ADVERTISEMENT

Tyra Job Performance

The problem I have with this thread is that most posters don't even begin to give the credit to Jurich, by comparison, that is due. Tyra will not be able to be evaluated on getting into a better conference or on financing and building major sports athletics infrastructure, both things achieved by Jurich. The major Coaching moves that Tyra has made are still unresolved in terms of degree of success, and will be for some time. Jurich grew the budget from about $35m or so to $110m or so. Jurich had hits and misses. And in hindsight, they are easy to see. But Tyra's moves are not easy to see yet. There's no hindsight.

Tyra seems to be very hard working. He did not have AD chops when he got the job. He seems good at controlling costs. The jury is out on generating contributions.

Jurich lived in a pre-scandal world, mostly. Tyra is living in a post-scandal world. The measuring sticks are going to be different.

Jurich did something here that most would have considered impossible. Tyra is in a very tough situation. Very different.

We need to measure Tyra's forward going success and failure in several dimensions: Ethics. Financial Control. Revenue Growth. Contributions. Ticket Sales. Retention of Good Coaches. Hiring Good Coaches. Achieving On Court/On Field competitive W-L success in 22 sports. Especially achieving Revenue and W-L success in the 2 main Revenue sports. Improving and Rebuilding Nationwide Respect for UofL Athletics.

I can agree with OP's 1-4 but I think the soccer selection is TBD. There is no doubt that Lolla put UofL soccer in the consistent Top 10. To select a first time ever HC seems a bit dangerous. Lolla made very good money as soccer coaches went and I cannot help but wonder whether the new AD would equal that standard.

And, regarding football, I cannot get this thought out of my mind...

Has it ever occurred to anyone that Petrino didn't really want to work with the new AD. If Petrino wanted to be fired because of his loyalty to TJ, he couldn't have set it up any better. Win-win situation for Petrino. Lose-lose for UL and new AD. If TJ still around, would we have had to replace all the other coaches beside basketball? Most would argue NOT.

It is hard, if not impossible, to in any way, for me to justify or rationalize the 2018 football season. FWIW, I would have liked to have seen TJ have the opportunity to fix the mess he basically created. For whatever reasons, the Petrino family totally lost/abandoned the football team in 2018 and "recoveries" from such situations are few and far between. Change was absolutely necessary.

All in all, a damn tough year for a new AD.

Peace

Reactions: Mayoman
I think Jurich wanted UofL to be the best in every sport if possible. Get and Keep the Best Coaches. He failed. I don't think Tyra wants to be the best. I think he wants to be efficient, ethical, and enjoy respect from peers.

I think Jurich wanted UofL to be the best in every sport if possible. Get and Keep the Best Coaches. He failed. I don't think Tyra wants to be the best. I think he wants to be efficient, ethical, and enjoy respect from peers.
I think Tyra wants to be the best as well. He just has a more businesslike approach which isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

Reactions: gocds
Has it ever occurred to anyone that Petrino didn't really want to work with the new AD. If Petrino wanted to be fired because of his loyalty to TJ, he couldn't have set it up any better. Win-win situation for Petrino. Lose-lose for UL and new AD. If TJ still around, would we have had to replace all the other coaches beside basketball? Most would argue NOT.
He have to be pretty certain that he wasn’t committing career suicide, not for just him but his family...

Pretty sure the facility was just little yum by default. Not sure if we got much out of that existing sponsorship on the practice facility, so if you’ve got numbers I’d like to see them.

KFB numbers haven’t been released, so I’d be curious to hear that as well.

As far as planet fitness goes, I’m sure they were donating a lot less than they are now. I don’t recall them being on anything.
No company gets their name on anything at U of L "by default". And Yum bought out their remaining financial commitment as part of the PF deal. I didn't see what that commitment was, but we lost it going forward. That's hardly reason to celebrate.

As watson says, PF has donated a lotta money to U of L over the years. They're not new to the picture; the only difference is "Vince" promoting them. Whoopee...

I think Tyra wants to be the best as well. He just has a more businesslike approach which isn’t necessarily a bad thing.
I don't understand "more businesslike"?

TJ raised our income/budget by $75 MILLION, and got us not one, but two conference upgrades.

That takes some business smarts.

I would like to see the response of the board if we had hired Neil Huffman of the Auto Industry to be our HFBC. Or HBBC. OR soccer coach for that matter. We have people bitching about the soccer coach not having enough "experience".

Yet, we hand the keys to the entire athletic department to a true novice, and say things will be "fine".

Would he be as welcomed if had hired him as HFBC? Of course not. But really, what's the difference? Inexperience is inexperience.

We gotta hope he can do a good job, because by the time we know he isn't, we may be in a hole we never get out of.

As Guardman says, it will take time to judge. I think he has FB and BB on a good foundation, and they are the moneymakers.

Gotta hope we fly. And soon.

I don't understand "more businesslike"?

TJ raised our income/budget by $75 MILLION, and got us not one, but two conference upgrades.

That takes some business smarts.

I would like to see the response of the board if we had hired Neil Huffman of the Auto Industry to be our HFBC. Or HBBC. OR soccer coach for that matter. We have people bitching about the soccer coach not having enough "experience".

Yet, we hand the keys to the entire athletic department to a true novice, and say things will be "fine".

Would he be as welcomed if had hired him as HFBC? Of course not. But really, what's the difference? Inexperience is inexperience.

We gotta hope he can do a good job, because by the time we know he isn't, we may be in a hole we never get out of.

As Guardman says, it will take time to judge. I think he has FB and BB on a good foundation, and they are the moneymakers.

Gotta hope we fly. And soon.

Some jobs require specific technical skills that aren’t really transferable (ie surgeon, football coach). Some jobs require skills that are more transferable across different industries (ie: hospital executive, athletic director).

Reactions: Art79
Some jobs require specific technical skills that aren’t really transferable (ie surgeon, football coach). Some jobs require skills that are more transferable across different industries (ie: hospital executive, athletic director).

But how many "connections" to athletics will that hospital exec have?

All we talk about is what coach know who in FLA/GA etc. Or can we get so-and-so, and on and on.

I don't know how VT is going to be. Of course I hope it's great.

But if we, University of Louisville Athletics, is as good as we've conVINCED ourselves....WHY could we not have poached a TOP, PROVEN AD from somewhere? Mostly because we didn't look.

We went for an arranged marriage, and hope we learn to love and appreciate one another.

But how many "connections" to athletics will that hospital exec have?

All we talk about is what coach know who in FLA/GA etc. Or can we get so-and-so, and on and on.

I don't know how VT is going to be. Of course I hope it's great.

But if we, University of Louisville Athletics, is as good as we've conVINCED ourselves....WHY could we not have poached a TOP, PROVEN AD from somewhere? Mostly because we didn't look.

We went for an arranged marriage, and hope we learn to love and appreciate one another.

I agree we didn’t really look for a full time replacement. But I also think Tyra had a 6 month audition for the job where he showed strong acumen for the position. Because of that UofL saw him as a low risk, strong reward replacement. I think he is what we need right now - strong leader, ethical, effective administator, able to articulate a vision and act on that vision, confident enough to make hard decisions, proven experience enacting policies and procedures, etc. It might be the case that he isn’t what we need 3 years from now. But I think the stability he will have provided during this tumultuous time will ultimately make the job one of the most desirable AD positions in the country. I don’t think it was 12 months ago.

Curious, what are those couple things?
The most obvious accomplishment IMO was keeping Dan McDonnell. Some don't think that losing Coach Mac was a real risk, but I don't know that to be true. And McDonnell is one of the best people in the athletics department, if not THE best.

I gave "Vince" credit for signing USF to a 2-for-1 football deal IF he had a big hand in that. It happened so early in his tenure, I kinda doubt that he did. That is, was the deal verbally agreed between the schools and "Vince" just signed the contract? If so, he gets no real credit for that.

Unless the guy gets credit for just doing his job or what I call "fake accomplishments", that's my list. I'm willing to debate any other "accomplishment" that comes to mind. On the con side, it's only been about 15 months, but I could already write a short novel...

...able to articulate a vision and act on that vision...
Except for his "numbers guy" and "data driven" remarks, I see no evidence that the guy has a plan or is even interested in articulating it. I know he's been asked.

"Ethics" is his only answer, and that's an easy play for him...

Except for his "numbers guy" and "data driven" remarks, I see no evidence that the guy has a plan or is even interested in articulating it. I know he's been asked.

"Ethics" is his only answer, and that's an easy play for him...

He has restructured the athletics department and is in the process of implementing that plan. In particular I think the Associate AD for Student-Athlete Health and Performance will be copied by many universities. Also we’ve had ad nauseum discussion in another thread about his plans for fan engagement. Those plans are being implemented as well.

He has restructured the athletics department and is in the process of implementing that plan. In particular I think the Associate AD for Student-Athlete Health and Performance will be copied by many universities. Also we’ve had ad nauseum discussion in another thread about his plans for fan engagement. Those plans are being implemented as well.
I'd like to know what about the prior administration screamed the need for restructuring and fan engagement? I'd argue that both are simply the outcome of less money coming in. It's reactionary.

What's his plan to increase revenue? I've asked him personally and never gotten an answer. In today's environment, revenue raising should be front and center everyday. What I see everyday is an effort to cut costs. That's a bad vision long term...

There is a business model with the goal of maximizing revenue and income in the short term with no regard to future expenses or revenue trends. The Ponzi scheme. I’m glad our Athletic Director is trying to keep us solvent.

I'd like to know what about the prior administration screamed the need for restructuring and fan engagement? I'd argue that both are simply the outcome of less money coming in. It's reactionary.

What's his plan to increase revenue? I've asked him personally and never gotten an answer. In today's environment, revenue raising should be front and center everyday. What I see everyday is an effort to cut costs. That's a bad vision long term...

Who brought up the prior administration? Why must you interject that?

No company gets their name on anything at U of L "by default". And Yum bought out their remaining financial commitment as part of the PF deal. I didn't see what that commitment was, but we lost it going forward. That's hardly reason to celebrate.

As watson says, PF has donated a lotta money to U of L over the years. They're not new to the picture; the only difference is "Vince" promoting them. Whoopee...
I never understood why Yum would have their name on the arena AND practice facility. From their POV, it probably made sense to diversify. They have been replaced for naming rights, though I don’t know the particulars of that deal. I don’t think the Yum buyout reflects negatively on Vince NQ. I think Vince NQ May end up with sort of a Gerald Ford type legacy, known for restoring stability and laying a good foundation for future growth. We just need to avoid hiring a “Jimmy Carter” when Vince NQ leaves.

Bahahaha. What are you on the Board?

There is a business model with the goal of maximizing revenue and income in the short term with no regard to future expenses or revenue trends. The Ponzi scheme. I’m glad our Athletic Director is trying to keep us solvent.
A Ponzi scheme always involves investors who want and expect to receive their money back. Not to mention, no profit with a non-profit.

IOW, bad comparison...

I never understood why Yum would have their name on the arena AND practice facility. From their POV, it probably made sense to diversify. They have been replaced for naming rights, though I don’t know the particulars of that deal. I don’t think the Yum buyout reflects negatively on Vince NQ. I think Vince NQ May end up with sort of a Gerald Ford type legacy, known for restoring stability and laying a good foundation for future growth. We just need to avoid hiring a “Jimmy Carter” when Vince NQ leaves.
No need to rationalize what you don't know. What we DO know is they're giving less money to U of L. Why doesn't matter.

And if there's an issue with how their sponsorship money was being used for promotion, I'm sure U of L could have come up with a better solution than "here's your money back." Endow some academic scholarships or faculty positions...

Actually the Ponzi scheme reference is accurate. Donors to universities do expect a return on their money. Especially corporate and business donors. Companies want to be associated with popular, winning, scandal free and well run sports teams. Brand recognition and goodwill have value in the marketplace. Every game on TV from the YUM center includes a break where they show the building from across the Ohio River and the announcers say how awesome the YUM center is. Individual donors on the other hand give for a myriad of personal reasons. Unlike corporate donors they don't have to justify to shareholders why they are giving away all this money.

Full disclosure, I don't own stock in YUM brands or any company that has (or has until recently had) their name on a U of L sports facility. But I don't think shareholders attending the YUM brands annual meeting complain about donations or sponsorships for U of L. If they are complaining the recent deal for Planet Fitness to take the basketball practice facility off YUM's dole should make investors feel better.

U of L has new or recently expanded facilities for every sport so it's reasonable that one reason for donations has disappeared. We have great places to play and practice sports. Thank you Mr. Jurich and all the deep pockets who worked or gave to make that happen. The current Athletic Director now has to find coaches we can afford to pay that will develop teams sponsors will want to be associated with. Especially in the 2 sports that are U of L and most schools leading revenue producers. I'm not ready to put up the white flag and claim we are a baseball or soccer school now.

Poor analogy. Why do some coaches become AD’s. Technical skills between surgeon and coach are not even comparable because of the actual amount of education and training required.

Poor analogy. Why do some coaches become AD’s. Technical skills between surgeon and coach are not even comparable because of the actual amount of education and training required.

You actually made my analogy even stronger. Some surgeons become hospital execs, just like some coaches become AD’s. However AD’s don’t become coaches (except Barry Alvarez) and hospital administrators don’t become surgeons. Thanks for the help.

You actually made my analogy even stronger. Some surgeons become hospital execs, just like some coaches become AD’s. However AD’s don’t become coaches (except Barry Alvarez) and hospital administrators don’t become surgeons. Thanks for the help.
No wonder you can’t win a debate with Zipp.

In your first post you said coaches don’t have transferable skills like surgeons but yet you say later that surgeons become administrators. Wish I knew how to post that “moving goal posts” video that you like to use.

moving-goalposts-gif.gif

I think 'hop' must have posted all of these online...

Said the guy without "Vince" on his voice mail...

That’s actually pretty funny.

Regarding our AD situation, I loved TJ. I shook his hand at a UofL football game one time, and he greeted me as if we were pals. I told him that i appreciated how much effort he put into building our fball program up, as im a fball first guy. I didn’t want to see him go, but Tom should have seen the writing on the wall regarding Pitino. I understand that certain people didn’t like the idea of Tom having so much power at UofL, and I’m in the opinion those people are really to blame with our current state of affairs regarding donors. Regardless of all of that, I’m willing to give Tyra a chance, mainly due to being a UofL first kind of guy.

I've got his personal voice mail on my cell phone. Do you?...
Lol - What does that even mean? You have Tyra’s personal cell phone number or, he called your phone and left you a VM that you’ve (channeling your inner 13 year old girl) decided to save?

Reactions: kentuckyshame
Tyra was a good athlete in college and a competitor. I played against him while at Louisville. He was part of a really good team. This talk that he doesn't want the best coaches to compete for titles is nonsense. He has proven that same competitiveness in his professional life which is hard to do. He is an executive and the AD role is comparable.

His inexperience was in 2 areas finding coaching talent and fundraising. Not being connected in the athletic world was a problem hasn't be a factor. He has hired good coaches and coaches in the 2 money making program have been praised nationally. The non-revenue sports hires have been good and thoughtful financial decisions. The only coach to leave by their own choice was the soccer coach which seemed to be looking for a different opportunity to impact more people. It is really hard to argue his hires at this point haven't been good, but on the future results will tell us to real story.

Fundraising this is the one area that where his learning curve is higher. It could take time or prove to be his biggest weakness. I think there are legit concerns on this front. In many ways the AD primary role over the past 5-10 year has moved from administrator to fundraiser. Jurich was ahead of the curve no doubt. Vince is having to deal with that fallout and new tax laws. It is different world in fundraising for business investment than in athletics. While there are similarities it is different.

Time will tell

Last edited:
Tyra was a good athlete in college and a competitor. I played against him while at Louisville. He was part of a really good team. This talk that he doesn't want the best coaches to compete for titles is nonsense. He has proven that same competitiveness in his professional life which is hard to do. He is an executive and the AD role is comparable.

His inexperience was in 2 areas finding coaching talent and fundraising. Not being connected in the athletic world was a problem hasn't be a factor. He has hired good coaches and coaches in the 2 money making program have been praised nationally. The non-revenue sports hires have been good and thoughtful financial decisions. The only coach to leave by their own choice was the soccer coach which seemed to be looking for a different opportunity to impact more people. It is really hard to argue his hires at this point haven't been good, but on the future results will tell us to real story.

Fundraising this is the one area that where his learning curve is higher. It could take time or prove to be his biggest weakness. I think there are legit concerns on this front. In many ways the AD primary role over the past 5-10 year has moved from administrator to fundraiser. Jurich was ahead of the curve no doubt. Vince is having to deal with that fallout and new tax laws. It is different world in fundraising for business investment than in athletics. While there are similarities it is different.

Time will tell
Good balanced assessment.

Lol - What does that even mean? You have Tyra’s personal cell phone number or, he called your phone and left you a VM that you’ve (channeling your inner 13 year old girl) decided to save?
Said another guy with no "Vince" voice mail on his phone...

Time will tell
I don't disagree with most of that, but you're being too forgiving or understanding on his coaching hires. He's already promoted two assistants to head coaching positions. Jurich didn't need to do that but one time in twenty years, to my knowledge.

"Vince" is consistently saving money with each hire vs. the coach he's replacing. And the coaches he's going out and getting are simply being paid more and/or getting a better job here. That's called "doing your job as AD", not necessarily doing it well. To call it that is a fake accomplishment IMO.

And you can't ignore the amount of coaching and staffing attrition that has occurred. For a department that was perceived as best in breed, that's NOT what you wanted to see. Worse yet, it's probably not over...

And you can't ignore the amount of coaching and staffing attrition that has occurred. For a department that was perceived as best in breed, that's NOT what you wanted to see. Worse yet, it's probably not over...

It’s true, there has been attrition. A good question to ask is, “how would a Jurich have handled each of these situations?” I believe he is already on record as saying he would have fired CRP, though he may have managed a less financially-hazardous path. Bobby? Assuming 2-10 would have happened irrespective of who was AD, would Jurich have stuck with him? He showed Krags the door, and almost fired Bobby in the past, too. The other coaches left on their own accord (the Ladybird guy I can’t imagine is somebody TJ cared much about) so you could argue they left because Jurich wasn’t here, but there is no objective evidence to that effect. I’m just not sure what Jurich would have done differently. Are you?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT