ADVERTISEMENT

UNC COMING ON...

Feb 4, 2003
HEY YOU GUYS LOST A TUFF ONE....HARD TO WIN DOWN @ DEATH VALLEY BUT I THOUGHT IF ANYONE COULD DO IT, YOUR GUYS WOULD. GREAT GAME TO WATCH. LAMAR IS THE REAL DEAL...YOU HAVE A GOOD ONE THERE THAT IS REALLY GOING TO KEEP LOUISVILLE @ THE TOP OF THE HEAP FOR SOME TIME. BY THE WAY EVEN IN ALL THE 2016 LOUISVILLE EXCITEMENT...HAS ANYONE NOTICED THAT UNC has won ten straight ACC regular season games. The Heels even played the Clemson Tigers a pretty good game in last years ACC Championship game and The Tar Heels won their big game last Saturday down in Tallahassee beating FSU 37 - 35 Now all of a sudden we are hearing whispers of QB Mitch Trubisky [who was 33 of 38 against FSU] being a early Heisman candidate. He can throw as well as Lamar but I don't know anyone who is as dangerous as Lamar running the ball. ESPN was following Nick Weiler the UNC placekicker all around campus after his being made famous for that 54 yard field goal to give UNC Football and Larry Fedora a huge win against FSU with both names being talked about on every sports radio or TV talk show out there and the best news coverage that I've seen for UNC football in years. We are back in the teens in both polls, controlling our own destiny with another big game coming up this Saturday in Kenan Stadium against VT. Man, this feels great. It is a Great Day To Be A Tar Heel. What a great win. Now just hoping we can keep it up.

Reactions: PushupMan
I expect UNC to win the division this year, but the future is cloudy with looming NCAA stuff.

I also think that Richt is going to make Miami , well, Miami again. So even if you continue the upward trend, there's a sleeping giant out there and I think it's waking up. It'll be a tough road, but that's what makes it fun.

Our side is stacked with us, FSU and Clemson. Hopefully your side will stacked 3 deep with UNC continuing to improve, and Miami and VT returning to what they were.

That would make for a helluva conference.

Reactions: NCBlueWonderz
Hey Kratz...there will be no more sanctions placed on UNC athletics...it is all in the academic arena now. I am glad that it is finally over.

Reactions: zipp
Hey Kratz...there will be no more sanctions placed on UNC athletics...it is all in the academic arena now. I am glad that it is finally over.

That's not the way I heard it. I heard that UNC will have their hearing this month before the NCAA to make the argument that it is an accreditation/academics issue. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not on top of what's going on at UNC, but that's my understanding. The final ruling hasn't been made yet.

Too bad you guys didn't beat UGA though, a loss that has held back the national perception of your team. We fell short in our shot at the Bulldogs two years ago, too.

Have to say that Miami still looks like the better team to me, but you guys have definitely played the tougher schedule to date.

See you in Chapel Hill next year. Go Cardinals!

HEY YOU GUYS LOST A TUFF ONE....HARD TO WIN DOWN @ DEATH VALLEY BUT I THOUGHT IF ANYONE COULD DO IT, YOUR GUYS WOULD. GREAT GAME TO WATCH. LAMAR IS THE REAL DEAL...YOU HAVE A GOOD ONE THERE THAT IS REALLY GOING TO KEEP LOUISVILLE @ THE TOP OF THE HEAP FOR SOME TIME. BY THE WAY EVEN IN ALL THE 2016 LOUISVILLE EXCITEMENT...HAS ANYONE NOTICED THAT UNC has won ten straight ACC regular season games. The Heels even played the Clemson Tigers a pretty good game in last years ACC Championship game and The Tar Heels won their big game last Saturday down in Tallahassee beating FSU 37 - 35 Now all of a sudden we are hearing whispers of QB Mitch Trubisky [who was 33 of 38 against FSU] being a early Heisman candidate. He can throw as well as Lamar but I don't know anyone who is as dangerous as Lamar running the ball. ESPN was following Nick Weiler the UNC placekicker all around campus after his being made famous for that 54 yard field goal to give UNC Football and Larry Fedora a huge win against FSU with both names being talked about on every sports radio or TV talk show out there and the best news coverage that I've seen for UNC football in years. We are back in the teens in both polls, controlling our own destiny with another big game coming up this Saturday in Kenan Stadium against VT. Man, this feels great. It is a Great Day To Be A Tar Heel. What a great win. Now just hoping we can keep it up.

The big story in all this is that the ACC FB as a whole is on the rise. Its becoming more and more competitive every year. That's awesome

Kratz....it is all over regarding any possible sanctions on any of the athletics @ UNC with the possible exception of the girls basketball team...it grieves no one worse than the NC State people who are gnashing their eye teeth over that news. They wanted the death penalty for us as if we deserved it...which we certainly didn't. It is a done deal...no chance for any more sanctions and we have paid our dues over the last 5 years in agony over this BS. The Raleigh News & Observer blew this all out of proportion and a reporter over there named Kane kept our feet to the fire almost weekly in that fish wrapper.

That's not the way I heard it. I heard that UNC will have their hearing this month before the NCAA to make the argument that it is an accreditation/academics issue. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not on top of what's going on at UNC, but that's my understanding. The final ruling hasn't been made yet.

Correct on the timing. It was just announced that a hearing on UNC's procedural argument is scheduled for 28 October. UNC has argued that the NCAA has no jurisdiction over some issues identified in the Notice of Allegations, so this hearing is an opportunity for UNC to make its case.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...ct_28_procedural_hearing_in_unc_academic_case

After the NCAA hears UNC's argument, they will decide whether to agree or disagree with it, at which point both sides will then go forward with a revised, possibly smaller list of allegations against which UNC has to defend itself. This is an extra step in the process of what normally occurs.

Last edited:
Does this in any way affect U of L and it's case? What I mean is does the NCAA work on a case by case basis or can they handle cases simultaneously? I am wondering if UNC's case is prolonging the ruling for the Cards?

Does this in any way affect U of L and it's case? What I mean is does the NCAA work on a case by case basis or can they handle cases simultaneously? I am wondering if UNC's case is prolonging the ruling for the Cards?

I am sure that it is. The NCAA does not have an unlimited supply of investigators to work every case.

Kratz....it is all over regarding any possible sanctions on any of the athletics @ UNC with the possible exception of the girls basketball team...it grieves no one worse than the NC State people who are gnashing their eye teeth over that news. They wanted the death penalty for us as if we deserved it...which we certainly didn't. It is a done deal...no chance for any more sanctions and we have paid our dues over the last 5 years in agony over this BS. The Raleigh News & Observer blew this all out of proportion and a reporter over there named Kane kept our feet to the fire almost weekly in that fish wrapper.
Hope you guys succeed with your arguments and get this behind you. I wanna see Roy spend his remaining years with no stigma from any of this. And the ACC needs football programs like us and the Heels to challenge for championships.

Best of luck...

Zipp it is worth noting that the NCAA asked UNC to keep their request for a preliminary procedural meeting confidential and UNC promptly released the request it to the public. Many people are convinced that the NCAA was taken aback by UNC's refusal to issue a mea culpa in response to the amended charges and meant every word in their thinly veiled promises to see them in court if they wished to push things. The request for a pre-COI procedural discussion was a nice way of saying "whaaa...?

Many think that after 6 years of this mess the University has told the NCAA to crap or get off the pot. You don't hire Skalden and pay them $600/hour to play patticake.

...Many think that after 6 years of this mess the University has told the NCAA to crap or get off the pot. You don't hire Skalden and pay them $600/hour to play patticake.
I wasn't a big proponent of how U of L handled the "voluntary" approach to its penalties. Falling on our sword may have gotten this out of the way more quickly, but I've seen little hard evidence that we would have incurred ANY penalty of the magnitude of a postseason ban. Just a lotta mud slinging from people you wouldn't pay and for damn sure trust to be your babysitter.

Glad to see the Heels standing strong in what may well be the right approach. I'll be watching and second guessing what we did...

I don't know if you deserved the death penalty, but you definitely deserved trouble. That whole AA studies class that went on for what......20 years?....... was a sham to begin with, and unbelievable that it lasted so long. UNC is one of the more respected academic institutions in the country.

Like I said, I'm not completely on top of things at UNC, but you deserve to be in some trouble over that one.

We're not above reproach. We have our own hearing coming down soon in mens basketball.

Katz the claim it was a sham to begin with is pure out and out BS as shown by every investigation undertaken. In the early 80's it was ranked by students as one of the three toughest programs in the College of Arts and Sciences which includes some historically tough majors for example. So instead of simply passing on proven fabrications, the NCAA should have stuck to actual violations instead of what was "socially acceptable" by their own standards.

BTW something surfaced when UNC's lawyers asked the NCAA for their investigation files. It seems one of their own sub-committees TOLD the NCAA leadership it saw no reason or precedent for the NCAA to be rating the value of academics since they were neither qualified or authorized to do so.

Katz the claim it was a sham to begin with is pure out and out BS as shown by every investigation undertaken. In the early 80's it was ranked by students as one of the three toughest programs in the College of Arts and Sciences which includes some historically tough majors for example. So instead of simply passing on proven fabrications, the NCAA should have stuck to actual violations instead of what was "socially acceptable" by their own standards.

BTW something surfaced when UNC's lawyers asked the NCAA for their investigation files. It seems one of their own sub-committees TOLD the NCAA leadership it saw no reason or precedent for the NCAA to be rating the value of academics since they were neither qualified or authorized to do so.

In the early 80's that may have been true. however, this doesn't go back that far.

Classes that never met, no instructors. Yeah, nothing fishy there at all.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/education/unc-scandal/article72207687.html

I wasn't a big proponent of how U of L handled the "voluntary" approach to its penalties. Falling on our sword may have gotten this out of the way more quickly, but I've seen little hard evidence that we would have incurred ANY penalty of the magnitude of a postseason ban. Just a lotta mud slinging from people you wouldn't pay and for damn sure trust to be your babysitter.

Disagree. My next statement is predicated on my belief that the investigation would have gone on for a few years: This scandal involves prostitutes, possibly underage ones, with all known evidence showing that a coaching staff member (McGee) was behind it all. The mudslinging from the trash can lawyer and a self-admitted whore makes it even worse. These are the "plaintiffs," the supposed good guys! That is the "yuckiest of yuck" and absolutely would have resulted in harsh, harsh penalties in the future. I believe history will show that Jurich's pre-emptive action saved the VJ King recruiting class and probably the next one or maybe few after that. This 2016-17 team is absolutely LOADED and experienced and will be a favorite for, not just contend for, a #1 seed and the national title. Absolutely not fair to anyone on the 2015-16 team, especially Damian and Tre, but the best thing for the program.

I'm with Morgantown Card. UofL admitted that there were violations. Which ones, and to what extent, we do not know.

Man up, admit your errors and take your consequences. Yeah, this past season sucked for Damien and Trey, but punishment is always going to suck for someone.

At a minimum part of the consequence has already been taken. That can't be denied by anyone. Maybe we'll be spared any further actions other than probation.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the F U NCAA route that UNC has taken on this one. To each their own, but I'm a believer in manning up when you screw up. UofL has done that.

My opinion doesn't matter any more or less than any other fans, but I've lost a lot of respect for UNC over this whole deal. UNC hoops doesn't need to cheat to win. It's one of the greatest programs of all time. Keeping athletes eligible has severely tarnished the academic reputation of one of the better academic schools in the country.

Playing the Bill Clinton defense of trying every semantic possible only makes it look worse in my eyes. It basically boils down to they're willing to sacrifice their academic standing and some of their accreditations for sports.

Reactions: Mayoman
It's great UNC is doing well. Va Tech, too. 6 ACC teams currently ranked. The conference is looking really good.

I don't know if you deserved the death penalty, but you definitely deserved trouble. That whole AA studies class that went on for what......20 years?....... was a sham to begin with, and unbelievable that it lasted so long. UNC is one of the more respected academic institutions in the country.

Like I said, I'm not completely on top of things at UNC, but you deserve to be in some trouble over that one.

We're not above reproach. We have our own hearing coming down soon in mens basketball.
In fact, NONE of us here in Louisville know what's going on in another program 500 miles away. You know what you've been TOLD. You know what you've READ. And you don't know whether any or all of that is the truth. Very little of what I read or hear nowadays on any subject do I believe without seeing actual evidence. If anyone here has read the actual UNC evidence in detail, I'm inclined to give that person more credibility.

You also don't know what's going on in your own program. You found out something a year ago that you had no idea was going on. And we took our medicine which is what we THINK was the best course of action. But you could have a "sham" underway right now under your own nose. Whether you recognize it or not, you live in a glass house.

I applaud UNC for exercising the appropriate scrutiny of anything the NCAA wants to investigate and allege. And if UNC feels like standing against NCAA allegations, I'm behind them on that as well. None of us here derive any benefit from an ACC member school bearing this type of burden, nor does it lessen your burden having someone else go through it. You're not in the first grade anymore...

Disagree. My next statement is predicated on my belief that the investigation would have gone on for a few years: This scandal involves prostitutes, possibly underage ones, with all known evidence showing that a coaching staff member (McGee) was behind it all. The mudslinging from the trash can lawyer and a self-admitted whore makes it even worse. These are the "plaintiffs," the supposed good guys! That is the "yuckiest of yuck" and absolutely would have resulted in harsh, harsh penalties in the future. I believe history will show that Jurich's pre-emptive action saved the VJ King recruiting class and probably the next one or maybe few after that. This 2016-17 team is absolutely LOADED and experienced and will be a favorite for, not just contend for, a #1 seed and the national title. Absolutely not fair to anyone on the 2015-16 team, especially Damian and Tre, but the best thing for the program.
This is fodder for a different thread, but...

If we have found no more "evidence" than we already know about, I'm 100% convinced we fell on our sword unnecessarily. The personal testimony of a ho doesn't hold much weight with me. And I have heard the same from SVT, Hancock, Wichita, and Russ saying just the opposite. Who am I going to believe?

We took a postseason ban, and we have no confidence that one was coming the following year or any year. We took a year of the tournament away from the players and fans. That's a helluva big deal, and you need to be damn sure it was coming anyway. I have no such assurance based on evidence I know about.

A lot of what you're mentioning falls in the realm of publicity. And I'm from the school that there's no such thing as bad publicity on just about any subject. People remember it for 15 minutes, and it's forgotten. McGee is a distant memory as are the players/recruits allegedly in the middle.

And I saw a beleaguered president out of his element trying to look presidential while announcing "his decision". I don't dislike Ramsey at all, but I recall the expression on Jurich's face at that same presser looking like WTF?

Having said all of that, I reserve the right to change my position some or a lot if we hear new, hard evidence that wasn't already out there. Personally, I'm not expecting that...

This is fodder for a different thread, but...

If we have found no more "evidence" than we already know about, I'm 100% convinced we fell on our sword unnecessarily. The personal testimony of a ho doesn't hold much weight with me. And I have heard the same from SVT, Hancock, Wichita, and Russ saying just the opposite. Who am I going to believe?

We took a postseason ban, and we have no confidence that one was coming the following year or any year. We took a year of the tournament away from the players and fans. That's a helluva big deal, and you need to be damn sure it was coming anyway. I have no such assurance based on evidence I know about.

A lot of what you're mentioning falls in the realm of publicity. And I'm from the school that there's no such thing as bad publicity on just about any subject. People remember it for 15 minutes, and it's forgotten. McGee is a distant memory as are the players/recruits allegedly in the middle.

And I saw a beleaguered president out of his element trying to look presidential while announcing "his decision". I don't dislike Ramsey at all, but I recall the expression on Jurich's face at that same presser looking like WTF?

Having said all of that, I reserve the right to change my position some or a lot if we hear new, hard evidence that wasn't already out there. Personally, I'm not expecting that...

Agreed, this thread has regressed from the OP's intent.

I also agree that we won't learn anything more than we've already learned. The ho was trying to sell a book; the juicier the better. So there's no reason to hold back information; and in fact if anything the book is exaggerated to make it more sensational. Queen Ho herself said the photo of Mangok was innocent: He was passing through, heard a party, took some pictures, and went on his way. It's probably the same with Russ' photo, and those other guys you mentioned probably knew nothing about it either. So, there won't be a sequel book, "Breaking Cardinal Rules 2: Still a Ho After All These Years" or anything like that. There won't be new pictures of the Baby-Faced Assassin snorting coke off of Katrina's big, thyck, round, bent-over ass while Matz is smoking a blunt & making it rain with dollars or anything like that. The book is as bad as it gets, and we already know it has lies & hyperbole. So we are in agreement on no new information.

Where you & I disagree is that I believe that something "very scurrilous" (to use HCRP's words) did happen to the point that self-punishment is needed. Not to the extent that Queen Ho makes it sound (trying to sell a book), but certainly ho's, possibly/probably under-aged, recruits, and a coach behind it all. That's enough to self-impose. My premise is if that happened, even with just Lyle (I am using him since he "confirmed the gist") and no one else, then self-punishment was the right step, protecting the 2016-17 season and beyond.

My apologies to the OP for your topic's digression.

Last edited:
Actually Katz the Weinstein investigation went back farther than the early 1980s. If you care to actually learn something it's been posted online. However since that would require a bit more effort than quoting "published news reports" I doubt if you will. The number of students and their records checked didn't number in the thousands, or even the tens of thousands. You'd have to add another order of magnitude. But keep demonstrating the depth of your understanding...it's almost as funny as a political ad. :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT