her far more than any one else on the team.

Appreciate your correcting me over the TOs with the PFs Armensmith! I wish we could turn then over 27 times.

Coach is the man, but I don't understand playing HVL 40 minutes. Her shot is off and she is struggling against pressure (6 turnovers), which i attribute to too many minutes and playing tired.
Please understand, I am not bashing HVL because she was still a killer yesterday and poor Cats couldn't stop her without fouling.

CJW is doing the same thing with HVL that he did with Dana Evans, Schoni, Angel, Asia and others. The team leader hardly comes out on his teams, this is nothing new.

CJW is doing the same thing with HVL that he did with Dana Evans, Schoni, Angel, Asia and others. The team leader hardly comes out on his teams, this is nothing new.
Coach Walz did play his leaders more, but it was along the line of 31 to 32 minutes a game. He is playing HVL a bit more at almost 37 minutes so far. Actually Carr is playing over 29 minutes and Robinson at over 27 minutes a game. I attribute the high minutes for HVL to trying to get this team to jell around her. In the last game, however, the Cats were fouling a lot. Who is better to shoot foul shots than HVL? Morgan Jones needs to continue to improve her team play and consequently get more minutes. We need more assists out of Carr, improved shooting by HVL, and continued good play by Dixon. All very "doable". This could be a fun season.

Last edited:
Reactions: ulcards1
I would like to see more minutes for Morgan Jones. She is an athlete. I'm OK with HVL's minutes against tough teams - give her all she can handle - cut her minutes against weaker teams.

I think it's just because the schedule has been so tough, Haley needs to be on the court. Even when her shooting is off, she's a vocal leader on the court.

Walz probably wants to lower her minutes but he wants to win games. He's already lost four.

HVL is a supreme leader and when she's on the court, Walz has a coach on the floor, so it's tough for him to take her out.

HVL can definitely come out during games. She has not shown that she can consistently take over a game like a Dana, Asia or Shonni. But she has the green light too. With as much talent we have in this team that’s a weird philosophy. It’s not typical to give a 5’6 non ball handler that much freedom.

That philosophy gets us beat against the Final Four caliber teams, and it will again this year.

And I like HVL, I think she would be a much better player as a play maker instead of a scoring guard. I think had Dana been used as a playmaker we could have had a better chance against Arizona two years ago. Just my opinion

I guess you don’t remember Dana going through her scoring slump at the end of her Senior season. She also had scoring slumps in her freshmen and sophomore seasons. Even though during her senior season she stayed on the court. The reason HVL looks so tired at the end of her ballgames is because she is always in motion.
She is always looking for the shot for herself and her teammates. She is always playing defense and rebounding and handing out assists. She gives verbal instructions during the games she is the leader on the team.

Reactions: TheRealVille
Complete opposite. Since the team has gotten off to a slower than normal start, he needs HVL to be a leader. She does so much more than just score, she's even one of the top rebounders. I agree that she gets tired but thats because she plays all out. She gets all the other players involved and makes their game better. She's clearly the best player on the team and Jeff wants her on the court as much as possible. You don't want to get beat with your best player on the bench. Jeff is still finding out the best combination to be out on the court. IMHO, Dixon needs to be more consistent.

I am with you BK; HVL is a “gamer”, by that I mean she is as competitive on the court as I have seen at UL. I think she wants those minutes.

Jeff has a sense about how this will eventually turn out for the team as the season progresses. I would have never tought Olivia could play the 3, or spent so much time on the perimeter in the half court offense as we witnessed against UK, but I am confident that it was quite intentional, as Jeff must be seeing something that I sure cannot imagine.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
I guess you don’t remember Dana going through her scoring slump at the end of her Senior season. She also had scoring slumps in her freshmen and sophomore seasons. Even though during her senior season she stayed on the court. The reason HVL looks so tired at the end of her ballgames is because she is always in motion.
She is always looking for the shot for herself and her teammates. She is always playing defense and rebounding and handing out assists. She gives verbal instructions during the games she is the leader on the team.
Exactly! HVL plays all those minutes because she does a bit of everything and does all of it with maximum effort and leadership. She was never going to be the scorer like Dana and Shoni, but she gives everything while on the court and right now that's what Walz needs.

I agree with the comments about HVL. But I learned after JW's 2nd Final Four team not to question his decision-making. I'm pretty sure that players don't get PT on his teams unless they deserve it. No one wants to win more than that guy...

I expect by the time tournament rolls around, CJW will have a team that will be competing on equal level with ND, UNC and NCST.

Williams is an example of an incoming transfer who is lost on both ends of the floor, but has the skill set to contribute once she gets comfortable with her teammates and her on-court responsibilities.

I disagree with you all, HVL not coming out and getting periodic breathers will be toxic for this team. Whoever said she is a play maker is far from the truth. But this is the Coach Walz way, he likes too have one player with the green light, it works until that player has an off game and then our supporting cast doesn’t know what to do……. It happened with Dana and Arizona, and it happened with Asia….

And I’m a fan of HVL, but her passing in the post is much to be desired. Too many times a player is posting and she either fails to deliver the entry pass or calls them out to set a pick so she can shoot. I have no issues with Coach playing her 49 minutes if she was a playmaker, but that’s not her game.

Let's just say that IMHO your post was pure opinion, not very accurate or well thought out, and others just as knowledgeable will disagree with you including moi. I will say no more on this subject. Go Cards!

I disagree with you all, HVL not coming out and getting periodic breathers will be toxic for this team. Whoever said she is a play maker is far from the truth. But this is the Coach Walz way, he likes too have one player with the green light, it works until that player has an off game and then our supporting cast doesn’t know what to do……. It happened with Dana and Arizona, and it happened with Asia….

And I’m a fan of HVL, but her passing in the post is much to be desired. Too many times a player is posting and she either fails to deliver the entry pass or calls them out to set a pick so she can shoot. I have no issues with Coach playing her 49 minutes if she was a playmaker, but that’s not her game.
So just tell us. Who would you want to take up her minutes and tell me why they would be more effective than HVL?

I will stick with my earlier prediction, that by the time tournament time rolls around, this UL team will be playing at a much higher level, as I expect to be competing at the same high level as ND, VT, NCST and UNC.

I believe Jeff knows the rest of his roster require minutes on the floor with HVL, in order to gain comfort, familiarity and confidence with HVL on the floor. Jeff is doing what all of the top programs do; they keep their “go to players” on the floor when trying to blend underclassmen and transfers into a team.

By the way, UConn’s play maker guard Muhl, and Stanford’s “go to guard” Jump each played all 40 minutes in their respective games on Sunday, and ND’s Star Olivia Miles played 36 minutes last Sunday. Jeff is doing exactly what all of the top WBB teams do when preparing their teams for the balance of the season. Jones, Carr, and Williams in particular need to gain their experience with HVL on the floor.

Reactions: fredburgcard
Notre Dame and Olivia Miles is a bad example. Miles is the ultimate playmaker. If HVL was a playmaker I would keep her on the floor also. She is not. She averages more turnovers than assist and shoots 25% from three point range. And the way she’s playing will NOT help her get to the WNBA. There are no 5’6 scoring guards in the WNBA.

I like HVL, I just don’t like the way she’s being used. This team gets better with Jones playing more minutes. Coach knows what he’s doing in that regard, he needs her to be more consistent and wants her to play a certain way, while HVL has the green light to fire at will.

I just don’t think that’s the recipe to get us that natty…. Hopefully I’m wrong

It does sound like you have something against HVL, I have watched HVL make some pin point passes, out rebound bigger opponents and she can create her own shot. I have seen Morgan Jones disappear for whole quarters in games. Both players are good and they make our team better. What we need are more players on the team to step up and make the team better.
I watch as many ACC games as possible and the ratings are going to change quite a bit. Va Tech is a good but without Kitley they are in trouble. Kitley is good but she is not a physical player and she struggles when she goes up against a physical team. Notre Dame is good and they play with grit but what I have noticed about ND is everything goes to the right of the basket.

I wonder what will happen when a team comes out and forces them to their left. Virginia is good but they also have their weaknesses like UNCST and us. This year more than past years game preparation will decide a lot of games in the ACC. It’s early and right now the rankings are being based on won loss records a lot is going to change.

Reactions: luv2hit63
The point about Miles vs HVL is not about the position they play; it’s about their leadership while on the floor. Both ND and UL will only go as far as those two Ladies take their respect teams ….. which explains why both coaches have them playing so many minutes.

I used Miles, Muhl and Jump as convenient examples, only because they were each playing on Sunday for top rated teams and it was easy to pull their statistics off the ESPN website. I am just too lazy to go through all the contenders, but I am confident that if you or others have the time and inclination, you will discover that most of the NCAA contenders are following CJW model by playing HVL-type leaders as many minutes as possible.

As far as NC; this UL team has a lot of potential and I expect another challenge for ACC Championship, but I have no expectations for a National Championship this season as long as South Carolina, Stanford and Ohio State are around.

Contrary to my argument, I’m a huge HVL fan. I simply don’t like they way she’s being used and the fact she makes many mistakes that others sit for. That’s my only gripe with Coach Walz. And yes, I know, he knows more about coaching in three fingers than my arm chair criticism could muster. But I didn’t like the way we used Dana, she would probably be starting had she learned to be a playmaker in college instead of a score first PG.

HVL is being groomed the same and she is not remotely close to having Dana’s athleticism. If she wants a shot at the WNBA, she has to be a playmaker. There are no 5’6 shooting guards in that league. Her passing is not consistent enough, her entry passes to the post need work and she’s currently making too many turnovers. She’s allowed to play through those mistakes, others aren’t, he has to hold her to the same principle he’s benching others for.

We have too much talent to live and die by one player. Especially when you have multiple players that can score and produce on this team. If she continues to play 39 minutes she should be averaging atleast 5 assist/game instead of 3.3 with 3.5 Turnovers.

That’s my take, I know Coach will pull the team together, he always does, but we will continue to struggle against the top 5 continuing the same concept.

You have to realize that HVL just like all the other floor leaders for all teams is the main focus of our opponents. Miles of ND is the focus for all of their opponents just like Kitley of Va Tech. The opponents know if you disrupt the team leader you disrupt the team so the game plan is centered on those players.
So let’s say for example to take HVL out of the equation and she is no longer on our team. What current player do you replace her with to run the team?

HVL is not a floor leader, she is a team leader, she doesn’t control the ball, that responsibility is Chrislynn Carr who has done a very good job of doing so. But HVL’s overall spunk and leadership would be felt immediately. She brings a lot to the table from a mental aspect of the game.

Nobody is kicking HVL off the team, would like to see her used in a more efficient way. As THE team leader, her assist to turnover ratio has to improve heading into league play. She’s drawing the attention, needs to show more love feeding her bigs…..

HVL is not a floor leader, she is a team leader, she doesn’t control the ball, that responsibility is Chrislynn Carr who has done a very good job of doing so. But HVL’s overall spunk and leadership would be felt immediately. She brings a lot to the table from a mental aspect of the game.

Nobody is kicking HVL off the team, would like to see her used in a more efficient way. As THE team leader, her assist to turnover ratio has to improve heading into league play. She’s drawing the attention, needs to show more love feeding her bigs…..
You just contradicted yourself. First you say she's not the PG but yet you want her assist to turnover ratio to be better. She makes things happen because she has the ball in her hands more. You trust her decision making unlike a certain PG named Ellis.... Difference between the two is one is a winner and the other is well... Ellis.

Well if you had kept up with the conversation I was answering a question. I’ve stated I don’t like the way she’s being used as a 2 guard shooter.

She should be the playmaker and coached up as such, she’s not making a WNBA team as a shooting guard. She’s following the same foot steps as Dana, who should be starting but she doesn’t have playmaker skills, she was also a scoring Guard in college instead of being coached as a playmaker. Atleast Dana played PG in college.

HVL is not benched for her mistakes, poor entry pass to the post or TO’s. So yes, if she’s playing 38 to 39 min a game she needs to improve her assist to TO ratio as well as shoot the ball better. 25% from 3 pt range for a shooting guard and team leader is NOT living up to her pre season 2nd team All American billing.

And who in the hell mentioned Ellis?

This is starting to look like Carr's team. And HVL is one of the pieces in the puzzle. Maybe JW sees that as the best way to make this team a title contender...

Reactions: FlavRunit
I thought Carr’s performance last night supports my sense that our early season struggles are consistent with what happens when first year transfers arrive into a different system. I go back to the manner in which Carr broke the OSU press early in the game by herself, but CJW wanted it to be done by committee. While that resulted in 3rd quarter TOs, it will serve this team well over the course of the year when other opponents mix up their defenses with zone trapping presses that demand quicker recognition and more passing.

Well if you had kept up with the conversation I was answering a question. I’ve stated I don’t like the way she’s being used as a 2 guard shooter.

She should be the playmaker and coached up as such, she’s not making a WNBA team as a shooting guard. She’s following the same foot steps as Dana, who should be starting but she doesn’t have playmaker skills, she was also a scoring Guard in college instead of being coached as a playmaker. Atleast Dana played PG in college.

HVL is not benched for her mistakes, poor entry pass to the post or TO’s. So yes, if she’s playing 38 to 39 min a game she needs to improve her assist to TO ratio as well as shoot the ball better. 25% from 3 pt range for a shooting guard and team leader is NOT living up to her pre season 2nd team All American billing.

And who in the hell mentioned Ellis?
Just can't take anyone serious who advocates for less HVL. Both Carr and HVL are the playmakers.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT