ADVERTISEMENT

UofL v UK

If you go back and watch the Duke game, and then listen to CJW‘s post game observations, we lost the game in the first quarter. We could never make up that early 7 point deficit.

I give credit to Duke, but there is no evidence that making changes in the UL rotation would improve our performance or change the outcome.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
You can pick and choose what stats to use but the fact remains, she leads the team in turnovers so I’m not sure how you factor in that turnovers would increase, and she shoots 22% from 3pt range…. Those numbers may improve with fresh legs, who knows. Now, come 4th quarter that’s been her time, I wouldn’t rest her a minute at that point considering the way she ends games and had been deadly from the mid range. Her 3pt % may increase if she had some fresh legs towards the end of games. I don’t know, you seem determined to prove your point.
Look who's talking? Why do you insist on looking at one stat, turnovers? As I just pointed out she doesn't have the most turnovers in conference play. And by the way, you sir have failed to prove your point, that somehow we would be a better team with HVL playing less minutes... cause that's what you're implying.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
The point is that we aren’t receiving votes and she’s playing 36 minutes a game. What other point is there to make?

If this team is to improve, it will not be continuing under current circumstances. Unless we find more production in the paint, we will not get better. We have to find away to incorporate M.Jones to settle down and utilize her positive traits to be a factor against conference opponents. Coach will also have to make some tough decisions in his post players. Between Dixon, Williams and Harris, he’s going to have to go with two and ride with those two. Cochran is going to play, and he definitely needs to find ways to get her more offensive production.

The point is that we aren’t receiving votes and she’s playing 36 minutes a game. What other point is there to make?

If this team is to improve, it will not be continuing under current circumstances. Unless we find more production in the paint, we will not get better. We have to find away to incorporate M.Jones to settle down and utilize her positive traits to be a factor against conference opponents. Coach will also have to make some tough decisions in his post players. Between Dixon, Williams and Harris, he’s going to have to go with two and ride with those two. Cochran is going to play, and he definitely needs to find ways to get her more offensive production.
I'm not worried about receiving votes and neither is Walz. But the point is on them getting more production from other players but limiting HVL is not the answer. Why don't we start counting missed baskets at the rim turnovers? There would be a lot more players with TO's than HVL. They will start to play better or not when each individual player understands their role and how to do that effectively in Walz's offense. Defense also plays into this as we should be able to create easy baskets and not have HVL go one on one. I do see with Mykasa back she will get more minutes but she needs to provide offense. But they won't be HVL minutes unless like you say, Dixon, Williams, or Harris become more consistent. Cochran is going to need her rest. Jones may be the intangible player that could make the difference. She needs to stay out of foul trouble and play under control.

Reactions: FlavRunit
In a nutshell, yes this team is going to have some issues down the line if the play from the other players besides HVL continues. Teams and most of them have already tried to do it will focus on her and try to shut her down.

Last night:
Cochran - only 3 shots
Carr - 1-6
Mykasa - 1-4

Jones, Dixon and Carr - 0 trips to the foul line.

Last night was a good example. HVL is not a ball hog. I would like to know how many times late in the shot clock where players got the ball in a position to shoot only to give it back to HVL for her to make something happen? I love Mykasa for her defense and hustle but she missed 2 wide open shots from 8 ft and then she stopped shooting.

It is clear that most players on this team have more confidence in HVL than they do themselves and that will become a problem. It already was at the beginning of the season but now they're finding ways to win. Hope it continues. I still have a lot of trust in CJW to figure it out.

The last few games our opponent focused so much on trying to shut HVL down that there were times when 3 players were chasing her. It was kind of comical watching it. I listened to the post game interview with HVL and Mykasa last night and they were both pretty blunt. HVL was asked if the team over looked Ga Tech and Hailey responded by saying “ We are 11-5 we can’t afford to overlook any opponent”.

Both players said as a team they are not playing with grit the whole game because not all players have bought in yet. They said that was improving and they expect to be a better team by tournament time. HVL and Mykasa are the 2 players on the team that play with the most grit. HVL said she chose Louisville because of the style of play Louisville plays ( with grit ) and the level of competition in the ACC.

They also said they are trying to get the bigs more involved in the offense. I myself don’t know that would be so hard but it seems to be. She also said that we are good enough to beat good teams they just have to eliminate unforced turnovers and scoring droughts.

HVL had an efficient first half last nite, but she was less effective in the second. That efficiency is what we need. I'm also not sure what defines a ball hog, but last time I checked, she takes almost a third of the shots of the entire team.

But I'll reiterate, we only go as far as she takes this team. That doesn't mean she gets to do what she wants to, but it does mean she gets a lotta PT...

Reactions: Bardman
Someone other than HVL needs to step up on the offensive end, until that happens, I cannot imagine how far behind this team will fall without HVL taking such an active role in the half court. Carr and Jones have the

This team’s 3 point shooting is horrendous, which is in-part, a direct result of the kids inability to move without the ball, and getting good open looks. refusing to creat their own shots. Our opponents stick to their man-to-man defense because aside from HVL, no one else has been very successful beating their defender off the dribble. The effort to minimize turnovers might explain the reluctance to be more aggressive in their half court offense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT