ADVERTISEMENT

UK @ UofL (PPD)

PushupMan

25000+
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Tuesday April 11 @ 6pm ET (maybe) on ACCN. Cards (24-7) coming off a sweep of BC, while Cats (27-5) dropped both 7-inning games in their Easter Sunday double header at Georgia to lose their first series of the year. The Cats are 8-0 in midweek games this year, but this will be their first road midweek game. They are 9-4 on the road so far this year.

7PM. I expect Grundy to start. I also expect (hope to see every available arm). I don’t think Koger and Tate willmgo for sure. Korbet should be ready.

This 2023 UK Baseball Roster has 15 transfers; that‘s correct 15! It may not always result in this level of improvement, but it does explain the rather amazing turnaround the Cats are producing thus far.

The Sunday doubleheader losses may, or may not offer some sense of perspective to where they a

Reactions: rh62531
7PM. I expect Grundy to start. I also expect (hope to see every available arm). I don’t think Koger and Tate willmgo for sure. Korbet should be ready.
@Bardman
I think we could see the return of Mr. West at some point tomorrow night.

It's beat Kentucky week! Expect a toe-to-toe war with these two teams trying to get a huge mid week game for more than one reason.

When the time is right,

My guess is McD & Mingione will notice that UK doesn't have a midweek game on MAY 2 and UofL hosts Bellarmine. Although McD certainly wants to play Bellarmine and Coach Dominguez (and Elliot), I suspect with them being local they could agree to play midweek if weather gets gnarly before Memorial Day.

Other option would be May 16 when UK is open (but plays @ Florida on THU) and UofL is scheduled to host NKU (and host Florida St. on THU).

Heck, maybe they do a day / night 7 inning DH on APR 25 w/ a Home & Home (seems pretty unlikely due to strain on pitching).

Both could be vying for hosting a Super Regional …… this could be a very influential game

It’s canceled
I haven't seen anything official, but that's the safe bet. It's hard as hell rescheduling a game once the season gets going. They could perhaps play two when UofL visits Lexington on 4/25, but you don't see many double headers mid-week.

I haven't seen anything official, but that's the safe bet. It's hard as hell rescheduling a game once the season gets going. They could perhaps play two when UofL visits Lexington on 4/25, but you don't see many double headers mid-week.
Yeah, logistical nightmare for the pitching staffs

Haven’t seen this anywhere else, so I’m going to assume it’s an error. The ESPN app lists Bellarmine at Louisville, tomorrow at 7pm.

Tonight - you should have plenty of options to pitch and dominate Bellarmine. Grundy, Danilowicz, Masterman, West (hopefully), Weigman, Galvan. Tonight’s game should hurt our staff for the WF series.

Tonight - you should have plenty of options to pitch and dominate Bellarmine. Grundy, Danilowicz, Masterman, West (hopefully), Weigman, Galvan. Tonight’s game should hurt our staff for the WF series.
They should all probably see at least an inning. They need the work. That group of guys,excluding West(or maybe not) will have to be relied on getting into the thick of this schedule.

Reactions: Bardman
I was at the concession stand Sunday watching Ligget and noticed he has that change up to go along with his other three pitches. A pitch that runs in on right handed hitters, he has the whole package.

What I was wondering 🤔 was did Coach Miller help develop that pitch and man,I hope the rest of the guys would get that pitch going. I know it's a tough pitch to master. Still... it'd be nice if they were.

I wonder if UK will take Bellermine’s game slot on May 2

It will likely be in both team's interests to play this game.
  • If UK loses
    • Not much, if any, RPI hit (road game against good RPI opponent).
    • No other ranking impact as midweek on the road against a good opponent is valued.
  • If UofL loses
    • Might even get a tiny RPI bump given UK RPI
    • No other ranking impact as midweek at home against a good opponent is valued.
  • All upside to whoever wins (RPI and other rankings)
UK could argue THU game that week could impact pitching depth & availability.

Cats and Cards both have an opening that Tuesday. UK doesn’t have a midweek game, and opens a series against South Carolina that Friday.

CardX, I must confess that I did not see that coming either, and being truthful, I was concerned when we started the bottom of the 8th with the BHP. Great way to respond after Roger went to the mound.

Reactions: CardX
A few takeaways
1. Playing your rival in blueneckland in front of their largest crowd ever is not easy.
2. I really think, with this staff, having different guys come in and just pitch and inning or two may be the recipe for success.
3. Huge props to our OF for their defense. Multiple outstanding plays!
4. Lastly, shout out to Hawkins. He has not been able to consistently produce in games thus why he isn’t starting. His pinch hit HR, I am sure, made his month.

Reactions: nccardfan
Isaac Humphrey starting to get hot at the plate. He’s raised his average from about .200 to .248 here in the last three weeks.
Everybody glad to see this. Now let's get Beard going again and this offense will be much more dangerous with these 2 All ACC performers anchoring the bottom half of the lineup.

Reactions: PushupMan
Everybody glad to see this. Now let's get Beard going again and this offense will be much more dangerous with these 2 All ACC performers anchoring the bottom half of the lineup.
Beard was good last night. After Payton HR in the 2nd, Beard led off 3rd w/ a hustle double. (Cards finally got some love last night in the replay booth as well as I think all challenges went our way.)

He also singled to lead off the 5th and came around and scored.

In the 7th, Beard came up 2nd and went L screen through the box to get Anderson over to 3B.

Scoring 7 runs w/ McCoy, Cook and Benson each w/ 3 Ks is a good sign of consistency top to bottom like we had early and in Houston. Add in King's 2 and overall 14 and that is simply too many to be sustainable.

4 BBs & 1 HBP is OK but more importantly the Ps seemed to be working ahead and establishing early strikes. That shows you can do it and forces hitters to swing.

As I have stated previously, if we can get the depth of the pitching staff performing well, using a formula like Duke did this past weekend with "openers" as opposed to traditional "get me 6 innings" starters can be very effective. Hawks, Phillips & Liggett (especially) should be given a bit of slack to get through several innings, but when hitters start to barrel things in the 2nd or 3rd time through the order, a quicker hook to a deeper bullpen is the answer.

Definitely need to reduce the Ks. McCoy seems like he is feast or famine.

Beard was good last night.
That's the Beard we need consistently going forward. The offense will be asked to carry the load going forward. They're capable and proven. Let’s hope it carries over.

Through 18 league games ,the Cards are averaging 5 runs per game. There are outliers both ways, but I really think they need to bump that production up to 7-8 per game. Again, I'm not sure we can depend on the pitching staff to hold teams down consistently. I'd rather rely on some sort of steadiness from them and a red hot offense. Jmo

Definitely need to reduce the Ks. McCoy seems like he is feast or famine.
I think he's showing signs of realizing that his aggressive nature is being exploited. Take a few walks, get some hitters' counts and he will see better pitches.

I think he's showing signs of realizing that his aggressive nature is being exploited. Take a few walks, get some hitters' counts and he will see better
Exactly. I’d just like to see him swing into the pitch. He has shown he can drive the ball to the opposite field. If he isn’t trying pull everything so hard I think he’d cut down on the Ks.

Exactly. I’d just like to see him swing into the pitch. He has shown he can drive the ball to the opposite field. If he isn’t trying pull everything so hard I think he’d cut down on the Ks.
All of these hitters have sharp eyes. They let balls go by that younger me would have chased and swung at like a mad swatter. McCoy seems to think his eye is superior. He looks at 3rd strikes often.

• Haha
Reactions: earsky
Seriously though, I think McCoy is a huge piece of the puzzle in the middle of the lineup and his adapting to the level of pitching that he's seeing now is critical to his piece fitting that puzzle.

Reactions: Bardman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT