ADVERTISEMENT

UK basketball lack of discipline

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd bet Newman or Simmons at this point would rather trade some PT playing at UK than their current locations where they will be in the NIT.
Those kids only give a damn about getting picked high in the draft.

And why trade a spot on one SEC basketball roster for another one? Isn't that like trading one junk car for another junker?

"Elite program", my a$$...

The problem with those kids is sure they are the man on that team but they don't get as recognized as those who play for bigger schools. Not just saying uk but ul as well. Until last night I never watched rabb and brown they are both studs yet they aren't one of the first teams shown on ESPN. Lsu won't make the tournament. Same can be said for a lot of those kids who wanted to be the man. In the nba, very few teams have the man that stands out but it took them years to do so. These guys don't face the top talent they could be exposed to but it sets them back by playing Mediocre talent in non conference play. Yes there are plus and minuses, but I think the risk is worth the reward to sacfrice a few minutes if it will improve your game and make you look better. After all, the nba does draft mainly on potential

Nothing applies 100% of the time, and there are always shades of gray. You're requiring some kind of absolute criterion.

When you get 5-star kids who are less than advertised, the decision becomes does that guarantee overrule (Twins) or does the guy suck out loud (Skal)? The first issue should never be a consideration with most programs.

The platoon got a kid minutes (Lee) at the expense of kids who were far better (Towns). Did Towns get more minutes than Lee?...Sure. But with the number of players LPT had in 2015 and the disparity in talent between kids like Towns and Lee, the latter should have been buried on the bench. His play this year proves that. Instead, he was a full fledged platoon member.

Nothing applies 100% of the time, and there are always shades of gray. You're requiring some kind of absolute criterion.

When you get 5-star kids who are less than advertised, the decision becomes does that guarantee overrule (Twins) or does the guy suck out loud (Skal)? The first issue should never be a consideration with most programs.

The platoon got a kid minutes (Lee) at the expense of kids who were far better (Towns). Did Towns get more minutes than Lee?...Sure. But with the number of players LPT had in 2015 and the disparity in talent between kids like Towns and Lee, the latter should have been buried on the bench. His play this year proves that. Instead, he was a full fledged platoon member.

ast years team made history and was within an eyelash of doing something unprecedented. How can anyone find anything to criticize? I mean sure you can criticize but that would be silly. That's some serious nit- picking

Again as you fail to understand what zipp has tried to communicate is player development. Calipari didn't produce a pro. He just gave them a place to play, otherwise Wiltjer would be a pro. These guys were expected to be pros when they came in. In wiltjer's own words, he cited his own athletic ambition over being a so called celebrity in the big blue Nation. The primary factor was the decision to transform his body, which implies UK was going to do nothing or spend time to improve him to get to where he thought he could be. It didn't hurt Olynyk to go to gonzaga to get to the NBA.

He turned Harelson into a pro.

You mean the guy who is playing in Latvia? Coach Gary wacker at St Charles HS is credited with developing Josh's skills where he went from not playing until hew was a FR to Allstate as a JR and a SR. As a Gillespie recruit, calipari played him very little but only got a chance when Kanter's ineligibility. Sound familiar? Cmon don't you even know your own players? I guess not, they're not there long.

last years team made history and was within an eyelash of doing something unprecedented. How can anyone find anything to criticize? I mean sure you can criticize but that would be silly. That's some serious nit- picking
You're just consoling yourself with that LPT "history" talk...

Last year's team won every game except the one that mattered most. And the average LPT fan thinks it lost BECAUSE of the Twins playing when they shouldn't have--the subject of this thread.

Still just one championship with A-L-L of that wasted talent.

Doesn't matter because no U of L fan with a brain benchmarks himself by anything related to LPT. You win the national title or you don't. THAT is what matters.

(Or maybe an ACC championship--the best conference in history.)

Yeah, Oh My, he hurt us so bad with that, lol.

Super bowl? No. UK just has a better team every year. By this logic I guess Kentucky is Louisville's Super Bowl in football every year. You've been owning us in football but that's just because we are your guys super bowl, right Zipp? It couldn't possibly be because you have a better squad, could it?

Super bowl? No. UK just has a better team every year. By this logic I guess Kentucky is Louisville's Super Bowl in football every year. You've been owning us in football but that's just because we are your guys super bowl, right Zipp? It couldn't possibly be because you have a better squad, could it?
Let me ask a slappy this question... Do you honestly believe that your 2013 NIT team was three points worse than U of L's national championship team playing at our house? Do you believe that in a seven-game series at a neutral site, your average team would win six? (Hell, you can't do that against pitiful SEC teams.)

Since you're an LPT fan, you probably do. But there's your Super Bowl.

Your football team sucks so bad that any decent team can run off a big winning streak. That's not a valid comparison. Put another way, U of L basketball is a helluva lot better than LPT football.

Super Bowl, slappy. Super Bowl.

Last edited:
Super Bowl.

And still just one title with 30 five-star kids.

I enjoy butting heads with zipp and don't always agree with him, but I can admit he has supplied some pretty convincing evidence that the U of L game means a lot more to UK than it does the other way. Even as a UK fan I have to wonder how we can consistently beat U of L and other teams in the OOC, make deep runs every single year, yet lay eggs in the SEC. The only logical reason is that we get up for U of L and other big games, but sleepwalk through the SEC schedule. Frankly, it's probably because for the most part, we can, and sometimes it costs us. Look at just a few weeks ago - we took Kansas to OT at their place, where they never lose, and followed it up 2 days later with an absolute stinker @ Tennessee. U of L is definitely, at the very least, an AFC championship game to us. Super Bowl I believe is copyrighted :D

Reactions: zipp
I enjoy butting heads with zipp and don't always agree with him, but I can admit he has supplied some pretty convincing evidence that the U of L game means a lot more to UK than it does the other way. Even as a UK fan I have to wonder how we can consistently beat U of L and other teams in the OOC, make deep runs every single year, yet lay eggs in the SEC. The only logical reason is that we get up for U of L and other big games, but sleepwalk through the SEC schedule. Frankly, it's probably because for the most part, we can, and sometimes it costs us. Look at just a few weeks ago - we took Kansas to OT at their place, where they never lose, and followed it up 2 days later with an absolute stinker @ Tennessee. U of L is definitely, at the very least, an AFC championship game to us. Super Bowl I believe is copyrighted :D
Mind you, I'm not necessarily proud of the fact that LPT gets up to beat U of L more than the other way around. But it is what it is, and I'm willing to acknowledge it. There's really no other rational way to explain it.

And I'm agreeing with your coach that there are teams that get up big time to beat you--as examples, most SEC teams playing LPT--and that makes a difference. He calls it "Super Bowl", and I agree with that reference.

Reactions: JohnKBA
Pitino used to coach the team I am a fan of. Great coach and his players played like animals. They played with pride all the time. So let's say you are right Zipp. Then What changed? Are they scared? Intimidated? Do they think they are at a church league game or something? Doesn't sound like pitino to me. I bet the UL players are stoked to hear that their fan's excuse for them is that they play with no heart. Oddest fan perspective I've ever seen...
All U of L teams have higher goals than beating LPT that are drilled into their heads. I enumerated these athletic departmental priorities awhile back, and winning the LPT basketball game was like ninth on the list--and behind winning, for example, an ACC championship in just about any sport. The LPT games for the U of L coaches involved have become a distraction, and I think most U of L coaches would tell you that the "rivalry" has outlived its usefulness in their sport from U of L's standpoint. The only exception would probably be Petrino because of the difference between the two programs.

What has changed is a good question... U of L's program evolution as a national power is probably the biggest. And I think within the State, it's a bigger deal for most kids and teams to go up against U of L. People wanna beat LPT because of old history and arrogance; they wanna beat U of L because they're the trend-setter in most sports, at least locally.

And to reiterate my prior point, there's no other rational way to explain, for example, the performance of either of LPT's basketball teams against U of L. Even the LPT football team does better against U of L than it should. U of L has clearly had the better team the last two years AND Petrino on the sidelines. Yet, both games were competitive into the 4th quarter. Again, don't tell me your NIT team was legitimately three points worse than U of L's championship team ON THE ROAD. That dog don't hunt.

...By the way, has anyone ever told you that you look exactly like Mitch Barnhart ? Dead ringer man.
At least I have eyes, a nose, and a mouth.

All U of L teams have higher goals than beating LPT that are drilled into their heads. I enumerated these athletic departmental priorities awhile back, and winning the LPT basketball game was like ninth on the list--and behind winning, for example, an ACC championship in just about any sport. The LPT games for the U of L coaches involved have become a distraction, and I think most U of L coaches would tell you that the "rivalry" has outlived its usefulness in their sport from U of L's standpoint. The only exception would probably be Petrino because of the difference between the two programs.

What has changed is a good question... U of L's program evolution as a national power is probably the biggest. And I think within the State, it's a bigger deal for most kids and teams to go up against U of L. People wanna beat LPT because of old history and arrogance; they wanna beat U of L because they're the trend-setter in most sports, at least locally.

And to reiterate my prior point, there's no other rational way to explain, for example, the performance of either of LPT's basketball teams against U of L. Even the LPT football team does better against U of L than it should. U of L has clearly had the better team the last two years AND Petrino on the sidelines. Yet, both games were competitive into the 4th quarter. Again, don't tell me your NIT team was legitimately three points worse than U of L's championship team ON THE ROAD. That dog don't hunt.

At least I have eyes, a nose, and a mouth.

The core topic in this thread is to argue that UK has no discipline. But Zipp you continue to remind us all that Louisville can't get up for its biggest rival. That's a disciplined club right there. Hmmmm.

Let's not forget those two games in the ncaa tourney with all the marbles on the line. You still want to say that your club didn't care?

As far as the evolution of your program. I don't know man. Judging by what's happened recently I might re-think that stance.

At least I have eyes, a nose, and a SMART mouth.

There I fixed it for you.

The core topic in this thread is to argue that UK has no discipline. But Zipp you continue to remind us all that Louisville can't get up for its biggest rival. That's a disciplined club right there. Hmmmm.

Let's not forget those two games in the ncaa tourney with all the marbles on the line. You still want to say that your club didn't care?
Discipline is taking care of your business OFF the court. And how your coach deals with you when you don't.

Both of those LPT teams in the NCAA had at least five 5-star kids IIRC. U of L had maybe one in total.

Slight difference.

"Elite program:, my a$$...

Discipline is taking care of your business OFF the court. And how your coach deals with you when you don't.

Both of those LPT teams in the NCAA had at least five 5-star kids IIRC. U of L had maybe one in total.

Slight difference.

But... You just said UK had to play a super bowl to beat us in the regular season but then in the NCAA, they simply had better players? Did I miss something or didn't those same guys play in both games? Which is it, inquiring minds want to know?

Slight difference.

Ok so in the regular season Kentucky wins because Louisville doesn't care as much about the game. In the tournament Kentucky wins because they recruit better. I suppose they are both valid points.

Slight difference.

So there is no such thing as discipline on the court? Interesting.

Ok so in the regular season Kentucky wins because Louisville doesn't care as much about the game. In the tournament Kentucky wins because they recruit better. I suppose they are both valid points.
When the teams are close in talent, intangibles like effort matter a lot. If there's an overwhelming talent difference, it doesn't. Is that hard to understand?

But... You just said UK had to play a super bowl to beat us in the regular season but then in the NCAA, they simply had better players? Did I miss something or didn't those same guys play in both games? Which is it, inquiring minds want to know?
I never said which game was explained by what. You partnering up with slappies now?...

Now Zipp,

You know I have never agreed with the super bowl theory. And sometimes they do make good points because some of your arguments or explanations don't hold water, only in your mind. I've noticed how you detract from certain things and it takes you awhile to come up with a good response, sometimes with only an insult because well, you're Zipp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT