ADVERTISEMENT

Tyra Job Performance

Jan 5, 2011
I got this idea to do a Pro/Con analysis of Tyra’s job performance up to this point. If anyone has anything to add to the list feel free. I’d ask everyone to keep in mind the mess Tyra inherited from the former regime as far as filling some of our bigger coaching positions.

PROS:

1. The Chris Mack hire. Definitely needs to be noted Chris left his much beloved alma mater to come coach at UofL. Nice job to lure him away.
  2. Making the tough decision to fire BP. Vince had nothing to do with the previous contract and the buyout of BP. I think Tyra showed vision when he weighed the buyout against the potential loss to keep Bobby on staff.
  3. Coach Satterfield hire. Glad Vince kept his head and did not attempt to get into a bidding war with Purdue over Brohm.
  4. Spearheading the Little Yum Center donation.
  5. Replacing our much beloved, and successful Coach Lolla (after his resignation) of our men’s soccer team. I feel like he made a great hire with the up and comer Hayden.
CONS:

Pro #1 is a wash. Mack wanted to be here, he didn't have to be lured. But I will give Tyra credit for asking.
Pro #5 would be Con #1 for me. You don't give an established program to a rookie HC unless nobody else was interested. Seems like he took the easy route. Then again, maybe we are strapped for cash ala #2.

I do like 2,3 and 4.

Reactions: zipp
Has it ever occurred to anyone that Petrino didn't really want to work with the new AD. If Petrino wanted to be fired because of his loyalty to TJ, he couldn't have set it up any better. Win-win situation for Petrino. Lose-lose for UL and new AD. If TJ still around, would we have had to replace all the other coaches beside basketball? Most would argue NOT.

TJ would have fired Petrino and Sharp. Lolla would still be here but not for much longer, he was looking to move on at some point. And for TJ to still be here, he would have had to fire Pitino.

Pro #5 would be Con #1 for me. You don't give an established program to a rookie HC unless nobody else was interested.
My number 1 Con???

You don't give an established program to a rookie AD..... unless nobody else was interested. (See how that works?)

We didn't hire a "rookie" HC this time. CBP1 and Charlie were the rookies.

We hired an established Championship producing HC.

If you think Satt is a "rookie", how do you justify the VT hire? (Who I think is doing a pretty good job so far)

Reactions: jmac1029 and zipp
While it’s still a work in progress, I like the consumer-centric mindset Tyra is bringing. Lowering concessions, baseball ticket price change, offering ticket upgrade to three basketball games, etc. I think he recognizes the changes that has been coming in terms of game attendance and realizes that the fans need to be treated as consumers that have options.

I love the OP's list of all pros. Exactly what I expected.

As far as everyone else's contributions, I'm enjoying what I read. Great when others do the heavy lifting, and everyone scores a "like". Nice work...

Last edited:
Reactions: mwatson61
I love the OP's list of all pros. Exactly what I expected.

As far as everyone else' contributions, I'm enjoying what I read. Great when others do the heavy lifting, and everyone scores a "like". Nice work...

Woah, why didn’t you “like” Knucklehank’s comment? Guess it doesn’t fit your narrative.

Either ways, this thread was just for you ol buddy, and as expected, didn’t think you’d add anything worth reading!;)

Has it ever occurred to anyone that Petrino didn't really want to work with the new AD. If Petrino wanted to be fired because of his loyalty to TJ, he couldn't have set it up any better. Win-win situation for Petrino. Lose-lose for UL and new AD. If TJ still around, would we have had to replace all the other coaches beside basketball? Most would argue NOT.

Petrino has some undesirable personality traits but I can’t imagine he’d derail the careers of his son and two sons-in-law, not to mention the foundation his daughter chairs, because of he didn’t want to work for the new AD.

Reactions: Art79
Woah, why didn’t you “like” Knucklehank’s comment? Guess it doesn’t fit your narrative.

Either ways, this thread was just for you ol buddy, and as expected, didn’t think you’d add anything worth reading!;)
knuckles didn't do any heavy lifting. He basically lauded "Vince" for creative ways of cutting prices to sell his product, couched as "consumer centric mindset." That must be a consumer wanting a lot more of something tangible for his money.

Thanks "Vince"! That's why we're paying you $80 thousand per month...

knuckles didn't do any heavy lifting. He basically lauded "Vince" for creative ways of cutting prices to sell his product, couched as "consumer centric mindset." That must be a consumer wanting a lot more of something tangible for his money.

Thanks "Vince"! That's why we're paying you $80 thousand per month...

I’m excited about the emphasis on fan engagement! It’s best to get out ahead of the changing consumer mind-set. I think there are a lot of ideas yet to be cultivated that can increase the intrinsic value of the experience. “Zipp” - I’m sure even you have some perspective on this that can put UofL ahead of the curve. Think about other stadiums/arenas you’ve visited and what aspects you enjoyed. I’m sure Vince would love to hear from you and others. A great idea I experienced in Chicago was the Bears allowing season ticket holders to go on the field one game each year for pregame warmups. It was really cool and a great way to further connect with the team.

Reactions: kentuckyshame
"Vince" needs help with branding and brand imagery. That's an effort to create value in the mind of the customer. It's not value created simply by making the product cheaper. That's unfortunately what you get when you assume your AD has transferable skills but no marketing background.

And I'm afraid it's just a spiral downward. Value-wise, how much cheaper does the product already seem to be? Ask the people in the lower arena who are paying $5,000 per seat if they think they're getting fair value for their money.

"Consumer centric" is another way of saying "I'm a numbers/data guy."

What is Branding, and Why is Branding Important?

"Vince" needs help with branding and brand imagery. That's an effort to create value in the mind of the customer. It's not value created simply by making the product cheaper. That's unfortunately what you get when you assume your AD has transferable skills but no marketing background.

And I'm afraid it's just a spiral downward. Value-wise, how much cheaper does the product already seem to be? Ask the people in the lower arena who are paying $5,000 per seat if they think they're getting fair value for their money...

Can I get a show of hands from everyone on the board that is SURPRISED to see “Zipp” listing all the CONS regarding the job performance of Vince Tyra....just as i suspected no hands, lots of laughs though.

And I'm afraid it's just a spiral downward. Value-wise, how much cheaper does the product already seem to be? Ask the people in the lower arena who are paying $5,000 per seat if they think they're getting fair value for their money.

"Consumer centric" is another way of saying "I'm a numbers/data guy."

I actually agree that the athletic department does need to undergo a re-branding. The whole L1C4 notion ended up being a farce. It’s now a slogan that unfortunately too many identify with upheaval at best and scandal at worst. A first good step at this is to reingage with fans. The trust was broken and now is the time to repair that break. So we are dealing with that along with the crosswinds of changing consumer dynamics (in addition to an altered tax system that no longer incentivizes ticket “donations”). Long story short is that improving the experience for the consumer and re-establishing buy-in with the fanbase is the most prudent course of action.

Reactions: Art79 and zipp
My number 1 Con???

You don't give an established program to a rookie AD..... unless nobody else was interested. (See how that works?)

We didn't hire a "rookie" HC this time. CBP1 and Charlie were the rookies.

We hired an established Championship producing HC.

If you think Satt is a "rookie", how do you justify the VT hire? (Who I think is doing a pretty good job so far)

I was referring to Hayden, not Satterfield. Thus #5 from the OP list.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
Can I get a show of hands from everyone on the board that is SURPRISED to see “Zipp” listing all the CONS regarding the job performance of Vince Tyra....just as i suspected no hands, lots of laughs though.
To my knowledge, I didn't compose a one-sided list as you did. I can actually give "Vince" credit for a couple things. Doesn't hurt me or my talking points...

For me, the number one Pro for Vince's performance would have to be 0 NCAA violations, as opposed to 37 separate incidents that the previous administration admitted occurred from 2010-2014, plus 2 more that occurred in 2017 (Fair and Johnson).

So we engage, and speaking of coaches...

If there was a silver lining in this season's cloud, it's that Stupes now has a guaranteed contact thru 2038. He should be asking for his name to be put on the school. The guy's a self-promotional genius even if he's a little short on actual football IQ...
Stoops University
University of Stoops
Stoops State University
Stoops A&M University
Stoops Tech?
They have lots of possibilities. But what will Cal say?

Reactions: earsky
I think tyra’s only shortcoming has been on getting big-time individual donors back in the fold. That relationship will take time to build if it’s even possible they come back. However, he’s doing good things on the corporate front.

For me, the number one Pro for Vince's performance would have to be 0 NCAA violations, as opposed to 37 separate incidents that the previous administration admitted occurred from 2010-2014, plus 2 more that occurred in 2017 (Fair and Johnson).
Does "Vince" have to perform for 20+ years or is 15 months acceptable? And if we have losing programs, will you be proud to wear a "clean" T-shirt?

If academics hold up, you can get one of those T-shirts as well...

I think tyra’s only shortcoming has been on getting big-time individual donors back in the fold. That relationship will take time to build if it’s even possible they come back. However, he’s doing good things on the corporate front.
What's he doing on the "corporate front"?...

I'll belly laugh plenty when I start reading those Neeli accomplishments... :p
To be fair (not your strong suit) the accomplishments of a university president must be measured over a longer term and with some appreciation for goals and aspirations of the university. Way too early to assess Dr. Bendapudi.

To be fair (not your strong suit) the accomplishments of a university president must be measured over a longer term and with some appreciation for goals and aspirations of the university. Way too early to assess Dr. Bendapudi.
I wasn't the one who brought her up, Einstein...

Little yum with planet fitness and KFB for charity work among athletes.
IIRC "Vince" LOST the corporate sponsor for the Yum practice facility. And PF had already been a longstanding sponsor. Does "Vince" now get credit for maintaining the status quo?

And exactly how much money is the Farm Bureau donating? I don't recall the number...

IIRC "Vince" LOST the corporate sponsor for the Yum practice facility. And PF had already been a longstanding sponsor. Does "Vince" now get credit for maintaining the status quo?

And exactly how much money is the Farm Bureau donating? I don't recall the number...
Pretty sure the facility was just little yum by default. Not sure if we got much out of that existing sponsorship on the practice facility, so if you’ve got numbers I’d like to see them.

KFB numbers haven’t been released, so I’d be curious to hear that as well.

As far as planet fitness goes, I’m sure they were donating a lot less than they are now. I don’t recall them being on anything.

Not for you and I. However, there are plenty of AD's in the country who would have given another if not a couple more years
There is no way any competent AD would have kept Petrino after last season. The revenue lost over the next few years from fans abandoning the program would dwarf any buyout.

Curious, what are those couple things?
Resigning the woman's basketball and baseball coaches come right to mind. Bringing in Mack to get the basketball program back on track would be another. And it's early but it looks like he made a good football hire also

Pretty sure the facility was just little yum by default. Not sure if we got much out of that existing sponsorship on the practice facility, so if you’ve got numbers I’d like to see them.

KFB numbers haven’t been released, so I’d be curious to hear that as well.

As far as planet fitness goes, I’m sure they were donating a lot less than they are now. I don’t recall them being on anything.
PF has donated approximately 6 mil over the years on separate athletic projects. To keep them in the fold is a big accomplishment for Vince.

Resigning the woman's basketball and baseball coaches come right to mind. Bringing in Mack to get the basketball program back on track would be another. And it's early but it looks like he made a good football hire also

I agree with everything you said, but I was asking “Zipp” cause I’m curious what the couple of things are that he is giving Vince credit for.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT