ADVERTISEMENT

Tony Hicks- "Redemption Year" For UofL

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
Following in the footsteps of his good friend, Damion Lee, who left Drexel for U of L for his fifth year of school, Hicks will take advantage of the NCAA's rule allowing student-athletes who have graduated but have one more year of eligibility to transfer and play right away.

He is trading in the iconic, brick Palestra, with its hangar-like ceilings and red and blue bleachers, for the sleek, new-age KFC Yum! Center, and he is excited to play for the guy in the photo he just snapped, embarking on what he calls a "redemption year" for the Louisville basketball program after the school self-imposed a postseason ban that cut short Lee's only season at U of L.

Hicks was thinking he would commit to Oregon and play for the Ducks next season, but an early January visit to U of L sealed the deal for the Cards. He said Pitino suggested he think about it and sleep on his decision, but he didn't want to wait if there was an open spot for the taking.

It was too good to pass up, Hicks said, especially after seeing the success Lee and fellow graduate transfer Trey Lewis had at Louisville this season.

I'm hoping he can provide some more senior leadership along with Mangok and maybe like Lee and Lewis provided. He has said that he is working really hard to get into Louisville shape and that he wants to help out on the defensive end which sound like good signs.

Also he simply brings more depth at the guard spots which look like his right now.

Snider/Mitchell/Hicks/McMahon/King

I read the article in the C-J the other day. The kid didn't even play for Penn this season even though he was eligible. The coach said something about he was bringing a "different system." Yeah sure. Something doesn't compute here. o_O

I read the article in the C-J the other day. The kid didn't even play for Penn this season even though he was eligible. The coach said something about he was bringing a "different system." Yeah sure. Something doesn't compute here.
That's old news. They parted ways, he got his degree, and he's been planning to make his last year productive here. Good for him...

Reactions: KerryRhodes
I read the article in the C-J the other day. The kid didn't even play for Penn this season even though he was eligible. The coach said something about he was bringing a "different system." Yeah sure. Something doesn't compute here. o_O

You're right but prepare for an all out assault by the fan boys for questioning this kid. More likely to be a chemistry killer than senior leader. Chriz 2.0 I'm afraid

Reactions: awf
Lee vouched for him, and Pitino offered him a scholarship. That's good enough for me. If he screws it up, he'll be shown the way out. This is a win-win situation for the Cardinals. The kid is very talented.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
Lee vouched for him, and Pitino offered him a scholarship. That's good enough for me. If he screws it up, he'll be shown the way out. This is a win-win situation for the Cardinals. The kid is very talented.

It's not a win-win situation if he ruins chemistry on a team good enough to have a very special year. You know Pitino has "offered scholarships" to several knuckleheads who didn't work out. So not sure why that makes this "offer" above any criticism. Cue Card yours is the fan boy "UL/Pitino can do no wrong" approach. I don't get it

Nope. ...

I'm with Jay here. ..

We should all know the future by now. ..

What hasn't come to pass is what has already came to pass. ...

We read palms as well. ...

Sarcasm out. (Yes sarcasm speaks)

You've been spoken to

What is really unbelievable about some in this thread is how the kids got screwed over last year when they hired a new coach and the coach didn't think the junior leader with a degree was the right fit for his new system and pretty much told him he wouldn't play. ..

Now he is coming to Louisville. ..

Yeah let's forget that the new coach is a total d!ck for doing that and ditching a college kid and place the blame on the kid...

It's not a win-win situation if he ruins chemistry on a team good enough to have a very special year. You know Pitino has "offered scholarships" to several knuckleheads who didn't work out. So not sure why that makes this "offer" above any criticism. Cue Card yours is the fan boy "UL/Pitino can do no wrong" approach. I don't get it
There is no reason to think Hicks won't blend in, as Lee and Lewis did. The only thing that spoiled any chemistry this year was top administration going off half cocked.

No reason huh? Might want to research the kid. Pitino could sign a serial killer and some of you fan boys would be on board. "If Rick offered him, it's good enough for me!!11!!" Some of you are ridiculous if you don't think this kid is potentially trouble based on his past. Like I said Chriz 2.0. But Pitino offered him too so........

Guess I'm a glass half full kind of guy Jay. I apologize if my positive outlook bothers you. It's who I am. The best advice I can offer you free of charge is to put me on ignore since my positive outlook disturbs you. Really, I'm OK with that.

As far as Hicks,he sticks out like a sore thumb if he comes in and throws the chemistry out of whack.There won't be any doubt if chemistry is an issue.I don't know that we have any other choice but to trust the coach on this one...

You're right but prepare for an all out assault by the fan boys for questioning this kid. More likely to be a chemistry killer than senior leader. Chriz 2.0 I'm afraid

You know maybe you're right about Hicks. However why not give him a chance to prove you wrong? I mean at least I hope you'd rather be wrong than right in this situation, correct? Why completely condemn the guy before he even sets foot on campus?

Well at least you're going into it with your usual Jay Reimenschneider positive outlook.

debbie-downer_zps51e1c560.png

Reactions: JohnCard28
Eastwood there's lots of ostriches here. This will probably get deleted but much as I love Pitino as a coach, I really wish he'd just move on. Not like this job would have a shortage of highly qualified candidates. Sick of all the drama quite frankly.

Eastwood there's lots of ostriches here. This will probably get deleted but much as I love Pitino as a coach, I really wish he'd just move on. Not like this job would have a shortage of highly qualified candidates. Sick of all the drama quite frankly.
You are correct. This looks like the basketball version of the Monica Lewinsky affair. These sordid scandals should not be what UL basketball is about.

You know maybe you're right about Hicks. However why not give him a chance to prove you wrong? I mean at least I hope you'd rather be wrong than right in this situation, correct? Why completely condemn the guy before he even sets foot on campus?
I think the answer to that question is becoming more clear each time Jay makes a new post or responds to other posts, not that it makes any difference. It is what it is.

Right! Shouldn't question Saint Rick for ANYTHING. He's never been wrong. Never recruited knuckleheads who have been team cancers. No siree Bob!

Now we know where Zipp's been while we've been waiting for an update on the Yum Center financials!
Just trying to save you guys from the 'ostriches'. A place where you can be right, if that's important to you. That place may not be here...

Right! Shouldn't question Saint Rick for ANYTHING. He's never been wrong. Never recruited knuckleheads who have been team cancers. No siree Bob!
No one has canonized Pitino. Extremist arguments are not relevant.

For me, it comes down to credentials... Jay vs. Rick... Rick vs. Jay...

Poor little feller' still obsessed with a crying chick. Looks in the mirror and knows he's a big guy. :D

What time does SuCkS play tomorrow? Im sure crying saxophone gurl has wiped her
tears and is ready to go.

Youre not foolin anyone , grover. Run tell that over on crapillustrated.......

What time does SuCkS play tomorrow? Im sure crying saxophone gurl has wiped her
tears and is ready to go.

Youre not foolin anyone , grover. Run tell that over on crapillustrated.......
With all of the big fat targets UK has like Coach Cow, World Wide Wes, Stoops, some of their assistants and some of their odd players, you picked a school girl to pick on. Man up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT