ADVERTISEMENT

Tyra halftime interview - elephant in the room...

Just a sign of the times. The politicians fired a good man who acted with the universities' best interest in mind. And some "fans" seem thrilled about it. You can't be a real UofL fan and think this is a good thing or a fresh start.

Meanwhile, the rest of the country thinks we're idiots for firing him. He'll be the only name on someone's list real soon.
I think your perception is wrong. The rest of the world wondered how CRP was not fired after Sypher. Then wondered who was actually involved when strippers and prostitutes were discovered in an athletic dorm and again why no action against CRP. Most people don’t believe it was simply Pitino going rogue. It’s obvious he had a lot of support besides fans to last as long as he did. That’s not my point of view but it is a frequent one outside of KY.

I think your perception is wrong. The rest of the world wondered how CRP was not fired after Sypher. Then wondered who was actually involved when strippers and prostitutes were discovered in an athletic dorm and again why no action against CRP. Most people don’t believe it was simply Pitino going rogue. It’s obvious he had a lot of support besides fans to last as long as he did. That’s not my point of view but it is a frequent one outside of KY.

No they don't. You think college fans across the country are worried about UofL cheating with Alabama, Duke and UK out there? The picture you attempt to paint is ridiculous. Regular fans of college sports can't tell you what conference we're in. Hardcore fans would like to see them go after the real cheaters. And most fans think the entire system is bull shit from top to bottom.

Unfortunately, to be a fan of college athletics with your way of thinking, translates into gullible moron. And that's why the sports are in trouble. It wasn't so so long ago, professional wrestling was more popular than football.

National perception is fine to a point... If it's well founded, you pay attention; otherwise you don't. Anyone who thought Jurich needed to be fired is/was clueless. And they're just as clueless if they think he will be readily replaced...

No they don't. You think college fans across the country are worried about UofL cheating with Alabama, Duke and UK out there? The picture you attempt to paint is ridiculous. Regular fans of college sports can't tell you what conference we're in. Hardcore fans would like to see them go after the real cheaters. And most fans think the entire system is bull shit from top to bottom.

Unfortunately, to be a fan of college athletics with your way of thinking, translates into gullible moron. And that's why the sports are in trouble. It wasn't so so long ago, professional wrestling was more popular than football.
So in your thinking you say the regular sports fan doesn’t know what conference we are in but yet they know who are AD is? Yeah, I trust anything you say about national perception, right. Who’s the AD at Duke, Alabama, ND?

Reactions: Knucklehank1
So in your thinking you say the regular sports fan doesn’t know what conference we are in but yet they know who are AD is? Yeah, I trust anything you say about national perception, right. Who’s the AD at Duke, Alabama, ND?

Nah, regular fans don't know who TJ is... But all the serious players in college Athletics do. After all he was one of them.

College sports is going the way of WWE. If the system doesn't restore confidence then it's in trouble. And what these d-bags did is a problem and not a solution.

FWIW, I get it. Ignorance is bliss. But it still not something to be proud of... Being a hardcore fan of college athletics these days is like being proud of playing slot machines.

National perception is fine to a point... If it's well founded, you pay attention; otherwise you don't. Anyone who thought Jurich needed to be fired is/was clueless. And they're just as clueless if they think he will be readily replaced...
Never said he needed to be fired but I understand why he was.

Nah, regular fans don't know who TJ is... But all the serious players in college Athletics do. After all he was one of them.

College sports is going the way of WWE. If the system doesn't restore confidence then it's in trouble. And what these d-bags did is a problem and not a solution.

FWIW, I get it. Ignorance is bliss. But it still not something to be proud of... Being a hardcore fan of college athletics these days is like being proud of playing slot machines.
Not sure I follow your lingo but I don’t think TJ would refer to himself as a “serious player in athletics.” He’s a former Athletic Director and Vice President of Athletics of a major learning institution, a university of higher learning. Maybe people forget that.

Not sure I follow your lingo but I don’t think TJ would refer to himself as a “serious player in athletics.” He’s a former Athletic Director and Vice President of Athletics of a major learning institution, a university of higher learning. Maybe people forget that.

I disagree. He's been very active in conferences, selection committees, alignments.

Oh hell, here comes "Mr. Gullible's" speech on the student athlete and how valuable an education is...

And whatever fame Jurich gained for himself came well BEFORE this Pitino ordeal. The guy is legend because of his accomplishments...

And whatever fame Jurich gained for himself came well BEFORE this Pitino ordeal. The guy is legend because of his accomplishments...
Yep, that’s why he’s the James J Corbett Memorial Award Winner... not. What is it you ask? Why it’s the award given by the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics (NACDA) for the collegiate administrator who through the years has devoted themselves to intercollegiate athletics and worked unceasingly for its betterment. Maybe he was going to win next year or the year after.

Yep, great honor 10 years ago. And I wouldn’t exactly say that one award made him a legend. Please let’s move on and give Vince a chance to continue Tom’s greatness.
I agree 100%
As long as Vince doesn't exploit the University with Nepotism as Jurich did, he will be fine.

Lol - cronyism is a far worse affliction - given that people typically have more friends than they do offspring.

And cronyism is the primary reason Tyra has the job...
Ghost I do respect your posts although I don’t agree with all of them but you do realize that TJ was also guilty of that by hiring his friend Crapthorpe and also Hermann without doing proper searches.

K-rag was widely hailed as a good hire when it was made. As TJ has acknowledged, the issue was about "fit" coming in after Petrino. K-rag's coaching was a disaster in the making on the heels of Petrino, not unlike Sirmon is at the moment.

Julie Hermann never had any issues at U of L that I know. Within reason, it doesn't matter what her track record was elsewhere as long as it didn't manifest itself here.

Jurich is a master recruiter of coaches and staff. When you do it enough, you will make a mistake or two because no one's perfect. If the new Cat is half that good, it will be a miracle considering his credentials...

K-rag was widely hailed as a good hire when it was made. As TJ has acknowledged, the issue was about "fit" coming in after Petrino. K-rag's coaching was a disaster in the making on the heels of Petrino, not unlike Sirmon is at the moment.

Julie Hermann never had any issues at U of L that I know. Within reason, it doesn't matter what her track record was elsewhere as long as it didn't manifest itself here.

Jurich is a master recruiter of coaches and staff. When you do it enough, you will make a mistake or two because no one's perfect. If the new Cat is half that good, it will be a miracle considering his credentials...
Sorry to differ.. oops no I don’t. TJ’s hiring of Crapthorpe was graded an “F” at the time by the NCAAP not only because no official search was conducted but also no minorities were given an opportunity.

Hermann’s issues were known at the time of her hire, they just weren’t shared with the fan base at the time and only disclosed later after she became a problem somewhere else. I guess you refer to that as great administrative skills.

Sorry to differ.. oops no I don’t. TJ’s hiring of Crapthorpe was graded an “F” at the time by the NCAAP not only because no official search was conducted but also no minorities were given an opportunity...
You can probably find someone else who didn't like the K-rag hire. And there were a hundred others who did, which was about the ratio. Only after he got here was it widely viewed that he was gonna be a bust. Not that that gives Jurich a pass, but hindsight's always 20/20.
...Hermann’s issues were known at the time of her hire, they just weren’t shared with the fan base at the time and only disclosed later after she became a problem somewhere else. I guess you refer to that as great administrative skills.
Petrino's issues were widely known before his rehire, and he's been a model citizen. It's not the person's history, it's what the the history predicts HERE. Among his many other skills, Jurich was a master at managing that. And he's not responsible for what someone does elsewhere after that person leaves his organization.

You can stop now before you disappear in my rear view mirror...

Sorry to differ.. oops no I don’t. TJ’s hiring of Crapthorpe was graded an “F” at the time by the NCAAP not only because no official search was conducted but also no minorities were given an opportunity...
You can probably find someone else who didn't like the K-rag hire. And there were a hundred others who did, which was about the ratio. Only after he got here was it widely viewed that he was gonna be a bust. Not that that gives Jurich a pass, but hindsight's always 20/20.
...Hermann’s issues were known at the time of her hire, they just weren’t shared with the fan base at the time and only disclosed later after she became a problem somewhere else. I guess you refer to that as great administrative skills.
Petrino's issues were widely known before his rehire, and he's been a model citizen. It's not the person's history, it's what the history predicts HERE. Among his many other skills, Jurich was a master at managing that. And he's not responsible for what someone does elsewhere after that person leaves his organization.

Last edited:
NCAAP!? :rolleyes: We've been one of the most NCAAP friendly Universities out there.
Well then if you don’t believe it, I challenge you to find because it was out there.

Petrino's issues were widely known before his rehire, and he's been a model citizen. It's not the person's history, it's what the the history predicts HERE. Among his many other skills, Jurich was a master at managing that. And he's not responsible for what someone does elsewhere after that person leaves his organization.

Exactly hindsight is 20-20 and it was TJ’s and every other egotist’s belief that every decision they make is the correct one. If Krags had won 5 NCs we would have overlooked the fact that he gave his friend a job, a damn good job but he fell on his face. Because he sucked as a HC is one thing and that’s hindsight, that TJ didn’t follow proper hiring process is part of the evidence you kept asking for. As for being in the rear view mirror, I’d rather have you in my headlights.

Well then if you don’t believe it, I challenge you to find because it was out there.

We hired Ron Cooper in 1995, 27 years ago. Denny embraced the dunk at a time when it was considered an urban thing. Take your slanted history somewhere else.

...Exactly hindsight is 20-20 and it was TJ’s and every other egotist’s belief that every decision they make is the correct one. If Krags had won 5 NCs we would have overlooked the fact that he gave his friend a job, a damn good job but he fell on his face. Because he sucked as a HC is one thing and that’s hindsight, that TJ didn’t follow proper hiring process is part of the evidence you kept asking for. As for being in the rear view mirror, I’d rather have you in my headlights.
Speaking of evidence, I'll have a helping that shows K-rag was a friend of Jurich. And not necessarily a "good friend" as our new Cat name drops on everyone...

Impeccable%20Standards_zpszp4kdswz.jpg

Impeccable%20Standards_zpszp4kdswz.jpg.html

Last edited:
Ghost I do respect your posts although I don’t agree with all of them but you do realize that TJ was also guilty of that by hiring his friend Crapthorpe and also Hermann without doing proper searches.
That was sort of my point. I agree that there were / are issues with the university that needed to be addressed. grissom and postel have made a pretty public show of decrying their belief that the athletic department was rife with cronyism and, suffered from a lack of transparency.

How do they highlight their leadership? By hiring grissom’s unqualified business protégé as AD at 100K less than Jurich was making and, make the presidential search closed.

Like him or not, at least Jurich wasn’t a freaking hypocrite.

Last edited:
That was sort of my point. I agree that there were / are issues with the university that needed to be addressed. grissom and postel have made a pretty public show of decrying their belief that the athletic department was rife with cronyism and, suffered from a lack of transparency.

How do they highlight their leadership? By hiring grissom’s unqualified business protégé as AD at 100K less than Jurich was making and, make the presidential search closed.

Like him or not, at least Jurich wasn’t a freaking hypocrite.

While i think an open search for university President is foolish because it will dissuade some top level candidates from running, the Board needs to have some increased level of faculty input into the decision.

Tyra was hired as an acting and then interim AD.

Tyra was hired as an acting and then interim AD.
Proves my point about grissom's "do as I say - not as I do" approach even more. Eliminate the cronyism and there is not a scintilla of justification to pay an unqualified person 1.2 million to be an interim AD.

Points well taken but let’s not pretend this is unprecedented. I Don’t want to start a political back and forth but where on Trump’s resume did it say he was qualified to be the POTUS? He had no political background other than he voted. History will say if he was qualified or not.

Proves my point about grissom's "do as I say - not as I do" approach even more. Eliminate the cronyism and there is not a scintilla of justification to pay an unqualified person 1.2 million to be an interim AD.

In my experience, shorter term contract type employees get paid a premium for their services. And if you believe that athletics needs to be fixed, which the Board does, then Tyra is being appropriately compensated or perhaps even under paid.

Points well taken but let’s not pretend this is unprecedented. I Don’t want to start a political back and forth but where on Trump’s resume did it say he was qualified to be the POTUS? He had no political background other than he voted. History will say if he was qualified or not.
Lol - I'd say history already has a pretty good handle on this president.

And as much as I appreciated the opportunity to take a low key shot at Orange Julius, it's not really a great analogy. None of the people discussed - not grissom, not postel, nor Tyra were voted in to be anything.

Reactions: zipp
In my experience, shorter term contract type employees get paid a premium for their services. And if you believe that athletics needs to be fixed, which the Board does, then Tyra is being appropriately compensated or perhaps even under paid.
I won't argue with your logic however your answer assumes two things.

1. Tyra is a short term employee.
2. Tyra is anything more than the athletic department's version of postel - a grissom rubber stamp.

Reactions: Niterider55
Lol - I'd say history already has a pretty good handle on this president.

And as much as I appreciated the opportunity to take a low key shot at Orange Julius, it's not really a great analogy. None of the people discussed - not grissom, not postel, nor Tyra were voted in to be anything.
The analogy was about being “qualified” not voted in. Sorry you missed that. My former boss who was a principal for a consulting firm, thought as long as you had a degree, you could do about anything. His favorite saying was “you got a degree, don’t you” whenever he asked us to do important tasks.

The analogy was about being “qualified” not voted in. Sorry you missed that. My former boss who was a principal for a consulting firm, thought as long as you had a degree, you could do about anything. His favorite saying was “you got a degree, don’t you” whenever he asked us to do important tasks.
You’re former boss’s thoughts on what it means to be qualified notwithstanding, qualifications - or the lack of - matter and, are a pretty good predictor of success.

If you own a business consulting firm, it stands to reason that you would look to hire MBAs and other candidates that have been prepared in the field of business. Could someone with an electrical engineering, JD or, art history degree be successful? Of course but, given their lack of qualifications for the position, 9 times out of 10, they’re not even getting an interview - much less being hired for the job - nor should they.

And - not to be political but, we’re seeing that play out with trump as his lack of qualifications (and temperament) for the position in which he’s in, have been a detriment to his administration and the country.

Reactions: nccardfan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT